PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Battle Stanard Bearer Question.

Xavier
22-04-2006, 21:18
I think I already know the answer to this. But for my own amusement and clarity..

In a 1000point game, can you as a high elf army take a battle standard as your only character. There by when Intrigue at the Court randomly decides who your general is he is always that character.

Now ill add here, the battle standard bearer can only be the general if it is RANDOMLY chosen to be the general, so you cannot pick him to be the general.

The way I see it is, if you have a BSB as your only character you need to roll a 1 on the dice to determine who your general is otherwise your army is illegal and cannot be used.

As odd as it sounds has this actually been Q&A'd.

For most armys battle standard bearers cant be the general at all, (except the slann) and at the doubles conflict it says the single hero you choose must be able to be your general and so may not be an army battle standard bearer.

Major Defense
23-04-2006, 00:37
No army can have only the BSB with no other characters. High Elves simply have that extra (annoying) rule for IaC that can possibly make him the general. You still need to have a legal army before you roll that part.

Tarax
25-04-2006, 10:32
While I don't think that's true, I wonder WHY you want your ONLY character to be the BSB. Isn't doubles at 500 points? Wouldn't you better invest in a Mage? They're both 95 point, and you wouldn't want neither in close combat.

Xavier
25-04-2006, 12:21
You dont think whats true?

You think that high elfs are the exception to every other race in fantasy (except the slann) and can use the loop hole in their rules to take a bsb as their general?

and this wasn't a doubles game, it was just a 1000 point game.

BloodiedSword
25-04-2006, 22:02
It's an interesting question..

Having thought about it, I can't come up with a convincing argument that you can do it, as the rules are not clear whether you are allowed to field an army that could be general-less.

However, just based on the fact that on a 2+, your army would then be illegal, I'd say no.

It's on the same vein as "what happens if two HE players are fighting and two characters with Null Stones move within 6" of each other"..

taer
26-04-2006, 03:21
It's on the same vein as "what happens if two HE players are fighting and two characters with Null Stones move within 6" of each other"..

The end of the world, clearly.

T10
26-04-2006, 06:49
The end of the world, clearly.

The game crashes. You will have to restart from the last successful (armour) save.

-T10

Xavier
26-04-2006, 09:59
as the rules are not clear whether you are allowed to field an army that could be general-less.

In every army book where it lists how many units you can have and characters you are allowed for each points limit it states that each army must have atleast one character who must be the general

Major Defense
26-04-2006, 12:06
The game crashes. You will have to restart from the last successful (armour) save.

-T10

Don't forget to reboot your dice.:cheese:

Direwolf quote...

Q. Can a High Elf Battle Standard Bearer be the army's General? If
a High Elf army only takes one character, may it be a Battle Standard
Bearer?

A. The High Elf Intrigue at Court rule overrides the normal rule that
a Battle Standard Bearer may not be the army's general. If the Battle
Standard Bearer's number comes up on the Intrigue at Court roll, then
he is indeed the army's General.

Note that it is still illegal for a High Elf army to field a Battle
Standard Bearer as the only character. If the High Elf player rolls
a 2+ on the Intrigue at Court roll, you could not choose the
Battle Standard Bearer as the General, making the army illegal.
S. High Elves Army Book pages 6,25

BloodiedSword
26-04-2006, 20:32
I suppose if you read the I@C rule as the following then it all makes sense:

1. Pick your army as normal. Select your general as normal.
2. When you actually play a game, re-select your general randomly using I@C.

That way, if you only take a BSB, your army isn't legal so you never get the chance to use I@C to select him as your general.

Tarax
28-04-2006, 17:20
You dont think whats true?

Perhaps I was a little hasty. Of course you can not start playing with an illegal army. I was just wandering if it would be allowed to have just the BSB-character and no other.
I would assume that when you have 2 characters and one is the BSB, the other is automatically the general, even if he has a lower Ld.

On a personal note, I find it hard to read your posts with that colour. Perhaps it's my poor eyesight, but could you use another colour?

ZomboCom
28-04-2006, 18:45
I would assume that when you have 2 characters and one is the BSB, the other is automatically the general, even if he has a lower Ld.

Not in high elves. I@C always happens when you have more than one character, so the BSB always has a 1/6 chance of being the general in this case.

Xavier
28-04-2006, 19:02
Q. Can a High Elf Battle Standard Bearer be the army's General? If
a High Elf army only takes one character, may it be a Battle Standard
Bearer?

A. The High Elf Intrigue at Court rule overrides the normal rule that
a Battle Standard Bearer may not be the army's general. If the Battle
Standard Bearer's number comes up on the Intrigue at Court roll, then
he is indeed the army's General.

Note that it is still illegal for a High Elf army to field a Battle
Standard Bearer as the only character. If the High Elf player rolls
a 2+ on the Intrigue at Court roll, you could not choose the
Battle Standard Bearer as the General, making the army illegal.
S. High Elves Army Book pages 6,25

Yea thats is what I assumed it would be and it makes the most sense.

On a personal note, I find it hard to read your posts with that colour. Perhaps it's my poor eyesight, but could you use another colour?

No. If you want to read what I write and cant read pink on black (wtf?) then just highlight my post and it will be white on blue.