PDA

View Full Version : Warseer Upgrade on Jan 19

The Machine GoD
18-01-2012, 02:13
Warseer will be upgrading our whole site on Jan 19 2012.

This upgrade will happen at 1000EST, 0700PST AM and 1500GMT.

Estimated downtime is 3-5 hours. After this time search features will be unavailable for about 3-5 days while the search engine rebuilds.

Please see attached to see what it will look like.

~Edit: added mobile skin images and more default images.

Lord Malorne
18-01-2012, 03:39
And as the above pic can attest I have been trying it out, have no fear the shifty smilie works fine :shifty: :yes:

A lot of effort and great work put into this, thank you TMG!

spaint2k
18-01-2012, 03:46
Since you've only given one date (the 19th) for the upgrade, can I assume that the times are as follows:
10AM EST,
7AM PST
and 3PM GMT?

The Machine GoD
18-01-2012, 04:09
Updated to 24hr time.

ForgottenLore
18-01-2012, 04:27
I notice that the scheme will still be the standard glowy blue. Will there still be other schemes available?

GrandDukeJerot
18-01-2012, 05:38
Should have done it a day earlier and claimed it was to protest SOPA like Reddit and Wikipedia XD

ashc
18-01-2012, 06:34
Looks schmexy. Like it!

thesheriff
18-01-2012, 07:30
Should look good. Thanks for the update!

Magister
18-01-2012, 09:47
Prrreeeedddyyyyy :)

Charax
18-01-2012, 10:40
I hope I don't have to say goodbye to the flameytheme.

Also hope the tapatalk plugin survives the upgrade

Lord Malorne
18-01-2012, 13:21
I notice that the scheme will still be the standard glowy blue. Will there still be other schemes available?

Yes, other schemes are still available :)

The Machine GoD
18-01-2012, 14:32
I hope I don't have to say goodbye to the flameytheme.

Also hope the tapatalk plugin survives the upgrade

Other styles are not available. Tapatalk is vbulletin 4.X compatible and will be there.

Charax
18-01-2012, 14:38
Yes, other schemes are still available :)

Other styles are not available.

Nice coordinated response there guys

Lord Malorne
18-01-2012, 14:56
Nice coordinated response there guys

Your welcome :)

I misunderstood, there are some different versions but not the red one ;)

Jo-Jo
18-01-2012, 15:08
No search function for 3-5 days? How will users search to see if their questions have been asked before.

Oh. Wait. They don't anyway.

Can't wait to try out the new layout.

DarthSte
18-01-2012, 15:20
Can't wait to try out the new layout.

As a guilder you had access to the Beta site! :o

Jo-Jo
18-01-2012, 15:28
As a guilder you had access to the Beta site! :o

Wait.

Why was I not informed? :shifty:

Burnthem
18-01-2012, 15:37
You should visit the Wastes moar...

Also - I thought the flamey design was staying. :cries:

Nephilim of Sin
18-01-2012, 16:08
Your welcome :)

I misunderstood, there are some different versions but not the red one ;)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It.... it won't be teh same for me....

Burnthem
18-01-2012, 16:24
AFAIK the Portent (Flamey) skin will be returning at a later date, at least that was what was mentioned in the Beta thread.

Nephilim of Sin
18-01-2012, 17:38
That makes me feel better then. Also, I forgot my post wasn't in the Wastes, so, yeah....

Lord Cook
18-01-2012, 19:19
Looks good guys.

2_heads_talking
18-01-2012, 19:47
I've always liked the Portent flame skin, to be honest I've only ever seen the warseer skin if I'm not logged into the site. It would be a real shame to see it go, and I hope that if it is gone it will be returned at a water time.

Bar that, it looks good.

ashc
18-01-2012, 20:47
I'm used to 'Blue Steel' anyway, looking forward to Magnum... :cool:

DasTwitcH
18-01-2012, 21:38
Umm...I hate to ask this at this late hour, but is that EDST or EST? QLD doesn't do Daylight Savings, but NSW and VIC do...

The Machine GoD
19-01-2012, 03:51
There are plans to return the red skin shortly after. The design time on the red one will take 1/10 what the blue one took due to its mostly changing color codes and some minor images. So after the site is up and running on the blue skin fully and the users have found any remaining bugs I will work towards the red design.

Put up a couple more images in the original post.

Also that is with daylight savings.

bert n ernie
19-01-2012, 11:03
Just, wondering. Was this anything to do with SOPA and PEPA?
It seems odd that the downtime was chosen for this specific date(unless I have the dates wrong).

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-01-2012, 11:14
Looks great, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to really comment on it due to being a Tapatalk user, but still congrats on all the hard work.

sigur
19-01-2012, 14:37
It seems odd that the downtime was chosen for this specific date(unless I have the dates wrong).

I'm afraid it's not. Would have been a great opportunity to propagate the importance of SOPA and PIPA and the possible consequences if these things are passed.

Anyhow, back on topic: Thanks TMG for pointing the thing about the portent colour scheme out again. Now I can rest more peacefully. :) Looking forward to the new design! It looked very promising from the "beta" Wastoids/Guilders were able to test.

The Machine GoD
19-01-2012, 15:16

This time chosen is due to me having a day off and it being a weekday.

Charax
19-01-2012, 15:30
It's now 15:29 GMT

So expect downtime soonish

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-01-2012, 15:32
It's now 15:29 GMT

So expect downtime soonish

You mean I might actually have to do some studying rather than browsing good ol' Warseer? That's just no good at all ;)

punisher_1983
20-01-2012, 12:59
love the new look site.
bit more ompff to it.

was gutted when i came home from work last night and i got a white screen, went to bed without my Warseer fix.
but it was worth the wait.

thank you for keeping this site updated and amazing

:skull:Punisher:skull:

Tokamak
20-01-2012, 13:24
It's definitely less easy on the eyes.

I'll be honest, this is a step back. It's an incredibly loud and noisy theme, it looks dated and cheap to old Warseer.

Foolish Mortal
20-01-2012, 13:26
Wow, looking seriously good - will take some getting used to, but I'm old & find change hard to deal with :)

Konovalev
20-01-2012, 13:44
It's definitely less easy on the eyes.

I'll be honest, this is a step back. It's an incredibly loud and noisy theme, it looks dated and cheap to old Warseer.

I AGREE! Also, the divider between sigs and posts is barely visible which gives the impression that the sig is part of the post...

Magot
20-01-2012, 14:40
OK this is a very good improvement !

the text editor with the WYSIWYG works great.
no longer write a message, look at the priview, edit, look again at preview, edit, look again, sent............

the new settings menu is a great improvement comparing to the old CP
its now with a nice overview of your folders and subscriptions. THANK YOU !

and with Auto Save content !!
Im now just figuring out how to use the spell checker,

thank you all for this well done job, time and energy yo putting in this forum

Zark the Damned
20-01-2012, 14:49
Is there any way you can allow the previous version of the forums as a style? I much preferred the black and gold theme...

EDIT: Also the quick post wysiwyg editor is wonky, it seems to have some autosave thing which complains when the thread tries to refresh after I post...

horizon
20-01-2012, 14:54
Hi,

the new style is indeed 'busy' compared to the former look. The text / quick reply editor is cool though.

And I like the vB4 default style (I really dislike black backgrounds on any webpage/forum, white or another light colour is the best, also for your eyes.)
This style is also a lot less 'busy'.

Wintermute
20-01-2012, 20:00
And I like the vB4 default style (I really dislike black backgrounds on any webpage/forum, white or another light colour is the best, also for your eyes.)
This style is also a lot less 'busy'.

I just tried the default style and its much too bright for my eyes, but then again I prefer the Alternative Forums style which is very similar to the new WarSeer Blue scheme. I find blue and white on black much easier to read, but for inputting text you can't beat black on white.

The Machine GoD
20-01-2012, 20:09
Is there any way you can allow the previous version of the forums as a style? I much preferred the black and gold theme...

EDIT: Also the quick post wysiwyg editor is wonky, it seems to have some autosave thing which complains when the thread tries to refresh after I post...

It is not possible to use the old skins the code is completely different.

Wintermute
20-01-2012, 20:18
It is not possible to use the old skins the code is completely different.

In that case we should remove them as options from the Quick Select Menu ;)

Wintermute

The Machine GoD
20-01-2012, 22:26
In that case we should remove them as options from the Quick Select Menu ;)

Wintermute

Only admins can see them wintermute. :)

Vex
20-01-2012, 23:23
Difficult to read.
I'm sad.
:(

Jo-Jo
21-01-2012, 00:13
That pop up box was very annoying. Glad its gone!

Crazy Harborc
21-01-2012, 00:28
Heck, I am just glad Warseer is back up. It was "terrible" without Warseer....Oh boy getting deep.

FashaTheDog
21-01-2012, 01:31
My Warseer changed! Why do I never read these things and get blindsi- ohh I like it, never mind the rant :) The auto save feature I keep seeing pop up is nice and welcome. Now if only Gmail could do half as good a job on a redesign...

Skywave
21-01-2012, 01:57
Looking good so far, but it could use a better contrast in the posts separation. Like someone said, hard to see the division between the actual post and the signature, all the "box" lines should be brighter (those around the individual posts, the vertical seperation of the user info and avatar, the horizontal seperation of the signature, etc.).

We see a better definition of the quotes though, wich is good (but could also benefit from being a tad bit lighter :P).

The Machine GoD
21-01-2012, 02:12
Changed the sig sperator to 3 pixels

carlisimo
21-01-2012, 02:35
I find the new site harder to read due to the excessive spacing between threads and posts and the large icons next to thread titles. It’s pretty bad for those of us who tend to use a small browser window.

This will reduce the amount of time I spend here, but most users seem to like it so I won’t deny it’s a success!

Skywave
21-01-2012, 03:47
Changed the sig sperator to 3 pixels

I don't know what that change do in realiity, I don't really see it :D

But what I meant is a higher contrast in the lines. I've included an exemple to what I meant. It's an exageration, but the line being more visible would help I think.

Note: While typing this, it would also help having brighter lines when we do "preview" of our post. When I look down at the thread 'history', the post are condesed and it's even harder to read without clear seperation. So with higher constrast throughout the site would be easier on the eyes.

ashc
21-01-2012, 10:47
I'm fine with it, looks great and very up to date. Glade that 'leave page' box from quick reply was not just a problem with my Chrome! (and its gone too).

I have changed my Avatar in honour of the newer, bluer look. :cool:

Sandlemad
21-01-2012, 11:55
I like the new look but what's the likelihood of including the Quick Navigation option at the bottom of the individual forum pages (WHFB Tactics, etc.) as well as at the bottom of each thread page?

The Machine GoD
21-01-2012, 14:40
I like the new look but what's the likelihood of including the Quick Navigation option at the bottom of the individual forum pages (WHFB Tactics, etc.) as well as at the bottom of each thread page?

It is there next to the page numbers.

Skywave
21-01-2012, 19:09
I don't know what that change do in realiity, I don't really see it :D

But what I meant is a higher contrast in the lines. I've included an exemple to what I meant. It's an exageration, but the line being more visible would help I think.

Note: While typing this, it would also help having brighter lines when we do "preview" of our post. When I look down at the thread 'history', the post are condesed and it's even harder to read without clear seperation. So with higher constrast throughout the site would be easier on the eyes.

Ok don't mind me now, I tried the site on my 3DS and the contrast was much better! So I went to my screen setting and adjusted it, now it's clearer, so was probably just my default setting that was too dark :)

Sgt John Keel
21-01-2012, 20:47
I find the new site harder to read due to the excessive spacing between threads and posts and the large icons next to thread titles. Its pretty bad for those of us who tend to use a small browser window.

Indeed. I'm not sure what the purpose is of the very large icons when so little of them change to indicate different statuses. It's not easy to glance over the list to see which threads are locked or I have posted in, compared to before when ~50 % of the icon changed and the difference was very obvious. (Although it seems to be the default icons, so I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings.)

Also, the "thread started by" lines add a lot of visual noise when you're trying to get a quick overview of the thread titles, in addition to the already mentioned excessive vertical space.

Skywave
21-01-2012, 21:10
Also, the "thread started by" lines add a lot of visual noise when you're trying to get a quick overview of the thread titles, in addition to the already mentioned excessive vertical space.

On that I agree, I think this would work better as a column instead.

Sandlemad
21-01-2012, 21:36
It is there next to the page numbers.

Hurf durf I see it now. Nice one.

The Machine GoD
22-01-2012, 00:23
If anyone can come up with a new icon I can modify it easily. So feel free to post something.

Skywave
22-01-2012, 03:00
If anyone can come up with a new icon I can modify it easily. So feel free to post something.

Sweet, I might have an idea for that, I'll work on something and PM you an exemple :)

Sami
22-01-2012, 14:30
For those of us using the default VB theme, any chance of a Warseer picture at the top? Failing that, something that isn't just the VB logo? :D

Burnthem
22-01-2012, 16:15
I second that, i'm using the VB theme until the Portent one returns. :)