PDA

View Full Version : GW Kits with wrong instructions?

xxRavenxx
09-01-2012, 12:33
I was thinking today, about kits with misleading or wrong instructions.

This is mostly due to me building a droppod, and remembering its (presumably infamous?) instructions to glue the first part of the harnesses in backwards.

Not to mention that it doesn't suggest a build order for certain areas where you can block off the "plug in" sections by putting in another section first.

This then made me think of the current WHFB starter and its lack of unit stats and rules in the box, which while not an "error" was definately an oversight.

What it made me wonder though, is what other GW kits contain wrong instructions, if any?

Orrinocco
09-01-2012, 12:46
The Mournfang cavalry kit instructions has the wrong parts numbers assigned to the feet. Fortunately, each foot will only fit to one leg, so it's easy to get round

colonel kane trine
09-01-2012, 13:00
I dont think ive ever noticed any wrong instructions except for the plastic necromancer or nurgle lord. Not sure which of those 2 it is but the instructions show 1 bit of it as 2 parts

scarletsquig
09-01-2012, 13:29
Island of Blood lacking unit stats is pretty hilarious.

Buy game box then realise that you need to pay another 40 or so in army books before you can play it.

Osbad
09-01-2012, 14:05
Instructions are for whimps! ;)

Scammel
09-01-2012, 14:25
The Drop pod is the only one I've encountered which was outright wrong, I can't remember any issues from the Mournfangs. The Seekers of Slaanesh were also annoying, as they have separate 'frills' on the cheeks and it's not immediately clear that specific frills match up with specific bodies - I'd taken them all off the sprues and it took me around another 20 mins of mixing and matching the bits to find the right combos.

Hengest
09-01-2012, 15:03
Part of the challenge :-)
The older meccano kits all came with deliberate mistakes printed somewhere in the assembly instructions. Showing my age there.

StraightSilver
09-01-2012, 15:16
The Imperial Guard Valkyrie instructions don't tell you to put one of the canopy struts on (the bit in the middle that seperates the two perspex canopies).

It just suddenly appears in the next step! :(

And it isn't clear exactly how it fits. If you align it with the other struts on the cockpit the canopies don't fit!

Best thing is to actually glue it directly to the canopies, so the two are joined together and then put them on so that everything lines up.

Hengest
09-01-2012, 15:39
There you are
Subtly teaching you attention to detail, spatial mechanics and problem solving
Must be good for you
;-)

Binky
09-01-2012, 16:59
The Valkyrie instructions also show the fitting of a piece that isn't in the kit! That drove me mad for a while, hunting through all the sprues trying to find it!

The old metal LOTR Balrog came with instructions for assembling it with multipart metal wings, rather than the plastic wings it was actually supplied with!

Griefbringer
09-01-2012, 17:46
This then made me think of the current WHFB starter and its lack of unit stats and rules in the box, which while not an "error" was definately an oversight.

The previous starter set (Skull Pass) came with unit stats, but those had some oddities. For example the character models did not have their armour saving throws specified.

The bearded one
09-01-2012, 18:49
at least the BFSP booklet gave a simple explanation of the basic rules. With Island of Blood you just have to read 100 pages of the small rulebook first ><

How in Grungni's name could they have thought leaving that booklet out was a good idea? I mean.. seriously?

ashc
09-01-2012, 18:53
I don't think I have ever used instructions to assemble a mini.

The bearded one
09-01-2012, 18:55

Try assembling the hell pit abomination without them. You will never get it done.

colonel kane trine
09-01-2012, 19:31
I agree with that! The hellpit and stonehorn kits would suck without instructions.

Same with the necron arks I just got

stroller
09-01-2012, 20:16
Never had a problem with instructions. Shrugs.

Anvilbrow
09-01-2012, 20:24

Probably referring to "assembling" the minis in the Island of Blood...;)

You can't possibly have assembled a zombie dragon/terrorgheist without instructions...

Not to mention some of the others above.

ehlijen
09-01-2012, 20:45
The Valkyrie instructions also show the fitting of a piece that isn't in the kit! That drove me mad for a while, hunting through all the sprues trying to find it!

Same here. I actually went to the store to ask for help with that one (first time in 7 years of being in the hobby) and got the GW manager almost as mad as myself in the search for those bits. Didn't help that the area of the model in question isn't visible in any of the photos on the box to help clear up the confusion.

Griefbringer
09-01-2012, 21:39
If I am not mistaken, in the olden times GW used to sell things like metal dreadnoughts and war machines in blisters without any assemble instructions included. And some of these kits could contain quite a lot of parts.

I think I have read somewhere (old WD?) a mention of a person who managed to assemble metal eldar war walker in an interesting fashion: legs were attached to the place in the body where weapons should have gone, and vice versa.

IJW
09-01-2012, 21:53
The metal kits generally had much fewer parts than current plastic kits and they fitted together quite clearly.

The Rogue Trader era Eldar Dreadnought was specifically designed so that all the fixing points for limbs were the same size, that's how the War Walker was then added to the range.

Dreadnoughts, narrow end of torso at the bottom (8-10 parts):
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt403eldardreadnought.htm

War Walker, narrow end of torso at the top back (9 parts):
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt403eldwarwalk.htm

That said, I've seen several War Walkers where people put the torso piece the wrong way up and ended up with something really front-heavy, but they were the people where instructions wouldn't have helped anyway, if you get my drift...

Mastodon
09-01-2012, 22:09
Island of Blood lacking unit stats is pretty hilarious.

Buy game box then realise that you need to pay another 40 or so in army books before you can play it.

Theres an info sheet that you can print off from the website which I believe now comes in the box as standard that contains all the stats and unit equipment. Sorry for ruining your sarcy point though.

The Razorwing instructions are incorrect where it tells you to put the engine parts in. The picture has been mirrored but the instructions havent, so it tells you to put the Engine fans in on the wrong side which means the top part of the hull will never fit correctly.

xxRavenxx
09-01-2012, 22:39
Theres an info sheet that you can print off from the website which I believe now comes in the box as standard that contains all the stats and unit equipment. Sorry for ruining your sarcy point though.

Doesn't ruin his point really does it? Given GW were foolish enough to not include the sheet as standard.

Multiple retailers voiced concern to their reps that the starter was not "all you need to play" and the sheet was then produced roughly a month after launch.

The bearded one
09-01-2012, 23:13
I wish they put in a booklet like was in battle for skull pass. Not only did it have unitstats, but it also had a decent guide to the basic rules, making it easy to play a game after a short read.

Angelwing
09-01-2012, 23:23
The epic 40k warlord titan instructions didn't work. I had a devil of a time making the store version.
The old screaming skull catapult didn't come with any instructions. It wasn't too hard to figure out what went where, but was hell to actually assemble.

Sai-Lauren
10-01-2012, 15:46
IIRC, the instructions for attaching the feed pipes from the fuel drums on the Baneblade say that you should position the fuel tanks first, but doing that means you can't get the feed pipes in.

The Vyper, Falcon and it's variants would certainly be a lot easier to build if there was a note to build and paint the crew before gluing them into the hull and sticking the canopy over the top. :)

The metal kits generally had much fewer parts than current plastic kits and they fitted together quite clearly.

The Rogue Trader era Eldar Dreadnought was specifically designed so that all the fixing points for limbs were the same size, that's how the War Walker was then added to the range.

Dreadnoughts, narrow end of torso at the bottom (8-10 parts):
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt403...readnought.htm

War Walker, narrow end of torso at the top back (9 parts):
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt403eldwarwalk.htm

That said, I've seen several War Walkers where people put the torso piece the wrong way up and ended up with something really front-heavy, but they were the people where instructions wouldn't have helped anyway, if you get my drift...

First metal Eldar jetbike I bought, I accidentally built it with the engine upside down (it had two opposed holes - one for the flying stand, one for a lug from the seat) and the cowling attached underneath (which fitted onto a lug on the engine).

Didn't actually look that bad, although I subsequently dismantled it and rebuilt it the right way round.

The old screaming skull catapult didn't come with any instructions. It wasn't too hard to figure out what went where, but was hell to actually assemble.

That, the Crusader's metal Hurricane Bolters and the Tomb Scorpions have to be the worst multi-part kits GW's ever done for ease of building - but that's another thread entirely :)

AlphariusOmegon20
10-01-2012, 17:04
The Ghorgon/Cygor kit has the feet misnumbered compared to the instructions. The giant suffers from confusing feet too.

The Banshee's hair needs a "front" arrow on the underside of it. When you clip it it looks like it could slip on the head that way to, but it can't. Took me two banshee models to figure that one out.

I know there's more but I just can't remember them off the top of my head at the moment.

IJW
11-01-2012, 00:54
Ooh, I'd forgotten about the front part of the old metal Jetbike fitting on both ways up, nearly did that myself!

Wil Grand
12-01-2012, 02:07
I remember beng driven mad by a flintstones-esque pump wagony thing back in the day.

MajorWesJanson
13-01-2012, 00:33
Ever try to build an Ork Trukk without instructions? That is a proper Orky kit. The sprues are just random parts, that with guidance from a mekboy turn into a working vehicle. Looking at the sprue however, there is like 2 recognizable parts besides the wheels.

Spectrar Ghost
13-01-2012, 05:06
They're not so bad. Once you realize that the kit actually includes parts for the chassis, suspension, drivetrain, and body, it's easy. It's one of the kits I admire most, because it really is just a 2 1/2 ton truck with every possible bell and whistle removed. It is the epitome of Orkyness.