PDA

View Full Version : CHARIOTS! Help a WHFB noob here + many questions

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 17:40
Hey all. I'm a fairly big 40k player, but as of recent something from WHFB caught my eye that I haven't seen (yet) implemented in 40k- chariots! They're fairly cool looking, nice and big, and 1 chariot costs less then the average troop box. Plus, low model count is always a plus.

However- before I start buying away chariots, I want to ask a few (somewhat simple) questions lol. (and yeah, I got the WHFB rulebook + got access to my friend's seperate codexs)

1) All-in-all, are chariots any good?
2) When are there times when chariots just really suck and aren't useful? Do these 'times' occur often? (lol)
3) Big question: can an all-chariot army work? =)
4) Which race has the stronger/better looking chariots?

Thanks guys :cool:

strv
22-04-2006, 17:56
Yes chariots are good.

You got to get the carge though, to get impact hits, without impact hits, chariots will flee.
Also str 7 or higher will auto destroy a chariot, so do not charge things with str 7 or higher, and trye to stay out of sight from cannons.
They are no good at charging big ranked up units of inf on their own either, since the impact hits arn't that reliable.
But if you use two chariots, you should win combats against ranked up inf.

An all chariot army i think would have trouble against anything with cannons, or things that can outcharge the chariots(elves, goblins).
And there is only two races who can have an allchariot army, chaos and tombkings.
There is one combination you could use for chaos with chariots, give them all mark of tzeenech(sp?), and using a tzeenech lord on disk.
Wich I think works as an army.
Other then that I don't think you can pull of somethign very sucsesful with just chariots

4)Wolfchariots is nice.

mageith
22-04-2006, 18:09
2) When are there times when chariots just really suck and aren't useful? Do these 'times' occur often? (lol)

Chariots cannot voluntarily enter difficult terrain or charge into obstacles (walls). If they do these things involuntarily they take lots of damage.

How terrain is set up and how much of it varies greatly so you need to check with your group to see how it works for you.

Mage Ith

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 18:24
kk... I did want to have an all-chariot army btw. I think it would be very fluffy (like, a fast raider force.) And yes Strv, only 3 armies can have an all-chariot force: BoC, HoC, and Tomb Kings. However, since the tomb kings need to be 2k+ points and have wimpy (light) chariots, I guess I'm stuck debating between HoC Chariots and BoC Chariots.

Pros/Cons for Hordes' chariot:

PRO:Can get marks; Stronger than beast's chariot
CON: Hideousness of the chariot is unbelievable. They really shoulda remade the chariot alongside with the warriors in Storm of Chaos.

Pros/Cons for Beast's chariot

PRO: Tuskgor charge is pretty nifty; new updated model
CON: Except for steed str, weaker in every other aspect; no marks

Anyways, regarding what strv said with Marks of Tzeentch, I don't get. Tzeentch only makes you get more powerdice. I would say it's the weakest of the 4 marks for a chariot?

Anyways- all help involving this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so far guys.

strv
22-04-2006, 18:56
Marks of tzeentch makes an efficient army, that i know people have used,

lord_blackfang
22-04-2006, 19:38
I wanted to do an all-chariot Chaos army when I was getting into Fantasy, but the idea got a very negative reaction in my gaming group. The general opinion was that such an army would be very boring to play with and against.

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 19:44
Hmm.. I personally don't think it would be boring to play with- what I'm worried about is the fact that it is, essentially, a 1-trick pony. I'd have to play very aggressively and if I'd ever get outmanouvred I'd be fairly dead.

Also, for Beasts of Chaos, the Beast magic lore has some interesting synergy with chariots (since chariot's tuskgors are beasts) so yeah, some interesting possibility

Finally- has anyone ever made an all chariot army? If they have, what advice/suggestions would you give me?

ZomboCom
22-04-2006, 20:04
All chariot armies are indeed desperately boring to play with or against. I really wouldn't bother.

ROCKY
22-04-2006, 20:13
chariots are great as a supporting "hammer". I susually field 2in my chaos army and 3in my beast army. the best thing to do is distract a unit and then bring your chariots in and ram the crap out of them. as the others mentioned, it is not smart to bring an all chariot army against strong opponents that can 1) out run you, 2) have S7. so I would take 2-3but no more unless you play Tzeentch.

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 20:27
Rocky- why is everyone talking about Tzeentch? Honestly, I don't understand why +1 to your power dice would be so great? Unless there's some other list I'm missing or something, I can't see what's so great about big T? Please elaborate on this lol =)

ROCKY
22-04-2006, 20:34
Rocky- why is everyone talking about Tzeentch? Honestly, I don't understand why +1 to your power dice would be so great? Unless there's some other list I'm missing or something, I can't see what's so great about big T? Please elaborate on this lol =)
with pleasure friend. as you mentioned, one of the reasons is the 1power dice, while 1 may seem ridiculus, you have to think now what if you have a lord, 2champs, and 10chariots? thats 18power dice easy. which means you @$$ will be BBQed before you can wet your pants. another reason is the sheer mobility of the army (eapecially if they have screamers and furies) and the raw power of being charged by chariots. lastly Discs and chaos dragons can seriously boos the scarriness of this army for their fast mobility and power a well.

Seraphon
22-04-2006, 20:42
i find that chariots are awesome on the charge and if they dont break the enemy on the first round of combat then they start to suck my personal fav chariot is the dark elf coldone chariot cause if they kill enough peeps then they automaticaly break the unit as it now out numbers them

ROCKY
22-04-2006, 20:55
imho, chaos has the strongest chariots and crew (S5 attacks) and the steeds hit for S4 and it causes d6+1 S5 attacks and is hard to kill off. cold one chariots are not as armored as orc and chaos chariots.

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 21:08
Rocky: ah.. if only chaos didn't have such janky looking chariots, that in itself would have convinced me to play chaos :P but meh.

But yeah, speaking of magic and stuff- Tomb Kings can like, revive their chariots and stuff with magic right?

ROCKY
22-04-2006, 21:39
I suppose, but their chariots are WAH (weak as hell). plus if you run into dragon ogres with GWs... plus, you can always convert your chariots, I converted many of my tiskgor chriots into marauder chariots.

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 21:50
Hmm.. converting them I'd happily do... except.. I'm strapped on cash. Buying extra warrior box just to place those new (amazing looking) warriors on the spot were the crappy looking warriors are supposed to be takes a fair bit of cash ($45 cad) which is hard for a poor soon-to-be-universoty kid as myself.

Tomb Kings have caught my eye however... not their chariots, mind you, but their undeadiness and their ability to revive troops (plus wacky standards)(plus I got the book for them -.-)

ROCKY
22-04-2006, 21:53
Hmm.. converting them I'd happily do... except.. I'm strapped on cash. Buying extra warrior box just to place those new (amazing looking) warriors on the spot were the crappy looking warriors are supposed to be takes a fair bit of cash ($45 cad) which is hard for a poor soon-to-be-universoty kid as myself.

Tomb Kings have caught my eye however... not their chariots, mind you, but their undeadiness and their ability to revive troops (plus wacky standards)(plus I got the book for them -.-)
I perfer vampire counts over them. you get TRUE necromancy and do not forget, VAMPIRES! muwahaha!

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 22:00
Yeah making a VC massive-zombie-horde army tempted me a while back (wayyy back) but I didn't like how some of the models looked kinda oldish and custy (i.e the necromancers, some of the units, etc)

The TK lets me play necromancy-ishness with less models, more skull white goodness, and wacky egyptian themes. Plus, I can have undead knights as troops =P undead version of brettonia, baby.

RobbiP
22-04-2006, 22:36
Yea will, that's a big problem indeed. That, plus I care more about how models looks as opposed to winning/losing, and Chaos has some ugly ass chariots lol. In the Tactics forum, I'm asking if a TK heavy cavalry focused army would work- I think it would, but hey I dunno.

Gazak Blacktoof
23-04-2006, 00:17
Well the problem with a tomb king heavy cavalry army is that the power is all in the charge, fail to break your enemy and they're laughing. You can't support heavy cavalry well as a tomb kings player either as there is only 1 character in the army that can be placed in a cavalry unit, the icon bearer. Icon bearers only have 2 strength 4 attacks so add little to the power of the unit.

A single heavy cavalry unit of a decent size or 2 small units for flanking work well but a whole army is a risky prospect.

Have you thought about trying either brets or one of the elf armies if you want a low model count rapid army? An all mounted chaos army works well, lots of dead hard knights and chariots-if you decreaset the number of chariots then you'll need to spend less time and money converting models.

Mad Makz
23-04-2006, 00:34
You can do a lot with a Tomb King army based around Chariots, but like all forces you WILL need support.

Tomb King Chariots aren't as weak as most people think. Yes, they are weak compared to regular chariots, but they are still quite good.

i like to think of them as working like fast, undead ogres. They have a similiar stateline to an ogre, do a little more damage on a charge, a little less after the charge, but you have the magic phase to help you out there and the fact that they are unbreakable.

They do suffer greatly versus strength 7 attacks. unfortunately, there is little that you can do about this except avoid/assasinate the strength 7 characters. Fortunately Tomb Kings do have some other very cool units (Tomb Scorpions, rules wise. Don't care for the model myself, but that's why I converted my own Tomb Snake... and Ushabti who are cool modelwise AND rules wise) that help them out in dealing with such characters.

All in all, If you want a heavily Chariot themed army, Tomb Kings are a cool choice, and they are tactically challenging (do not confuse this with weak, They are no worse an army than 80% of the other army lists in the right configuration, however, they require a LOT more thought than a lot of the other army lists as you are have twice the number of phases to plan your attack (Movement and magic) compare to most other armies.)

StormCrow
23-04-2006, 15:13
Finally- has anyone ever made an all chariot army? If they have, what advice/suggestions would you give me?

after i had collected about 4000pts worth of TK's i realised i could field a 1000pt all chariot force. My advice?...

DON'T FIELD AN ALL CHARIOT FORCE

very boring to play with/against, and as soon as your opponent realises what is effective against your chariots, you're doomed (chaos exalted champ with great weapon and helm of many eyes comes to mind). i'm guessing the same would go for chaos chariot armies, but when theirs die, they stay dead.

put simply, chariots are good but they aren't THAT good

adreal
25-04-2006, 03:43
I love Chariots, but I would never, never, never field an all chariot army, to easy to kill.

Good chariot heavy armies would be Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, Orcs and Gobbos and Chaos.

Dark Elves probably have the toughest chariots in the game (IMHO) while Chaos can have the most numerous. Tomb kings and Orcs and Gobbos can have 'weaker' chariots, but yeah......

Really it comes down to models, what you like the look of.