PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Wood Elf 2250

Rayd
21-01-2012, 18:02
I've been out of the warhammer game for awhile and played mostly Orcs and Goblins when i did play, so really looking for a lot of advice on this list. Thanks in advance.

Lord:
Spellweaver - Level 4 Lore of Life, Glamourweave kindred, Ranu's Heartstone, 2 Dispell Scrolls, Elven Steed; 358pts

Heroes:
Noble - BSB, Asyndi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow; 130pts
Noble - Greats Stag, Wild Rider, Murder of Spites, Helm of the Hunt; 207pts

Core:
10 Glade Guard; 120pts
10 Glade Guard; 120pts
8 Dryads; 96pts
8 Dryads; 96pts
8 Dryads; 96pts

Special:
5 Wild riders - Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner; 183pts
6 Wardancers - Champion, Musician; 129pts
4 Treekin; 260pts

Rare:
1 Great Eagle; 50pts
1 Treeman; 285pts
5 Waywatchers; 120pts

Have a few questions:
Since I have the noble on great stag leading my wild riders am I able to drop a wild rider and still keep the minimum 5 in the unit? if so I would most likely drop a wild rider and give my spellweaver another scroll.
I have never used treekin before, do you think 4 will be an effective unit with my spellweaver and lore of life, or should i try to go 6 and drop points from somewhere else?

The idea behind it is to be competetive against most any army on the field, I think I am definately weak on the magic side, hoping the scrolls can help me there. The Great Eagle is a warmachine hunter, treeman and treekin to lock units down, wardancers and wild riders to crash into flanks and rears, waywatchers to go after wizards or other important characters, although the wild riders may be used for that depending on the army im against. Glade guard for a little shooty action and screens and bait. Dryads basically the same without the shooty.

Let me know what you think and ways you might try to make it better, army is exactly 2250 points as is.

ashe
22-01-2012, 00:15
1)no you still need the min requirement of 5 wild riders.
2) Treekins are great unit but they are too expensive and buying second rank is pointless.
3) Don't forget the BSB dose not have a bow, and can't use bow. Asyndi's Bane works only for shots made with a bow
4) a mage can have only one arcane item(page 504 of the big book)

PS: You could drop the stag guy and get a highborn with:bow of loren, starfire arrows enchante, shield, light armor.He costs about as much as the noble on stag and with the combination of bow of loren and starfire arrows(if you figure out a way to save 35 points grab amaranthine brooch) you could force something nasty off the table with few shoots :D
Consider making a big GG 25 strong with full command and banner of eternal flame it costs only 334 points thats as much as the 2 small units and a unit of dryads and it will provide your armmy with a unit that can deal with regenerating foes like trolls. The other atvantage of a big unit is that you dont have to worry about lossing points to enemy shooting especialy when you have level 4 with lore of life

Rayd
22-01-2012, 11:53
Q. Is it legal to equip a Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer with a
magic bow if it cannot have a normal one? (p53)
A. Yes.

Thats off the GW FAQ Errata page, so I should be ok to equip the BSB with asyndi's bane enabling him to use the Hail of Doom Arrow.

I see in the rulebook where you can't have more than one of each type of unique magic item, so I'm gonna drop the scrolls and ranu's heartstone, and use either a wand of wych elm or divination orb, which do you think would work better?

I've considered using a Highborn equipped close to that, the only problem is I'd have to drop my Spellweaver, I feel I need the spellweaver with lore of life to make my treekin and treeman a formidable force though. I agree though, I'm not sure if the guy on the stag will be worth the points, will have to play him some and see, may end up dropping him for 2 spellsingers, or a noble to go with my wardancers at some point.

I'm not a big fan of big units in WE armies, the times I've seen them played they have never seems to have much luck. They seem to get shot up and can't handle charges well. I've seen people use blocks of GG and EG. I want to keep my army as mobile as I can, choose my engagements and multi-charge everything to eliminate rank bonuses.

Thanks for the input, I'll make some changes, maybe try a mock battle and repost what I come up with, anymore input is very welcome.

ashe
22-01-2012, 14:02
If you drop the horse and Glamourweave kindred you could fit both level 4 and a highborn with 199 points for items for both lords total, and since you have only one mage for magical defense getting an orb of divination might be a good idea
:)

thesheriff
22-01-2012, 14:06
I would like to point out, you are under minimum core (25% needed) and you also cant put multiple dispel scrolls in your army anymore.

thesheriff

Rayd
22-01-2012, 14:44
Lord:
Spellweaver - Level 4 Lore of Life, Glamourweave kindred, Wand of Wych Elm, Elven Steed; 343pts

Heroes:
Noble - BSB, Asyndi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow; 130pts
Noble - Greats Stag, Wild Rider, Dawnspear, Luckstone; 200pts

Core:
10 Glade Guard; 120pts
10 Glade Guard; 120pts
8 Dryads; 96pts
8 Dryads; 96pts
8 Dryads; 96pts
8 Dryads; 96pts

Special:
5 Wild riders - Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness; 173pts
6 Wardancers - Champion, Musician; 129pts
3 Treekin; 195pts

Rare:
1 Great Eagle; 50pts
1 Treeman; 285pts
5 Waywatchers; 120pts

Ok have a look, I dropped 1 treekin, added another unit of 8 dryads, took off the dispell scrolls and ranu's heartstone and replaced with a wand of wych elm, took out the helm of the hunt and replaced with dawnspear and added a luckstone, and then replaced the war banner for a banner of swftness. Sitting at 2249. Thanks for all the input, its been awhile since I built an army, so still relearning, thanks for catching all the stuff I was doing illegally to :). Anymore input would be appreciated. I feel it is turning into a solid army, have to play it to know for sure, but should give my oppenents trouble deciding what to go after, and I think I have the mobility and number of units to strike with more than one unit most of the time.

tmarichards
22-01-2012, 22:15
You've got way too many characters going into the Wild Riders, who are very very vulnerable.

I'd drop the champion on the War Dancers, they're already expensive enough without boosting the cost for not much gain.

Rayd
22-01-2012, 22:54
No problem dropping the champ, kinda been on the fence about that one to begin with anyway, but having trouble dropping the noble on great stag. For one thing the noble on great stag leading the Wild riders is very cool looking :). For another I feel like I would have issues with any big characters or monsters someone brings to the table. Was thinking with movement 10 I could at least dictate my first charge. I can drop the noble and champ, and add a lvl 1 spellsinger with dispell scroll and a lvl 1 branchwraith with cluster of radients and still have 9 points over for a cheapy magic item for one of my characters. Would love to hear more opinions on which is better, I have yet to even play an 8th edition game, so all your input is very valuable to me. Thanks