PDA

View Full Version : favourite vampire hero build

fusionmonkey
14-01-2012, 22:33
simple question what is your favourite hero level vampire build, i ask this as now you can buy normal equipent, have several new combat vampiric, being a level 1 or 2 without having to use up your vampiric powoers and have gained an extra attack and the hunger rule i think they can be some of the best hero level characters around. being alright mages and still really good in combat.
there arent many guide lines.
it can be for combat or magic
can be mounted on anything

here is a fairly solid and cheap vampire

Vampire 105
Heavy armour 4
Charmed shield 5
Sword of battle 20
dawn stone 25

5 str 5 attacks
3+ save rorollable
all for 159 points seems solid and when combined with either the corpse carts vigour mortis for always strike first rerolls, or just vanhels for rerolls becomes a good all round.

your turn

Voss
14-01-2012, 23:04
I find myself rather attracted to -1 leadership and reroll successful fear tests or lose your BSB reroll powers, which go nicely on hero-level vamps. Add in a nice defensive item, and you've got a fairly reliable unit leader that puts the kick into fear. I hadn't intended to use vamps at all, but I'm not trying to work out a good 'counts as' model thats noticeably distinct from wraiths and wights.

ihavetoomuchminis
14-01-2012, 23:08
I find myself rather attracted to -1 leadership and reroll successful fear tests or lose your BSB reroll powers, which go nicely on hero-level vamps. Add in a nice defensive item, and you've got a fairly reliable unit leader that puts the kick into fear.

Get out of my mind!!!! :D

Voss
14-01-2012, 23:12
Get out of my mind!!!! :D

Oh, yeah, and put him in a unit with the screaming banner, of course. :evilgrin:

ashc
14-01-2012, 23:15
Seed of rebirth with a mortis engine about is very cheap and happy for defence, and you could then take something like staff of damnation to augment.

decker_cky
14-01-2012, 23:25
Seed of rebirth with a mortis engine about is very cheap and happy for defence, and you could then take something like staff of damnation to augment.

Ohh...neat idea there. I like it. Seed of rebirth, glittering scales and channeling staff along with AHW seems like a nice all purpose vampire hero. Give him dark majesty and fear incarnate and you have a great utility vampire.

ashc
14-01-2012, 23:28
Ohh...neat idea there. I like it. Seed of rebirth, glittering scales and channeling staff along with AHW seems like a nice all purpose vampire hero. Give him dark majesty and fear incarnate and you have a great utility vampire.

thats what i was thinking, to combo up with the aura/incarnate powers :)

NitrosOkay
15-01-2012, 01:57
Charmed shield exceeds your point allowance by 5.

I like Heavy Armour, Shield, Dark Acolyte and Sword of Might. Level 1 with Lore of the Vampires.

Cheap, can cast invocation very effectively and can crack open things skeletons might have trouble with. Vanhel's and a Corpse Cart around make him so much better.

I also am a big fan of Aura of Dark Majesty, Fear Incarnate and Screaming Banner combinations.

DJElam
15-01-2012, 04:00
Vampire ***
Heavy armour *
Charmed shield *
Sword of battle **
5+ ward **

You're 5points over magic item max.

my hero that worked well for me in last game was
Vampire, Vampire lore, level 2, Barded Nightmare, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Dread Knight, 220

necroncell2131
16-01-2012, 22:29
Favorite hero vampire load out? Konrad for sure!

BUB
17-01-2012, 15:32
Thinking of trying a Hero on Covern Throne. Anyone thought of any decent builds for this yet? It is so damn expensive

Sexiest_hero
17-01-2012, 15:42
Mounted Vampire, lvl1 Lore beasts. 4+ ward. Toss in blood knights, and spam wildform for -1 casting costs. After one game people will do anything to stop that lil buff on the blood knights, while your master necro goes to work.

ashc
17-01-2012, 16:03
Beasts? Vamps can only take Vampire, Shadow and Death.

Lord Inquisitor
17-01-2012, 16:07
Thinking of trying a Hero on Covern Throne. Anyone thought of any decent builds for this yet? It is so damn expensive

The smart money is probably keeping the hero as cheap as possible. Charmed shield, heavy armour, about it.

However, I have to say two things are calling to me - a Lord for that Ld10 (although you can expect to blow your entire Lord allowance on the thing) and/or the Nightshroud. The Nightshroud is going to affect everyone in contact with the whole throne, making it much, much harder to kill. It'll rip through most units like bestigor or flagellants that rely on their weapon strength bonus. But the nightshroud means no charmed shield.

The Satyr
17-01-2012, 16:12
correct me if im wrong but the supporting rank attacks still get their str bonus right?

Count Demandred
17-01-2012, 16:15
Beasts? Vamps can only take Vampire, Shadow and Death.

He must be talking about the 'Forbidden Lore' bloodline power.

Lord Inquisitor
17-01-2012, 16:24
correct me if im wrong but the supporting rank attacks still get their str bonus right?

That's a good question and one I've been wondering about. I guess the answer is technically "yes" but there's a whole bunch of similar abilities out there and I really wonder what's intended there.

Sexiest_hero
17-01-2012, 16:28
Yep forbidden lore is one of the best Vampire powers in the book.

Lord Inquisitor
17-01-2012, 16:33
Is it? It's 25 points and gives you access to Fire, Beasts, Metal, Light or Heavens. It doesn't give you Loremaster anymore. You get access to Vampires, Shadow and Death already. 25 points is pretty steep in my opinion.

ashc
17-01-2012, 16:38
He must be talking about the 'Forbidden Lore' bloodline power.

Indeed, wasn't stated on the build.

and yes, paying 25pts. for it seems steep in that situation.

Malorian
17-01-2012, 16:39
Is it? It's 25 points and gives you access to Fire, Beasts, Metal, Light or Heavens. It doesn't give you Loremaster anymore. You get access to Vampires, Shadow and Death already. 25 points is pretty steep in my opinion.

Basically you would take it to get the sig spell from beasts.

Sexiest_hero
17-01-2012, 17:11
It isn't steep when you think about what the beasts sig spell gets you. I tend to forget that not everybody plays beastmen. It's what turns gors and bestigors into the blenders they are. It cn also turn Bloodknights into red missiles of doom. I5 +1 str and +1T. Hell at that point the Vampire is overkill.

Wesser
17-01-2012, 17:30
Cant decide between

Vampire
Addiotional handweapon

and

Vampire
Greatweapon
Glittering scales
Fear Incarnate
Leading a unit of skeletons with screaming banner

First guy is cheap, solid in melee and an dsupport caster to boot.

Second guy will combined with the screaming banner almost only be hit on 6's making him good in the corner of a skelly unit so that enemy units can waste attacks trying to hit him. Due to banner/fear combo the skellys will prolly also hit on 3's a lot

Lord Inquisitor
17-01-2012, 18:11
It isn't steep when you think about what the beasts sig spell gets you. I tend to forget that not everybody plays beastmen. It's what turns gors and bestigors into the blenders they are. It cn also turn Bloodknights into red missiles of doom. I5 +1 str and +1T. Hell at that point the Vampire is overkill.

I understand the concept, but beastmen get it without paying 25 points extra per caster. And they also get -1 to the casting value, even on a level 2 vampire 10 is pretty high to get.

I'm not disagreeing that you can get it to work but you have to really want the Lore. Even then we're talking "maybe just about worth it" rather than "best vampire power in the book" ;) I would take Aura of Dark Majesty every day of the week.

Sexiest_hero
17-01-2012, 19:11
Blood knights are Cav so they get the casting cost discount too. although 9 is indeed a high number. VC have enough ways to generate pd to toss up to 3 dice at it, if need be. Point taken though.

decker_cky
17-01-2012, 20:26
Yep forbidden lore is one of the best Vampire powers in the book.

I think it's great in huge games, but in normal sized games, it's not realistic to take it on anything more than a L2. For that...25 pts is expensive for access to extra lores.

movin_pics
18-01-2012, 00:27
ive not got the book yet but i was thinking of a cheap vamp with death to snipe BSB's then add a bit of punch to GG, viable idea?

Lebowski
18-01-2012, 01:28
Indeed, wasn't stated on the build.

and yes, paying 25pts. for it seems steep in that situation.

I only think it is 'steep' considering we get the 2 best lores in the BRB for free ;)