PDA

View Full Version : Spell Selection

Algovil
07-01-2012, 01:53
A thing come to my mind. Last game we when we rolled for spells, we rolled one dice at a time, switching for signature if we liked to. But this means that we could roll the same spell several times, even after switching.

What is the correct thing to do, should all dice be rolled at the same time, and when several dice come up the same side, you are allow to choose that spell for free?

misterdance
07-01-2012, 02:00
Can't take the same spell twice, unless its the signature spell, or unless otherwise specified in the relevant army book.

Roll for all spells in the lore simultaneously (assuming a single wizard). Doubles allow you to select one spell (that has not been rolled for - still no doubling up on spells).

So, I have a level 4. I roll "2", "3", "4", and "4". I switch my second "4" for a "6" and let's say for ****s and giggles I'll switch "2" for my signature spell. That's why taking a level 4 is best if you want that covetted #6 spell - chances of rolling doubles is increased.

Algovil
07-01-2012, 02:11
OK thanks!

Tarian
07-01-2012, 04:23
Incidentally, the signature spell doesn't count for the doubling, and having Loremaster or a similar ability, or the ability to choose, doesn't count either.

Aluinn
07-01-2012, 05:53
Apologies to Algovil, I don't mean to derail your thread but there's something related that I was wondering about:

If you have multiple wizards using the same Lore, let's say a level 4 and a level 2, how do you roll for spells? The way I've been doing it is to roll for one of them at a time, choosing whichever wizard I'd prefer as the first, but I'm not sure if this is totally proper; the BRB is a bit unclear.

I also hear some people say that with a Level 4 and a Level 2 using the same lore, you're guaranteed to get any spell in it that you want, but this would only be the case if you rolled for both wizards together and did the swapping at the same time.

Iraf
07-01-2012, 06:05
Page 490 of the reference section, 3rd paragraph down, last sentence.

"If your army includes more than one Wizard, you can choose the order in which you generate their spells."

So yes, you've been doing it correctly Aluinn.

Aluinn
07-01-2012, 06:48
Page 490 of the reference section, 3rd paragraph down, last sentence.

"If your army includes more than one Wizard, you can choose the order in which you generate their spells."

So yes, you've been doing it correctly Aluinn.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that. I think maybe I just got confused by seeing some people do it wrong to "save time" :).

T10
07-01-2012, 11:25
Indeed, if you resolve spell selection one wizard at the time you run the risk of the first wizard getting stuck with a spell you'd prefer to see on another. "Releasing" the spell by taking the signature spell instead introduces the risk of not getting it at all!

Harwammer
07-01-2012, 15:35
Do people think this is a legitimate/fair order:

My fire wizard first
My two shadow wizards at the same time
My beast wizard last
?

Archis
07-01-2012, 16:08
Do people think this is a legitimate/fair order:

My fire wizard first
My two shadow wizards at the same time
My beast wizard last
?

No, do them one at a time, shadow wizards seperate

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Iraf
07-01-2012, 16:16
Archis is correct, every wizard seperately. You choose order.

Zirkonicky
10-01-2012, 07:13
Roll for all spells in the lore simultaneously (assuming a single wizard). Doubles allow you to select one spell (that has not been rolled for - still no doubling up on spells).

Arent you supposed to Re Roll the doubles? So not CHOOSE the other spell but roll again?

Mr. Shine
10-01-2012, 07:27
Arent you supposed to Re Roll the doubles? So not CHOOSE the other spell but roll again?

No.

Page 162 of the mini-rulebook, under Spell Generation, just before Signature Spells:

"Otherwise, if you roll a spell twice... ...you must normally replace the duplicate spell with a another of your choice from the same Lore."

Zirkonicky
10-01-2012, 07:36
nice! I didn't know that, I always used the rules from my WoC armybook, where it says that if you roll a double you have to roll again

Mr. Shine
10-01-2012, 08:01
nice! I didn't know that, I always used the rules from my WoC armybook, where it says that if you roll a double you have to roll again

Check the errata ;)

Zirkonicky
10-01-2012, 17:55
*shame* I know :#