PDA

View Full Version : 3000pt lizards tourney advice needed

MOMUS
25-01-2012, 10:24
Ok so i have a 3000pt tourney starting in a few days, i hvae been playing with the following list and have been doing pretty well with it so far.

Slann (life)
C. hands
+1power die
loremaster
Banehead
BSB - Terror banner

Priest
D.scroll

Priest
Cube of darkness
EotG

30 skinks
2 krox
command

30 skinks
2 krox
command

2X10 Skink skirmishers

10 skinks
1 Jungle swarm

10 chameleon skinks
2X5 chameleon skinks

3 Terradons

27 temple guard
command
flame banner
Potion of speed on champ

1 salamander, 1 extra handler
2 salamander, 3 extra handler
2 salamander, 3 extra handler

Im looking to tweak it to the following, basically i have got rid of the terror banner (was just for fun) and added in cogitation and put a plain priest on the engine, so i dont lose the cube if a cannon balls squishes him. I suppose im looking for if there is any more tweaks i could do? I wouldnt mind putting the relic sword or tormentor sword on the TG champ and that would mean dropping 1 or 2 skinks, what you think?

Slann (life)
C. hands
+1power die
Loremaster
Cogitation
Banehead
BSB

Priest
D.scroll

Priest
Cube of darkness

Priest
EotG

30 skinks
2 krox
command

29 skinks
2 krox
command

2X10 Skink skirmishers

10 skinks
1 Jungle swarm

10 chameleon skinks
2X5 chameleon skinks

3 Terradons

26 temple guard
command
flame banner
Potion of speed on champ

1 salamander, 1 extra handler
2 salamander, 2 extra handler
2 salamander, 2 extra handler

BertusB
25-01-2012, 10:49
Well, I'd drop the two scroll priests, get the thing on your Slann that ignores the enemy casting rolls of 6's within 24", and beef up those Skrox units. 30 skinks won't cut it (T2 with 6+/6++ = very squishy indeed) and at least 3 kroxigors per unit to pack some punch. Maybe drop 1 salamander too. 2 times 2 is good, 5 is just a bit too much I think. I presume that one unit of 10 skinks and that Jungle swarm are there to fill up your core? Drop them and add more numbers to the Skrox unit. And since you have Lore of Life, you might even consider dropping a few Temple Guard too. 25 should suffice. Get a 4th Terradon with the points. Looks like a cool list to use apart from that. But really try and get those two Skrox units filled to the brim with models. Try to go 38+ skinks per unit (with the 3 kroxigor base size, should give you at least 4 ranks in horde). Maybe try and get that 5th rank in there. Skinks are cheap. Try and protect one TG flank with the Stegadon, and the other one with some impassable terrain, and you should be good to go!
Good luck in the tournament!

Oh, and get the +1 Ld banner on your Slann, it's awesome...

MOMUS
25-01-2012, 13:20
Well, I'd drop the two scroll priests, get the thing on your Slann that ignores the enemy casting rolls of 6's within 24", and beef up those Skrox units. 30 skinks won't cut it (T2 with 6+/6++ = very squishy indeed) and at least 3 kroxigors per unit to pack some punch. Maybe drop 1 salamander too. 2 times 2 is good, 5 is just a bit too much I think. I presume that one unit of 10 skinks and that Jungle swarm are there to fill up your core? Drop them and add more numbers to the Skrox unit. And since you have Lore of Life, you might even consider dropping a few Temple Guard too. 25 should suffice. Get a 4th Terradon with the points. Looks like a cool list to use apart from that. But really try and get those two Skrox units filled to the brim with models. Try to go 38+ skinks per unit (with the 3 kroxigor base size, should give you at least 4 ranks in horde). Maybe try and get that 5th rank in there. Skinks are cheap. Try and protect one TG flank with the Stegadon, and the other one with some impassable terrain, and you should be good to go!
Good luck in the tournament!

Oh, and get the +1 Ld banner on your Slann, it's awesome...

Thanks for the feedback, Bertus.
Its the second list that im thinking of taking, so i already have cogitation, the ten skinks and swarm are redirectors and i now only have 26 TG.
Why not the scroll priests? It gives me awsome magic defense (esp with cogitation) and i means i am likely to get some good heavens spells, which helps in the one area where my army lacks- magic attacks

I am toying with a list that will have beefy skrox units, but i will need to get some more krox models.

BertusB
25-01-2012, 17:36
Not the scroll priests because if you play it correctly, that lvl 2 enemy mage will die to your Bane Head / Cupped Hands combo, and the lvl 4 enemy mage will be inside of 24" when he casts that big dangerous spell. Since he has to discard ALL of his 6's, it'll be a walk in the park for your Slann to dispell it. Just pick the spells you want to dispell carefully, and you should be fine. Then, those priests with the scrolls become useless, and you should use the points somewhere else. And with the base size of the Slann with lore of Life backing it up, you could even go to 21 TG and still have plenty. Just play a couple of games, and see which units will end the game with (too much) models left over (my guess is the TG and Salamanders), and which units got decimated before you had the chance to revive their numbers (the Skrox and maybe the Terradons I'd guess). And then adjust the composition accordingly. Thankfully, Warhammer is a game best learned on the tabletop, so why are you reading this forum in the first place! Go play! Right now! :p And good luck

MOMUS
25-01-2012, 17:56
Cheers Bertus,
Im not sure if the slann alone is enough magic defense, but thats probably my meta. I think the tourney may prove you right, just the scroll priest could give me 9 more skinks on each unit but im not sure whether to change such a long standing part of my list this close to the event (i hand in my list tomorrow).
I think the terradons are fine as three their job is to drop rocks on the thing that will cause most panic turn one and then harrass, charge feeling units, snipe lone heroes or make units bounce flee over them.
Heres my battle report log: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?310368-From-40k-to-fantasy-Learning-Lizardmen

tmarichards
25-01-2012, 19:23
You appear to be missing the obligatory pair of mounted Scar Vets :p

MOMUS
25-01-2012, 20:47
Im working on them :p http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?331109-Green-stuff-and-lizardmen-conversion-questions

I have been pondering including them, i get the idea that they can be very hard to kill with the right loadout (YOUSHALLNOTPASS!) But wouldnt they just lose to combat res? One could have the stubborn crown + stuff so hes hard to kill and always is on 3D6 Ld8. But wouldnt the other one just draw at best against an average unit, +1banner+3ranks VS the scarvets 4 attacks. Thats assuming he kills 4.
Im not seeing the item loadouts.

mrcleverpete
27-01-2012, 00:04
the skins are weak replace with a unit of Sw and add two scar vet on cold one with a dawnstone.

zielonkak
27-01-2012, 13:55
the vets are there for support, not to take on units alone...im not a big fan of terradons, you could replace them with a single scarvet on cold one and use that stubborn crown. i also think that you could afford to drop one sallie, 4 is a lot and should do enough damage.

MOMUS
27-01-2012, 14:46
I hear what you are saying Zielonkak, i think i would rather drop a small unit of camo skinks rather than the terradons. I prefer the terradons flexible movement over the chameleons sneaky deployment. If the terradons still had two riders each i would probably take a second unit of three.
I have already sent in a list, after the tourney i will probably drop the lone sallie, a small unit of camo skinks and one if not both the priests on foot in exchange for the scarvets.

Depending on how the tournament goes i may start experimenting with an all skirmisher list.

So far i know that there are quite a even spread of armies, apart from ogres. There is a few of them. :frown:

zielonkak
27-01-2012, 21:25
i would consider adding more camos before dropping some...they are the best unit in the army book in my opinion.

tmarichards
27-01-2012, 21:41
Depending on how the tournament goes i may start experimenting with an all skirmisher list.

Do it! That's what mine is going to be :)