PDA

View Full Version : Official February 2012 White Dwarf (USA 385, UK 386 etc) Feedback Thread

Wintermute
26-01-2012, 20:03
Its time for yet another White Dwarf Feedback thread, this time for the February 2012 issue (US 385, UK 386 etc).

If any of you wish to make more general comments about WD, please will you make them in the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23972).

I would like to make a couple of other requests. If you post the score you have given to the current WD on the thread, would you please explain why especially if you have voted 1 or 10. I think this is useful (and interesting) for other WarSeer members reading the thread, it also provides useful feedback for others who read the thread which may include GW Staffers.

The other request is related to the previous one. Do not criticise people for posting their score and views about WD, I believe we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the the fear of them being criticised.

As always, all off-topic posts and spam will be deleted without notice.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Jim
27-01-2012, 12:42
I wanted to vote 6?! Someone has stolen the middle ground!!!

Anyway, Just had a quick flick through this morning and my initial thoughts are:

The Good
Lovely feature on 25 years of WH40K with lots of input from Jervis etc... including some very interesting facts about the development of the game, how each edition has developed, art, etc...
Some great double spread photos of some seminal 40K battles (Rynns World, Battle For Macragge, Armageddon, Badab War) with tons of models and scenary to look at
Couple of reader armies to look at which are almost always my fav. thing in WD as I like to see alternate non 'Eavy Metal paint schemes - although green Crypt Horrors don't do it for me!
The Bad (sort of)
60% of the magazine is LotR which I don't play and am not very interested in - however, I did flick through and there were some very interesting model releases which might find a way into some Fantasy armies...
The Meh
The new Fantasy scenery tower... It looks like a lovely kit and if it had come out before the Watchtower, Witchfate Tor, Dreadstone Blight or Skullvane Manse I would probably buy it as the price is super (20)...BUT... another tower? Really??!! I wish they had done some standard buildings or maybe an inn, blacksmiths, or anything other than a tower...

Jim

Wintermute
27-01-2012, 19:16
I wanted to vote 6?! Someone has stolen the middle ground!!!

Oops, thanks for pointing this out :o

However, there isn't an option for me to edit the poll and correct it :eek:

Magot
27-01-2012, 22:59
this was the most expensive advertisment dropping on my doormat this month ! Again !!!
2 very poor hobby articles about how to paint the one for the Necrons beats everything.... the gold can be seen more on the higher-ranking Neccrons, while the functional, silver metal is prominent on the Necron warriors..................... pppffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
a readable Standard Bearer.
a bunch of pages regarding 25y of 40K nice, but I rather like to see these in a dedicated book to celibrate this happely event. No just put the world up side down and you have an aniversery edition......

so further this month:
no hobby articles.
no proper battle reports
no conversions
no eveay metal
no proper army lists with an explanation why
no articles about tactics
countles pages with advertisement, extractions of books, other models you can buy, and photos spread out over full pages.
Probably the LoTR players are pleased, they where ignored for a long time. But with the upcomming new movie we need to be kneaded again for buying new stuff.

no, the subscription ends in a few months time, thank you that will be a relief.

Cabalistic
28-01-2012, 02:10

On top of what Magot said, there was no new releases.

Sure, the anniversary model, but so what?
And then there's the part of the Astronomers thing, only repackaged with another sprue - great new release.
Nothing of interest, nothing to fancy my interest, and the rest of the magazine is unreadable imho.

Funnily the german version had an article about GW Frankfurt, wich made me really question my sanity... let's just say that the (female) manager has not been in the hobby for 3 and a half years, as the article claims, but more like 2 years, and that she has never ever finished an army, or anything, blablabla

SunTzu
28-01-2012, 08:17
It looks like Games Workshop have realised they've only done three Lord of the Rings articles in five issues and remembered they have a contractual obligation to gets stuff done, and just chucked it all in this one issue.

To be fair, there's a lot of LOTR here for once, and some of it looks quite cool... if you play LOTR. Which I don't. If I did, the Easterlings would be nice. The casualties are cool (they should do more of those for Warhammer and 40K). The rules and scenario look like they might be interesting... if you play the game. And I do have to wonder what kind of a masochist you'd have to be... for all that War of the Ring got some good press when it came out, it's sank without trace since; with only token support for the last couple of years until this issue, surely it's obvious that GW have neither the will nor the resources to properly support three core games? And conversely, anyone who was interested in it despite the lack of support would have got into it already - and if they haven't the recent stealth price gouge would surely put anyone off. But anyway, this is something of a digression... some of the LOTR magazine content looks cool, but I page-skimmed as I don't play the game and never will.

They've thrown in some token Warhammer content. I really don't have much to say about Civil War... it's Warhammer, only one game in every fourteen or so you get to roll on two 2D6 tables. OK, I mean... I guess that's cool. I guess. There's rules for the new tower - and yep, that stupid looking skeleton on the top really is working like an air traffic controller only for artillery - and a scenario to go along with it - but don't worry! If you don't have this specific tower, any tower will do. Phew! (You have to have a Realm of Battle gameboard, though. 6x4 MDF just isn't good enough).

All the 40K stuff is in the back, celebrating 25 years. Make your own mind up about the anniversary figure, though I'm genuinely amazed they missed the opportunity to make the 25 year figure cost 25 pounds. Some of the history is quite interesting; nostalgia can easily turn into nausea but I felt they did OK with this. Ten pages containing a total of five photos felt like a waste of paper, and I'd normally say the so-called battle reports were rubbish but they did bring a dewy drop of nostalgia to the corner of my eye (I remember reading the Rynn's World stuff in the Rogue Trader book avidly) so I will allow that a pass.

They've even printed (what they consider to be sufficient to count as) hobby content, in the form of two pages of how to paint Necrons somewhat distinctively but nothing like up to 'Eavy Metal standards. Then a bit on painting Easterlings which do look quite nice but again, who wants to put themselves through the hurt of collecting that game? I mean, if there was an 'Eavy Metal masterclass in here as well I'd be more sympathetic... but as it stands... conversions remain a dirty word, they're happy to print full-page photos of 'Eavy Metal miniatures but how to paint to that standard is covered by the Official Secrets Act, the only terrain they even mention is the stuff they sell... it's sad really.

Standard Bearer: "we sell tape measures and templates too!" Ah, Jervis. Black Powder and Hail Caesar in your spare time... and corporate shill 9-5? I used to respect you.

Page after page after page of listing shops and phone numbers? I can't even be bothered to make a joke about how insulting this is any more. I'd use these pages for toilet paper, but they're too shiny.

So... it's got LOTR (though by now why bother), Warhammer (if 2D6 tables are your thing) and 40K (though half of it is just photos). Pretty slim pickings on hobby and general interest games design. First up let me say that if you do play LOTR (you poor thing), this issue is probably a 10. For the rest of us... well, it gains a couple of points for good nostalgia... loses a couple of points for the continued blanket refusal to admit that conversions exist, or show how the best painters paint... hmmm... OK, we'll say it gains a point for not being last month's White Dwarf (much in the same way that Barack Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for not being George W Bush)... a generous 5.

Wintermute
28-01-2012, 10:07
When I read Standard Bearer it reminded me of a tv advert McDonalds are running for their coffee where a voice is heard saying "I spent an hour today talking about staplers".

Jervis's two page article about tape measures and templates is just as mundane and uninteresting as having to listen to someone talking about staplers for an hour.

dijital_llama
28-01-2012, 13:56
I wanted to vote for 6 but have rounded it down to a 5.
I felt this issue was too heavily weighted to one system. Yes I understand that they are always going to push what's big this month but I wish they would find a balance.
The full write up is here (http://warllama40k.blogspot.com/2012/01/white-dwarf-386-february-2012.html) but to summarise- Easterlings look cool, Jervis has gone crazy, more skull scenery (really?!) and the saving grace was the 40k flip over with a great interview and battle scenes.
Oh and Nick's army on parade is sweet.

Phantom Dusclops'92
28-01-2012, 18:08
Ok, I know that everyone is hating this number because almost no one plays LOTR (or so it looks). I didn't, even if I don't play LOTR.

The big LOTR part is nice (is almost convincing me to buy the Balrog-except that I'm in monetary issues).

Civil War... we get the O&G table. Funny. Can't wait for the Skaven one now. Also the WoC one, with the last result giving to each player one of Archaon's equipments and makes killing the enemy general istant win.

The new tower... IS FILLED WITH SKULLS SO IT SUCKS DUH! ...no, seriously, why everyone hates towers and skulls here? Ok, I admit that I'd like to see GW releasing a Gork/Mork Idol one day (it haves his own rules on the rulebook, is the main point of one of the Storm of Magic Orc spells, they really should...), but this is nice too.

Necron painting guide! Today I had to paint the Ghost Ark, so it was a great surprise to have it (since I'm doing Nihilak Dinasty too).

Vampires are Vampires, Armies on Parade is Armies on Parade, Esterlings are Esterlings. (albeit I love their design)

Why everyone hates the phone listings? You know, they can be helpful sometimes. Maybe, while your local store (GW or not) is closed for restaurations, holidays or other stuff, you can check where other stores selling GW stuff are in your town.

And then it comes the 25th anniversary special. A bit of history, lots of pics and boxes of trivia scattered around here and there. Exactly what I imaginated it would have been.

I give this a 7.

SunTzu
28-01-2012, 18:47
Why everyone hates the phone listings? You know, they can be helpful sometimes. Maybe, while your local store (GW or not) is closed for restaurations, holidays or other stuff, you can check where other stores selling GW stuff are in your town.

Seriously?

Torga_DW
28-01-2012, 19:19
When I read Standard Bearer it reminded me of a tv advert McDonalds are running for their coffee where a voice is heard saying "I spent an hour today talking about staplers".

Jervis's two page article about tape measures and templates is just as mundane and uninteresting as having to listen to someone talking about staplers for an hour.

That struck me too, i was like: 2 whole pages dedicated to how much one man loves his tape measure? really?

But if you put it in the context of target audience, maybe it was a brilliant article. The thing is, we're adults (well most of the time, well some of the time i behave like one). And our brains literally work differently. To a 10-12 yr old, that might have been an awesome and brilliantly written article.

To give you a personal example, when i was a kid i loved watching dr who (not this remake garbage). The show was well written, suspensful, with state of the art special effects. I remember last year or so i caught a couple reruns on cable, and my jaw just dropped. Things didn't make sense, the writing was dodgy and the scary alien was a guy dressed up in a goofy rubber suit.

The point is, childrens brains are literally wired differently until they grow up. We're all reading this magazine as adults, but from what i can tell the real audience is supposed to be children. So the quality of the magazine is quite possibly 10/10 every month.

Scary thought, no?

Magot
28-01-2012, 21:02

I hate this waste of paper because it is useless.
I was on holidays in California and brought the pages with me, to check out some stores.
Result: 60% of the shops didn't exist any more........... or..... didn't sell the GW stuff any more........ pfffff. spent a lot of milages for nothing..........

Phantom Dusclops'92
28-01-2012, 21:33
I hate this waste of paper because it is useless.
I was on holidays in California and brought the pages with me, to check out some stores.
Result: 60% of the shops didn't exist any more........... or..... didn't sell the GW stuff any more........ pfffff. spent a lot of milages for nothing..........

... maybe was an old number?

If it isn't... Italian version updates it better. In the last two years, in my town a new seller opened, another moved and another one stopped selling GW stuff. They were respectively added, changed and removed from the list.

...OK, maybe they're not that useful most of the times.

Torga_DW
28-01-2012, 21:41
... maybe was an old number?

If it isn't... Italian version updates it better. In the last two years, in my town a new seller opened, another moved and another one stopped selling GW stuff. They were respectively added, changed and removed from the list.

...OK, maybe they're not that useful most of the times.

I had this happen to me too, last year. I went to visit the rellies and brought my white dwarf with me to visit some of the local independants. I prefer independants as they tend to stock other ranges, and i like to see what else it out there. All of the nearby independants in white dwarf that i visited simply were no longer there. A year later, and some of them are still listed in the back of white dwarf.

Magot
29-01-2012, 09:47
good question! but no it was the latest at that moment..............

it is indeed related to the independent ones....
all the official GWs were there.

thenamelessdead
29-01-2012, 18:50
I tried the same in Vilnius and I swear the shop no longer exists. My girlfriend is Lithuanian so we must have got the right place.

stahly
29-01-2012, 21:25
This issue was mostly about LotR, but the coverage was as bad and superficial as the Vampire Counts and Beastmen coverage of the last two issues. No talk with the designers, in fact they don't tell you why they did new sourcebooks at all. Nowhere. You don't learn what has changed, everything was written in marketing speech and aimed at people who never heard about the game.
Apart from that there were some hobby filler articles, especially the Necron army workshop with only two pages of tutorials, however the 40k anniversary articles were readable, especially the interview with Jervis, Alan Merrett and John Blanche, part 2 of Civil War was quite good, too. All in all, a mediocre issue. 5/10. As each month, I've written a more detailed review with lots of pictures of this month's issue in my blog, just follow the link in my signature.

Orrinocco
30-01-2012, 07:42
I gave it a generous 2. Absolutely awful, and the quality drops month on month. THe painting guides are just a list of colours. And don't get me started on helpful hints like 'use a citadel wash brush for this as it holds more liquid'...
No depth to any of the articles. I don't play the games, but would be interested to know why certain decisions to introduce things were made. I guess the true answers 'we did this so we could up the price of miniatures / make a bigger monster that costs more and makes more profit' isn't politic to put in their advertising brochure!

Lord Damocles
30-01-2012, 19:38
Must be positive, must be positive, must be positive...

Editorial - Huh. Apparently I played my first game of LoTR before Kenrick. Given that they insist on putting in a contents page, it seems odd that they neglected to mention any of the upside-down 40K stuff.
Poor

The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game - Wassat? Not News and New Releases? The text seems to be aimed at newcomers to the game - which is fine, I suppose, but it all seems very wishy-washy. The big 'Balin's Tomb' and 'Amon Hen' annotated pictures seem rather pointless, and barely any mention is made of the new sourcebooks - which are surely what existing players will be wanting to know about (I'm still rather confused as to what is is that they're replacing). I'm not just being negative (really; this is me in a new positive state of mind. Honest), but there certainly seems to be something lacking from this.
OK

News/New Releases - Bla bla bla, big pictures etc.. To be fair, they're not as bad as they usually are, I suppose - surely the Watcher could have done with a double page spread? :shifty:
OK

Race to the Ruins (LoTR battle report) - Putting the rules for the Watcher in is good idea. Odd that despite being call The Watcher in the Water, it can apparently appear anywhere on dry land, but still...
The report itself suffers from a lack of maps, and relying on annotated pictures rather than text to explain what's going on. If this is supposed to act as an introduction for new players, then it seems too complicated.
Poor (rules Good)

I don't usually bother to read the 'in-store this month' pages. I find it amusing that three of the four 'events' are just 'go into a GW store and ask the blackshirt to sell you something'.

The Armies of Middle Earth - The concept (introduction to the various races/factions in the new books) is a good one, but the execution is pretty terrible. Out of each double page spread, you get maybe half a page of text, two bigger than half page pictures, and an army list. Why not show a selection of the models from each faction? (if you're new to all this Tolkien stuff, how are you supposed to know what a Numenorian looks like?) particularly noticeable since they put pictures of models all over the double page spread of boxsets a little later in the issue.
Poor

The Storming of Harlond (LoTR battle report) - Again, suffers from a lack of maps, and glossing over quite a bit of the action (just lists of 'two X, one Y and three Z were killed' - but not what they were killed by etc.). It would have been much better to have ditched the first report, and used the space to bulk out this one.
OK

- Double page spread of LoTR boxsets -

Standard Bearer - I can only describe my reaction to this as something approaching slack jawed amazement. Did that actually happen? Did Jervis just wax lyrical about the wonders of templates?
'...all the templates you'll ever need are made in sturdy clear plastic...' Aha! so finally he admits that the Fantasy template set is not needed!
Poor

Warhammer Civil War - I'd kind of assumed that this would be wrapped up in this issue. Spinning it out across three issues for the want of an extra two or three pages seems a tad excessive.
OK

Standing Watch (Deathknell Watch) - More rules for skull-encrusted towers. And then a Battlefield Challenge. Haven't had one of those for a while.
I'm sure it's great and all (being positive, dammit!)... but:
'Defenders Victory Points
For each loot counter held by a raiding unit that is still on the table at the end of the battle: 100 victory points'
So the defender gets victory points for loot held by the raiders (the raiders also get victory points for the same condition)? Or should that say, 'held by a defending unit'?
Also, should there be an apostrophe in the subtitle?
OK

Army Workshop: Necrons - 'Chris used the Necron Battleforce as the starting point for his army'. Oh really? Really? Do you actually expect me to believe that? He used a box only released this month as the starting point for his army which was completed in large part prior to the release of Codex: Necrons. Really?
The Nihilakh Dynasty might have a pretty colour scheme, but given that any Necron player who owns the codex will have seen them before, might another colour scheme have worked better?
The tiny painting guides are OK, although the text and pictures for stages 2 and 3 of 'Painting Metal' seem out of step, and shoeing six different examples of green bits is rather excessive.
'blah blah... turquoise... You can see this on the higher-ranking infantry such as the Triarch Praetorians...' That's nice. of course, the Triarch Praetorians only have their chest icon in turquoise. I think they meant the Lychguard.
Something other than the standard models would have been nice. Some expanded background for the dynasty would have been nice.
OK

Armies of the Night (Vampire Counts armies) - basically the same as the Necron army workshop. I don't believe that Matt started his army using the new battleforce, then travelled back in time to use his army in the Blood in the Badlands campaign. Would have liked to see some more conversions (I spy a Blood Bowl model in Carl Dafforn's army). Would have liked to see more of Carl's army in general.
OK

Armies on Parade - Some pretty Ultramarines. Why are the vehicles on bases? How come Ventris' weapons don't match those from Nightbringer (Bolt Pistol and Chainsword IIRC)? (I know. This is why I can't have nice things).
OK

Army Workshop: Easterlings - Now, this is my big problem (well, OK, one of my big problems...) with LoTR coverage in White Dwarf: these Easterlings - while pretty - are just the basic models, in almost exactly the same colour(s) as the studio models. They're just not very exciting.
Could have had an 'Eavy Metal guide to painting them.
Poor

Stuff at the back in the middle - My initial impression was that there is more of it than usual, but I think that was just because the store listings are interspersed with the GW store guide things (which are deadly tedious).
There's a map of the Netherlands. That'll be handy if I get stranded on the continent and desperately need to get some hobby supplies.

Oh look, it's that guy from the South Woodford Library again. I was quite complementary about him in a previous review. He doesn't have a lot to say here ('become an independant retailer'), and the pictures eat into text space (on the plus side, I guess I could identify the librarian now..?) but for some reason, I still kind of liked it. Is that wierd? Probably.
Poor

~~~ Twisty-turny-upside-downy ~~~

Oh, there's a second contents page here. Wierd.

A Blast From The Past - Three pictures of the anniversary model, and two of the picture it's based on (hilariously making it clear that it's not a direct copy) on the same page. Compare to the release of the Emperor's Champion in 3rd ed. (25 years of Games Workshop (?)) which had rules, background, and pictures of the greens.
Poor

Future's Past - Filler page? Might come back to this...

Gone Rogue (round table discussion) - I found it... lacking. There's a little insight to be had, although little more than has been had before elsewhere/when. Some input by central characters who are no longer with GW would have been good (although I suspect some might not have the best feelings towards the company...), as would some more in-depth discussion of the various editions (apparently they were all great improvements on what came before, and now is the best of times...)
Squats are mentioned (:eek:), but no explanation is given of what they were - so anyone who wasn't there at the time is likely to be left bemused.
The 'Visualising 40K' was more readable than the reast of it. I just love Blanche. Give him ten pages per issue and let him do whatever he wants with them.
Will come back to this too...

A Novel Approach to the 41st Millenium - Odd how they're all titles which are currently in print. Loving ther complete lack of any reasoning or justification for the order.
Poor

Pages of Pictures - Is this really the best use of space? Do we need to see the studio armies (plus a few others) again?
Also, I note the date given to 'The Death of Thesus Reach' with sadness. Apocalypse heavily implies that the battle takes place after the Eye of Terror campaign (Thesus Reach isn't one of the planets in the Cadian Gate fought over during the campaign, the Black Crusade grinds to a halt following Abaddon's defeat there). By shifting it back to 995.M41, it takes place before Abaddon's assault on Cadia, and makes far less sense.
Poor

The Battle For Ryan's World - Apoca-Strike of Death! Compare and contrast this with the multi-battle reports for the assault on Tempestora Hive and the attack on the Basillica Somethingorother on Cadia. What's immediately notable is that both of the previous (good) reports were spread over two issues. This is too brief, lacks maps, includes next to no detail, only covers three turns etc. ect. Lord Damocles is complaining again...
Basically it's a bit rubbish.
Poor

The great 25th anniversary celebration is rather disappointing really. In the interests of constructive criticism, here are some ideas for content which would have been far more interesting:
- Updated rules for Battle at the Farm scenario
- Army showcases of armies from previous eras
- Updated rules for crazy units which never survived beyond the Rogue Trader bestiary
- Quiz
- Pages of pictures of models from the olden days
- Artwork taken from old books/box art (full page spreads)
- More mention(s) of 40K spinoff games
- Then and now comparisons
- Just let John Blanche do something

---------------------------------------------

There seem to be a lot of Poor ratings. It certainly isn't anything like as bad as last month's issue, and perhaps for fans of LoTR it's refreshing to have some content for once.
Perhaps the anniversary stuff is more interesting for those who can't remember big chunks of it (I'm so old now :(), although how many of them won't have seen/read it all on the internet?
There's nothing here which I'm likely to want to return to in future.

A 4 from me this month. (<- see, being positive!)

lolplates
30-01-2012, 20:19
May be the two page write up about how much the man loves his tape measure is metaphorical for something.....:)

It has been ages since I have bought a WD... I might have a look at this one for the tape measure rant.

C-Coen
30-01-2012, 22:09
Must be positive, must be positive, must be positive... [rest of post]

Reading through this month's review gave me the the impression that it really took a lot of effort to be positive. Don't. Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't mind the usual negativity/realism. Heck, I love it. Reminds me of Statler and Waldorf, those 2 grumpy Muppet guys. Great stuff.

shelfunit.
31-01-2012, 07:34
Reading through this month's review gave me the the impression that it really took a lot of effort to be positive. Don't. Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't mind the usual negativity/realism. Heck, I love it. Reminds me of Statler and Waldorf, those 2 grumpy Muppet guys. Great stuff.

Exactly. Reviews are best if you just "tell it as it is". Certainly pick out any good bits, but really, if any more than half the content is poor (and from everything I have seen of the magazine in the last 3 years all bar 2-3 pages an issue have been only worthy of kindling) then it should rightly be panned. The only difference between the muppet guys and WD is that they can turn anything into a bad review, currently WD gets poor reviews because it is just utterly dire, and vacent of content.

SunTzu
31-01-2012, 09:57
In the interests of constructive criticism, here are some ideas for content which would have been far more interesting:
- Updated rules for Battle at the Farm scenario
- Updated rules for crazy units which never survived beyond the Rogue Trader bestiary

Yeah, these things would have been really interesting. BFTF is where it all began for me, and there was lots of weird stuff in Rogue Trader they could have revisited on a just-this-once-and-just-this-once-only basis. I mean, Warhammer is seeing the return of Zoats and Fimir, why not 40K? Would it kill them to give just 2-4 pages to rules for, say, Zoats in your Dark Eldar Court of the Archon (they don't really fit with modern Tyranids I think), or a unit of Squats as an Elite choice in an Imperial Guard army, or a deoderant bottle turned into a skimmer tank in your Space Marine army? Newbies would have seen some of the crazy stuff they did back then, and hoary old veterans would have had a chance to relive their youth. All very informal and fun, but without focus on selling anythi... oh. I've just worked out why they didn't do this.

I guess that kind of thing (which would have been of interest to an awful lot of people) just couldn't find space in the magazine given the dire and pressing need to make sure that if anyone finds themselves stuck in Seoul in South Korea with a copy of White Dwarf, a burning desire to buy Games Workshop models that very day, and a mobile phone (but no internet connection) they'll be able to find a store. Thank goodness for GW's forward thinking - heaven forbid they might have used those pages for fun hobby content.

Spiney Norman
31-01-2012, 10:18
Content by games system
WFB - 3/10, It looks like they're going to be stringing the Civil War rules out over at least 4 issues which quite frankly seems bizarre to me, you can't really call 3 2D6 tables an "article" in this months WD.

The only other thing of note was skully mcskull tower mk3 which rather looks like they're flogging a dead horse, the rules were idiotic, particularly in relation to the magical signal skeleton that can not only wave its arms to send messages but also shoot magical laser bolts from its eyes to kill stuff. If you thought warhammer had already plumbed the depths of inane stupidity think again.

40K - 7/10 loved the necron modelling article and the 25th Anni section, not as much attention as it usually gets maybe, but I'd say it did pretty well given this was an lotr month.

LotR - 9/10 High score because it was basically an Lotr issue, packed full of batreps, rules sneak peaks and discussion of the new army building system, and the best bit, barely a mention of WotR - LotR perfection.

I guess on average that gives us a score of just over 6/10 for the issue, I'm pretty happy with that (its just a shame there is no option for 6/10 on the poll, so I was generous and upped it to 7)

aleksandr
31-01-2012, 17:55
I rated this issue as a 5.

Having read WD on and off since the 80s, I put a lot of stock in nostalgia and this issue carried quite a bit.

As for the 25th anniversary mini, personally, I love it. I've got 3000+ points of painted Crimson Fists and while I already have several captains that I'll never use, this guy will be a nice addition to my collection. Maybe I'm just partial because I'm a CF player.

Despite some of the nostalgic coverage, this issue could have been so much more. Every time there is a new fantasy release WD is virtually dedicated to Fantasy (with maybe a single token article for 40K of dubious quality). We have a once in a 25 year event with the anniversary of 40K and we have an issue dedicated to...LoTR?? Not even War of the Ring (which IMHO is far superior to the skirmish game), but LoTR. I also am not a fan of GW's artistic license in creating 'unique' middle-earth properties. I really think they should stick to the canon.

As for the "4 table massive battle report" part of the 40K coverage, well, it left quite a bit to be desired. Like more than a small blurb about the 3 'sideboard' games and their progress. How about more than 3 turns of Apocalypse coverage? How about army lists?

Little to no hobby coverage, too many pages of advertisements, not enough 40K coverage for a 25th anniversary. I'm not sure anymore why I gave this a 5?

deadly claris
31-01-2012, 18:51
LOTR in WD = 1
:(

lbecks
31-01-2012, 21:10
I'm giving it a 4/10

Still no EM masterclass though thankfully they reduced the hobby articles to a couple pages for each one and neither is how to make a big monster kit look really terrible.
I enjoyed the 40k retrospective and interview.
Paper quality and photo quality are still excellent. Regardless of lack of content it's still good looking, sturdy, and clear.

Something I noticed in the "credits" is the additions to the creative teams. Design has a few more people with some recognizable names like Steve Buddle and Edgar Ramos, Mark Holmes is in the art department now, and EM has Tom Winstone back as well as Simon Addams who was featured on the Games Workshop website. So hopefully future issues will have EM masterclasses now that the team is bigger.

violenceha
01-02-2012, 07:48
I gave this issue a 10.

It's not for the content, but the statement this issue makes. Twenty five years of 40k earns it a small percentage of the magazine, upside down and at the back, so that a liscensed game can have the spotlight.

Whitey, stickin' it to the man.

Finn Sourscowl
03-02-2012, 09:17
Gave it a 2 - I was really looking forward to seeing what they were going to do with the 25th anniversary stuff and was massively dissapointed to see that over half the section on this was given over to full page spreads of pictures of current models. In what way is that a celebration of the history of the game??? Colour me unimpressed.

Mortogul
03-02-2012, 23:12
This Edition of White Dwarf contained way to much LotR Stuff. A more balanced Dwarf about all 3 Core Games would be better.

magath
07-02-2012, 09:13
I voted 1

I get having a LotR release month, I really do and I think its needed. I do have to question the wisdom of doing it at the same time as the 40k anniversary.

They would have been much better off moving the LotR stuff to next month and giving us some decent 40k coverage.

In the end, given WDs crappy quality and two major events this month, both suffer.

Rick_1138
07-02-2012, 11:01
A 3 for me.

Not impressed, it actually spurred me to cancel my sub after some 2 years the 2 issues of 2012 were just crap, the covers are now almost uniform white with a pic photoslapped on, where is the great artowrk each dwarf had on the front, its been a ropey photoshop job for about a year now, but this white background with a single pic reminds me of the bad old days of LOTR movie still covers (Shudder).

Also as this was the issue celebrating 25 years of 40k, i was expecting a thicker issue like the 300th issue or 30 years of GW etc, but no, we get a supplement at the back, with the only interesting bits being the artwork from RT on the back (which should have been on the main cover) and an interview with the main team of Blanche, Johnson et al, other than that it was about 6 double page spreads of the main battles we all know, this was kind of cool, but as this was a suppleme4nt it made up about 50% of the issue!!

so why was 40k's big bash so poorly covered, "quel surprise", The hobbit is coming out, and GW smell the LOTR bubble Mk2! why this couldnt have been done next month or even the 40K anniversary magazine done as a special issue for 5, i would have bought that, with good info on each version of the game, not just a corner callout for each version from 2nd ed to 5th done on 2 pages.....sigh

Good bye WD, i tried to love you again, but you are just crap.

If the EA masterclass returns, i may call you.

shelfunit.
07-02-2012, 11:22
Good bye WD, i tried to love you again, but you are just crap.

Oh, so very close to being sigged :D

eldargal
09-02-2012, 08:57
I'm giving it 4 for the Civil War and 40k Anniversary bits. I did enjoy the article on the BitB VC army, it showed that with a different paintjob Dire Wolves aren't quite so horrifically ugly. I think this issue is the worst I can remember, even the Dreadfleet one wasn't this bad and others this past twelve months have been rather good in my opinion.

alphaecho
09-02-2012, 10:25
I was happy with the issue. I view this more of a 'Year of 40K' rather than all being contained in one WD (still time for me to be proved wrong). Whilst the 40K section being upside down and at the back irks some, I like the fact that the Crimson Fist artwork is displayed without any other headings, byline or barcodes getting in the way. Lets face it, if this issue was all 40K, some would complain about that.

Morkash
09-02-2012, 12:45
Gave it a 5. Given the fact that I neither play 40k nor LotR I was still enjoying the WD.
The 40k part had a certain nostalgic moment, mixed with some "wtf?" ones. For example they start talking about Apocalypse, someone mentions Forgeworld ... and Jervis immediately counter with GW's AWESOME Baneblade/Stompa and FW is left completely under the carpet. Not sure if that's funny or just sad?

The LotR part was refreshing, I enjoyed reading about it years ago back when LotR had its own part of WD space (like the current issue has with 40k). Of course it was very "look how many awesome monsters you can fit in such a small army, buy 'em right here!", but again it reminded me of older times, 5th edition WHF in this particular case. ;)

So all in all it was a mediocre issue, nice to read but not over/underwhelming. Thus a 5 from me.

librerian_samae
10-02-2012, 09:15
Right in assuming that 5 is neutral on this scale I gave this issue a 7.

Straight away it got a 6, because I had fun reading it, the warhammer VC armies, 40k interviews and overall LOTR content meant it was very enjoyable.

I bumped my score to a seven because I managed to grab an old easterling 20 man box for the original selling price and found the simple but effective paint scheme for the easterlings this issue awesome!

EDIT:

Almost forgot the necron scheme was very good too as intend to try it out at some point.

popisdead
10-02-2012, 20:55
All the LotR took away from precious Fantasy but the 25th 40k stuff was nice to see.

Shamutanti
12-02-2012, 22:57
More 10s and 1s for a White Dwarf in this month's thread than I've seen in a long while. Kind makes me smile.

I enjoyed the mag, I like reading about the LOTR stuff and I enjoy playing the game. Heck, the WD this month appears to of completely fired up the staff and the player base of 3 stores in the local area, so it's get a well deserved score from moi. But then I'm always pretty generous with my scores because I enjoy WD for what it is.

SunTzu
13-02-2012, 11:40
But then I'm always pretty generous with my scores because I enjoy WD for what it is.

...by which you mean you always give it 10, as soon as the poll appears?

Which, y'know, is as valid as any other score... and there are certain people that always give it 1 as soon as the poll appears. But yeah, most people would say a 10 every month is more than just "pretty generous". Just sayin'.

Shamutanti
13-02-2012, 16:40
...by which you mean you always give it 10, as soon as the poll appears?

Which, y'know, is as valid as any other score... and there are certain people that always give it 1 as soon as the poll appears. But yeah, most people would say a 10 every month is more than just "pretty generous". Just sayin'.

Well someone has to balance out the 1s! Haha :P

The truth is I generally enjoy what#'s inside considering it only costs 4.50. If it was 6 or 7 I might have an issue, but otherwise it's fine. In fact this months was particually good! I like Lord of the Rings, I don't get to play enough of it, and it's been really good for the community, who have fully got behind and engaged with it. Half of that was because of White Dwarf - also Simon, the main LOTR WD writer, is a MASSIVE enthusiast behind the gaming system and that's well known around these parts to make people read it.

I didn't really read much into the 40k section, only skimming the written sections, but that's generally because I have a dislike towards Blanche (and typically what he thinks and draws), and those pieces of the magazine just weren't inspiring to me. Although the wide scale battle set outs and the general photo ops they took were cool to look at and I can imagine they sparked the youngsters minds off pretty well! I know I used to love looking over wide scale battle pics. as a kid!

And the Civil War thing kept me entertained also - iin fact my gaming group has tried some of them already and it's been pretty successful. Enough for us to consider involving it into our gaming campaign next time!