PDA

View Full Version : HE Prince on Foot (equipment and use)

Chaotic Pumpkin
10-01-2012, 11:57
I like the concept of a High Elf Prince with no mount in my scout-themed army...

What kind of equipment would you buy for him, and how would you use it?

Also, I assume I cannot have both a magical bow *and* magical sword, huh?

Bladelord
10-01-2012, 12:05
For a scout themed army I'd say go for Bow of the Seafarer, Shadow Armour/Armour of Caledor & Opal Amulet. & ofcourse a great weapon!

Preacher
10-01-2012, 12:16
I like the concept of a High Elf Prince with no mount in my scout-themed army...

What kind of equipment would you buy for him, and how would you use it?

Also, I assume I cannot have both a magical bow *and* magical sword, huh?

No he cannot have a magical bow and a magical sword, that would be two magical weapons, only allowed to bring one to the party.

The above post is what I would have suggested for the "scout" prince that your looking for.

Alathir
10-01-2012, 12:20
I almost always field my Prince on foot as he's from Yvresse and I like him personally leading a block of Spearmen or Sea Guard. The following setups aren't 'scout themed' like you asked, but they are what I like and they might serve as inspiration for something cool.

My favourite builds are as follows:

Vambraces of Defense
Armour of Caledor
Gem of Courage (or any other 20 points of items you'd rather take, Ironcurse Icon for example)
Great Weapon

This is the one I take when I know I'll be up against a tough enemy character or monster and want to try and tie them up in a challenge. Usually this Prince will simply win through outlasting his foes.

---

Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix
Crown of Command
Ironcurse Icon

This is mainly just for gaining Stubborn, very nice in a unit of Phoenix Guard or Swordmasters. Its also a nasty surprise for the enemy who thinks they can just swipe aside the Prince's unit of Spearmen, I've seen this happen on numerous times against Chaos Knights and the like who don't expect the unit to hold.

---

Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix
The White Sword
Talisman of Loec

Pure character killer, plain and simple. Activate the Talisman in a challenge and watch the tears flow.

---

Armour of Caledor
Guardian Phoenix
The Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Great Weapon

I have been tried this quite a bit recently with the signature spell from the Lore of Death. Very nice to augment the already intimidating High Elf magic phase and can put the fear of death into the enemy that they'll save dispel dice for it, letting you get through other crucial spells. This can be a fantastic monster killer if it gets through, which can be something we High Elves can have trouble with.

---

So those are my favourite builds I like to use, you could always swap out of the Radiant Gem or the White Sword for the Reaver Bow - which I've done on a few occassions and been quite pleased with it. It makes him quite capable of eliminating irritating units of fast cavalry and the like before they become a threat. Which is very handy for us Asur players because alot of the time we dont have the firepower to target everything we want in the Shooting phase.

Hope this helps! Very interested to see if anyone's come up with something fun I've missed. :)

Francis
11-01-2012, 12:29
@Alathir: Isn't the Crown of Command and the Ironcurse Icon both enchanted items thereby invalidating your second build?

For my part I like Alathir's First and Third build alot but with The other Trickster Shard on the first one rather than Gem of Courage.

I actually prefer the Third one for fluff reasons, but due partly to the fact that I have converted a Griffon for my Prince (and therefore can't take the White Sword when mounted) and partly because I have had a few bad experiences with Hydras, Ogres and killing blowing TKs I now mostly use the Vambraces/GW/AoC combo in order to give my Avatar a chance of surviving the game.

Warhammer002
11-01-2012, 13:40
I've considered a Scouting Prince in the past and this is what I came up with.

Prince (252p)

Great Weapon
Reaver Bow
Shadow Armour
Guardian Phoenix

I would put him in a unit of 9 Shadow Warriors and use him and the unit to scout and shoot and get into combat with vunerable or weak units.

Prince (262p)

Great Weapon
Bow of the Seafarer
Shadow Armour
Opal Amulet

I would put him in a unit of 9 Shadow Warriors and use him and the unit to scout and shoot and get into combat with vunerable or weak units.

As you can see I would basically do the same thing with both builds, the only thing is whether you want 3 strength 5 shots or 1 strength 6 shot with multiple wounds (D3) and that can go through ranks. Personally I prefer the first build.

Trains_Get_Robbed
11-01-2012, 16:50
I would play W.E as they can do it better.

Alathir
12-01-2012, 13:15
@Alathir: Isn't the Crown of Command and the Ironcurse Icon both enchanted items thereby invalidating your second build?

For my part I like Alathir's First and Third build alot but with The other Trickster Shard on the first one rather than Gem of Courage.

I actually prefer the Third one for fluff reasons, but due partly to the fact that I have converted a Griffon for my Prince (and therefore can't take the White Sword when mounted) and partly because I have had a few bad experiences with Hydras, Ogres and killing blowing TKs I now mostly use the Vambraces/GW/AoC combo in order to give my Avatar a chance of surviving the game.

You may be right about the two enchanted items, I didn't have any of the books in front of me when I worte that post. And good point, I completely forgot about The Other Trickster's Shard - can be very handy in the right situation. Just don't put him in a unit of Phoenix Guard :p

Bladelord
12-01-2012, 15:08
I'm a huge fan of Radiant Ge of Hoeth Prince with Lore of Death so I'd think u should try it out atleast.

The whole Wood Elven army might be themed for scouting but they do not have the following options: 2 awesome magic bows, very powerful magic phase (even Str.3 archery becomes threatening when your opponent has -D3 toughness). Also Curse of Arrow Attraction & Flaming Sword of Rhuin.