Full Command
Banner of the Barrows

Corpse Cart with balefire

3 Fell Bats

5 Black Knights
Barding, Lances
Full Command
War Banner

Main plan is Necromancer by himself hiding behind big skeleton unit and summoning beyond maximum with Invocation. Vampire BSB in Skeleton unit, spare vamp in Ghouls (which I like with T4 vs S5 Lances). Two Wight Kings in with Grave Guard for maximum about of damage with extra hand weapons and barrows banner.

Balefire on CC to count enemy magic (opponent rarely uses it though).

Fell bats to hit trebuchets

Black knights as a wildcard and to line up flank charges on knights bogged down by big units.

Anyone got any thoughts? I was thinking of buying some Vargheists instead of the Black Knights but i'm not sure at the moment. I suppose they could be pretty messy but killing blow with lances plus the ability to pin down a big unit of knights and them barely scratching me is appealing.

Thanks all ^__^

Tokunator
23-01-2012, 10:29
Vargheists are a letdown in my book, 46 points for a model with no armour and only T4 seems to be a waste.

Is the Book of Arkhan an Arcane Item? In that case, the Necro can't have it and the Periapt.

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 10:39
Crap! They are both Arcane items. That could have been embarassing! :S

I'll drop the book (as the periapt is awesome) and hope the dice come up with Vanhel's on 4 necromancer spelldice and 1 vampire spelldice .

Heroes limit is spot-on 500points so can't give it to a hero.

Oh well. The points on the book can be used to buy another bat (to make 2 individual units). Or more Grave Guard.

I understand your point about Vargheists :)

zielonkak
23-01-2012, 11:11
i like the GG with Gw when you run the corpse cart....allows them to have some pop with that strength 6

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 12:19
GG aren't modelled with Great Weapons so i'm loathed to use the "counts as" rule. Just a thing of mine I suppose.

Spare 25 points from the book will either be to change the bats into 2 seperate units and buy another grave guard model, or give my necromancer some other item for 25 points.

Or drop the giant bats to one unit and buy a unit of 20 zombies to hide my necromancer in away from the big trebuchet rocks.

DarKolia
23-01-2012, 12:48
Hi

Having played a 2500pts VC vs Bretonnian yesterday... I can speak with a little experience...
Prepare to face 2+ Armor Save knights...
Your list does not stand a chance ...
My opponent used a similar list (with a Terrorgheist) and I barely lost 1 knight (to the Terrorgheist) and 11 men at arms...
Two handed sword GG and Blood Knights are the only option I think...
Sincerely,

DarK
PS: you will pin nothing with Black knights... ten of them were destroyed in one round by my 9 grail knights...

zielonkak
23-01-2012, 12:51
i guess he could beef up his knights too and keep the unit full healed, maybe take one of the wights and put it in the knights too, spread out the killing blows

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 13:06
Hi

Having played a 2500pts VC vs Bretonnian yesterday... I can speak with a little experience...
Prepare to face 2+ Armor Save knights...
Your list does not stand a chance ...
My opponent used a similar list (with a Terrorgheist) and I barely lost 1 knight (to the Terrorgheist) and 11 men at arms...
Two handed sword GG and Blood Knights are the only option I think...
Sincerely,

DarK
PS: you will pin nothing with Black knights... ten of them were destroyed in one round by my 9 grail knights...

Thanks for your feedback :)

Knights aren't going to be used to pin down enemy units. In fact, they're hopefully not going to get charged at all if they are positioned correctly. They're going to be used to charge into the side of a knights unit which is bogged down by the huge core units i've got. There's no way my opponent can crush a unit of 40 skeletons (assuming Invocation works and the skeleton unit is boosted, not too much of a worry given the +4 casting bonus with Master Necromancer). The flank charge by my black knights will throw CR into my favour.

Wanted to ask a few questions about your game though.

Against an entire 2500point Vampire Counts army, you lost a single knight and 11 men at arms?

Is there any chance you could PM me the Vampire Counts/Bretonnian army list? Or at least your Bretonnian army list. I refuse to believe such a small casualty list is even possible unless the VC player whiffed his dice rolls totally or positioned his army terribly. I could compare this to my opponents normal list which usually depends on him breaking units with a knight charge and running the fleeing enemy down.

Did your opponent have no large units? Did fear affect none of your units? How many trebuchets did you have? Was magic even used in the game?

I'm just curious :)

Also, I refuse to purchase blood knights given the cost of 5 models (both in-game and real-world price) If it loses me games, so be it. At least i'll be 61 ish richer.

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 13:08
i guess he could beef up his knights too and keep the unit full healed, maybe take one of the wights and put it in the knights too, spread out the killing blows

No WK mounted model, but thanks for the advice :) I'm a bit iffy about taking a bigger unit of black knights - if they get charged, then thats it, game over for my big black knight unit. A smaller unit could either a) waste my opponents time with trebuchet shots or b) redirect a unit of knights towards them and then I move some infantry up to support.

Arctaeus
23-01-2012, 13:40
Army probably being re-done and changing to a full combat lord. Balls to spells, lol.