PDA

View Full Version : Low count/non-mech army?

Delicious Ron
24-01-2012, 21:50
Last few years I have been focused on fantasy and taking a dip in Epic, but sometimes I get nostalgic and wanna head back into 40k, but the increasing size of the armies and prevalence of mech has hold me back. Is there an army that can function with a low model count and no mech? A or two tank is cool but I don't like being dependant on transports.

mdeceiver79
24-01-2012, 22:16
Grey knights, dark angels, BA and necrons let you keep models down to my knowledge.

TheMav80
24-01-2012, 22:32
Blood Angels all jumpers. It is about 50 or so marine bodies, depending on what you take and the points value you are playing at. You can add some Devastators to it to make the list slightly more competitive.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
24-01-2012, 22:47
Draigo Wing is an obvious choice:

Grey Knights Codex.

Kaldor Draigo.

15 Paladins.

2 Dreadknights or 2 Dreadnoughts.

This brings you to about 1750pts.

Hope this helps.

GrimZAG
24-01-2012, 22:47
There are good lists that can be made without reliance on tanks/transports as suggested above but for most armies, in 5th Edition 40k, having transports is really the way to go.

TheDoctor
24-01-2012, 22:56
Dark Angels Deathwing or Deathwing+Ravenwing.

Kill ALL the transports.

Chem-Dog
24-01-2012, 22:57
Blood Angels all jumpers. It is about 50 or so marine bodies, depending on what you take and the points value you are playing at.

I see you that army and raise you a Dante Gold-Wing army, Dante, Sanguinor (brutal tag-team) backed up with squads of Sanguinary Guard, those two Heroes and a couple of SG squads (12 models) and you've already chewed through 1K of points.

OP, can I ask why you're looking for low Model Count? Is it a cost issue or a painting issue? Or both?

Because, to be honest, most armies can put out a fairly low count build or two, IG can, theoretically, take to the field with no more than 25 men and a column of tanks, Daemons and Tyranids can skimp on little-un's and buy mainly big things radically cutting down on the actual number of models (if not the associated costs) Orks can bring a stupidly small number of actual models to the table if they so desire (2 Meks, 2 Deff Dreads---Obligatory FOC filled) and the list goes on.

Point is, if it's an issue of painting, just pick the army you like the look of most and find a low count build with them. If it's a cost issue, low count may not be the saviour you were hoping for it to be.

Delicious Ron
24-01-2012, 23:19
OP, can I ask why you're looking for low Model Count? Is it a cost issue or a painting issue? Or both?

Neither actually, it's just bothersome to move units individually when you have big armies, last time I played with my guard I had 100+ models in a 1000 point list! In fact I love horde armies, it just doesn't work in 40k for me, unless you made a movement tray for 40k?

Dark Angels Deathwing or Deathwing+Ravenwing.

Aren't Deathwing armies reliant on Land raiders as transports?

Should have mentioned no Grey knights and certainly no Draigo! :p

Blood Angels all jumpers

This sounds kinda cool!

druchii
24-01-2012, 23:58
Demons and 'Nids have no vehicles.

My 2000pt demon army consists of...29 models and 0 tanks.

You can easily make a 'Nid army that has ~30-40 models.

Footslogging necrons are actually pretty great, and can get away with minimal vehicles (lots of gauss to deal with other vehicles, maybe a command barge and a stalker or two).

Deathwing, the most competitive type, is actually just full on TH/SS terminators with cyclones and Belial.

Those are the top four, lower model count armies with no vehicles I can think. I mean ones you'll actually have fun playing and be fairly competitive with.

d

Charistoph
25-01-2012, 00:10
If you want to be a little daring, another option would be the Dark Eldar's Baron making Hellions Troops, backed up by jet bikers and Fighters. It's not nearly as resilient as Blood Angels would be, but far fewer model count than most non-Marine armies can put out and keep up with speed.

Kevlar
25-01-2012, 00:11
Just about any army can do it with a biker or terminator list.

"Mech" armies don't really mean tanks though. Just a lot of troops in transports. Rhinos are fairly good value for the points. Or you just don't want to fork out $33 per rhino?

Chem-Dog
25-01-2012, 00:43
Neither actually, it's just bothersome to move units individually when you have big armies, last time I played with my guard I had 100+ models in a 1000 point list! In fact I love horde armies, it just doesn't work in 40k for me, unless you made a movement tray for 40k?

Ah, I forgot lazy :p

Movement trays aren't normally done in 40K just because they tend to bunch units up in blast/template friendly ways but it can be done.
Either invest in a whole ton of these (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440151a&prodId=prod1860245) like I am or, if your putting together an army that consists of large units, consider plonking multiple models on 40mm or 60mm bases (or, if you're feeling really adventurous, the new "oval" base) I reckon 2X1 wound standard infantry types on a 40mm and 5 on a 60mm would be about right with the oval accommodating upto 10. Just make sure that for every unit you do this to you have at least enough individual models to allow for casualties to be represented.

Would be a cool way to run huge Tyranid swarms, for example. The 60mm's could have all kinds of scenic terrain on them for effect and the Ovals could be mini vignettes in and of themselves.....Been wanting to do this since the first time I saw somebody placing his "Endless swarm" Apocalypse formation on the table.

TheMav80
25-01-2012, 02:44
You could also do Space Wolf LoganWing. The model count could be higher than you might want.

You take Logan as an HQ and Wolf Guard as troops. Mostly power armoured with some Terminators mixed into the Wolf Guard squad to carry your Cyclones for tank busting. These squads footslog it, then you can add in a variety of things to taste. Thunderwolves, Dreads, Speeders, Wolf Scouts, Long Fangs.

IcedAnimals
25-01-2012, 04:26
Necrons wraith-wing works pretty well. You take Imotekh and 2-3 units of 6 wraiths. Then you can take some footslogging immortals and a monolith to teleport them around. I personally love putting imotekh in a group of 10 gauss immortals so they have relentless. Depending on point value you range from 30-50 models making up 5-8 squads. If you don't like the monolith you can use a veil of darkness instead so you have no vehicles.

TheDoctor
25-01-2012, 06:10
Nope, I play footslogging deathwing, and it works really well. My thought process- why take land raiders when you could be taking more terminators.
(Plus, they've been boosted a lot by the FAQ)

If you are interested:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?153695-Tactica-Deathwing-5th-Edition

Gen.Steiner
25-01-2012, 11:04
Deathwing would be my choice. You can run a really dangerous army with fantastic survivability and brilliant anti-tank capabilities that can smash pretty much any other army going. Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts are optional - you can perform very well indeed without them.

The Death of Reason
25-01-2012, 11:57
Also consider Tau suits :)

But jumpin' angels is where I'd put my money. Jumping DC, Sanguinary Guards perhaps a Storm Raven and a few squads of sniper scouts to hang out in the back, this should give plenty of model variety, while being elite :)

thorgrim
25-01-2012, 17:47
The Logan wing is probably the way to go for low model counts. With Logan as the HQ and another 3 HQ slots to be filled (the wolves heroic nature gives them double the HQ's for the FOC). The Wolves also have numerous Special Characters for around 200 points. If you went this way I'd suggest Njal in his terminator armour as a useful addition and if you added Bjorn you could easily rack up 800 - 900 points in just 4 models.

igwarlord
25-01-2012, 21:49
I play Jump angels and my entire army fits into a 18" X 12" X 5" box with a razor back and a landraider sitting on top. Its also a very competitive army if you play at least a little bit smart.

wilsongrahams
25-01-2012, 21:55
Just going to throw in a surprising option and say Orks Nob Army. You'll need two warbosses, two meganob mobs, three nobs mobs and some flash gitz. Then a couple battlewagons and maybe some trukks to round it off thouh you can have a foot slogging force too. The points costs of nobs can get pretty steep, and with the variety of upgrades etc you can play the wound-allocation game and have a whole unit on a wound each and still have then fight at full strength - naughty but some like it.

logan054
25-01-2012, 22:46

Grey Knights Codex.

Kaldor Draigo.

15 Paladins.

2 Dreadknights or 2 Dreadnoughts.

This brings you to about 1750pts.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure you can do smaller than that, 1 man squads, maybe another dread knight, another character, slapp in some venerables dreads, sorted, maybe another GM so you make your dread knights scoring :D

Beppo1234
26-01-2012, 03:32
The LOTR trays are perfect for guard squads with a heavy weapon team. I also have old armorcast ones i got off of ebay, and they are great. For larger armies, I've considered doing the different sized bases, with 3 troops on a 60mm base, 2 on a 40, and 5 based normally.

TheDoctor
26-01-2012, 03:57
The Logan wing is probably the way to go for low model counts. With Logan as the HQ and another 3 HQ slots to be filled (the wolves heroic nature gives them double the HQ's for the FOC). The Wolves also have numerous Special Characters for around 200 points. If you went this way I'd suggest Njal in his terminator armour as a useful addition and if you added Bjorn you could easily rack up 800 - 900 points in just 4 models.

I think he wants an army that can actually win games... :)