PDA

View Full Version : Question about Blood Knights packaging

Night Bearer
25-01-2012, 20:04
Does the VC Blood Knights set have options to make 5 BK without command?

Back when they were metal, IIRC, you could buy individual BK models as direct order models. But now that they're Finecast, the website doesn't seem to have the option for individual models and I'm curious what options (if any) there are in the box set for building them without command models.

Thanks.

Skywave
25-01-2012, 20:56
Unfortunatly no. You have only 2 knights with lance in the box, the 3 others are stuck as command unless you convert them.

Knifeparty
25-01-2012, 21:22
This is true, However fortunately (or unfortunately however you look at it) finecast has given you the option of getting more Blood Knights for your buck.

I recently decided to make a unit of 12 blood knights, I bought 2 boxes to start with and guess what...half the knights were improperly cast. 2 boxes of 5 knights successfully made 4.5 knights! Good thing GW is good at replacing your messed up finecast stuff. Its taken 4 boxes of knights to make 12, and yes there is still alot of issues with bubbles, moulding and puttying etc.

So I recieved alot of extra bits and now I have enough lances to go around, so my suggestion would be to go ahead and buy that box, because you'll probably need a second just to get enough bits for 5 knights anyway.

At $118 per box, I expect nothing but the best, and If GW has to give me a hundred boxes to make my unit then so be it.

sulla
25-01-2012, 21:54
This is true, However fortunately (or unfortunately however you look at it) finecast has given you the option of getting more Blood Knights for your buck.

I recently decided to make a unit of 12 blood knights, I bought 2 boxes to start with and guess what...half the knights were improperly cast. 2 boxes of 5 knights successfully made 4.5 knights! Good thing GW is good at replacing your messed up finecast stuff. Its taken 4 boxes of knights to make 12, and yes there is still alot of issues with bubbles, moulding and puttying etc.

So I recieved alot of extra bits and now I have enough lances to go around, so my suggestion would be to go ahead and buy that box, because you'll probably need a second just to get enough bits for 5 knights anyway.

At $118 per box, I expect nothing but the best, and If GW has to give me a hundred boxes to make my unit then so be it.You kept the packaging though, right? Surely at that price, the box is made of Platinum?

Night Bearer
26-01-2012, 12:32
Thanks for the info all!

Was kinda hoping to see a plastic BK kit with this release, but maybe sometime down the road.

huitzilopochtli
26-01-2012, 13:16
Just to add, a lot of people seem to be making blood knights out of high elf dragon princes. They look pretty good, too. Here's a link, they're about 2min 50sec in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBuzTbOndw

IcedCrow
26-01-2012, 13:48
Blood knights can be any knight painted pale and put blood around their mouth. Add some skulls. Profit.

The cost of those models is beyond obscene.

Okuto
26-01-2012, 23:03
You....aren't serious about buying a box of blood knights are you?......

Their price is the biggest slap in the face I've ever seen.......GW's always been pricy but the Blood knights take it to an extreme.......

defunct
26-01-2012, 23:28
I have two sets plus a few blisters, and would gladly acquire more should I come to need.
Gorgeous models with juicy components.

It remains to be seen if need more, once I get a few games under my belt with the new book. :D

The price is not really a problem for me as I like the models so much, but the lack of lances in the set is definitely one of the cons of the set.

Rosstifer
26-01-2012, 23:40
I managed to pick up some cheap second hand, which is just as well, as they'll set you back a 100 GBP if you buy them brand new in New Zealand. I wish I was kidding.

Symrivven
26-01-2012, 23:40
A good alternative are the gamezone mournfull knights (http://gamezoneminiatures.de/vampire.html?___store=gamezone_english&___from_store=gamezone_german). Beautiful dynamic metal models with GW's ridiculous prized Blood knights they are even the cheaper option.
For those that want wisiwig lances, they are easily made from the skeleton spears and some green putty.

colonel kane trine
26-01-2012, 23:58
I like the models but at that price id rather convert up my own!

SotF
27-01-2012, 01:38
I keep planning on getting the LotR Morgul Knights and using that. It's 6 Morgul Knights for $33 while the Blood Knights are 5 for $99...and the Morgul Knights, while having the bits for a command group, also has the parts to make them all rank and file members of the unit.

Of course, I'm going to need to buy some cavalry bases as well, but that's still not a ton added to the cost.

Okuto
27-01-2012, 03:45
I have two sets plus a few blisters, and would gladly acquire more should I come to need.
Gorgeous models with juicy components.

It remains to be seen if need more, once I get a few games under my belt with the new book. :D

The price is not really a problem for me as I like the models so much, but the lack of lances in the set is definitely one of the cons of the set.

You sir must indeed have money to burn then...lol

lisaundead
27-01-2012, 09:10
The cost of purchasing a box of GW Blood Knights is a little painful....I remember the anguish on my face as I handed over the cash in my local store - they basically had to prise my fingers apart to remove the cash.....HOWEVER.....it was worth every penny!
The Finecast Blood Knight models are simply stunning, in fact TOO stunning and I was terriefied to put brush to them!
So I gave them to a good friend of mine who is a genius with a paint brush and he has done a wonderful job with them...a fitting centrepiece to a Vampire Counts army.

But, still, the price....OUCH!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-01-2012, 09:35
I keep planning on getting the LotR Morgul Knights and using that. It's 6 Morgul Knights for $33 while the Blood Knights are 5 for $99...and the Morgul Knights, while having the bits for a command group, also has the parts to make them all rank and file members of the unit.

Of course, I'm going to need to buy some cavalry bases as well, but that's still not a ton added to the cost.

Only trouble is that the Morgul Knights are quite a bit smaller, both in scale and actual size. They're very nice sculpts but I'm not sure they'll look the part.

Harwammer
27-01-2012, 13:49
Last time I looked (yesterday?) Gifts for Geeks still had stock of individual Blood Knight models.

AlphariusOmegon20
27-01-2012, 15:54
Another plastic route is taking the Zombie Dragon rider and shaving the inside of his legs slightly so he fits on a Chaos Knight Skull Faced Warhorse. Using the music instrument and banner from Dragon Princes to convert 2 of the riders will give you part of your command, using the ZD sword instead of the lance will give you your champion.

Check on eBay for the parts.

Eddie Chaos
27-01-2012, 16:47
5 Blood Knights cost the same as a starter set (the starter set has 70+ minis including a monster)

No GW I will not be buying Blood knights

I would convert Knights of the realm if I were you.

Symrivven
27-01-2012, 17:08
5 Blood Knights cost the same as a starter set (the starter set has 70+ minis including a monster)

Ouch, that comparison really drives the message home, I wonder if GW has anything meaningful to say about that.

SotF
27-01-2012, 17:50
Only trouble is that the Morgul Knights are quite a bit smaller, both in scale and actual size. They're very nice sculpts but I'm not sure they'll look the part.

My army is currently primarily Mantic with some Reaper and Old Glory thrown in save for named characters which are GW's currently (Vlad, Isabella, Krell, and Kemmler) so they may fit better. I've seen other people use them and they fit the part pretty well with the right paint job. And at the same time you have the price issue where you can field 36 of them for essentially the same price as you could 10 of the Blood Knights and then you're forced to either go with 2 units or heavily convert several of them.

biggreengribbly
28-01-2012, 00:25
Ouch, that comparison really drives the message home, I wonder if GW has anything meaningful to say about that.

"We make the highest quality miniatures in the world, and price them accordingly, u mad?" :angel:

Tae
28-01-2012, 01:08

Buy MOAR! :rolleyes: