PDA

View Full Version : Foot character charging out of unit with swiftstride banner

Harwammer
25-01-2012, 18:04
Would a character on foot charging out of unit carrying the swiftstride* banner be able to use the banner's effect?

I guess he would as the charge is rolled before he leaves the unit, but it seems a little cheeky.

*EDIT: erm by swiftstride banner I meant the following banners: reroll charge distance, strider and +1 movement banners. Would a character charging out of a unit holding one of these banners get the benefit?

Lord Inquisitor
25-01-2012, 18:14
Which swiftstride banner? :eyebrows:

In general though, your question is "at what point does a character cease to be part of the unit when he charges out of it?" Since Stand and Shoot reactions are made against the character and not his unit, the answer seems to be "at the moment of charge declaration". Since charge distances are rolled after that, no, the character rolls on his own merits.

Harwammer
25-01-2012, 21:25
Seems fair enough.

And I did ninja my post when I realised I got the title wrong (sadly can't edit thread titles... I think!).

Mr. Shine
27-01-2012, 06:34
Q: If a unit containing one or more characters has had its
Movement Allowance altered, will this affect a character leaving
the unit, including if he tries to charge out of it? (p101)
A: Yes, but for that move only.

You may or may not be able to take that as a precedent on the non-movement-altering banners.

Jim
27-01-2012, 09:15
I would lean towards the FAQ answer quoted above allowing the character to benefit from the 'movement' type banners for that charge.

Jim

Mr. Shine
27-01-2012, 09:48
I would lean towards the FAQ answer quoted above allowing the character to benefit from the 'movement' type banners for that charge.

Jim

Certainly makes sense to me!

Mid'ean
27-01-2012, 12:01
I wouldn't. He was affected by a spell that hit the whole unit including him so he is also affected. He declares a charge (still has the effect of the spell per FAQ) so leaves the unit that has the banner in it. He is no longer part of that unit so does not get any bonuses from the banner.

Mr. Shine
27-01-2012, 17:10
I wouldn't. He was affected by a spell that hit the whole unit including him so he is also affected. He declares a charge (still has the effect of the spell per FAQ) so leaves the unit that has the banner in it. He is no longer part of that unit so does not get any bonuses from the banner.

If the precedent is that he gains a Movement bonus for that charge, I fail to see how it makes sense that he wouldn't have any other movement-related bonuses that are endowed in a similar manner for the purposes of that charge only.

Lord Inquisitor
27-01-2012, 20:08
Heh, I went looking for a FAQ and I completely missed that. I was assuming it was a 7th ed hangover.

I agree, that FAQ clearly states that you will retain any penalties applied to the unit so it stands to reason you'll retain any bonuses too. You get the +1M or re-roll charge or whatever for any characters charging out of the unit.