PDA

View Full Version : Coolest piece of artwork ever? I mean.. is this sweet or what?

The bearded one
09-01-2012, 23:33
I just checked the GW blog, and there's a new VC post with the advance orders and a couple of pages from the book, and this piece of artwork caught my eye..

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2160003a_Blog090112_2_XL.jpg

hot daimnn! I just love this piece of artwork, lots of action and a screaming bell being toppled over, it's.. well.. daimn.. anyone else love it?

as an extension to this post, is there any particular piece of artwork you're particularly attached to? I really dig pieces like this, a great wideshot with lots of stuff going on, some cool stuff in the front of the picture and a lot of sizable things going on in the back. Other pieces I love are the piece of artwork in the O&G armybook on page 6, the picture of the war of the beard in the BRB fluffsection of dwarfs fighting high elves with dragons on the background and the doublepage-spread on page 4-5 of the Ogre Kingdoms book.

The Low King
09-01-2012, 23:39
The Picture in the BRB of dwarfs fighting skaven, thane with flaming axe

Scammel
09-01-2012, 23:45
The spread in the old OK book where an imperial caravan is ambushed. Small in scale but absolutely packed with character.

The bearded one
09-01-2012, 23:45
The Picture in the BRB of dwarfs fighting skaven, thane with flaming axe

oh, yeah that one is great too! The battle for a thousand pillars I believe it's called.

Razuli
10-01-2012, 00:06
Being a skaven player I have a soft spot for "A Battle for a Thousand Pillars," but I think my all time favorite picture was that one where the Reiksguard knights are charging some black orcs while Karl Franz is fighting a giant.

Edit:Both pictures are found at http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=10100037a

Hragnar Goreskull
10-01-2012, 00:12
Anything Paul Dainton does is fantastic, he is the unsung guru of GW, if he only had a collected artbook, I would by it in a heartbeat.

Nubl0
10-01-2012, 00:14
I kinda like the spread at the back of TK book, the scorpion about to snip the orc in half looks really cool. Necrosphinx bestiary art looks really sinister too.

revenant J J
10-01-2012, 00:28
Anything Paul Dainton does is fantastic, he is the unsung guru of GW, if he only had a collected artbook, I would by it in a heartbeat.

Agreed his landscape pieces are truly inspiring! Paul alongside Alex Boyd and Adrian Smith are some of my favorite artists of all time. However Looking at this vampire counts piece I wouldn't be to surprised if it was actually Alex Boyd who did it. It has his free flowing signature style to it but then again Paul Daintons works flows alot to plus it looks like the sort of mediums and colors Paul would use so I'm sure you're right, in fact having just compared it to some of his latest works it is most definitely Paul's.

brightblade
10-01-2012, 00:34
I love pretty much all the art work in the wood elf book. The wardancer's leading the host, the waywatcher pulling the knight into the tree. Orion leading the wild hunt. Awesome. :D

(Shame Woodies suck right now, sorry, I had to say it.)

lbecks
10-01-2012, 00:47
I like how the current vampires look like badass warriors.

Holy_Combat
10-01-2012, 01:09
I really like the pic of krell in the new white dwarf.

Aluinn
10-01-2012, 01:59
Definitely nice, and it looks from the preview pages like the book has very good graphic design all around. Every page looks pleasantly evil :).

Liber
10-01-2012, 04:40
Eh, not bad...but everything pales in comparison to Tamurkhan ;)

Suppose comparing any other GW books to it is a bad idea...I'll try and stop.

Worship
10-01-2012, 04:57
I saw that piece too, it's pretty amazing. Definitely does the Counts some justice.

There are too many pieces to choose as a favorite. I'd say with the exception of the most recent hardback army books, all the previous cover art were simply brilliant.

I'm talking about these

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat440019a&categoryId=400021&section=&aId=9900050a

Feefait
10-01-2012, 05:01
There was an old Blanche vampire picture, black and white pencil drawing where the vampire is (i believe) on a roof. i always thought that was just incredibly striking. Also i would like to nominate the picture of the golden demon from the, i believe 3rd ed book. It's kind of an over the shoulder 3/4 view and he has this imp on his shoulder and he's holding a brush. i always thought that was iconic.

Of the newer stuff though this piece is absolutely amazing. I love it and would buy a print to frame.

Athlan na Dyr
10-01-2012, 05:04
I just checked the GW blog, and there's a new VC post with the advance orders and a couple of pages from the book, and this piece of artwork caught my eye..

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2160003a_Blog090112_2_XL.jpg

hot daimnn! I just love this piece of artwork, lots of action and a screaming bell being toppled over, it's.. well.. daimn.. anyone else love it?

as an extension to this post, is there any particular piece of artwork you're particularly attached to? I really dig pieces like this, a great wideshot with lots of stuff going on, some cool stuff in the front of the picture and a lot of sizable things going on in the back. Other pieces I love are the piece of artwork in the O&G armybook on page 6, the picture of the war of the beard in the BRB fluffsection of dwarfs fighting high elves with dragons on the background and the doublepage-spread on page 4-5 of the Ogre Kingdoms book.

Why oh why isn't that the cover art? So much better, and is a very good visual representation of the army's character.
A personal favourite of mine has always been Aenarion vs. a Keeper of Secrets. One elf (and the Godslayer), but the right elf for the job.

Demrush
10-01-2012, 05:24
I think if GW were to start selling posters of some of the great codex/army book art they have made, they'd strike gold! I know I'd personally be willing to buy any poster art drawn up by Alex Boyd or Paul Dainton...Their styles ere on the side of realism without being too life-like, which is great because it keeps the sense wonderment and fantasy about the scenes they portray and that's why I really like these two artists. As for John Blanche, although I regard his art in high esteem, he still only comes second to these two Paul and Alex because as influential as his artwork my be, it's just not my style.

cornonthecob
10-01-2012, 09:09
The dwarf Ironbreakers.

FirestormXL
10-01-2012, 09:14
I would say it's downright biblical.

Cromenon
10-01-2012, 09:46
I truly like the artwork from the VC 6th ed army book. Especially the Blood Dragon and Necrarch's pages when they are pointing towards each other. I cannot find the image now! :(

Casablanca Cat
10-01-2012, 10:23
I have to say that whoever they have doing the art for the current army book cover is rubbish - far too cartoony and nowhere near the callibre of the picture from the original post.

I like most of the old John Blanche black and white pics. The iconic pic of Karl Franz on deathclaw, surrounded by knights of the empire was gold.

Mr-Wednesday
10-01-2012, 10:44
Adrian Smith's Tzeentch and Slaanesh Champions in WoC army book. Modelled my heroes on them.

Urgat
10-01-2012, 10:53
I love most of the art, to be honest. Besides Adrian Smith, for some reason, while I really like the crispness of his art and his concepts, I dislike his rendition of faces and so on, I really dislike his humans for instance, the exagerated stretchings of the skin, etc.

I like most of the old John Blanche black and white pics. The iconic pic of Karl Franz on deathclaw, surrounded by knights of the empire was gold.
Love these ones too. Don't ask me why, but I'm crazy about that drawing of Nuln with a river in front. I can explain why I love the squig hopper drawing in the 4th ed OnG AB, though :D

trotsky
10-01-2012, 11:23
Another vote for Aenarion. That picture it so epic. I also like the picture at the front of the HE army book- white lions and a mage fighting Norse warriors.

ArtificerArmour
10-01-2012, 11:24
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/poster-caledor.jpg

http://jamesatlantic.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/cal4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that its done by Clint Langley, who mostly dabbles in 40k, but I believe it's the same one in the storm of magic book - edit it's not clint! It's just very clint esque

Also rather fond of this piece, in every book they can possibly put it in:

Awilla the Hun
10-01-2012, 11:40
The illuminations in the Bretonnian army book.

Griefbringer
10-01-2012, 12:21
There certainly is a lot of very nice artwork in the GW books, from 80's onwards.

Personally I am quite fond of lot of the artwork in the WFRP 1st edition books.

VenomBlood
10-01-2012, 12:49
This (http://www.fond-ecran.com/ORIGINAUX/divers/gw_mordheim/gw_mordheim_001.jpg)

brightblade
10-01-2012, 12:53
I would say it's downright biblical.

What Bible are you reading? I don't remember giant rats and vampires at all....:p

Lorcryst
10-01-2012, 14:07
The very old, black and white picture of a Night Goblin horde pouring from the mountains, with Squigs in the foreground, a Troll lost in the waves, and some mad, bug-eyed fanatics at the very front of the stage ...

There's a cropped version of that picture in the (horrible) 7th ed O&G army book, on page 57 ...

And here's a link to the Night Goblin page on Lexicanum, that also has the cropped picture : CLICKY (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Night_Goblin)

That picture motivated me to start my Night Goblin horde, restricted to NGs, Squigs and Stone Trolls with maybe a Giant, it was visible at the very back of the picture in the full-page version (I think in the 4th/5th ed O&G army book ? Don't have that one ...)

Ravening Wh0re
10-01-2012, 14:48
Anything by Kopinski or Dainton. I favour Kopinski more for his solidity of characters and composition but Dainton has a nice consistency to his art.

Saying that, the piece that always sticks in my mind is the one of Aenarion charging N'kari. SO bloody epic. Dainton really knocked it out of the park in that one.

Least favourites would be Adrian Smith and Alex Boyd. I am indifferent to Blanche now.

Morkash
10-01-2012, 15:16
It is quite an awesome piece of art indeed. Not sure if I have any favourite GW art, Michael Lim's artwork for Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord is superb, as is Engra Deathblade from Adriam Smith.
Or the double paged battle in the mid of the Tamurkhan book, it is a battle between Empire and the great host of Chaos in the shadow of Nuln. Outstanding...

Danny_D14
10-01-2012, 15:40
Picture in 7th Ed Lizardmen book where an Oldblood has impaled the Keeper of Secrets through the Heart with a massive blade!!! Incredibly bad ass!!! And as far as I'm aware only picture of a Greater Demon being smote down by an infantry character x x

Jadawin
10-01-2012, 17:01
Does anyone know why GW dont sell prints of their art work?? Im sure they would sell, id buy some pieces for my gaming room certainly. Or do they sell them and im just missing out?

de Selby
10-01-2012, 17:17
I agree that it's a great piece of art and would have made a better cover than the rather old school vampire image that we got instead. I liked the similar battle scene pic for the Ogre Kingdoms, with the icy breath effect... can't find it now.

The bearded one
10-01-2012, 17:19
Anyone else think this piece would've been better for the cover?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m820050a_NES_January_In-stores_-_Article

Pavisel
10-01-2012, 18:07
my fave is the ?5th edition high elf book cover, with an elven lord seated on a snowy stallion, holding aloft a gleaming blue sword. that piece inspired me to recreate it as my general. very awesome, extremely high-elfy. :cool:

ps-based on the rats, I'd have to say that's a plague furnace being toppled, not a screaming bell. no self-respecting grey seer would get close enough to battle to allow THAT to happen. :angel:

The bearded one
10-01-2012, 18:17
The vampire on dragon appears to be holding a horned rathead in his hand though.

Infern0
10-01-2012, 18:37

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m820050a_NES_January_In-stores_-_Article

hell yeah!! I really dislike most of new cover arts

VenomBlood
10-01-2012, 18:59

It's a good one. However with the white background it could be garbage too.
But wait a second, I get it. I know why new cover is so plain awful.
WHERE IS THE VAMPIRE'S MYSTICAL CASTLE ON THE BACKGROUND?

Col. Dash
10-01-2012, 19:54
Naw coolest piece I saw was the original color piece by Stephanie Law in the last edition Dark elf book of some corsairs(it was in black and white in the book). She wasnt credited in the book and was not allowed to sell the piece but she had it on display so people knew she did it.

FLUEVOG
10-01-2012, 20:28
I like the spread in the Empire book where Kurt Helborg is leading the waves of knights on a charge - epic in scale and very much like the Two Towers charge

Worship
11-01-2012, 04:33

Definitely yes.

Hicks
11-01-2012, 05:32
5th edition vampire counts army book cover.

Ravening Wh0re
11-01-2012, 13:51
It's funny, cos as far as I remember, the past 3-4 VC covers were drawn by Dave Gallagher. So it's not hating on the artist but his varying compositions

endzweck
11-01-2012, 14:13
Wow yeah, that's definitely one of the best WFB works I've seen! I love the use of colors. I agree with the other posters about the new cover art choices for the recent books, they do seem too "cartoony" to me. They need more "grim & darkness"! That's what GW does best haha. I definitely think the OP picture would have been a much better choice for the new cover, along with the other suggestions posted previously.

I think my overall favorite artwork for WFB has got to be the giant two-page greatness of Archaon fighting Valten in single combat, with the massed chaos host battling the Empire for Middenheim in the background from the Storm of Chaos book. So awesome! I love the Tamurkhan book as well, its amazingly done from cover to cover. & I'm a sucker for everything "Siege of Vraks" in 40k as well haha.

BigbyWolf
11-01-2012, 14:27
Engra Deathsword (http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/media/images/conceptArt/013008_CA01.jpg) will always be my personal favourite. So much so that I actually paid for a coverted/ sculpted model to be made of him.

Hragnar Goreskull
11-01-2012, 15:00
I think the greatest tradegy of all this wonderfull art is that NONE of it is for sale in any way, shape or form!!! I'm such a fan of Dainton, but I assume that because he is part of the illustration team at GW is why he can't have a collected works book plublised, due to the fact that all his images are GW IP.

GW lacks in few ways, but shame on them for not giving the consumers more of the total IP, be it art prints or T-Shirts. If they lose money on that then they really have a problem. Put that damn skull/hourglass on them if you have to make them limited edition, but give us something.

As for my favorite piece of artwork, One I love is the image of Sigmar in the big BRB with his Unberogen tribesmen charging forward. Its a great snapshot from the prehistory of the warhammer world.

Despiser
11-01-2012, 15:10
1) Take your 6th Edition rulebook
2) Open pages 2-3
3) Enjoy :)

Urgat
11-01-2012, 15:30
I think the greatest tradegy of all this wonderfull art is that NONE of it is for sale in any way, shape or form!!! I'm such a fan of Dainton, but I assume that because he is part of the illustration team at GW is why he can't have a collected works book plublised, due to the fact that all his images are GW IP.

GW lacks in few ways, but shame on them for not giving the consumers more of the total IP, be it art prints or T-Shirts. If they lose money on that then they really have a problem. Put that damn skull/hourglass on them if you have to make them limited edition, but give us something.

As for my favorite piece of artwork, One I love is the image of Sigmar in the big BRB with his Unberogen tribesmen charging forward. Its a great snapshot from the prehistory of the warhammer world.

Certainly GW could sell artbooks. I would buy them all, I believe... Also, I wish they'd do some wallpapers for my PC...

The bearded one
11-01-2012, 15:42
annoying how GW ignores such wonderful oppertunities which we'd all welcome with open arms.

We ought to suggest it to them, but you can't really get in touch with them that easily.

theshoveller
11-01-2012, 15:52
Certainly GW could sell artbooks. I would buy them all, I believe... Also, I wish they'd do some wallpapers for my PC...
They used to, through Black Library. I've got one. Dunno if they still do.

Grimstonefire
11-01-2012, 16:01
I'd say it's Emperor V horus followed by Engra Deathsword

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/d/dd/Horus_vs_The_Emperor.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/warhammeronline/images/2/23/Engra_Deathsword_Concept.jpg

Demoulius
11-01-2012, 19:52
Maybe not fantasy related but... Does anyone else taste a bit of vomit in their mouths when they see the front cover of the blood angel dex? Whats with the cartoony look? :confused:

Crube
11-01-2012, 20:12
My favourite pieces are by Paul Bonner, back from the Waaagh the orks and Ere we Go books they really summed up the appeal of the orks for me...

Other than that the Realm of Chaos covers are especially awesome....

Recently, there's been nothing that stuns me, although all very very good nontheless

pointyteeth
11-01-2012, 20:49
Call me old school, but this is one of my favorites of all time. Done by Ian Miller I believe. Love the atmosphere.

Death on the Reik (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Ian_Miller_-_Death_On_The_Reik.jpg)

Urgat
11-01-2012, 21:32

Gimme names, man.

Call me old school, but this is one of my favorites of all time. Done by Ian Miller I believe. Love the atmosphere.

Death on the Reik (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Ian_Miller_-_Death_On_The_Reik.jpg)

Old school is cool.

The bearded one
11-01-2012, 23:02

Do you mean books like that big horus heresy book and liber chaotica book?

pointyteeth
11-01-2012, 23:07
Oh wait...this one is at the top of my list too.

Original Emperor vs. Horus (http://gamingtp.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/horus_vs_emperor3.jpg)

Demoulius
11-01-2012, 23:11
Oh wait...this one is at the top of my list too.

Original Emperor vs. Horus (http://gamingtp.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/horus_vs_emperor3.jpg)

I actually prefer the other one over this one. Save for one little detail. In this picture all but Horus and the Emperor are dead. In the other one theres plenty of chaos marines around. I like the fact that the loyalists bothered to kick chaos ass here :evilgrin: (aside from Horus getting the incoming atomic wedgie offcourse ;))

senso
11-01-2012, 23:29
GW/BL have definitely published some art books in the past; I still have the John Blanche Inquisitor sketchbook and IIRC Karl Kopinski and Adrian Smith have had books dedicated to their GW art work published.

Speaking of Karl, this is my favourite Warhammer fantasy piece of art (http://www.karlkopinski.com/image.php?id=49). So much power and intimidation in that.

grumbaki
12-01-2012, 15:54
I like the older horus v. emperor one better. The Emperor looks so much more human in it, and the pose reflects that they are about to start a life or death fight. In the newer one, it looks like everyone is posing for the camera and is trying to look larger than life. Even Sanguinius, in his untarnished armor, seems like he is thinking "Just take the damned picture, my nose itches!."

theshoveller
12-01-2012, 16:26
Do you mean books like that big horus heresy book and liber chaotica book?
I didn't mean Liber Chaotica, as that's got more than enough text to count as a proper book. As for Horus Heresy... we may be thinking of the same book, yeah. It's got a laughable amount of fluff text around a shedload of art from the old card game (including the Emperor/Horus pic posted above), in an 'art folio' type format (the book is about 16"x8" or so).

I used to have an "Art of 40k" calendar, as well...

Urgat
12-01-2012, 16:36
I was going to ask for the books' names again, but if it's all 40k stuff only, I'm not interested anymore :/ At least I got the W:AR artbook, gorgeous item too.

Dark Aly
12-01-2012, 16:51
I can't find a picture of it right now, but I love the picture in the empire (may not be in the current one though) book of the militia hunting trolls

Urgat
12-01-2012, 16:53
The one with the river trolls? It's also in the 6th ed OnG book I believe.

Dark Aly
12-01-2012, 17:11
Aye thats the one. It is very cool. I still can't find a link though.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
12-01-2012, 17:28
I can't find a picture of it right now, but I love the picture in the empire (may not be in the current one though) book of the militia hunting trolls

7th ed O&G, on the river troll section^^
Another awesome Empire art work is the Warrior Priest that marches along the flagellants :D

Morkash
12-01-2012, 17:41
Gimme names, man.

The Art of Warhammer is one which I managed to get: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51z81cxDyIL._SL500_.jpg

Its a few years old, art goes until 2005 or 2006, and the majority is from the early '00 and the 90's. I do not have it here, but it is a fine book as long as you ignore Amazon sellers as a source to get one. ;)

I'm sure there are a few more, wasn't Blood on the Reik basically an artbook, too?

Athelassan
13-01-2012, 00:06
I think this (http://whfb.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/4/4f/KnightPantherJohnBlanche.jpg/300px-KnightPantherJohnBlanche.jpg) is probably my favourite GW artwork ever, in all honesty.

BobtheInquisitor
13-01-2012, 04:49
I was going to ask for the books' names again, but if it's all 40k stuff only, I'm not interested anymore :/ At least I got the W:AR artbook, gorgeous item too.

Have you seen this one? (http://www.amazon.com/Art-Warhammer-Marc-Gascoigne/dp/1844164136/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326430139&sr=8-1-spell) I have it and it's fantastic.

Lester
13-01-2012, 06:40
I love this art. I want a wallpaper of it.

Col. Tartleton
13-01-2012, 21:33

I love his lord of the rings artwork. I didn't realize he had done stuff for Warhammer. Those beastmen look so good. They look like wose-devils that would be lurking in the Schwarzwald waiting to slay the menfolk, rape the womenfolk, and carry off the children as slaves when morrslieb draws nigh.

Definitely the best depiction of Ungors. The green mossy fur is perfect for unnatural creatures of the darkest woods.

Demoulius
14-01-2012, 02:25

Oh yea mean the halberdiers versus the trolls vomiting acid? Yea love that piece :)

malisteen
14-01-2012, 05:31
So much fantastic art in the new vamp counts book. Why was none of it used for the cover? Seriously, the cover art is the least impressive art in the entire book. The cover from the time of legends Vlad book would also have been a better choice.

Jolly Puggles
14-01-2012, 19:13
@OP

...but, but...it makes no sense! It implies that a Skaven horde could be outnumbered and overwhelmed by the legions of the dead! Now, if the Necromancers involved were raising Skaven corpses to be their minions the minute they were killed, ok...but I don't see any walking-dead rats anywhere...

A nice piece of artwork, but (for me at least) doesn't hold up under scrutiny...clearly a fictional piece conjured by the imagination of some deluded vampire artiste!

Eldorad
15-01-2012, 10:28
My favourite stuff has always been by Mark Gibbons from back in the day.

The green knight (http://www.redknuckle.com/sales_pages/green_knight.htm) is amazing.

But there is so much cool art coming out of:

Warhammer fantasy roleplay
Warhammer Invasion CCG
WAR online

That is just not available outside of those products.

I demand more cross-over art use!