PDA

View Full Version : Skaven gutter runners.

Rusty_Necron
25-01-2012, 23:09
I hear gutter runners are good war machine hunters... Can someone explain how they are good? Because all I'm seeing is them needing 6,s to wound anything and dying before they do enough wounds to destroy a war machine..... I just need someone else's view on this... Thanks ;)

Kayosiv
26-01-2012, 00:02
charge into the crew and give them nets and/or poisoned attacks. They will be more than a match for the crew.

dementian
26-01-2012, 00:03
Poison + Slings? 90 points for 5. 10 Attacks poison on 6s.

They can either deploy as Scouts ideally into your opponents deployment zone, to pester troops and go for a war machine. Or as sneaky infiltrator and show up turn 2+ from a board edge.

I have used them to great effect myself, 5 can usually take out any fast cav coming up flanks and if you can get a lone character with those poison shots BAM.

Rusty_Necron
26-01-2012, 01:33
Ok this helps, I wasn't thinking of them as charging into the war machines and was only thinking of them using their slings against them, also I see the benefit now of having them behind enemy lines to annoy blocks and pick off lone characters and calvlery, thank you guys

dementian
26-01-2012, 01:46
You could also try going for a fairly large group of 9 gutter runners. With 18 poison slings shot you should expect to get like 3 6's and bye bye warmachine.

russellmoo
26-01-2012, 02:17
I would take more than 5- 5 doesn't seem to ever get the job done- try at least 7, 9-10 make for a unit that will kill most warmachines in 1 turn from 18" out-

Akkaryn
26-01-2012, 07:42
Third thing in my lists are 2 big units of gutter runners. They are amazing at helping to control the battle and usually no matter what army you play they have a juicy target.

I also like to include an assassin in there too occasionally.

tmarichards
26-01-2012, 08:20
They're pretty dirty. 3 units of 15 is too much for an awful lot of armies to handle... come on behind them and poison away :(

Djekar
26-01-2012, 08:28
3 units of 15 is too much for an awful lot of armies to handle...
I'd complain that 3 units of 15 is too expensive, then I remembered how cheap the rest of the skaven army was. Bring it on I guess... I hate skaven sometime.

As an alternative to bringing them on in the back, I watched a recent battle report on youtube (I forget whose though - Tom's maybe?) where there were gutter runners hanging out behind the skaven lines. While debating what I might do against that skaven army I thought about flying monsters to get to the small bunker - and then I remembered that there were 3 units of Gutter Runners hanging out back there too. So long, Mr. Monster.

theshoveller
26-01-2012, 08:35
One of my regular opponents uses two units of five. I know I'm going to lose my war machines at some point because it costs more points to defend them (because they're coming on from the back of the board, I'm keeping a unit out of the fight to do it) than to simply work around the loss.

Rusty_Necron
26-01-2012, 09:09
Unfortunately i wont be able to fit them into my 500 pt warband list for next week, but im going to give these guys a re-look for my 2k+ pt lists from now on. I think i can deff manage to fit at least a unit of 10 if not not 5's. Thanks guys =)

Chowner
26-01-2012, 09:32
Gutter Runners are indeed good war machine hunters, but thats not all they are, to most people they are the best thing in the book (on a par with slaves perhaps)!

so 3*15 might be a little extreme for an example, lets say 3*7 instead....

Those units pump out 14 poison shots each, so should easily take care of a load warmachines over a couple of turns, as if they fail to poison them to death, they can charge in and do it that way (high I, high WS, multiple attacks, poison - heck they even nave a ward save!).

But its not just limited to warmachines, wizard bunkers can get nuked in no time, even if the bunker is 20+ strong, 42 poison shots appearing at the back of the board over a couple of turns will decimate the unit, and bring it closer and closer to the magical 'can 13th the entire unit off now' number ;) - and should the opposing player ned to deal with them, they need to turn around something half decent and throw it into them (due to them being tasty(ish) in combat - as I mentioned above). And if your careful with them, they can be tricky points for your opponent to get especially with slaves holding everything up.

Failing that, they can poison big monsters off, kill enemy chaff, harry big blocks, or just to pick wounds off big fighty units - all essential to the Skaven imho, so you can see how multiple units of 10 or more would appeal to some people - also you might not notice them doing much if you have a single unit of 5, so if your gonna try them out, id start with two units of 7 to see the effect. ;)

So use them to hunt warmachines, mosters, bunkers, chaff, anything else you like, but most definitely use them ;)

Spinocus
26-01-2012, 19:03
I find two units of 7 Gutter Runners to be essential versus most lists. Seven is a nice number that makes them a bit more resilient to light losses due to magic/shooting and 14 poison sling multi-shots are more likely to score a few wounds on war machines and small units of fast cavalry & skirmishers.

lovedinplaster
26-01-2012, 22:29
My list is quite odd. Heavy warmachines. I run a group of ten to protect my flanks from cavalry, enemy harassment, and warmachines hunting. I already run two assassins in my list. Thinking about going to two groups of seven and having the assassin's in there.

Roughly I run, jezzails, heavy weapons teams, and as many template weapons or cannons as possible

xiconia
02-02-2012, 08:41
Helpfull advice.
Ive been running 3 units of 10 nights runners (210) points, They use there slinking and then just run down flanks and pick off whatevers valuable and they stand there own against light cav. Also to charge flanks on large infantry blocks when there a frontal charge to add a couple more casualties.

Dropping that in place 2 units of 6 poison gutters I guess what i gain is alot more flexibility (being able to throw further).

Th problem Ive always seen with gutter runners is at LD 7 and tiny unit sizes is 1 magic hit or solid ranged volly gets them running. Ill give them a couple of runs and see how it does

Tanglewood
03-02-2012, 23:12
I'd complain that 3 units of 15 is too expensive, then I remembered how cheap the rest of the skaven army was. Bring it on I guess... I hate skaven sometime.

As an alternative to bringing them on in the back, I watched a recent battle report on youtube (I forget whose though - Tom's maybe?) where there were gutter runners hanging out behind the skaven lines. While debating what I might do against that skaven army I thought about flying monsters to get to the small bunker - and then I remembered that there were 3 units of Gutter Runners hanging out back there too. So long, Mr. Monster.

Yea that was me with the Skaven. Ideally I had wanted for them to come on turn 3 from behind but I declared I was going to scout them so I had to scout (because it's almost never a good idea to infiltrate). Coming in reliably from turn 3 and since most opponents get the first turn, that's 4 turns of warmachine shots and most things will already be in combat so not so much to snipe. You're also losing 6 shots per GR per game that way. With effective range of 30", it's np to position them to hit warmachine in the first turn.

They were behind the slaves that game for a number of reasons:

1/ Stop waywatchers deploying behind me and shooting the bunker (it was battle of the pass and I had to set up as far forward as possible and I didn't have small blocks or small bs shooting units to deal with scouts)
2/ Point denial. GR is great at absorbing attentions and then hiding for the rest of the game
3/ Stop eagles from landing behind my line to threaten the bunker by filling up spots where they could land
4/ Bunker for GS and BSB to run to in case anything happen to the small slave bunker
5/ They get shot to pieces by woodies. no -1 to hit for moving and shooting means they're hit on 5+ which is 2x easier than 6+. They can't take on dryads who stood at the front of the enemy (-1 to hit so no poison on them and too high I and 2 attacks smash GR faces) so they ended up at the back behind slaves for the -2 to hit.

Back to OP. GR has a lot of uses - I wrote a page of their uses on the underempire but basically the number to take depends on what you're trying to do.