PDA

View Full Version : 1500 skaven first attempt

azza88
25-01-2012, 23:44
So I've picked up a few island of blood boxes and making a skaven horde army from the contents with some small editions. So far I've come up with the following:

Chieftain - BSB, Storm Banner.
Warlock Engineer - Dispel Scroll, Wizard Level 1.

40 Clanrats - Full command, shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar.
39 Clanrats - Full command, spears & shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar.
39 Clanrats - Full command, spears & shields, Poisoned Wind Mortar.
50 slaves - Shields, musician.
50 slaves - Shields, musician.

Warp Lightning Cannon.
Warp Lightning Cannon.

1469 - so 31 points to spend on something??

I'm mainly going to be playing Ogre, Brets and high elves. My only concern is that high elves only strikes first rule will destroy my large infantry blocks before I get chance to cause some damage. Comments and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

dementian
25-01-2012, 23:57
Hey Azza,

You need to have a general for your army. The general must have the highest Ld value of the army and cannot be the BSB so there is that that you have to tweak.

I play against HE quite often with my skaven list and if you can tie them up in those big slave blocks their steadfast (and ideally proximity to BSB and Generals inspiring presence) should keep them sticking around for a while.

WLC are beastly, I don't leave home without them. I dunno how competetive a list you are looking for but if you are just trying to do some friendly battles maybe leave one at home. Two can be very powerful on the field.

Grey Seer Kwokka
26-01-2012, 02:04
You need to have a general for your army. The general must have the highest Ld value of the army and cannot be the BSB so there is that that you have to tweak.

The Warlock Engineer can be the army general.

However, if the OP wishes to go down this road, he needs to better equip him for survival and have a game plan in place.

dementian
26-01-2012, 02:23
I don't have my army book on me I'm pretty sure that the Chieftain has a leadership of 6 and the Engineer is only leadership 5, so then the Engineer cannot be the general since the character with highest leadership in the army has to be the general.

Grey Seer Kwokka
26-01-2012, 02:27
I don't have my army book on me but doesn't the Chieftain have a higher Ld value than the Engineer?

And the Chieftain has an explicit rule that states if he becomes a BSB, he cannot be the army general.

So by order of elimination...

azza88
26-01-2012, 02:58
Thanks for the replies this far. I was under the impression that a warlock engineer would be fine for my HQ as hes in a block of 40 clanrats, my plan was to reform the unit 4x10 deep so it would get skaven Ld bonus and they hopefully would not break.

I also have no idea what types of wargear are good for engineers or chieftan. I've only one played fantasy back in 3rd edition as dark elves.

I was planning in keeping the two units of 50 slaves and 39 clanrats with heroes in them as a blob while keeping the last unit of 40 to defend the warp lightening cannons.

Grey Seer Kwokka
26-01-2012, 03:09
I'd dare say you've got too much core, really. A good average for quantity for a Skaven army is 1 model to 10 points, so you're looking at about 150 models. You're almost 70 models over that!

You're probably best to interchange one of the Clanrat regiments for something more hammer-y, like either Stormvermin or Plague Monks. I'd probably also ditch the spears entirely and maybe one of the Poisoned Wind Mortars as you've got plenty of shooting already. Get something more versatile, like some Gutter Runners.

Also, if you intend to run a Warlock Engineer as a general, you need to be smart how you equip him. Get some kind of ward save on him and maybe even the extra magic level to equally keep him alive and make him more dangerous. Keep in mind that your LD is going to suffer as a whole with a Warlock Engineer general, unless you're sneaky with a Standard of Discipline. Steadfast at LD8 max is still LD8 max.

dementian
26-01-2012, 05:05
Got home, checked books. I had always assumed that the General must be defaulted to highest Ld before you would have a chance to upgrade a model to a BSB, but as you say that seems to not be the case.

I agree about it looking like a lot of core, and I would think maybe some poison + sling gutter runners may be a nice choice.

If you are looking to field plague monks and can afford to take the plague banner as well you would get a very strong hammer unit. If you dropped the 40 clan rats w/ full command, spears, shields, and poisoned wind mortar it would be enough to pick up 40 plague monks. Or 35 + plague banner.