PDA

View Full Version : Moon Mourners (a relatively lost CSM legion)

Icewalker
04-06-2005, 19:16
The Moon Mourners (I'll just sum this up to prevent boredom) were once part of the Alpha Legion. Just before the Alpha Legion switched sides, they formed their own band of warriors. Although small, they were very well trained in Guerrilla tactics. Soon after the Alpha Legion turned, they began to feel the warp overtake them. After the death of Horus, they turned to Chaos falling prey to the malevalence that is the warp. Soon, they realized their error and tried to return to the Imperium.

The Imperium essentialy said " :wtf: ?! You expect us to take you back after fighting with chaos? no way!" and then they tried to kill them. Why'd they try to kill them. Mutations mostly. Soon after being chased left and right, they stopped running and killed their pursuers remembering the teachings of Alpharius. they havce become misanthropes and mockery of their former glory hating both the Imperium and the very stuff of Chaos and that which they have become.

How is it?

Typheron
04-06-2005, 19:21
sounds ok, although when you write up a full version of it oviously make it more 40k in feeling.

Also Imperium would just try to waste them on the premis that there trators and not even bother to talk to them.

mostholycerebus
04-06-2005, 20:05
Did preheresy legions even have successor chapters? I thought that before the codex astartes they just grew bigger and bigger.

Icewalker
04-06-2005, 21:26
Did preheresy legions even have successor chapters? I thought that before the codex astartes they just grew bigger and bigger.
We can be creative and say that they chose to leave the Legion beforehand. Here's a little change.

Moon Mourners try to get through to the imp. by vox (or telephone :D ) and say their not bad. Imps throw a fit at what their saying and try to kill them (never meet, only hear one another). how's that?

sigur
05-06-2005, 02:03
@Icewalker: In an old short story it's said that CSM like to use SM vox fequencies to distract and enrage their former brothers. :)

one little comment: The warp itself isn't evil or tempts people to worship the dark gods; it's the creatures/entities/voices within the Warp.

@mostholycerebus: Following Icewalker's description and the fluff (IIRC), the Moon Mourners aren't a chapter per se, but a band of warriors (see above) who called themselves MM, so this would be okay I think.

Kinstryfe
05-06-2005, 02:48
My take on it is thus:

Good premise. Actually, a lot nicer than a lot that are floating around there. It just needs a little fleshing out.

As for them being Alpha Legion, I would simply say that they were Garrison Force Delta of the 6th Company, 4th Grand Company of the Alpha Legion.
Or something like that.
Basically, that they are the marines that during the Heresy were off guarding some little moon somewhere, and actually played little part in it. Staying loyal to the Emperor, they were appalled by their legion's behavior, and renounced their legion, becoming in effect a successor chapter.

Of course, to the Imperium, they were just traitor scum, so they were left hating everyone.

Over time, they felt the pull of chaos at their souls, as well as their duty to the Imperium that hates them. ::insert everything else you wrote here:: Adding some mention to their reveling in fighting battle brothers of both the Imperium and Chaos for added diversity, just for the irony would be fun.

On a slightly less serious note, I'm remembering a story I heard about pandas when I was young, where a little girl died and they all rubbed her blood on them, and that's how they got their black markings. A colour scheme based off of a panda, white with appropriate black markings "to mourn their lost glory" could be kinda cool...

~Kinstryfe

Twisted Ferret
05-06-2005, 06:28
I'm remembering a story I heard about pandas when I was young, where a little girl died and they all rubbed her blood on them, and that's how they got their black markings.
:wtf: That's sort of strange, as pandas are (I think) relatively gentle creatures... herbivores, too.

Icewalker
05-06-2005, 14:51
:wtf: That's sort of strange, as pandas are (I think) relatively gentle creatures... herbivores, too.
I believe that they are also quite territorial but I don't know this for a fact. I'll start off again now with some of the extra stuff you guy's have posted up.

FLUFF:

A few years before the Heresy, the the Garrison Force Delta of the 6th Company, 4th Grand Company was of the Alpha Legion. When the Horus Heresy began, they were appalled with the behaviour of their fellow Alpha Legionaires and more apalled with their Primarch Alpharius. However, they stayed loyal to the Emperor, but the Imperium saw them as Chaos scum and hunted them down, but were slaughtered at the hands of the former Alpha Legionaires. To them, the only thing that was home to them was a small moon on the edge of what is today the Tau Empire.

Long before they were hunted down, their psykers saw the enemy was moving to destroy them and thus, had to flee their homeworld before it was destroyed. They moved into what would be the present Tau Empire on battle barges and strike cruisers and in a violent spasm of rage, annhilated any world that was inhabited by any living organism. The destruction of their homeworld came much sooner than anticipated due to their barbaric behaviour.

Over time, Chaos, which they held such contempt for eventually took effect. Their minds were untainted, but their bodies were hideous parodies of their former glory. The misanthropes of the Alpha Legion stalk the galaxy purging all things of life to try to gain forgiveness when forgiveness will never find them.

How's that?

Kinstryfe
05-06-2005, 16:17
::two thumbs up at Icewalker::

@Ferret- I don't think the pandas killed her. She was their friend or something, and they were sad when she died.

Oh, here it is, thank google:

Myth Story of the Giant Pandas:
The Tibetan myth on how the giant panda got it's markings begins when four young shepherdesses that are killed while trying to rescue a panda from a leopard. When the other pandas heard of what has happened, they decide to hold a funeral to honor the girls' sacrifice.

At this time giant pandas were pure white. To honor the deceased girls, the white pandas arrived at the funeral wearing black arm bands. The pandas were so sad, and so moved by the ceremony, that they began to cry. As their tears rolled down their faces, the dye from the black armbands began to run and mingle with their tears. As they rubbed their eyes, the black dye made big spots. In their grief, they clutched at their ars and began hugging one another closely. The black dye marked the areas where the pandas touched themselves and each other. The pandas vowed never to wash off the black dye as a remembrance of the girls and the sacrifice they made. They also wanted their panda cubs, and the panda cubs yet to come, to remember what happened. So the pandas turned the four shepherdesses, into a mountain with four peaks.

So a little different than I remembered. Though I still think the Emperor's Cuddly Pandas would make a nice marine chapter.

warlordgrubnatz
05-06-2005, 16:43
sounds good, cant wait to hear more fluff.

Icewalker
05-06-2005, 19:05
sounds good, cant wait to hear more fluff.
Uh...that's all I got on me. I remember I made a sheet of paper with more so I guess I'll have to retrieve it. When I find it, I'll put up some of the other stuff.

Icewalker
09-06-2005, 01:04
Hi,

Lost the sheet so I'm starting off from scratch essentially. Their warmaster guy is named (I think) Mordekai Doomwalker and he like all the guys in his chapter are misanthropes and hates the xenos scum as much as the imperials.

Twisted Ferret
12-06-2005, 00:35
@Ferret- I don't think the pandas killed her. She was their friend or something, and they were sad when she died.
Oh. I was imagining vicious Chaos pandas dismembering the poor girl and rubbing her bodily fluids on themselves in a depraved rite of foul victory. :wtf: