PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts 2000pts

Felwether
21-01-2012, 04:22
That's right, it's time to jump on the bandwagon! I've decided to pick up VC but I want to sort out a solid list before I make any big purchases. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Vampire Counts 2000pts

Lords

Vampire Lord

Lore of the Vampires, Shield, Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Endurance, Quickblood, Beguile. 344pts

Heroes

Wight King

Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Battle Standard. 159pts

Necromancer

Lore of the Vampires, Extra Level. 100pts

Necromancer

Lore of Death. 65pts

324pts

Core

Skeleton Warriors (40)

Full Command, Spears. 230pts

Skeleton Warriors (40)

Dire Wolves (5) 40pts

500pts

Special

Grave Guard (20)

Full Command, Banner of the Barrows. 300pts

Vargheists (6)

Vargoyle. 286pts

586pts

Rare

Terrorgheist

Rancid Maw. 240pts

Total: 1994pts

I must admit that, having never played undead before, I'm finding character selection to be quite a conundrum. I suppose I'm looking at a fairly defensive army overall with the 'Gheists being able to counter attack or go charging of after warmachines and the likes. I'm definitely not sure on the Vamp Lord, he's reasonably killy but would he be wasted sitting in the GG along with the BSB? Would I be better off taking a Hero level Vamp instead and plumping for a Master Necromancer as my General?

Anyway, any input would be much appreciated.

Wlady
21-01-2012, 09:33
Good list, especially the core selection, which I find always the most difficult to prepere.

Vargheists are heavy hitters for sure, but personal I like the 6 or 8 spirt host and or 10
black knights much more (perhaps because I'm a old school player ;)

Instead of 2 necromancers, I will put 1 master-necromancer in the army at a nightmare.

zielonkak
21-01-2012, 15:05
i really like the list actually, it should be fun to play. You could drop the the two necros and add the lord level 3 caster necro if you drop a few points off the lord vamp....keeping both. put the bsb in the gg, the necro in one unit of skellies, and the lord in the other. i think with all the heavy hitters for the flanks should do nicely...just be carfull of the vargheists's frenzy.

Felwether
21-01-2012, 15:54
Thanks for the input guys! I've decided to plump for a Master Necromancer for sure. I'm also considering swapping the Vargheists (frenzy, combined with their average toughness and lack of a save makes me think they'll just get pin cushioned too easily.) for a unit of 9 Black Knights w/The Screaming Banner led by a cheap enough Fear Incarnate Hero Vamp. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I'll post a proposed revised list soon.

zielonkak
21-01-2012, 16:16
Yea that could work too

meowser
21-01-2012, 23:25
Unless you are going vampire-unit heavy (Varwhatevers, Blood Knights), I don't think BSB are necessary in a VC army, and the points are better spent elsewhere (terror-causing ethereal heroes, more necros/l1 vamps, more chaff).

I could see the Wight King being useful in a list that lacks GG, since the KB is nice for bypassing armour saves, but I dont think the punch he adds is worth his points

You should definitely have Master of the Dead on your L2 necro, since you have such a skeleton-heavy core.

I think 6 vargheists is risky, as they are easily baited. I would drop them to 3 or 4 and beef up the GG

Felwether
23-01-2012, 09:57
Ok so I've updated the list. Here it is:

Vampire Counts 2000pts

Lords

Master Necromancer

Lore of the Vampires, Extra Level, Talisman of Preservation, Master of the Dead. 265pts

Heroes

Vampire

Lore of the Vampires, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Nightmare, Ogre Blade, Dragon Helm, Quickblood, Fear Incarnate. 227pts

Necromancer

Lore of Death. 65pts

Cairn Wraith 60pts

Cairn Wraith 60pts

412pts

Core

Skeleton Warriors (40)

Skeleton Warriors (40)

Dire Wolves (5) 40pts

500pts

Special

Grave Guard (20)

Full Command, Banner of the Barrows. 300pts

Black Knights (9)

Full Command, The Screaming Banner, Barding, Lances. 289pts

589pts

Rare

Terrorgheist 225pts

Total: 1991pts

Thanks for all your help folks.

I've altered the army quite a bit. I decided to go with Black Knights as they seem more reliable than Vargheists. This unit will be lead by a fairly pricey Vamp Hero and it should make for a fairly decent fear bomb.

I went with two Cairn Wraiths to lead my Skelly units and a lvl 4 (although this may prove unnecessary) Master Necromancer as my lord to get some proper casting and magic defence going on.

I've kept the Terrorgheist mostly because I really like the model!

I'd quite like to be able to beef up the GG unit but the points just aren't there.