PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle Chaos Warriors: How to Beat

Awilla the Hun
07-01-2012, 10:01
Some months from now, I'm going to be taking my peasant focussed Bretonnians to a tournament. In that tournament is someone who will take Nurgle focussed Chaos Warriors. How can I defeat him, should the time come to play against him? What can I expect to face?

Death Korp
07-01-2012, 14:31
Well, I guess large units of Chaos Warriors and Marauders will be there, along with either a mean Chaos Lord or a Nurgle Sorcerer lord (depending if he marks the entire army nurgle...). A unit of Nurgle Chaos Knights with the Banner of Rage is a near given, as its nasty and part of the theme. The rest... I have no idea, but thats what will definately be in.
Peasants 1 on 1 with all the Chaos units are going to struggle, as Chaos armys love killing weaker units like the peasants. So, magical support is going to be key, with the Lore of Life making your peasants tougher against high strength Chaos attacks. Then, with any knight units you have, bring them along to flank enemies to gain some high strength lance attacks.

To be honest, you'll be struggling with mainly peasants against Warriors of Chaos in general :(

OldMaster
07-01-2012, 15:18
Expect a lot of misses.

The Mark of Nurgle has two things: protect them from missile fire and offer additional protection in close combat against units with a WS of 3 or 6. (against Warriors.)
So when you attack them, your WS of 3 becomes 2 and you'll hit on 5+, when at range, the effect is a flat -1 modifier - so, again, 5+ or worse to hit.
Keep in mind that the modifier to your WS applies only when you attack HIM, so he will strike against yhour unmodified WS! I've seen Nurgle players pull that on people, or maybe he is oblivious himself.

Then as far as I know Brets don't have much against psychology - so be wary of Hellcannons and Fear-causing things like Knights and Spawn.

Don't think that Nurgle Warriors are all about defense though - his strongest unit will most likely carry the Banner of Rage. giving it Frenzy and combinging the Marks of Khorne and Nurgle. That's bound be a pretty hard unit to deal with, so you're best off to redirect it somewhere - it is pretty easy for Warriors not to win their points cost back if they don't to kill things they want.
This unit is easy to detect, as due to Frenzy, the opponent will need to check for Berserk Rage as soon as he gets 16" away from you (or 19" if it's a Knight unit). If he doesn't and turns up to have the banner he's downright cheating. beaten to this one, I hope you'll be able to deal with it

Apart from that, if you're going to kill something in clsoe combat, flanking with knights is still your best shot. Chances are he doesn't have a BSB and focuses on magic instead - in this case, a flank charge will suffice to take their units down in one turn.
Since he's more than likely to survive your shooting (I think it takes 54 arrows to kill one Warrior with a shield and MoN?), I reckon you will need to try.
Steadfast should work well against Nurgle.

Lore of Nurgle can be mildly annoying to your Damsels and any Knights you might have but should otherwise be an OK Lore to face. If he will have a BSB you will probably outgun him,as Chaos Sorcerers are expensive. Watch out for the infamous Infernal Puppet, though - Miscast templates eat up Peasants pretty fast.

Talking about Peasants - let me again stress you to destroy the Hellcannon at all costs should you face it! You should know how dangerous templates are to 20mm base infantry in 8th edition - and with a high Strength he will destroy more of them than you would want to miss.

I personally rarely have points left to protect my Sorcerers properly - shoud he have a Sorcerer Lord then you will probably be able to assassinate him. If you play against a Warshrine, don't waste your ammunition on it, as it is made of solid diamond, but do try and bring it down with combat resolution.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

Awilla the Hun
07-01-2012, 19:05
My infantry is entirely WS2 anyway. What effect does it have on that?

One thing my army is tolerably effective at is psychology-I have enough decently placed Commissars/Knights to provide revolutionary inspiration/peasants' duty to most of my men, giving them ld of around 8 on average. The Comrade-General has 9, and it can be momentarily boosted to 10. The Hellcannon, with my profusion of light horse and pegasi, (and, come to think of it, enormous numbers of men to soak up casualties) shouldn't be that much of an issue.

The main problem, though, seems to be that damned invulnerable Chaos infantry and cavalry, something I always have issues dealing with in a fight. Peasants have a habit of turning into Combat Resolution dispensors for them, ruining cavalry counter attacks. On the other hand, I have quite enough bodies to stage some handy redirection, if it comes down to that, and my Trebuchets could hopefully worry him.

zielonkak
07-01-2012, 20:54
I would expect to see chosen with Halbreds, frenzy banner, with mark of nurgle.. Warriors will be nurgle or khorne with Halbreds. Most likely in units of 18. One may have flaming banner and one may have leadership banner or razor standard. Knights will be either nurgle or khorne. Probably won't see spawns. He will probably run 2 units of hounds also.

Tae
07-01-2012, 21:22
The main problem, though, seems to be that damned invulnerable Chaos infantry and cavalry, something I always have issues dealing with in a fight.

What ward save would that be?

Infantry will get a 6+ parry save in combat if they use only shields (i.e. no extra hand weapon/halberds/great weapons) and only to the front against 'regular' (i.e. not stomp/thunderstomp/impact hits) attacks.

Knights will get no ward save at all.

N.B. This is on the basis of their basic equipment and that they're not Mark of Tzeentch'd, they may get a ward save from other sources (i.e. magic banners).

Awilla the Hun
07-01-2012, 22:41
I don't refer to an invulnerable save. I refer to the issues of WS2, S4 infantry and tiny, tiny arrows backed by very few knights going up against Chaos Warriors and suchlike.

TheOneHawk
08-01-2012, 05:53
Trebuchet and magic gunline, imo. You'll be ridiculously outmatched in any combat. Even if you flank on all sides, warriors will easily kill enough to undo whatever static combat res you have.

Tae
08-01-2012, 10:10
I don't refer to an invulnerable save. I refer to the issues of WS2, S4 infantry and tiny, tiny arrows backed by very few knights going up against Chaos Warriors and suchlike.

My apologies, that'll teach me to browse the tactic's forum when I'm tired :p

PeG
08-01-2012, 13:56
I am not sure how many points you are playing but in larger games expect both the puppet and black tongue (they are better in 8th compared to 7th).

This combo means that a caster lord that you might bring is likely to get sucked into the warp (or have some other nasty thing happen to him) the first time he fails a spell (or miscasts by himself).

When playing WoC i usually bring some characters with MR giving key units a decent protection against direct magical damage. Nothing will prevent you from giving buffs to your own units though.

I often leave the BSB at home so that is a potential wekaness as others have already said.

I am usually no that worried about Trebs. They will wont fire that many times during the games and usually dont kill that many warriors to be a problem (they might do more damage if your opponent likes to bring huge blocks of maruaders which is another popular way of playing WoC).

You need to have enough units to prevent him from getting a flank on your army (if he gets his knights on the flank you are toast) and you need to get flank charges on him to be able to win. You will also need to get the charge with your knights to get lance bonus while chaos knights most likely wont have lances.

Warrior of Chaos
08-01-2012, 18:14
Some months from now, I'm going to be taking my peasant focussed Bretonnians to a tournament. In that tournament is someone who will take Nurgle focussed Chaos Warriors. How can I defeat him, should the time come to play against him? What can I expect to face?

Ugh. I don't envy you.

* If you have trebs make sure you destroy the almost obligatory hellcannon you may be facing.

* You need to get into the flanks. Marauders and hounds tend to die in droves, but you'll be hard pressed against just about anything else with Bret infantry.

* Use de-buffs on him if you got em'. Avoid Chosen and Knights like the plague.

* Make smart use of your Knights (bring lances and make sure you're the one who gets in the charge).