PDA

View Full Version : Lore breaking chaos spikes

Disturbed Frog
21-01-2012, 08:35
I was painting my chaos rhino and I noticed it had necron skulls on it (there on those single spikes) but according to my necron vodex, when a necron falls it:
A. Phases back to the tomb to receive repairs.
B. Repairs on the battle field to continue fighting.
C. Self destructs to prevent technology from being stolen.

So why does my rhino have about 3 necron heads on it?
And if a chaos army managed to somehow get them why would they stick them on a lowly rhino??

I understand I'm being a tad pedantic but necrons are my new favorite race (nids have been replaced)
And I won't stand for this insubordination!

lantzkev
21-01-2012, 08:38
Self destruct doesn't mean it's completely gone in general. (look at the helicopter demo that happened with the raid on osama bin laden) it just means that it's not able to be reverse engineered from there. The head could very easily just be sensors and speakers and intimidation factor so not necessary in the self destruct process. (and hence why there are heads left lying around)

Most robots we make that are anthromorphic do not have the critical processing parts in the head, it's all in the torso or remote =p

Lord Damocles
21-01-2012, 08:44
+ Necrons don't always phase out entirely. Eg.:
- 'Forever Loyal' in What Price Victory, pg.40
- Hellforged, pg.163
- Damnation Crusade (the victory of the Succubae gates)
- 'Da Necron Rayd' in Gorkamorka Gubbinz, pg.13
- Inquisitor Rulebook (armoury)
- 'Necron Raiders', in White Dwarf 217 (UK), p.28
- Hammer & Anvil, pg.94
etc.

+ Necrons which are out of power (ie. 'dead') can just be picked up. Eg.:
- Nightbringer, pg.208

+ Chaos did it...

+ They're not real Necron skulls, just copies made specifically to be trophies

zoggin-eck
21-01-2012, 09:02
People said the same for the Space Wolf wulfen with daemonette head (and other models with daemon trophies) :)

I wouldn't worry too much. Not nearly as weird as when people model dead and dying enemies on bases when facing other armies (Prince Tyrion stomping a Dark Elf during a battle with Orcs always makes me smile).

Disturbed Frog
21-01-2012, 09:52
Hmm ok I feel better now :)
Off topic what dynasty is trazyn from? I can't seem to find it in me dex

artekfrost
21-01-2012, 12:37
Trazyn seems to either be from a small dynasty based on solemnace or some kind of wandering collector who settled on solemnace and took over. On the painted model of him there is a dynasty symbol, but it has no caption and looks nothing like any of the known dynasties' symbols.

GrimZAG
21-01-2012, 13:18
Well, no models that come from GW can possibly have incorrect fluff ;)

Disturbed Frog
21-01-2012, 14:07
Trazyn seems to either be from a small dynasty based on solemnace or some kind of wandering collector who settled on solemnace and took over. On the painted model of him there is a dynasty symbol, but it has no caption and looks nothing like any of the known dynasties' symbols.

Hmmn guess I'm get to come up with my own name :)

inq.serge
21-01-2012, 15:35
A. Phases back to the tomb to receive repairs.
B. Repairs on the battle field to continue fighting.
C. Self destructs to prevent technology from being stolen.

D. Chaos used to be the only army in previous fluff able to take out a necron invasion (compared to simply letting them phase out like other armies), by simply using deamons to attack the tomb worlds belonging to the crons which the chaos mariners fought. Every repair facility taken down meant less crons were able to phase out /Self repair, and thus their bodies left lying on the field.

People said the same for the Space Wolf wulfen with daemonette head (and other models with daemon trophies) :)

Except that the "head" so to say is still alive, but slowly evaporating back to the warp (that's why all the daemon trophies are fresh and hand-held). You see, deamons do not have heads, eyes or any kind of organs or body parts and weak points at all. They are made of the same homogeneous mass, and every thing you she are just shapes and textures, so cutting off a daemons head is no worse than cutting off one of its hands.

terradax
21-01-2012, 16:31

Someone nagged at me when I made a figure with a daemon head trophy too! My answere is that the "soul" of the daemon doesn't die, it just goeas back to the warp, but the material form (which it doesn't have in the warp) is left on the battlefield :)

bocaj
21-01-2012, 17:41
Looking at the picture on the GW site I think its just a generic skull...

Erazmus_M_Wattle
21-01-2012, 17:49
The trophy poles on the newer chaos vehicle sprue definitely has a Necron skull on one of them. I use them as personal icons on my Marines. The other has a Tau firewarrior head.

Draconis
21-01-2012, 22:47
They are correct. I argued this a couple years ago. I just leave it be.

Korraz
21-01-2012, 22:57
The trophy poles on the newer chaos vehicle sprue definitely has a Necron skull on one of them. I use them as personal icons on my Marines. The other has a Tau firewarrior head.

Which always struck me as funny, considering how utterly unimpressive it is to kill a Firewarrior in Close Combat.
"Hey guys! Look at my new trophies!"
"Gratulations D'rak'zar. You just killed the most helpless creature in the galaxy in hand to hand combat."

Scalebug
21-01-2012, 23:05
It was adressed when that second version of the Chaos spiky sprue came out, now approaching 10 years ago (2003-4?), on the then still up GW forums, by IIRC Andy Chambers or Pete Haines, with "How do you impale a Necron skull on your trophy rack? Really fast!"

The bearded one
22-01-2012, 02:03
The fight may have taken place in the tomb world itself, so it can't really phase out anywhere else (except other bases in the system maybe, unless these are destroyed as well. Regardless, at times there are battles and campaigns where Necrons simply have no more place to fall back to.