PDA

View Full Version : Missions and scenarios in Warhammer Fantasy

Kaleithel
09-01-2012, 15:25
Hi everybody!

I always felt the hack-and-slash nature of WHFB highly limiting and, in the long term, quite boring. I know that a pure straight fight need to respond to precise tactical evaluations to be won, but, as an old ex-skirmish player, I think that some variations are appreciable. So, while I occasionally like to play a direct fight, I also enjoy the struggle for non-combat goals, such as the control of an objective and such.

For these reasons, I started searching the web to find as many mission and scenario packs as possible as an inspiration for our friendly games, but unluckily they seem quite rare.

The questions are two:
1) Do you guys occasionally enjoy to play something more than a straight battle, like I do?
2) Where could I find the missions/scenarios I am looking for?

IcedCrow
09-01-2012, 15:35
I dislike straight battles, we pretty much only use missions and scenarios. It also causes armies to change in composition instead of being the same old same old internet tournament lists.

I use a variety of sources, from the rule book, to the old general's compendium, etc...

Jack of Blades
09-01-2012, 15:50
I dislike straight battles, we pretty much only use missions and scenarios. It also causes armies to change in composition instead of being the same old same old internet tournament lists.

I use a variety of sources, from the rule book, to the old general's compendium, etc...

Every single post you make fuels my jealousy of your utopian gaming group :p

The Low King
09-01-2012, 15:51
The ones in the BRB are fine...but there are also some nice ones in Storm of magic (if you want to really mix things up), the fluff section of the rulebook and blood in the badlands.

Also, you could try making some up

Gork or Possibly Mork
09-01-2012, 17:12
There are tons of narrative battles in the BRB and there are guidlines and some ideas in the there for inspiration to create your own scenarios.

There's even more stuff from SOM, blood in the badlands and you can use the old general's compendium for even more inspiration. There are still 2 on GW's website if you know where to look. One is frozen death and the other is called deathmatch.

If you uses your google fu you can probably still find that old scenario generator written by Gav in a pdf format.

Then there is the upcoming civil war thing from Jervis.

So i don't get that you can't find material or get together with your group and create your own.

Malorian
09-01-2012, 19:34
Something I just stumbled onto is that the Warmachine/Hordes Steamroller missions (you can download for free) actually translate into interesting games for warhammer.

http://privateerpress.com/organized-play/steamroller-tournaments

IcedCrow
09-01-2012, 19:50
Every single post you make fuels my jealousy of your utopian gaming group :p

I made it so my friend... I made it so. I went out and started up events that I wanted to play in. And voila =)

zoggin-eck
09-01-2012, 22:29
I've got almost every white dwarf to pick through for scenarios if I need them. Doesn't take much to update a 3rd edition scenario (I find many were designed with a "this army had this and this" approach, but ignore that and just use the setup and special rules. Same goes for 5the dition battles book and the like (not sure how different thise are, can't remember right now!).

WD has had the odd linked campaign (Like the "raid" Dark elves and Orcs/Gobbos three battle campaign from 4th edition) an in the Chronicles of War book. These might be hard to come across, like the campaign packs, but still fun.

As much as everyone seems to hate modern White Dwarf, there's still been a few scenarios in the last few years. Things like the "other" raid scenarios over two issues with burning houses and tents etc.

popisdead
09-01-2012, 23:33
I like the change in missions and terrain. Makes you react to new challenges and also helps prevent straight up boring matches.

Kaleithel
10-01-2012, 09:20
Thanks for your feedback, guys.
To answer to your point, Gork, I had searched the strings "Warhammer Fantasy Mission" or "Warhammer Fantasy Scenario" on google many times, looking for every possible variant. I did find only 3 or 4 scenarios in this way, included those from GW site. The fact is, I am quite new at WHFB, so I had no clue about what to search for exactly. Until yesterday, in fact, I have never bought a WD nor I had ever heard about Gavin Thorpe. And I did not know that something like the General's Compendium existed.

Thanks to you guys (Malorian, your suggestion was excellent, too!), I have found something like 50-60 scenarios, that I have started translating into italian, for the benefit of my friends' group. The objective is to create a summary of every viable mission, modifying it when necessary, for making it fit the current rules system if it belonged to the General's Compendium or for importing into WHFB from other games, such as Warmachine/Hordes.
In addition, I am looking to buy SoM and BitB; how many missions do they comprehend?

zoggin-eck
10-01-2012, 10:12
Anyone in your group played longer? If you're lucky, they might own enough White Dwarfs or the odd campaign book (look online for a list of the ones released as boxed sets during the 5th edition of the game). There's lots of fun to be had, but you may have to change a bit since some rules don't exist any more, or some may have new rules etc. Scenarios that revolve around siege mightn't be much use as they use old siege rules you'd need to update yourself, for example! (Although the new basic siege scenario in Blood in the Badlands sounds good, I haven't used it yet).

See if you can find the "Dark Shadows" mini-book from 2001 (came in White Dwarf). Has six missions, but again, will need some tweaking.

For me, I'm making a town to properly play the themed scenario in the big book. I forget the name, but it's the one with Skaven infiltrating, then attacking an Empire town. A second gate and a building or two and I'm there :P

I find some new, themed terrain pieces are enough to make a game different. Try making a huge river, going nuts on an all forest board or swamplands and so on. I must admit I still usually play with the old "one player sets up the whole table as interesting as possible, then the other player gets to choose which side he deploys on" approach, not this random terrain table rot! :D

This way it's faily even. Nobody will set up one side with a huge advantage, not knowing if they'll get it or not. Then again, supposedly "unfair" battles are quite fun.

Sounds like you're on the right track to enjoying the game anyway!

*Edit*

Pretty sure Storm of Magic, WHile a fun book with campaign stuff in it, really onnlt has two additional scenarios.

Kaleithel
10-01-2012, 11:22
Wow, searching for Dark Shadows, too.:D
Thank you!

RainSong
24-01-2013, 21:05
Have a look at my website (link in my sig). I'd appreciate any feedback or comments.

Dark Aly
25-01-2013, 12:42
I'm currently writing my own 4 battle linked campaign. I'm designing it for O&G vs Empire.

battle 1 will be a small game ~ 700 points in which an imperial outpost is assualted by the vanguard of the O&G

battle 2 will be a chase played lengthways 1k of empire cav will have to evade 2k of pursuing O&G cav with outflanking fast cav.

battle 3 will be a defend the bridge/valley again a small empire force holding out for as long as possible against overwhelming odds

battle 4 will be the big climax with various things granted depending on how well the other games went.

We're quite looking forward to it (I'll be the O&Gs and can't wait to use all my cav :) )

So just make some up- they may not be balanced but they are fun

Luigi
25-01-2013, 14:29
Have a look at my website (link in my sig). I'd appreciate any feedback or comments.

Amazing! KL\\Lots of useful informations, it really shows dedication to he hobby! :yes: