PDA

View Full Version : No Vehicle 1k Sons or Deathguard Armies Possiable?

Lamont Cranston
25-01-2012, 20:26
Hey,

I was just wondering if in the modern version of 40k is it possiable to do a no vehicle 1,750 pt competitive 1k Sons or Deathguard army? On a differnet note, how many actual marines / terminators figures am I looking at for 1,750?

TheConverter15
25-01-2012, 20:39
Ummm, this may need to be moved to another forum :)

t-tauri
25-01-2012, 22:03
Moved to 40k general. Please check where you are opening a thread.

logan054
25-01-2012, 22:44
I don't think it would work with thousands sons because of the random movement, might work with deathguard, if I was doing either of these i would want a dread or two just for a excuse to buy some more FW dreads :D

KingDeath
25-01-2012, 22:53
Hey,

I was just wondering if in the modern version of 40k is it possiable to do a no vehicle 1,750 pt competitive 1k Sons or Deathguard army? On a differnet note, how many actual marines / terminators figures am I looking at for 1,750?

Even by using he entire codex csm it is no longer possible to create a truly competative chaos marine army.
Limiting yourself by not using any vehicles you turn your already weak army into a pushover, especialy if you take rubric marines. Even the otherwise adequate Plaquemarines suck if they don't have any transports to get them within melta range.

Mannimarco
25-01-2012, 23:34
Even by using he entire codex csm it is no longer possible to create a truly competative chaos marine army.
Limiting yourself by not using any vehicles you turn your already weak army into a pushover, especialy if you take rubric marines. Even the otherwise adequate Plaquemarines suck if they don't have any transports to get them within melta range.

What he said ^

sprugly
25-01-2012, 23:48
Depends how competitive.

Thousand sons probably not but death guard could make for a tough army if you don't need to compete at high tourney level.

While I think you miss out on some good options by saying no vehicles at all you could get on with plague marines, teleporting combi melta terminators for tough nuts, obliterators maybe if it fits your theme. A cheap prince with wings can draw a lot of fire away from other units even without using the nerfed warptime.

As I say you won't win tournaments with it but for fun with friends it could be a tough list.

Sprugly

DuskRaider
26-01-2012, 00:08
I dunno, I use an all foot slogging Death Guard list to pretty good effect. I also drop down about 21 Terminators behind the enemy lines and slag them with Combi-Meltas as well, so it tends to create a lot of confusion with the opponent. That and we play very terrain heavy, so I use that to my advantage. Throw a Terminator Lord w/ Daemon Weapon & Combi-Melta in with a squad of Terminators to have more fun.

Kevlar
26-01-2012, 00:18
Rubrics aren't much better than regular chaos space marines, hardly worth the point increase. Regular chaos space marines in cover are just as protected against shooting, and have real weapon options to shoot back with. Their lack of mobility and almost no weapon options mean they are practically useless against mech. AP3 bolters won't help you crack a rhino, much less a land raider. No options for power fists mean most monstrous creatures, walkers, and enemy HQ will slaughter them.

Plague marines, while good, are mostly good for tarpitting enemy assault squads. They are horrible against monstrous creatures or walkers, which turn them into overpriced chaos space marines. What they are best at is the fact that you can take five, give them two special weapons, and cruise around in a rhino laying down some nice melta or plasma shots. Cheap, effective unit. And they are great counters to some threats. Stuff like necron scarabs just can't wound them. Banshees struggle against them. Assault Marines will have a tough time beating them as well. The down side is the plagues have little in the way of offense so you can expect protracted combats where eventually, three turns later, you win.

If you really want to make competitive chaos lists you have to mix cults. One squad of Rubrics won't break your list, even though they are a sub par choice. A couple of units of plague marines are great in any list. Taking plasma pot shots and holding objectives is what they do best. But you need berzerkers, preferably with a power fist for assault. Support them with princes, dreadnaughts, or even defilers. Deep striking terminators or raptors with melta guns provide much needed anti-vehicle deep strike capability. But you want these units bare bones, giving them a nurgle icon is a huge waste of points on a small "suicide squad".

In 1750 you would probably need around 50 models if you field mostly cult troops and no vehicles. Rhinos don't cost much though and make your troops a lot more powerful.

sprugly
26-01-2012, 09:05
I don't agree that you NEED things like berzerkers. You can run a perfectly good list without assault troops like them.

As said the plague marines are best at short To mid range shooting. You can add a fist though to give them punch if you wish.

As much as I love the rhino in most armies I don't see any point in just having one or 2 and no other vehicles. They will just be obvious targets for the entire armies anti tank and will be smoked on turn one. By having only infantry you make all anti tank weapons less useful. The most they can do is kill a terminator.

While teleporting suicide terminator squads are fun don't discount larger squads. A 5 man squad with combi meltas and maybe a chain fist as the only upgrades can kill armour the turn they arrive and are threatening enough that your opponent must deal with them or suffer next turn.

Raptors are a good idea, meltas for rapid tank hunting?

As much as they're a little out of fashion these days I like the idea of plasma guns on the plague marines. Their feel no pain helps to counter the down point. Extra range, more shots close up, strong enough to take out transports. If cover get downgraded to 5+ in 6th they'll be more helpful all round.

Sprugly