PDA

View Full Version : Would you be alright with this?

The Emperor
23-04-2006, 13:38
It's a bit roundabout, so let me start at the beginning.

When the new Codex came out, I decided that I was going to use the Traits system to represent some of the Reserve Companies in the Ultramarines, which is the army I'm collecting. So my plan is to collect the 2nd, 6th, 8th, and 9th Companies and treat them as different armies by the rules, by using Traits for the 6th, 8th and 9th Companies.

Of course, doing so would mean that, ruleswise, the Reserve Companies couldn't count as Ultramarines armies. So no Tyrannic War Veterans, Honor Guard, Marneus Calgar, Cassius, Tigurius, etc. Not a problem for me. I figure all those guys would rarely take to the field in support of a Reserve Company, anyway, instead fighting in the front line with the Battle Companies. It was also limiting in some other ways. For instance, I wouldn't be able to take Tactical Squads in my 8th Company armies, and would have to take Scouts to fill up my Troops requirement. Again, not a problem, since the whole point was to have a characterful army. If I wanted Tac Squads then I'd just play my 2nd Company force.

Anyway, while thinking about my 8th Company force, I had an idea. Namely, wouldn't it be neat to use the rules for Captain Shrike for my Captain? Of course, to do that, I would have to use the rules for the Raven Guard Chapter for the 8th Company force. So in essence, I'd be playing Raven Guard with Ultramarine colors (Just without Tactical or Devastator Squads, because as I said, I'd be looking to recreate the 8th Company).

So there's my question. Would any of you folks have a problem with that?

Incidentally, my Captain Shrike stand-in is going to be one of the classic Heresy Mk V Armor Space Marines (the one without the arms) with an old-style jump pack, one of the studded shoulder pads from the new Tactical Squad boxed set, and the lightning claws from the new Veteran models.

Von Bek
23-04-2006, 14:15
I personally wouldn't mind-I think its a good idea. Might have problems in a tournament depending on how anal the organizer is.

Skippy
23-04-2006, 14:36
I'd have absolutely no problems with it.

my_name_is_tudor
23-04-2006, 14:41
Why on earth would you take shrike as the leader of an ultramarines army? He's so un-ultramarines it hurts.

UM, the most codex-adherent chapter ever, already have their codex-breaking unit, the Honour Guard.

TK421
23-04-2006, 14:43
Go for it, I think it's an awesome idea. Just be sure to let your opponent know that it's Shrike and you're good to go. :)

The Black Knight
23-04-2006, 18:12
id let you use it. As long as i know what everything is im happy :)

ML Kurze
23-04-2006, 18:20
Sounds good and cool to me.

Sybaronde
23-04-2006, 18:32
Hey, I played with Alpha Legion rules on my ultramarine colored chaos marines. :D People kind of sniggered at the joke and accepted it quite easily. I think it's more of a borderline issue of some Ork player wishes to use his old Postman Pat toycar as a looted Leman Russ.

Hlokk
23-04-2006, 18:33
Anyway, while thinking about my 8th Company force, I had an idea. Namely, wouldn't it be neat to use the rules for Captain Shrike for my Captain?

yes it would be cool. Personally, I think this makes a lot of sence because:
a: the head of the 8th company would be a close combat nutter
b: shrikes wing rules would make sence because he's oviously going to have his own command squad.

yes, an incredibly anal person will indicate that your taking liberties with the rules, but if they do that, are they really worth playing (alternatively, you could say their a ravenguard sucessor chapter)

Tell they if they won't let you, Hlokk will send a fat chick round to sit on them.

squigsnok
23-04-2006, 19:07
...some Ork player wishes to use his old Postman Pat toycar as a looted Leman Russ.

Hey that was one time, and its red, ok!

... Oh, you probly weren't talking about me.

Anyway... I'd let you use shrike, But you wouldnt get away with it in any GW organised events like the GT, just so you know.

To be honest, I'd rather use a tooled up chaplain than Shrike myself, he's a bit pricey points-wise for what he does. That, and i prefer chaplains in general. But then I use DA's so what the hey...

MacB
23-04-2006, 19:10
Would any of you folks have a problem with that?
No, not at all. Go for it!

@my_name_is_tudor: I think you didn't get the point. He's not going to take Shrike himself; he's just using Shrike's rules, which IMHO is a perfect fit for the leader of an assault company.

my_name_is_tudor
23-04-2006, 19:11
I get the point perfectly, I just think Shrike and his wing are bad rules for the leader of an assault company, especially a UM company.

Good rules for the leader of an assault company for UM would be a jump pack, and maybe lightning claws.

As I have already said, why would one company commander get away with a breach of codex as big as a unit like Shrike's wing?

darknar
23-04-2006, 20:16
your would not be able to use that list in a tornement anyway, usually you cant use special characters

(once at a tornement)
i played this little git who tryed to take shrike against me once. i reconised it at one (infeltrating scouting assalt marnes is not hard to miss) i called over a offical and he proptly declared me a winner. this kid had one 2 games beforehand so i was quite chuffed that i halted this vile being's evil doings :)

everybody keep an eye out for those little gits and take a copy of every codex available so you can look up thses things yuourself when you find out who ou are playing

Puffin Magician
23-04-2006, 20:31
I've fiddled with the representation of Reserve Companies and playing with traits is better than substituting known Chapters for "codex" ones. The only difference between a standard, Traited, no-questions-asked 8th Co. and a "Ravenmarine" 8th Co. is that you get Shrike and an assload of Infiltrating Lightning Claw attacks. That sounds less like a characterful army and more about insane combat charges to me.

Take the Fight to Them + Rhino = Jump Pack-less Assault Squads
Blessed be the Warriors = Assault Squads galore, or
Be Swift as the Wind = Bike Squads galore.

That is how to represent an 8th Comapny, IMHO.

my_name_is_tudor
23-04-2006, 20:49
What Puffin said.

Overlord Krycis
23-04-2006, 20:50
So there's my question. Would any of you folks have a problem with that?

I would have absolutely no problem with that...would be quite interesting to play against it actually.:D

ZAChos
23-04-2006, 20:54
I would play against you but would prefer you to do what puffin suggested (I was gonna suggest it aftually but the magical bird beat me to it).

Ironhand
23-04-2006, 21:26
I think Puffin's suggestion is a better idea. I'm not a fan of special characters in any case.

cav da man
23-04-2006, 21:40
as long as its clear and no real advantage over everything can be got out of it then only the most anal of geeks will throw a wobbler at it

The Emperor
24-04-2006, 01:12
Thanks for the replies.

At the moment, I'm looking at using this guy, with the following bits, as my Shrike stand-in.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/233373/1880230AssaultCaptain.JPG

Also gonna use the studded shoulder pad from the Tactical Squad boxed set and one of the Captain shoulder pads from the Commander boxed set.

As for why Shrike, simple. He has a Command Squad. If it were up to me, you'd be able to put a Command Squad on bikes or give them Jetbikes depending on Traits chosen, but it's not up to me, soooo...

Puffin Magician
24-04-2006, 01:24
Being a Reserve Company I wouldn't expect the whole command group to be zipping around in backpack rocketboosters. Surely the alternatives of:

• A loner Captain w/ Jump Pack and a Chaplain/Libby having the Command Squad in a Rhino/Razorback, or
• Captain + Command Squad in a Rhino/Razorback

are suitable for an 8th Company headquarters section that can be represented with Codex lists?

You have a spare MkV laying around and you're going to ruin him with Lightning Claws? :(

The Emperor
24-04-2006, 04:34
It makes no sense for every singly member of the Company to have jump packs with the exception of the Captain and his Command Squad, IMO.

Sybaronde
24-04-2006, 09:55
It generally doesn't have to. It's 40k.

Ivan Stupidor
24-04-2006, 16:39
Hey, I played with Alpha Legion rules on my ultramarine colored chaos marines. :D

Hey! Stop reading my mind!

(I've had that idea bouncing around in my head for a few years now, but never had the time or money to pull it off. I'd still like to do it some day, though.)

Lame Duck
24-04-2006, 16:43
If thats what u want, go for it. Just tell your opponent in advance.