PDA

View Full Version : Unreleased XV25 Clear Plastic

OLIVERASO
15-01-2012, 17:56
Hiya to all ;

So, I have just bought an sprue of the XV25 exo-armor, that was casted in clear plastic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/50341261.png/

It's the first time I see clear plastic .... I remember clear resin with the balrog or frodo, but I have never see an sprue in clear plastic.

Anyone have ever see another sprue in clear plastic ? (at games day ?)
Any idea about the use and WHY it was casted ? I remember an old WD article with an XV25 that get an special painting by neil hodgson, maybe the sprue was casted for that occasion ?

Any idea guys :D ?

Ba'al Starslayer
15-01-2012, 18:00
I would imagine someone's cast it themselves, it's simply an XV25 Stealth sprue but in clear plastic...

mdeceiver79
15-01-2012, 18:05
Is this from the games-workshop or from ebay?

Either way it seems odd, since the cut from the sprue would ruin the clearness of the plastic, requiring sandind and polishing to remove the scuff (I assume its resin so might also be dangerous to do from the dust)
Then glueing together the glue would be visible creating internal lines in the model

Infern0
15-01-2012, 18:05
nope, never seen anything like that :)

the only reason I think somebody did it is to represent their stealth mode...

Chem-Dog
15-01-2012, 18:17
nope, never seen anything like that :)

Which, to be fair, is reason enough. :D

IIRC the Balrog that was done was a custom made piece done by someone with access to the moulds and certainly wasn't ever production.

I've seen silver Marines (proper chrome looking silver, not just silvery plastic) and can only assume that this transparent jobby is, like the silver marines, a limited small run promotional thing.

mdeceiver79
15-01-2012, 18:24
I've seen silver Marines (proper chrome looking silver, not just silvery plastic) and can only assume that this transparent jobby is, like the silver marines, a limited small run promotional thing.

There was a silverr plated emp champion released a few years baCK

TheConverter15
15-01-2012, 18:26
Enter it at Games Day and say its painted :angel:

But stick them on a painted bases and it would be a superb stealth unit :)

OLIVERASO
15-01-2012, 18:47
Is this from the games-workshop or from ebay?

Either way it seems odd, since the cut from the sprue would ruin the clearness of the plastic, requiring sandind and polishing to remove the scuff (I assume its resin so might also be dangerous to do from the dust)
Then glueing together the glue would be visible creating internal lines in the model

From private collection :) .
I dont care about the "cut from the sprue would ruibn the clearness of the plastic" as the sprue will remain untouched, like my other unreleased sprue.

IIRC the Balrog that was done was a custom made piece done by someone with access to the moulds and certainly wasn't ever production.

Unreleased balrog yes, the king of the dead and sam was also casted in clear resin.

This is certainly the good and only reason, you may be unfortunately right :shifty:

Fixer
15-01-2012, 19:05
Back during a Gamesday the guys with the casting gear were playing around with the plastic moulds making all sorts of different coloured plastic casts of existing models.

Semi transparent stuff was amongst it. Could be that these are some of the castings that may have gone AWOL like so many spare sprues at the conversion competition.

D503
16-01-2012, 05:15
Thats a great idea. I just emailed GW customer service and suggested that they do this as a direct sales only splash release at the time of the new tau codex to generate interest in the line.

I hope they do, it would make me buy a small army for the novelty. If anyone else would want some, make sure you also email GW customer service and tell them. If they get 50 emails over a month, maybe they will actually think about doing it.

Sorry 'bout your investment :/

owen matthew
16-01-2012, 06:03
Its cool enough... Id buy it. Op, how much did it cost you?

OLIVERASO
16-01-2012, 10:35
Thats a great idea. I just emailed GW customer service and suggested that they do this as a direct sales only splash release at the time of the new tau codex to generate interest in the line.

I hope they do, it would make me buy a small army for the novelty. If anyone else would want some, make sure you also email GW customer service and tell them. If they get 50 emails over a month, maybe they will actually think about doing it.

Sorry 'bout your investment :/

No worry, if 100 guys sent an email to GW service and ask them to release the dwarf lord sprue, they will not release it even if they get 100 emaily :) .

(it cost to me 160 for the sprue + the unreleased oxoyotl by Juan Diaz)

Hellebore
16-01-2012, 10:45
GW's plastic molds can cast in most plastics.

All the transparent bits they sell - cockpit canopies, flying stands, necron rods etc are all cast in transparent plastic in a steel mold. Sometimes they even have sprue on them (the necron rods come on sprue). Back when they released 3rd ed they made a gimble mount for flying models so you could pivot the model at different angles. That came on a sprue too.

hellebore

D503
16-01-2012, 13:12
I dunno.... if something is a case of just putting a different colour of plastic in the mould for a short run of 1,000 for direct sales only, maybe they would consider it.

Its not like its going to come back and bite them in the ****, is it? If I had 2 squads of 10 transparent XV25s I would build up a small army around them just for the coolness factor.

But then again, this is GW. They are notoriously stubborn about the whole 'listening to customers' thing.

But fingers crossed nonetheless.

OLIVERASO
16-01-2012, 14:39
I dunno.... if something is a case of just putting a different colour of plastic in the mould for a short run of 1,000 for direct sales only, maybe they would consider it.

Its not like its going to come back and bite them in the ****, is it? If I had 2 squads of 10 transparent XV25s I would build up a small army around them just for the coolness factor.

But then again, this is GW. They are notoriously stubborn about the whole 'listening to customers' thing.

But fingers crossed nonetheless.

Even the Games Day miniatures get 10K casting.

I offer to you an unreleased kroot if the XV25 sprue will be released.

EDIT : BTW I am interested to see if they answer to your email :) .

Corvus Corone
16-01-2012, 14:41
It's actually best to just make two footprints on the base and write 'tau stealth suit' on the base rim to avoid confusion.

Saves a lot on models.

=)