PDA

View Full Version : Chaos GK army, Need a little help!

HOGGLORD
27-01-2012, 06:45
Hi I'm creating a chaos GK army, I was wondering what units and models to use. Ok, this is the background:

In the time of the great heresy, the Dark Angels chapter suffered a great tragedy. Roughly half their legion turned traitor and were transported through time and space by the dark gods of chaos. One of these individuals was a librarian who donned the name Kethorys after the great fall. He was a learned man, but with a thirst for more knowledge. He soon came into the thrall of Tzeentch, as do many in search of arcane information. Over the centuries he had created a large warband, who specialized in the summoning of deamonic hoards to overcome their enemies.
Now Kethorys stood beside two of his fallen brethren as well as five score of chaos space marines and thousands of cultists. Then the Deamonhunters came. The Grey Knights tore into Kethorys' forces, killing all but perhaps a dozen survivors, including Kethorys and his fellow fallen. The defeated sorcerer appealed to Tzeentch for aid against the grey knights, who still searched for him. Tzeentch complied. Some of the Grey Knights had fallen in the bloody combat that had preceded Kethorys' defeat and those warriors began to stir. The remaining Grey Knights, hunting for the last of the traitors, were suddenly met with their own warriors' blades. They were quickly slaugtered and the bodies collapsed, lifeless again.
Kethorys' set about using the Deamonhunters equipment, he spent many years working out how to break the ancient seals and magic wards in the armour, but eventually succeded. He then tried a risky maneuver, he had learnt some time ago the fabled 'Rubric of Ahriman' and was skilled in the art of deamon summoning. He summoned a hoard of lesser deamons and bound them to the dead Grey Knights, whose armour changed and twisted as the deamons fitted themselves, then he cast the 'Rubric of Ahriman', with but a fraction of the power that Ahriman himself used, but potent nonetheless. The deamons were fused with the dead, and were essentially destroyed in the process. What came out of the smoke and warp fueled light, was an army of skilled Dark Knights, unflinching and pitiless and utterly loyal to Kethorys.
His force was still small though, and he set about finding new followers. Tzeentch guided him to a corrupt govoner who commanded a force of well equipped traitors. Kethorys set about taking over. It took little effort and the corrupt army now served him.
All feedback welcome ;)

lantzkev
27-01-2012, 07:25
sounds aweful.

But that having been said, you'll want alot of spikey bits and skulls for the skull god yadda yadda.

Then of course strike squad kits, terminator kits etc. A chaos version of the dreadknight could be pretty cool if done well.

Legatho
27-01-2012, 07:32
Nemesis weapons could be cut to receive chaos knights blades, various chains and horns on the armor, possesed heads and/or woc helms, skulls, bones, fur... And for the fun do not cut the "I" off.... That's a fun project, I'm going to make an attempt on one today!

lantzkev
27-01-2012, 07:34
dreadknight mixed with greenstuff and bits from the giant chaos walker thing? sounds pretty hawt.

The Death of Reason
27-01-2012, 07:36
Horrible fluff - on par with Ward :)

I suggest waiting a bit. The GK are too unique in their load-out to be a good counts-as flavour of the month army.

Go with space wolves instead :cheese:

lantzkev
27-01-2012, 07:59
or ya know, play chaos marines but with chaosy grey knight models.

Legatho
27-01-2012, 08:10
I've made a tzeentch flamer with bloodletters legs and a nemesis dreadknight heavy incinerator... i'll post pic later in the afternoon.

ihavetoomuchminis
27-01-2012, 11:30
or ya know, play chaos marines but with chaosy grey knight models.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

LonelyPath
27-01-2012, 12:51
It is worth pointing out that it's not just the GK himself that's night immune to daemonic (and Chaos) influence, but the armour helps that with all of those wards. They burn hot when something related to Chaos tries to gain influence and repels it automatically. Chaos getting control over GK wargear wouldn't work.

It's also worth pointing out that your fluff is also flawed. With a Fallen amassing a force of that size, the DA would already have noticed and sent their own guys after him. It doesn't take them that long to uncover the arrival of a member of the Fallen.

Basically, your idea doesn't work.

Righthandedtwin
27-01-2012, 12:55
If you're wanting a Chaosy force using the GK list.. (Something I myself considered) don't go for the ressurected, daemon armour thing, as Lonelypath pointed out, it's not jsut the GK that is immune to Chaos but his armour is soaked in this psychic signature providing immunity as welll.

HOWEVER!!!

That being said there is a way to do it, have you considered doing a Sekmeht list? also known as the Scarab Occult they were the Thousand Sons equivilant to a first company, as such I think I recall ATS mentioning they were all Psykers, so try converting an army of Scarab Occult using all Termanator Squads and leading them with either a GM or Librarian, but avoid things like Dreadnoughts, Techmarines, apothecaries...research the Thousand Sons a little but I think this could be just the thing for you, since they fit the Warrior-Sorcerror archetype that the GK occupy within the Codices selection.

Korraz
27-01-2012, 14:18
Horrible fluff - on par with Ward :)

That's an insult to Ward.

Yeah, just use Space Wolves.

Righthandedtwin
27-01-2012, 14:23
That's an insult to Ward.

Yeah, just use Space Wolves.

Take it easy on the poor guy Korraz =/ he's clearly new to all this, let's try to guide him rather than tear him down ;)

Space Wolves seem strangely to feel more like they'd fit a CSM list than a LSM list haha :L

The Death of Reason
27-01-2012, 15:01
Its not that the Wolves are better at being 'chaos', its that the wolves are more generic marines - no force weapons and storm bolters - so when the tide turns, and GK are no longer the powerhouse army, the OP can change and use the flavour of the month codex :)

One of the nicer qualities about making your own chapter is that you can use the same models with a variety of codexes :)

Legatho
27-01-2012, 21:03
c'mon guys it's funny to imagine corrupted gk.... in warhammer and 40k's worlds ALL is possible

Johnnya10
27-01-2012, 23:56
Do it, and don't listen to the naysayers! :) the 40k universe is a wide open expanse so create the army you want to create.

A box of possessed and whatever the grey knights use, mangle them together with lots of spikes and green stuff and have at those mangy loyalists!

xxRavenxx
28-01-2012, 01:00
My only comment is that the fanfic states that Kethorys dies with his followers. :) Break up the sentence so that it doesn't mention him as being included in the dying...

KronusDaSneaky
28-01-2012, 01:09
Ummm ............ is Fluff Rapist too stronger a word. I think we are certainly stretching the envelope of plausibility with this one. Generally I advise you to do as you like without consideration of Fluff rather then try to shoe horn something even more implausible then driago's ridiculous feats amongst the cannon fluff. That said I am sure the army would like pretty, go red with a paint scheme, looks great on evil GKs.

JManJump
28-01-2012, 06:16
I thought GK's could NOT be turned to Chaos at all. I think its a good conversion for a Chaos army but not much more than that sorry.

The Death of Reason
28-01-2012, 07:41
Nah, the whole 'Grey Knights are so pure, they **** silver'-shtick is just too bland. Just let them fall like everyone else :)

But I still think that basing them on another chapter, will give you more fun - or the chance to change codex, when the next powerhouse army relieves the GK :)

KronusDaSneaky
28-01-2012, 09:42
or the chance to change codex, when the next powerhouse army relieves the GK :)

Now thats a bad habit no one wants to encourage

ihavetoomuchminis
28-01-2012, 12:17

But it's probably the main reason to make a Chaos GK army with an unjustifiable fluff in the first place :P

KronusDaSneaky
28-01-2012, 12:34
But it's probably the main reason to make a Chaos GK army with an unjustifiable fluff in the first place :P

Too true sadly. Sadly its too be expected from time to time. I do wish people would be more open and admit to the fact though rather then try to shroud it in dubious fluff. I do not feel anyone should be restricted from using any codex they like in any manner they like as long as the units are modelled appropriately but some of the excuses i here for count as armies are unremittingly silly. I think the worst justification I have encountered was the fluff basis for using GK to represent world eaters. I ask myself ... if it makes no sense, why bother?

stroller
28-01-2012, 12:47
Hi I'm creating a chaos GK army

I stopped there. Don't do it. Have chaos if you want it and use the chaos codex. Have grey knights with a grey knihts codex. Do whatever you like - I'll never see them anyway. Take your pick. It's your game - have fun playing with it. Sounds like no fun to me. so I'll pass. Enjoy!

totgeboren
28-01-2012, 13:32
All my terminator models are based on GK terminators. I have only gotten compliments for them, so it's not a bad idea at all. Chaos Terminators are not too bad on the table either.
But yeah, like anyone would start a new chaos army and use the CSM codex for rules, that would just be stupid.
'Lolz for the Lol-god' and all that. :P

The Death of Reason
28-01-2012, 17:59

Why?

Marines are similar models, why wouldn't you make your own custom chapter, allowing you both to be creative in their modelling/colours, and take advantage of the fact that there are a gazilion marine variants and playstyles to try out :)

Fawful
28-01-2012, 21:24
I can't wait for the similar threads that will appear when the new chaos codex turns out to be really good :rolleyes:

Anyway if you want to go trough with this fluff abomination I'd use an inquisitor to unlock the various henchman and use those as a chaos cult. That way you could still build a nice alpha legion army. They are always in disguise either way.:shifty:

carnegiebear
28-01-2012, 22:30
on a related topic, would it be possible to have a renegade warband of GK, that have not fallen to chaos, but have simply become disillusioned with theimperium and decided to go their own way? it just occured to me that this might be a more acceptable than chaos gk

Righthandedtwin
28-01-2012, 22:35
on a related topic, would it be possible to have a renegade warband of GK, that have not fallen to chaos, but have simply become disillusioned with theimperium and decided to go their own way? it just occured to me that this might be a more acceptable than chaos gk

GK are literally brain washed....no not brain washed....MIND NUKED!! until they eat, sleep, breath, bleed and every cell of thier body exists solely to serve the Imperium and the Emperor...it's about the same chance finding a free lance GK brotherhood as you have of finding Orks who speak in a fine and stately oxford dialect.

HOGGLORD
05-02-2012, 07:18
I'd use an inquisitor to unlock the various henchman and use those as a chaos cult.

That was the plan, I didn't want too many actual GK's just a few as the elite force.
I've actually decided against the whole thing though, five GK's are 20.50! :wtf: That's a ridiculous amount for a standard troops choice. So for that reason I'm putting it on hold, might do it another time though.

Beppo1234
05-02-2012, 11:41
I can't wait for the similar threads that will appear when the new chaos codex turns out to be really good :rolleyes:

I can just see this now: SW, but using the Chaos Codex, GK, but using the Chaos Codex, BAs, but using the Chaos Codex...

Excessus
05-02-2012, 16:43
I can just see this now: SW, but using the Chaos Codex, GK, but using the Chaos Codex, BAs, but using the Chaos Codex...

IG, but using the Chaos codex... :shifty:

ihavetoomuchminis
05-02-2012, 19:29
All warseer full of threads called "Traitor IG army, need a little help!" and "Corrupted Space Wolves army, need a little help!" and "Blood thirst possessed BA army, need a little help", full of fluff aberrations and hard to swallow reasons to make those armies, while saying "i don't mind competitive games....."

popisdead
09-02-2012, 20:41
Chaos Grey Knights? Expect the fluff-police to attack you non stop on this. If you had a good idea, converted and themed it well, go for it though.