PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Guard Regiment Codexs?

meddy
17-01-2012, 18:29
Hi Guys, I just saw a thread asking if it was possible for GW to introduce any new races into the game and, while I doubt they will, it got me thinking...

Will GW ever release codices for seperate Guard Regiments ala Space Marine codices?

Just post your thoughts below guys, thanks in advance.

wilsonian
17-01-2012, 18:41
Doubt this would happen. In the last Codex you had different skill groups (can't remember what they were called). But it basically let you field an army that resembled a certain regiment of the IG.

That being said the Catachan codex was a little weak as they were only good in large soft cover tables.

Okuto
17-01-2012, 18:46
Urgghhh.....so GW could make more money off us and non-imperial players can wait in the back of the line even longer

No....the IG codex can easily cover all the regiments....esp if they return the doctrine system..

Separating IG dexes would just yet again...slow things down.....non imperial players already generally have to wait in line for two power armored douche bags before they get anything......

I really wouldn't want non-imperial players to have to wait even longer for their stuff to make it past the hordes of imperials....

So no....and mind you my main army is IG.....

We already have six different favors of power armor.....as if we need equal amount of IG dexes......

IF GW could actually produce/update dexes timely then I'd not see a prob but when codexes shows up esp when it's non-marine they're trapped with it for 8-10 yrs+ while marines of course get get to cut in line into the VIP

meddy
17-01-2012, 18:48
Yes, I have that codex somewhere... Doctrines I think?

But I think it could be made to work:
You'd have your Cadians being the poster boys = Ultramarines.
And then have a few more codices for regiments that definately don't fight at all like them. Tallarn, Krieg, Elysians, Catachan etc etc

EDIT: I see your point Okuto, I am a Tau and Eldar player and yes, it frustratiing: maybe just a return of the doctrine syste?

AlexHolker
17-01-2012, 19:04
No, it's a terrible idea, for the Guard and for everyone else. Everyone else is stuck waiting longer for desperately needed updates, and the Guard are stuck with army lists that try to shoehorn them into one of a handful of regimental concepts. For example, what if you want a mix of Elysians and Catachans, as air-mobile jungle fighters? A doctrine system might allow for such a thing, but separate Elysian and Catachan codices would not.

Bunnahabhain
17-01-2012, 19:10
No, it would result in longer waits for xeno players, and worse Guard books. No thanks at all.

Besides, we have FW and their real variant lists, not just difference for the sake of differencesales, as GW main do with marines, which would surely be the model.

meddy
17-01-2012, 19:24
So do you guys think Doctrines will make a return in the next Codex, I hope so.

Askari
17-01-2012, 19:32
Can't really imagine a guard regiment that's not well-supported by the current 'dex really...

BrotherCaptainS
17-01-2012, 19:59
All GW needs to do with guard is rerelease the doctrine system in the ned dex and then rerelease all of the different metal regiments again. As long as i can keep getting vosies though i dont mind.

Oh but I do miss the catachans with their ws 4. That was always fun. and they were gung ho, which was equivilent to ATSKNF, plus the ogryns as a troop choice. oh and the independent officers for platoons was cool. umm and the had original heavy weapon squads. the extra attack sentinals were pretty sweet. Ok so maybe i was wrong i miss the catachan codex. It was really cool.

igwarlord
17-01-2012, 20:02
Can't really imagine a guard regiment that's not well-supported by the current 'dex really...

ONly thing we would like is a way to make an all trooper army that fills all slots. maybe a 5 or 6 weapon heavy weapon squad that could split fire would be cool maybe cost less per weapon than the current heavy weapon squad. then yes we could make any army. my old catachan army had no veichles and i miss that.

doubleT
17-01-2012, 20:21
What I'd like to see is some sort of "Seal of Approval" from GW for FW lists like Elysians or Krieg's Siege Regiment Army List. Just one sentence in an official announcement that says "it's checked by GW, on par with regular codizes and fully approved". That would stop all the "I don't play against FW lists"-sayers.

Konovalev
17-01-2012, 20:24
I don't think different guard regiments get enough face time in fluff to even have the material for seperate codicis. From what I've read, guard have always been the faceless masses that show up to die in droves, go pew pew, and grind things to dust with ordnance. When you have divergent, unorthodox actions it's usually being carried out by a small squad or platoon lead by a named hero not an entire regiment.

From what we know, I think the current regiments such as catachan, elysian and cadians are represented well in the codex.

Askari
17-01-2012, 21:06
ONly thing we would like is a way to make an all trooper army that fills all slots. maybe a 5 or 6 weapon heavy weapon squad that could split fire would be cool maybe cost less per weapon than the current heavy weapon squad. then yes we could make any army. my old catachan army had no veichles and i miss that.

Why do you need to fill all the slots, you can easily fill all your points with nothing but infantry...

GrimZAG
18-01-2012, 00:14
I think the Imp Guard can easily be represented in one book. More books would be great but I don't think it will happen. Also try looking up the old Codex Catachans

Bloodknight
18-01-2012, 00:23
God, no. If anything they should roll the SM codices into one big tome instead of unnecessarily bloating another imperial army to X books, and I say that as a Guard (Mordians) player.

Kirth
18-01-2012, 00:44
We don't need more rules, we need more models. More plastic models.

The main reason I fumble with my own custom IG regiments is for variety. I already have a traitor regiment purchased thats different from my last two. I'd love a revamp of Tallarn or Steel Legion into plastics. Vostroya would be great too! Just give us plastics! Rules don't matter with such a great codex like we have now.

Chem-Dog
18-01-2012, 01:00
Urgghhh.....so GW could make more money off us and non-imperial players can wait in the back of the line even longer

Imperial is a in-game delineation only. My Imperial Guard Armies aren't improved in any way when a New Marine thing comes out so I have to wait just as long as any other faction.

Anyway back to the question....
Will they ever do it?
No, I honestly don't think so.
We've had Variant IG army Codexes and Lists in the past and they tended to be incredibly Simple (Like introducing "Chimeras for everybody" rules for the Steel Legion) or hyper expanded to the point of sillyness (Deathworld Vets came with rules on what kind of battlefield they should be fighting in) and they've all been dumped in favour of a single book.

Doctrines:- Were great but suffered from the same problem as any mechanic that does similar, you encounter the same handful because they're "better" than the others and any implied disadvantage is often entirely bypassed or mitigated/ ignored by army builds (See SW Sagas, SM Traits & Tyranid "Mutants"). Simplest way of doing it is making it an all or nothing option with Officers needing appropriate upgrades to make it available to other Units.

Notanoob
18-01-2012, 01:33
No to more codexes, yes to more variety in codex by means of doctrines/traits/mutations/etc., please to plastics for all regiments' basic troops.

Okuto
18-01-2012, 01:54
Imperial is a in-game delineation only. My Imperial Guard Armies aren't improved in any way when a New Marine thing comes out so I have to wait just as long as any other faction.

But us IG players do get spoiled from Forge world....:p while we wait in line....

Beppo1234
18-01-2012, 02:22
no seperate codices needed... just discounts and premiums in points added to the army list for different types of regiments

AlphariusOmegon20
18-01-2012, 02:51
I'd love a revamp of Tallarn or Steel Legion into plastics.

You, sir, are my new hero......

Beppo1234
18-01-2012, 06:19
You, sir, are my new hero......

all it would take is for a different leg and head sprue, keep the Cadian bodies

AndrewGPaul
18-01-2012, 08:16
The main differences between Tallrn,Cadian, Moirdian, etc, regiments is tactics, not equipment. No need for separate army lists. You could have, if you so desired, different types of regimental army lists - the current Codex being an Infantry Regiment, Elysians being a Drop Troop Regiment, Krieg being a Seige Regiment, and you could add an Armoured Regiment and possibly some sort of Light Regiment to represent Catachans and the like, but none of those are restricted to a single recruiting world - you get Tallarn, Cadian and Catachan armoured regiments, for example.

Having said that, they should all be in the one book.

Which look nothing like the Tallarn or Steel Legion troops, as they presently appear.

Kirth
18-01-2012, 08:19
I could see Tallarn and Steel Legion sharing legs/torso but the rest would have to be independent.

Beppo1234
18-01-2012, 10:10
Which look nothing like the Tallarn or Steel Legion troops, as they presently appear.

not for Tallarn, but it would work fine for SL. SL legs and heads, on cadian arms and bodies would work just fine. It would be a mild update that was no more different than when the cadians made their transition to plastic. Infact, whenever I get around to overhauling my SL army, I was thinking about buying 192 Cadian lt legs, with all the bodies and arms to go along with that, and take all the heads off my SL, and putting them back together like so.

Tallarn would really have to be a whole new line. Legs would be different, bodies would be different, arms would be different, heads would be different.

Shadowheart
18-01-2012, 10:41
Will GW ever release codices for seperate Guard Regiments ala Space Marine codices?
Well, nothing is certain and "ever" is a long time. Who knows what changes in technology, the market, management and designers will bring. I sure didn't expect a plastic Valkyrie back when I was reading my 2nd edition Codex IG.

Also, Space Marines are an aberration. No other army in any game has that kind of popularity. Background-wise there's no reason for them to have more variation in their army lists than everyone else, but it sells. Besides, it's very much expected of them at this point.

So I'm gonna say regiment (and Craftworld etc.) codices are unlikely, but possible. I could see them try it as a way to promote the next batch of plastic infantry, whenever and whatever that is. But I'm not counting on it.

Personally I'd prefer it if they trimmed the number of variant lists down to a minimum and focussed on sourcebooks that give you a lot of background and hobby material. Not counting on that either.

Half a sprue is still a sprue. Might as well go the whole hog. Especially since half a Steel Legionnaire, at least to me, wouldn't be a Steel Legionnaire.

JManJump
18-01-2012, 10:58
No....the IG codex can easily cover all the regiments....esp if they return the doctrine system..

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want them back I never played with them but I saw plenty of games with them and they are the best.
and bring back Vultchers (sorry for spelling).

AlphariusOmegon20
18-01-2012, 15:22

You are aware of the long coats and high boots that Steel Legion wear, right? Cadian bodies look nothing like SL bodies.

Hicks
18-01-2012, 15:36
I don't think this would happen, but I'd like them to release more campaign books with official army lists in them, or just official units limited to each regiments.

Corvus Corone
18-01-2012, 15:41
Please no.

It would just add more books, with all the fuss and hassle that that brings.

I don't even think the loyalist space marines should have more than one book.

ColShaw
18-01-2012, 16:46
As a longtime IG player, with 4 different IG armies, I oppose this plan. It would be needlessly complicated for opponents, who would have to figure out all the different regiment rules, and wouldn't really bring anything new to the army.

If anything, the IG should either have a return of regimental doctrines, or have regiment-specific HQs to unlock certain units or options, like Marines have.

The Highlander
18-01-2012, 17:07
Personally I think the best idea would be to have the option to upgrade one of your company command squads to a variant regiment (such as light infantry or mechanised) which then grants extra options and restrictions to the list. For example, upgrading to airborne commander could give the option to upgrade all infantry to have the ability to deep strike, but not allow any vehicles to be taken apart from sentinels and valkyries/vendettas.

GrandDukeJerot
18-01-2012, 17:16
What I'm hoping is that their new codex paradigm is to make GIANT codices (think 5th ed rulebook size) that contain every army within the faction. SM would have all the favorite legions, IG would have Cadia, Catachans, Chaos would have all their 9 legions, etc..

meddy
18-01-2012, 18:31
The Highlander;6039670For example, upgrading to airborne commander could give the option to upgrade all infantry to have the ability to deep strike, but not allow any vehicles to be taken apart from sentinels and valkyries/vendettas.
This, Ladies and Gentlemen, IMHO is THE way forward.

Beppo1234
18-01-2012, 21:54
You are aware of the long coats and high boots that Steel Legion wear, right? Cadian bodies look nothing like SL bodies.

different legs = long coats, different heads = gas masks. A little armour never hurt anybody

AlphariusOmegon20
19-01-2012, 02:00
different legs = long coats, different heads = gas masks. A little armour never hurt anybody

Except you can't see the SL's armor, because it's underneath that long coat, and thus not in view. Even their lasguns are different.

Again, Cadians look nothing like Steel Legionnaires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chem-Dog
19-01-2012, 05:17
But us IG players do get spoiled from Forge world....:p while we wait in line....

You have a point. Forgeworld stuff is still very much an optional extra to me and, I suspect, a great many others.
The only Forgeworld model I own that isn't readily available from Citadel is a Hydra and nothing I own from Forgeworld is less than *quick mental calculation* a decade old.
I like a great deal of their stuff purely on aesthetic grounds and, if I were to include it in an army, it would be standing is as something else. So even then they're just giving me alternate model options.

The exception to the rule is the Tauros Venator, I will be getting one or two of those eventually, even if I never use them in a game (of 40K, at least).

laudarkul
19-01-2012, 08:05
I would love something like 3-4 Guard Codexes (+ 2 from FW) onkly wuith the condition that all xenos codices would not be delayed.
One question is that why Elysians and DKoK do not have a codex yet?
Those armies have the models range and with some serious play testing, two IG codexes (with the addition of different wargear/weapons/organization rules ) dedicated to them (+some similar regiments i.e. Harakoni Warhawks) could appear. I think that only by selling the books GW would receive some serious money from all the 40k players.

Explodingboy
19-01-2012, 09:19
Oh No, can't be coping with multiple codex it's not really necessary.

As already been mentioned, they just need to bring doctrines back, and shuffle a few units here and there, ie: Infantry platoons and Veteran squads.

Infantry platoons could really do with transport for special weapon and heavy squads, since now my Steel legion support units have to hoof it behind the rest of their platoon. Not to mention just the 5 heavy weapon squads as a troop choice is just makes little sense after the 2 previous editions where supposed to be reducing heavy spam.

Veterans, I just don't like them very un.. guard like to be better equipped than a space marine and for less points, I'd rather see them either loose the 3 specials if they stay a troop choice or at least bring back the 1-3 unit cap.

tu33y
19-01-2012, 09:23
i think there is an IG Catachan codex out there to be made. not only made but very different in style and competetive. there are always fandex's for catachans out there, take alook.

Explodingboy
19-01-2012, 09:24
Except you can't see the SL's armor, because it's underneath that long coat, and thus not in view. Even their lasguns are different.

Yeah but the plastic Cadians looks nothing like the metal versions they replaced, so what ever guard regiment gets the plastic treatment next is unlikely to be that accurate to the metals (plus the last Catachan kit came with a Cadian pattern armoured torso, so I think it's to be expected that they'll be adding such elements into future ranges too.)