PDA

View Full Version : How are the counts doing so far?

valle
22-01-2012, 20:55
As the thread says... How have your vamps been doing with the new rules? Write points, opposition and result... The poll allows for multible answers, so you can put in all your results.

Edit: Ohh, and ill start ;) 3 wins 1 against OK and 2 against lizardmen although we never got to finish any of the games, the 2 against lizardmen was clear as day while the OK one could have ended in a draw I guess, but most likely a win.

Edit2: The Poll should allow for multiple choices but it dosnt, hmm, any ideas why?

redfury
22-01-2012, 22:26
My first few games took some getting used to but I had a two day at an independent shop and placed fourth. Difficult win against skaven, wouldn't have won if it hadn't been for fear, Slaughtered beastmen, no surprise there, Warriors seemed good at first but that didn't last, Tomb kings was a weird match up but I won, Lost to Ogres *grumble grumble*,orcs had their general miscast and detonate so their deathstar unit was done for in the second turn and was finally eliminated from the tournament by none other than another vampire count army. damn those hexwraiths.

Texhnolyze
22-01-2012, 22:31
My first battle ended with a me being wiped of the board :D It was a very small first round escalation campaign battle.

The dwarf had a runesmith 10 Dwarf warriors, and 3 Quarrelers left at the end ^^

Maoriboy007
22-01-2012, 22:46
Still to early to say really, defeated a fairly nasty Ogre army the oher night, but more because he was rolling badly than due to any super dooperness of the Vampire army. Of course hearing him complain about how "broken" this was and "that" was made me wan't to shove his rhinox riders up his @r$e :)

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 13:34
Won against a Dwarf army, 1500pts game.

Skeleton FearBomb, Invocation bubble and Nightshroud combined won the game.
Also Invocating the unit champion back over and over again to fight challenges

Dominatrix
23-01-2012, 13:40
A heart warming winning streak so far.:D Won against empire, daemons and ogres. It is too premature to draw conclusions as my opponents will become familiar with the new toys and compensate in their lists.

Rivet
23-01-2012, 14:23
So far I have played two 2500pt games and won both. One was against High Elves, the other was against Dwarves.

Steed
23-01-2012, 16:59
Although I'm still getting a feel for the new units and such, I had a double loss over the weekend. I noticed two glaring problems so far (granted, could totally be me playing them!):

1: With crumble, I was not able to effectively use a Hammer/Anvil still. Combat res was attained by killing the subpar units and all crumbled. For example: Big units of zombies with a flanking unit of Crypt Horrors. The damage created by hitting the zombies killed any other unit in combat with them...much like 7th edition did w/ multi-combat units. Steadfast was by far superior for the army I was playing against.

2: With only being able to cast IoN once a turn, my opponents saved all their scrolls and dice for that one spell. Sure I was able to cast everything else but in the end, when an army is built for bringing units back and is prevented from doing so (through dispels, horrible winds of magic, etc.) it really goes downhill fast when combat starts.

On a side note, I was extremely pleased with how the Mortis Engine played as well as Hexwraiths. I recommend both!

Grocklock
23-01-2012, 17:39
I still think it is too early to say how well the vamps will do, as its a new army people both using and playing are getting used to it, so its best to wait a while before we can truely see any results.

valle
23-01-2012, 17:58
Steed: Bring more casters mate... I would say at least 3 all with the sig spell

Rivet
23-01-2012, 18:12
Steed: Bring more casters mate... I would say at least 3 all with the sig spell

This is and should be a given with the new book. that way you can still cast it several times. Even if your main wizard is shut down from casting it you still should be able to get one other to be able to. As far as my wins went(mentioned above) the Coven Throne is for sure the MVP of my list builds. Put a Vampire hero on it with Quickblood and the talisman of preservation (you can do what you will with the rest of your points) First you are getting impact hits at Str 5 and then 8 ASF Strength 5 hits that most of the time will reroll misses. Followed by 2D6 Str 3 hits. This does not include any bonuses from any battle of wills results. However, there is next to no reason why you should not run one of these, or any reason it should not be in CC by turn two at the latest, so you are only having to worry about one, maybe two cannon ball shots but have a 4+ ward on both the throne and the vampire (with Talisman)

Skarsnik, the Lord
23-01-2012, 18:36
I have played two games with the new book, and I have two wins. Please note that we used ETC comps in our games.

The first game was against some Daemons, there was a Bloodthirster, a horde of Bloodletters with a Herald, a huge unit of Fiends... Some very scary stuff. I wanted to go with a magic heavy army, so I had a Vampire Lord with all those casting goodies, three Necromancers, a Corpse Cart, a Mortis Engine, core almost full of Zombies and two big units of Crypt Horrors. The plan went like I planned, so the Crypt Horrors advanced on the right side of the board and munched some Horrors with a Herald, meanwhile three big units of Zombies deployed three models wide held the other flank. Also, I got some points by killing some Flamers and Bloodletters (I got pretty lucky with the casting on that turn).

The second game was against some Skaven. It was a typical ETC Skaven army, so everything went to one corner, and Grey Seers and war machine blasted me while I had to deal with a Hell Pit and all those annoying biting units. This time I had a Lvl 4 combat Vampire Lord in a unit of 15 Black Knights, WIght King and a Necromancer. Then I had a big unit of Crypt Horrors and core almost full of Zombies. My Knights and Crypt Horrors ran towards the corner with full speed (Vanhel's helped a lot), meanwhile the Zombies killed some Giant Rats and other cheap stuff. Hell Pit crashed into the unit of Knights, and after three combat rounds everyone were dead except the Vampire Lord, who fortunately killed the Hell Pit. I was a bit frustrated that a one monster destroyed the huge unit by itself. :eyebrows: Anyway, I got to do some killing with the Crypt Horrors and the Vampire Lord, so it turned into a win for me.

Some things I learned from these two games... Because the core in our army is so bad and in ETC you can't have more than max. 40 models/unit, I think the Zombies will be the best one for me. 120 Zombies is lots of models, and it doesn't cost too much anyway (and something has to be in the core, right?). With a couple of IoN these units will be massive, and if you deploy them two or three models wide, most of the time the opponent doesn't even want to try to kill them to get some points. If the core can't do anything, its best bet is not to be destroyed. IoN is awesome spell, just awesome. Returning two Crypt Horrors and 5 Black Knights + some Zombies at once is huge. Also the other augments have been a big help. I prefer the combat Vampire Lord over the full casting one, at least now his attacks won't get wasted. Crypt Horrors are very tough, too.

Have you tried using Hexwraiths? I'd love to hear how they've worked.

Sorry for my bad English...

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Rivet
23-01-2012, 18:43
I use Hexwraiths and as of yet have not had the opportunity to use their special attack. That being said, the first game they were destroyed first turn by the lore of life direct damage spell. The second turn they did exceptionally well.

valle
23-01-2012, 18:52
Have you tried using Hexwraiths? I'd love to hear how they've worked.

Sorry for my bad English...

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Your English is fine mate... Yah, I have used 5 so far and I would say that they are well worth their points. In my last game against lizardmen for instance I used them to ride through his wall of skinks and then ride back again standing just 1" away from his skinks in turn 1 meaning that he was pretty handicapped with his movement. They can also hunt knights and other small elite units or lone monsters and however you get to use them your opponent will be ***** scared of them and put allot of focus into that 150p unit.

Rivet
23-01-2012, 19:16
Your English is fine mate... Yah, I have used 5 so far and I would say that they are well worth their points. In my last game against lizardmen for instance I used them to ride through his wall of skinks and then ride back again standing just 1" away from his skinks in turn 1 meaning that he was pretty handicapped with his movement. They can also hunt knights and other small elite units or lone monsters and however you get to use them your opponent will be ***** scared of them and put allot of focus into that 150p unit.
Agreed, as I said I lost my unit first turn but that meant that he was casting at them and not something else. Second turn he had no magical weapons so whatever they hit, they tarpitted.

piperrepip
28-01-2012, 07:12
i used them against a dark elf war hydra and oh my god was it effective =)

RealMikeBob
28-01-2012, 17:14
I've only managed to play one game with the new book so far, and it was a massacre in my favour. But then it was against another vampire army so I think that evens things out a bit :cool: