PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Magic Heavy VC List

stephen
22-01-2012, 19:33
Need some advice on whether this looks like a viable army.

Also, just working out how many zombies I need to paint - Does anyone know how big my 3 units are likely to get with my 3 wizards being near them all?

Master Necromancer, Lvl 4 (lore of vampires), Power Stone, 4+ Ward Amulet = 265
Necromancer Lvl 2 (lore of vampires), Dispel Scroll = 125
Necromancer Lvl 2 (lore of vampires), Scroll of Shielding = 115
Cairn Wraith = 60
Cairn Wraith = 60

40 Crypt Ghouls = 400
23 Zombies, standard bearer = 74
22 Zombies, standard bearer = 71
22 Zombies, standard bearer = 71
18 Crypt Horrors = 684
10 Hexwraiths = 300
Varghulf = 175

All the units are going to stay pretty close together, except the vargulf who'll be galloping everywhere. All 3 wizards are probably going to be in a zombie unit cowering behind the front line of ghouls and horrors

NitrosOkay
23-01-2012, 00:30
That's magic heavy? Looks pretty normal to me.

"Magic-heavy" would typically involve points into Master of the Black Arts and probably 4 wizards.

stephen
23-01-2012, 02:48
Yeah you're right... it's just a bit lacking in fighty characters i guess...

I'm thinking of lowering the horrors to 12 big and fitting in some other stuff, but wondering if i'll notice too big a shift in their usefulness by doing so??

Also, how viable would be replacing the lvl4 for a lvl2 so that i can fit in more units (maybe a vamp)??

Tokunator
23-01-2012, 07:41
Get rid of the Power Stone and get the Black Periapt. Having two extra casting dice is going to do lots to improve your average dice pool (as you have to be able to function even on a low roll for the Winds).

I'd drop the last Necromancer and the Wraiths to get one or two Vampires with Shadow Magic. More casters mean more chances of channeling. In addition, the Shadow Lore Attribute lets you switch places between the Vampires and the Necros to keep the squishier casters out of combat. Also, the Shadow Signature Spell is easy to cast and quite good for undead.

One Zombie unit should be held back to be the bunker in which you hide your general in. That way, he can't be singled out by magic and shooting.

A horde of Horrors is ok I guess, I just don't know what it does that can't be done cheaper (in points and cash) by 40 Grave Guard. If you wish to keep the horde theme, stay with 18, otherwise, drop them to 10 maximum. It will be difficult to get more than 5 models into base contact with anything that's not a horde and those should be handled by the ghouls or tarpitted by Zombies.

If I were you, I'd try to get in a Corpse Cart (and not as a character mount as it makes your Necros wear gigantic target signs) and park it behind the Ghouls the long way to get as many units as possible into 6 inches (ideally the ghouls and horrors). Getting a free undispellable ASF bubble rocks (ok, the spell that triggers it can be dispelled, but you should be able to push through an invocation with 3 casters).

And to finish, a shameless plug of my 2500 magic-heavy army: here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?330242-Updating-my-2500-points-Vampires-to-the-new-book-(input-wanted))

stephen
23-01-2012, 09:38
Have gone with ghouls over GG as the ghouls count towards my min core percentage, GG don't.. But anyway, I have changed the list considerably now to a more combat orientated feel.. still has a fair amount of magic though cause i want those zombie hordes big!

Strigoi Ghoul King, Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Strength, Red Fury = 390
Necromancer, Level 2 (lore of vampires), Dispel Scroll = 125
Necromancer, Level 2 (lore of vampires), Power Stone = 120
Necromancer, Level 2 (lore of vampires) = 100
Cairn Wraith = 60
Cairn Wraith = 60
Cairn Wraith = 60

40 Crypt Ghouls, crypt ghast = 410
21 Zombies, standard bearer = 68
12 Crypt Horrors, crypt haunter = 466
6 Hexwraiths = 180
Terrorgiest = 225

Only reason i haven't gone down to 10 horrors is cause i had a few points left and wanted to make sure they survived.. i'll probably run them in a 4x3 formation. Ghoul King will either be with the ghouls or in a zombie unit, depending how hordy the opponent is. As the list stands at the moment, my plan is to basically hunt down and destroy the opponents most valuable units, while tarpitting everything else with zombies & wraiths.

Tokunator
23-01-2012, 10:27
Running them as 4 times 3 costs you the attacks of 3 Horrors. Paying 114 points for +1 CR is kind of a waste.

I was refering to the Horrors, not the Ghouls, nothing is wrong with your Ghoul Horde.

stephen
23-01-2012, 20:03
I was more having the extra 4 horrors to give the unit 12 more wounds of survival.. means they can handle the grind of battle better... If i was to drop the unit down to 8 big, what would I replace them with? Maybe the corpse cart you were talking about before??

stephen
23-01-2012, 21:00
Rejigged the list again.. did some math-hammer and decided i def want the hordy horrors in there just for the sheer damage they can wreck.

Strigoi Ghoul King, Sword of Bloodshed, Potion of Strength, Red Fury = 390
Cairn Wraith = 60
Cairn Wraith = 60
Cairn Wraith = 60

40 Crypt Ghouls, crypt ghast = 410
20 Zombies, standard bearer = 65
18 Crypt Horrors = 456
Terrorgiest = 225

Leaves me with 16 points left... might drop a wraith to get a scroll back in, though not sure where i'd spend the remaining points