PDA

View Full Version : how feral is feral

Grocklock
14-01-2012, 19:05
How feral are feral orks, What i mean is are the fantasy ork models too advanced for them or not,
People seam to be saying that theyu should be like savage orks but this esams to primitive to me and that fantasy ork boys would be a happy medium.
Im thinking of doing an army that fits into the current rules set but whated to get poples opinions on the kind of models I could use.

I was thinking of using orks with boys to represent shootas,
Ogres leadbelches for my killa kans and nobblas for grots.

Please dont just say do what you want because that is not what im after here. and is ultimitly not very useful.

Lothlanathorian
14-01-2012, 20:02
When I think 'feral' Orks, I think of the WHFB Orcs. They should work fine. They don't have any kind of advanced tech and would do well to represent Orks who hadn't yet encountered guns and so on.

Theocracity
14-01-2012, 20:02
It's a spectrum. Some feral Orks are tribal and crazy, some are more organized. I think it would mainly depend on your vision of them.

Personally, I think the traditional Orcs are a bit too... fantasy for me. They seem like they've adapted to a world with fantasy combat, not 40K technology. Savage orcs seem closer to the standard view of true Snakebite Orks, though I would definitely do some conversions or bit swapping to put some 40K in there - maybe wielding lasguns as clubs, or Space Marine helmets on their trophy racks.

Lord Damocles
14-01-2012, 20:10
The old Feral Orks list had plenty of guns, junkas (trucks, basicly), and various other techno-gubbins (boomsticks, stim-injectors, boars with built-in engines...).

For the basic boys, a mix of 40K and Fantasy Ork(/c)s should work nicely. Savage Orcs would make a good base for Madboys.

Griefbringer
14-01-2012, 20:14
Checking back to the art work for the wild boyz in the old 'Ere we go book, they are depicted as looking like regular fantasy orcs, with mail armour or equivalent.

But it is a big galaxy, and not all feral orks tribes are going to be identical - the most feral ones could perfectly well look like savage orcs.

Grimbad
14-01-2012, 20:28
Feral Orks were better at shooting, with BS3, than the Codex orks army list. And they used shootas. Wildboyz, who were armed only with primitive weapons, were just one of their many units.

AndrewGPaul
14-01-2012, 22:34
Look at the Epic range - Feral Orks aren't (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490038a&prodId=prod1101913) that (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490038a&prodId=prod1101919) feral (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490038a&prodId=prod1101911). :)

Wishing
14-01-2012, 22:54
Personally, I don't really care for the modern "feral" ork moniker. In my view, you have two types of savage-primitive orks - snakebite clan orks and wildboy orks. Snakebites are like normal orks, they just shy away from fast vehicles and prefer to use beasts like squiggoths and war boars in battle. Wildboyz come from ork societies that never embraced technology at all, and therefore only know how to fight with primitive axes and shields and the like. Wildboyz are specifically designed to be represented with fantasy orc models, the savage orcs being especially suitable, but snakebites should look like normal 40k orks, just with furs and bones and such for ornamentation. Using boys with bows to represent shootas doesn't sound good to me.

Clang
14-01-2012, 23:33
Yeah, you need to decide what you mean by 'feral' - anywhere between:
- extremist SnakeBites who won't use machines, I guess the most extreme would be like WHFB Savage Orcs who don't even use metal
- and GW's traditional Feral orks who weren't anti-tech at all (as noted above, they had BS3) but were more crazed loners who'd left the clan system and now live in the wilds and only reluctantly work together when they feel threatened or are extremely well bribed. As I recall, they had few or no vehicles, mostly due to lack of infrastructure to maintain them.

Certainly you can have fun modelling any type of feral ork: boars counting-as bikers, ogres counting-as kanz as you've suggested, giant beasties counting-as trukks or even battlewagons. But you will need to decide their attitude to technology, that will affect what they're armed with. It's difficult (but not impossible) to model shootas, rokkits etc if you decide on a "no metal" theme.

If you're not sure, work out what kind of army list you want, then work backwards re how to model each unit.

susu.exp
14-01-2012, 23:43
Snakebites are like normal orks, they just shy away from fast vehicles and prefer to use beasts like squiggoths and war boars in battle.

Not quite correct. Snakebites are the Clan thatīs devoted to Ork "Spirtuality", and they are somewhat more connected to the Orkoid Ecosystem. But that doesnīt make them shy away from fast vehicles - they are basically the Hippies among the Orks and thatīs not quite the same as being the Ork Amish... Hopper and Fonda in Easy Rider: Thatīs also Snakebite style. As is riding in your BattleWagen with the tribal motif painted on. They are mellow and peaceful (for Ork standards...), but, yea, just normal Orks.

the1stpip
14-01-2012, 23:48
The terms 'Snakebite' and 'Feral Ork' are pretty much interchangeable. I started to build a Feral Ork list, and got shot down for using Power Fists (even though they were modeled like Mancatchers).

What i would suggest is allow fantasy orcs to guide you. Any tank can be built as a , and Bikers as Boarboyz are almost a must, but don't try shoehorning obviously un-Feral units like Deffkoptas and Meganobz.

Wishing
15-01-2012, 09:08
The terms 'Snakebite' and 'Feral Ork' are pretty much interchangeable. I started to build a Feral Ork list, and got shot down for using Power Fists (even though they were modeled like Mancatchers).

That's the problem... to me, these two statements are contradictory and mutually exclusive. Snakebites use lots of technology, they happily ride around in battlewagons and they modify their boars with cybernetics to make them into cyboars. If they like technology enough to do advanced cybernetic surgery on their beloved beasts of war, why would they not use power claws?

The complaint against feral orks using power weapons only make sense if you interpret feral orks as being wildboyz, ie. using little or no technology at all, which is entirely different from snakebites. The problem with wildboyz is that they aren't very well suited for 40k battles for obvious reasons... just being regular orks without fancy gear like guns and armour doesn't give you lots of options on the battlefield.

hazmiter
15-01-2012, 09:21
Feral orks who have looted sum mek bitz.
All orks, even savage and snake bites would have a big mek, or smrt un.
So your feral orks could have power claws, but they would be limited to your warboss and maybe 1 or 2 in nobz, and no more. They would also have carnosaurs, move as bikes, with out the 24 boost. Just try things out, if your doing ogre to count as killa canz, you may want to re think. Maybe 1 trukk. It would be a savage green tide, cheap and nasty. Ard boyz would have gubbinz, such as plate mail. You kommandos would be using hollowed out trees as kamo.

KronusDaSneaky
15-01-2012, 10:07
Feral orks who have looted sum mek bitz.
All orks, even savage and snake bites would have a big mek, or smrt un.
So your feral orks could have power claws, but they would be limited to your warboss and maybe 1 or 2 in nobz, and no more. They would also have carnosaurs, move as bikes, with out the 24 boost. Just try things out, if your doing ogre to count as killa canz, you may want to re think. Maybe 1 trukk. It would be a savage green tide, cheap and nasty. Ard boyz would have gubbinz, such as plate mail. You kommandos would be using hollowed out trees as kamo.

I do not see why you have to be so limited though I like the ideas. There is nothing your cant effective 'count as' when using savage orks and monsters. Power Klaws replace with giant weapons, trukks with stegadons/squiggoth, break down the new mangler squigs attach a weapon or two and call them Killa Kans.

My suggestion, run whatever list you like and build it as a savage ork list. Personally I would run Killa Kan list using mangler squigs and other beasties with strapped on weapons and shaman like big meks, lots of savage boyz w/ shootas or choopas.

stompy
15-01-2012, 10:36
I might be wrong, but I though that feral orks tribes were created after an ork invasion force leaves a planet- that is, the spore that is left grows into orks, but these new orks grow up independently, so have no knowledge of technology or culture. This means they generally start off similar to warhammer savage orcs, with no weapons other than clubs and bows, and no vehicles. However, as time passes, the meks in the tribe will start to develop guns, and culture moves forwards, leaving them at a more whfb orc level (but with guns). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

However, this does mean that you can model your tribe how you want- either an early phase of development, using savage orcs and little technology, or a later phase, using whfb orcs and a bit more technology, or even push it further and combine whfb and 40k orks, and say that the tribe has grown to the point of trading with other, non-feral orks.

hazmiter
15-01-2012, 10:59
This post has inspired me to buy 2 feral fantasy orks kits, a warboss and 2 boyz kits..... I like the idea of crazy backwater orks!!!!!
*note to self.... Get carnosaurs and use them as deffcoptas.....*

Grocklock
15-01-2012, 13:00
ok after reading a bit more on the web and looking at hte posts above i have decided to base my faral orks on fantasy orks. level of tec.

With some of the ogre kingdom tec in there as well. Basicly the idea that they dont build there own stuff they steal it from others. Mainly i just whated a ogre kingdoms iron blasta with a chained ogre to count as my looted wagon.
leadbelchers as killa kans
nobblas as grots

now for the shoota boys I was kind of thinking orks with bows, maybe modified, now is this to primitive to fit my theame, could you serject a different option?

the1stpip
15-01-2012, 17:27
I would suggest Crossbows as a minimum. They still look like shootas, but a more low tech. They can be easily converted from shootas.

And the ironblasta idea could be very funny.

Baaltor
15-01-2012, 18:40
I might be wrong, but I though that feral orks tribes were created after an ork invasion force leaves a planet- that is, the spore that is left grows into orks, but these new orks grow up independently, so have no knowledge of technology or culture. This means they generally start off similar to warhammer savage orcs, with no weapons other than clubs and bows, and no vehicles. However, as time passes, the meks in the tribe will start to develop guns, and culture moves forwards, leaving them at a more whfb orc level (but with guns). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

However, this does mean that you can model your tribe how you want- either an early phase of development, using savage orcs and little technology, or a later phase, using whfb orcs and a bit more technology, or even push it further and combine whfb and 40k orks, and say that the tribe has grown to the point of trading with other, non-feral orks.

I don't think orks advance in tek level. They just match the tek level of whatever enemy they face, and copy their techniques and manouevres.

Chem-Dog
15-01-2012, 19:28
"Feral" Orks are simply "Pre-industrial" and/or "Post appocalyptic" Orks.
Engines are replaced by animals or sails where and when necessary and when metal isn't readily available other resources are utilised.

hazmiter
15-01-2012, 21:45
Make a battle wagon with a catapault and sails......

Blackhoof
15-01-2012, 23:19
ok after reading a bit more on the web and looking at hte posts above i have decided to base my faral orks on fantasy orks. level of tec.

With some of the ogre kingdom tec in there as well. Basicly the idea that they dont build there own stuff they steal it from others. Mainly i just whated a ogre kingdoms iron blasta with a chained ogre to count as my looted wagon.
leadbelchers as killa kans
nobblas as grots

now for the shoota boys I was kind of thinking orks with bows, maybe modified, now is this to primitive to fit my theame, could you serject a different option?

I second the suggestion to use crossbows instead of normal bows, they are far more believable due to increased power. GW made some crossbow orcs for regiments of renown a few years back, so if they are nor sold anymore, try eBay.

I think an ironblasta is not armoured enough to justify being a vehicle. Maybe get a vehicle, wreck it up, stick a primitive cannon in a crude hole in the top, and have it pulled by boars or something. Like the ferals tried to make a wrecked vehicle work but they couldn't fix it so turned it into a chariot.

Edit: Or even use catapults as lobbas

chromedog
16-01-2012, 02:37
Feral orks have dreadlock-hair squigs, smell worse than normal orks, and ride bicycles because the trukks are too pollootin'.

hazmiter
16-01-2012, 03:59
Well this thread has given me some ideas, I might make a feral ork horse drawn trukk. The horses are both locomotive and delicious.......

Grocklock
16-01-2012, 10:50
I second the suggestion to use crossbows instead of normal bows, they are far more believable due to increased power. GW made some crossbow orcs for regiments of renown a few years back, so if they are nor sold anymore, try eBay.

I think an ironblasta is not armoured enough to justify being a vehicle. Maybe get a vehicle, wreck it up, stick a primitive cannon in a crude hole in the top, and have it pulled by boars or something. Like the ferals tried to make a wrecked vehicle work but they couldn't fix it so turned it into a chariot.

Edit: Or even use catapults as lobbas

Thats some good ideas, in regards to the ironblasta i am thinking of adding wooden planks to the side to build it up a little, the planks will either come from the boar chariot sides or maybe just paint up the ork truck sides to look like wood, just trying to figure it out

Grocklock
16-01-2012, 10:53
although looking at the warp lightning cannon that looks like something that could be the looted wagon