PDA

View Full Version : Post up your 2nd edition army of death

GodofWarTx
22-04-2006, 08:21
We had a recent influx of 2nd edition 40k posts, and it perked my interest to hear more about some of the nastiest 2nd edition lists out there. Im talking about the armies with Terminator-armor equipped Eversor assasins, characters with 900 different types of saves, and IG armies that made people cry when you went into overwatch. Give me yer best shot! =)

Darkseer
22-04-2006, 08:30
Well, back when I played Eldar, I used to field an Exarch with: The Maugetar, fast shot, stealth and a warp spider jump generator.

The sniper that teleports, fires twice, can kill vehicles very easily in combat and is at -2 to be hit because of stealth.
Evil.

The Emperor
22-04-2006, 08:42
I took a Callidus Assassin in most games. Half the fun was watching the other player getting nervous, wondering which one of his troops would end up being the Callidus Assassin. I hated Warp Spiders with a passion back when, so most often then not, I used the Callidus on them when playing Eldar. The other guy knew that, of course, but that's okay, since it tended to keep the Warp Spiders close to his own troops and away from mine. And when they ventured too close... BAM! Out comes the Callidus, who then butchered the rest of the squad.

Gamgee
22-04-2006, 10:56
Ha! 2nd edition goodness!

The days of deploying all my tanks in reserve, only using heavy weapon teams, lots of comm-links and going on overwatch with my entire army.

The worst I did was using a three tank leman russ squadron, pimped with a lot off stuff and, most important, each with a tank commander with Armour piercing ammo! Dodgy as hell, but always nice to roll that extra d20 armour penetration ;).

Aslo, because of the squadron rules, You had to destroy all three of them before you got more than half of their points.

Of course I played against an enormous unit of blood angels deathcompany, all equiped with blind grenades (2,5 inch templates, remained on table, blocking line of sight up to the ceiling and beyond!)

No, I don't miss that...

Batou
22-04-2006, 11:09
My personal favourite was a lightly converted warp spider exarch, with Fast shot, power fist and twin death spinner guns, which at the time used to use the flamer templates and didn't need to roll against toughness.

It had a couple of other upgrades but its been so long, I can't remember what they were. However I remember playing one game where he warped into a bunker full of 20 tactical marines in the first turn and killed almost every single one of them, the 4 warp spiders who jumped in with him cleaned up before they all warped back out. Warp spiders just ruled in 2nd edition. :D

Wish I'd thought of yours too darkseer, but I don't think anyone would have played me again :)

Ithor
22-04-2006, 11:17
Woohoo! First post. Anyhoo...

2000 point Space Wolves army - Ragnar Blackmane and twenty teleporting Wolf Guard Terminators with Assault Cannons and Cyclone Launchers. Ahh, the good/bad old days. Of course, GW released an addendum in WD saying that you couldn't use that weapon fit after a couple of months, so it all kinda fell apart...

kris.sherriff
22-04-2006, 11:53
My 1000 point chaos army with lord 3 termis and 3 vets was a little excessive

susu.exp
22-04-2006, 12:37
I usually cheesed out my Chaos Cult Deamagogue with Carpace armour and a Boltgun. The deadliest were the Beastmen with Shotguns. If I was lucky and my regular opponent put his DA assault squads on the edge of a high building... With my CSM I had the 2 Rhinos of doom: Dozer blade, Ablative Armour on one. Just kicked them into fast speed and went for any building which had a bunch of enemy models. 7+2D6+D12 Damage. Armour value 20, here we go. Whole Squads would get run over before they´d reach the building. Of course after a while my opponents would target all their heavy weapons on these transport of mass wreckage and any other vehicle I might have brought.

Rork
22-04-2006, 12:59
Hmm, my 1500pt army was something like:

Marneus Calgar (who was ace!)
Tigurius
Techmarine
Dreadnought
Devastator squad
Terminator squad
Predator
Land speeder
Eversor or callidus assassin

Back in those days calgar was awesome. You could give him a displacer field and combat drugs, and watch him tear up anything without fear of retribution. One time I had him destroy an entire squad of Khornate terminators - The ability to negate the multiple attack bonus was incredibly dangerous for a WS8 character!

Elanthanis
22-04-2006, 13:05
Worst I'd use was my first Swordwind army (before Swordwind was a Biel-Tan specific term).

With dark reapers able to target the ground, I could literally barrage my enemy with frag grenades if I couldn't see them (scatter 4tw), and have the howling banshees mop up afterwords. I also had a few random tankbusters.

Shortest game I ever played=two turns.

Thank god my outlook on the game changed.

Batou
22-04-2006, 13:21
Yeah its probably worth noting my beardy choices were when i was 15 and I'm 25 now and would never consider doing something so overpowered!

But weren't squads with grenades just ace?

Having a bajillion pie plates to throw down ruled... it was the glory days of 40k.

I never played during 3rd edition, and its weird how now I've started playing again I'm still scared of units which are no where near as effective now then they used to be.. the rulesets so much simpler and doesn't allow for the same level of beardyness.

sigur
22-04-2006, 13:27
I don't think that it's a good idea to make people post cheesy army lists, especially if it's about a system that is definitly not made for "competative"/powergaming. 2nd edition can't work with the unhealthy approach many people have nowadays.

MadJackMcJack
22-04-2006, 13:44
I think the wosrt thing I ever did was to take a massive horde of Orks and equip them with krak grenades. Even hard-**** characters of death fell to 50+ kraks to the face. And the gobbo screen meant that there was very little most opponents could do.

StugMeister
22-04-2006, 13:47
Well, back when I played Eldar, I used to field an Exarch with: The Maugetar, fast shot, stealth and a warp spider jump generator.

Ditto.

Exarchs used to kick ****. I always tried to max my Eldar army out with them. Plus I gave most of them Shuriken Cannon. :D

Commissar von Toussaint
22-04-2006, 14:13
I don't think that it's a good idea to make people post cheesy army lists, especially if it's about a system that is definitly not made for "competative"/powergaming. 2nd edition can't work with the unhealthy approach many people have nowadays.

To an extent, I agree with you.

However in a certain sense, I don't see that 2nd is any more unbalanced than what is out there right now.

Yes, characters could munch through squaddies. And they still can. The difference is that you could at least fire into HTH and slow them down.

Also the overall level of weapon power was so much greater that even cheesed-out characters/monsters/vehicles were a lot easier to kill.

I was never a cheese afficionado back in the day - I'd gotten my fill of WHFB 5th edition, thank you very much. I came to 40k to get away from herohammer and say what you want, it was a lot less character intense.

Right now I have a Chaos Lord with terminator armor, the Marks of Khorne and Nurgle, -1 to be hit in hth, single lightning claw (for parry), re-rollable save and a conversion field to back it up.

Is he nasty? Oh yeah. Really hard to kill in hth.

But he costs more than a tricked out tank. He still has to walk wherever he's going to go and if you hit him with a multimelta, krak missile or lascannon, the rerollable save pretty much goes away and he dies outright on a 4+.

Our games have been very balanced - better than anything we encountered with the new rules.

Flame Boy
22-04-2006, 14:55
I think my favourite was during the ed of 2nd edition lifetime with an untested Warp Spider Exarch with crack shot and fast shot hefting a Bright Lance. It was the only thing I could think of to counter the Vindicare assassain that my friend religiously used with his imperial guard army. It was never an issue of whether I could beat the guard army, I rarely got to them, it was that damn sniper that my whole army ended up chasing after... :p

I have rather harrowing memories of playing against a Chaos marine army with Kharn the Betrayer(shudder) running towards my lines, and me desperately throwing my harlequin troupe at him to slow him down, thinking they were the best troops for the job. I have to say it was rather sickening to watch all those multicoloured limbs flying everywhere... I should have found a Solitaire model. :p

I remember one of my last 40k games after 3rd edition had been released and the whole concept of command squads was introduced. My brave marine army marched forward led by my commander, apothecary, librarian and most likely a techmarine and chaplain, all powering forward in a Rhino. From a guard tower outside the imperial guard lines flashed a Turbo-Penetrator round, which consequently tore into the track of the Rhino, flipping it over and destroying it. Suddenly the Marine's finest were being picked off in no-mans land, hiding behind a rhino, getting shot to pieces. My Librarian desperatedly tried to force a gate in the warp to allow them to close on the guard tower, but in the end none of them ever got there. I was tempted to get a Callidus assassain just so that I could find something that could fight him on an even playing field. By then, however, 3rd edition had set in and my friends all gave up on 40k, as did I.

I'm currently working on a 4th edition marine army, and I think my first few games will be ruled by 2nd edition expectations. I'll have to keep reminding myself that guardian squads are just a big ablative shield for the starcannon platform for example... Mind you, the rate I paint models, It'll be 5th edition before I get to field the army. :p

kris.sherriff
22-04-2006, 20:22
My best memory of a 2nd ed game was playing my mates necrons. He was so pleased with himself "oh look your dred now has a front armour of 3 and your termis can't move and non of your weapons work in close combat"
"I then said that champion of khorne over there see him"
"whats he gona do he's only got a bolt pistol"
"He is being posesed by my blood thierster. Its ok run away I will just use my 20" fly move...." followed by lots of bits of necron being thrown around the battle field oh how I giggled
Kris

Phyros
22-04-2006, 21:03
Woohoo! First post. Anyhoo...

2000 point Space Wolves army - Ragnar Blackmane and twenty teleporting Wolf Guard Terminators with Assault Cannons and Cyclone Launchers. Ahh, the good/bad old days. Of course, GW released an addendum in WD saying that you couldn't use that weapon fit after a couple of months, so it all kinda fell apart...

I played some guy who used that list. He was bragging about how unbeatable he was in the store (had played about half the regulars and won). Finally I had enough and I whipped out the rarely used list that had a backbone of 5 Carnifexes. All of them had Regenerate, and a 4+ field save.

The rest of the list in inconsequential as the Carnies did all the work. They earned their pay that day as they waded through Wolf Guard.

Let me put it this way. I gave him so hard a smackdown that he didn't come into the store for 3 weeks, and was in such a rush to pack up and leave that he forgot 2 or 3 minis.

Col. Dash
22-04-2006, 21:44
1500 points
a 365 point Nurgle commander
5 or 6 man Khorne Berserker Termy squad with twin lightning claws
3 man termy squad with 2 Reaper autocannons
3 man hvy wpns squad
3 man hvy wpns squad
dreadnought

scarvet
22-04-2006, 21:57
Well....this kind of thing still happening these days

Morathi's Darkest Sin
22-04-2006, 22:00
Its been such a long time it's hard to remember. I do recall digging through the wargear cards endlessly trying to find the best combinations, although those where what I consider my Pgamer days. :angel:

I do also recall using the Calladius alot as well, and I certainly remember Exarchs of doom with my Eldar force.
I think my fave was still the Madboyz in my Orks though, where you needed a rack of D10s to figure out what they where doing... 'No ladz trust me.. theyz in dat hill.. dakka dakka' Warboss glances over.. 'Cud someone explain why de Madboyz is attackin a zoggin empty hill to me!!!'

Love it. :D

Batou
22-04-2006, 23:39
2nd edition Orks were awesome!

Used to love having my somber Elder fighting a bunch of nutters.

Powergaming will always go on, but in 2nd edition the wargear system was so open to abuse, some individual items were so powerful as to be guaranteed game turners.

MadJackMcJack
22-04-2006, 23:52
I remember the frst time I used a Stormboy unit in 2nd edition, and on their first jump, half the unit were either killed on impact or shot off into the distance. Orks are probably the only 2nd edition army I have fond memories of, mainly due to crazy stuff like that happening.

Toppan
23-04-2006, 03:04
they should bring back the old orks from 2nd ed in the new codex...thats how i see orks...dumb and deadly

Col. Dash
23-04-2006, 06:24
Oh yeah, 2nd was the heyday for orks. way better than the somber evilish ones we have now. Bring back the shok attack gun!!!

Lord Solar Plexus
23-04-2006, 06:58
Having been blind myself for many many years, sticking to 2E until March 2006, I'll never go back to 2nd ed. Yes, targeting rules in 4E are crap but that's about it. I never ever want to face 50 percent characters again of which the lowliest can chew through my whole army with ease.

IG command squad
Colonel WS6 Powersword, Sword, Carapace, Displacer, perhaps a digilaser
Guardsmen with two sowrds each.
Veteran ability hardened fighters or somethimg like it.

All of them could parry twice, enemies could not parry at all, all could re-roll attack dice. Let the guardsmen fight first, and the colonel would be at WS 11 on the charge, with a bucketloads of attack dice, re-rolling fumbles and getting loads of sixes. Hardly expected from the guard.

Or the all-flamer command squad (Lt. with Combi-Bolter/flamer) with guerrilas - could run and shoot with -1 to hit which of course didn't apply to flamers.

5 Chimeras + 6 Assault Cannon Sentinels + Exterminator + a dozen line squad heavy bolters against orks = roundabout 60+ sustained fire dice in one turn.

My second army Space Wolves was harder to tool up because they were so darn expensive...sure you could take 20 Wolf Guard in power armour with meltaguns...

Chaos Nurgle champion with some standard and jumppack - jumps out of Rhino (houserules allowed that) and deals out d6 wounds with no save to my 500+ point termi squad.

Is he nasty? Oh yeah. Really hard to kill in hth.

But he costs more than a tricked out tank.

The point was that tanks had a hard time killing him (especially IG BS 4 tanks since you nearly always had at least -1 to hit and most weapons only had -3 asm), while he would automatically disable any tank. And any infantry to boot.