PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Most Unpopular Army In 40k

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 19:32
Now ive been thinking what is the least popular army in 40k is it orks,guard,marines,tyranids,eldar,dark eldar,tau,daemon hunters,wicth hunters,necrons or chaos.:confused:

if you have a idea wich it is please just tell us but dont say an army you dont like because you keep losing to them.:chrome:

so just tell us your ideas:D

Helicon_One
23-04-2006, 20:07
The most unpopular army is so unpopular that it didn't even make it on to your list!

Necrons. They seem to consistantly come out on top of 'which army do you hate the most?' topics, and its easy to see why. Limited unit and model range with some real stinkers thrown in, horrible shoehorned fluff ret-conning the C'Tan into every event in history, up to and including the JFK assassination, and a complete chore (as opposed to challenge, which would have been a Good Thing) to fight against.

Tim

darknar
i suppose dark eldar seam to be the lest popular, the models are not that great and they dont really appele to anybody. although they have a great list they just arnt that popular. although i have to say the hellion boards and the jetbikes and witchis are the best models in the army the rest are not up to scratch

Da Reddaneks
dark eldar hands down! i dont see how its even close. there are chapter approved artilces which have more players and receive more support from GW.

HPD_Andy
23-04-2006, 20:12
I vote Dark Eldar as well, but the poeple that do play them do so religously...and well.

damz451
23-04-2006, 20:15
i collect dark eldar >_> ..... granted the warriors and wyches are pretty crap but their vehicles look great and do great for conversions. Incubi are like striking scorpions except cooler. rules wise they do very good competatively Ravagers with 9 ap3 shots will hurt a tac squad or u can change them to 3 plasma cannon shots. Having the highest standard initiative as well as ws, bs skill also helps the basic troop choices stand out, and the Talos... omg a wraithlord with better cc ability for nearly half the points is just dam evil!.

I dislike necrons simply because every necron army iv seen has been essentially the same, 1 lith, 1 lordwith destroyer body, loads of warriors and a few heavy destroyers.

at least with dark eldar you have variaty, can be an amazing cc army or the best shooty army possible. just wished gw got off their asses and remade some of the models!

lee
23-04-2006, 20:17
dark eldar a bit sad really the army list is great. just bad models

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:24
they say incubi are striking scorpions but evil why dont they make them look totally diffrent rather then one with chainsword and shrieken pistol and one with a power spear:wtf:

aswell the thing i like about dark eldar is the shadow field it's cool but if you fail the 2+inv you cant use it again:D

another thing combat drugs they are like small psycic powers but there is a way that you wont die from them you can just roll 1 dice that way you wont get a double number!:chrome:

ArtificerArmour
23-04-2006, 20:25
space marines.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:27
space marines are the most popular because of newbies coz they are so easy to field:skull:

althathir
23-04-2006, 20:27
I think that there are two ways of answering this question 1) which army does everyone hate 2) the army the least people play.

1)its tie between Necrons and Eldar.
Necrons for thier rules, lack of units, and boring style of play
eldar for thier cheese (It's interesting be an eldar player who uses units like Dire avengers and swooping hawks and to see other eldar players reactions I honestly think they were disapointed in my list becasue it wasn't min-maxed which was a terrible reaction.

2) Dark Eldar (never got the support that they deserved releasing them with space marines at the start of third really did them a disservice.) and orks (while a decent amount of people play them its nothing compared to the amount of people that want to play them but the model range, old book. and the cost stop them before they even start)

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:31
i collect orks they are the best but when they realese the new dex all the new players will go for them from what people say some ppl say that an ork will go down to 6pt's each!!!!!!:skull:

but there machinery is going up in points(wich sucks!):chrome:

Robot 2000
23-04-2006, 20:33
6 points for an ork? unlikely to say the least, unless they turn them into big pansies.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:38
i know but it's what they are saying right now anyway you can just have an army of grots to shock your oponent with the sheer number of grots and slaverz you can fit into 1000pts lol nothing can stop them(unless you have a hell lot of barrage ord wepons or rapid fire and run all the time lol):skull: :chrome: :skull:

Overlord Krycis
23-04-2006, 20:39
I have played many Necron, Ork and Eldar players...however, I have yet to play a Dark Eldar army so I vote them as the least popular.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:41
dark eldar are so under estimated as there rules and wargear are the best but the model's are crap and are the thing that put ppl off them

Yorkiebar
Among veterans, Necrons. Among newbies and in the hobby overall, I'd say Dark Eldar.

Brush your teeth
well at my club there are no dark eldar players and just one ex-deamonhunter player so dark eldar get my vote

damz451
23-04-2006, 20:45
they say incubi are striking scorpions but evil why dont they make them look totally diffrent rather then one with chainsword and shrieken pistol and one with a power spear:wtf:

aswell the thing i like about dark eldar is the shadow field it's cool but if you fail the 2+inv you cant use it again:D

another thing combat drugs they are like small psycic powers but there is a way that you wont die from them you can just roll 1 dice that way you wont get a double number!:chrome:

Incubi are not Dark Eldar exactly, they dont have the habits or warlike habits as the Kabals have, its like the difference between space marines and imperial guard. Also Incubi have Splinter pistols implanted into their helmets and the punisher is far more effective than a chainsword.

if you fail a 2+ save with the lord with a 5+ save chances are he will die instantly.

you can take as many combat drugs as u want, you only loose a wound if u roll 2 1's, you die if you roll 3 1' (iirc)

dark eldar are extremely effective army, iv yet to loose a battle with them

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 20:46
there are 2 ppl who play dark eldar at my gaming club but no eldar or daemon hunters so i vote daemon hunters:skull: :chrome: :skull:

Toppan
23-04-2006, 20:53
well i want to play necrons whenever they get updated but id have to say that...space marines are the most unpopular
jk but yeah i think that orks are probably the most unpopular, or tied with DE...i love necrons they just need some more people or i need some more money...one of those
at least until the orks get their new codex and get overrun with newbies and shiz...god im going to cry on that day

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:02
:skull: lol same here when newb's come for ork's im going on strike lol:skull:

but i think necrons fighting style is always the same 1lith 1lord des body a few des and a load of warriors and most all play the same way stay back and shoot deep strike the monolith and hope you kill the anti-tank weapons

and necrons are so dull why cant some 1 brighten them up a bit like blue necrons lol jk but something rather then green and boltgun metal

:skull: wwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh:skull:

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:04
:skull: :chrome: have you ever noticed all newbs play ultra marines beacause they dont know how to paint anything else!:chrome::skull:

Norminator
23-04-2006, 21:09
Oi, as an Ultramarine player, I resent that comment!

I vote Dark Eldar for least played and worst overall, but the most boring and annoying army must be Necrons. I really hate playing my friend's necrons, as the battle's are always the same - neutrilize the heavy destroyers, take his army apart and wait for the monolith to deep strike. I far prefer playing Eldar, Space Marines, Tyranids... any other army really.

Havoc
23-04-2006, 21:13
Yeah it gets boring playing at me local GW seeing nothing but blue power armoured models, the only decent match I had was against a girl (Thats right a chick in a GW store playing 40k, and no the world didn't end) and she used a fluffy saim hann army, one of my favourite games that one.

The least popular I think has to be Dark Eldar and Eldar, with new models and new books against the older crappier versions seem to put off players from buying and collecting them.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:15
what i meant when i said about the ultramarines is in the hobby starter set they should put other colour schemes in the book you get in it as it only talks about ultramarines and how to paint them so a newb will think ok a space marine is always blue yellow and red eyes

im not sayin anything about ultra marines

Ironhand
23-04-2006, 21:23
There are two ways to answer this question. If you mean which army is the least-played, then I think it's probably the Dark Eldar.

If on the other hand you mean which army is the most disliked, it's probably the Space Marines. Just check out the number of posts on Warseer whining about Marines this or Marines that.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:31
maybe but i think more necrons are the most hated army in 40k coz the god dam things wont stay down with resserectional:chrome: :skull: :chrome:

Da Reddaneks
23-04-2006, 21:33
i know but it's what they are saying right now

just precisely who is "they"? the ork codex is a year and a half off. there are no real rumors about ork on this forum other than the BOV kit and release schedule. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if a basic ork boy was reduced to 6 points and i truly think a point reduction across the board for ork units should happen (as because of codex creep they are not overpriced for what you get) but that would be a 3 point (i.e. 50% reduction) in the cost of a slugga boy. It would be AWSOME but i doubt that. IF (and i reiterate IF) they reduce the price i would imagine it would be by only 1 or 2 points at most. Of course i have no basis for this other other than just speculation. Anyway, i truly truly truly hope you are right!

Anyway, is there any crediable source for your claim?

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:48
well everyone in bromley gw are saying they will be 6 pts or around that mark so its kind of a fair chance

mattjgilbert
23-04-2006, 21:48
Necrons boring? Always the same boring army... Not round here. I never field Monoliths or Res Orbs - Liths are too expensive below about 1800 points and Res Orbs are completely unnecessary and a waste of points.

Round our way I guess it's Dark Eldar or Orks but one of the guys just got a DE army together so we are left with Orks for someone to get.

mjc1000
23-04-2006, 21:52
i have four ppl who play orks at my club so i wouldnt mark orks down prob deamon hunters:chrome: :D :chrome: :skull:

sigur
23-04-2006, 22:16
Maybe it's a bit off-topic but it's rather disturbing how the popularity of an army changes when it get a new codex because GW is still not able to get rid of codex creep and they obviously don't plan to.

Currently, Dark Eldar really seem to be the least played army out there (not counting obscure army lists like craftworlds, chapters, etc.), followed by Orks and Eldar. At least for Orks and Eldar this will change within the next year. Finally.

If you look at 40k sans the miniatures and the background, just from the viewpoint of how popular the different armies are, 40k looks like a rather sad system.

@mjc1000: Please try to use proper english (including interpunction and capital letters) and avoid abbreviations as well as "text-" or "leetspeak". It makes your posts easier to read and people will take them more serious. And last, but by no means least, it goes better with the Warseer posting guidelines (Warseer FAQ, see the link in my sig).

Kahadras
23-04-2006, 22:37
I am going to go along with the whole Necron/Dark Eldar sentiment. The two races have had no where near enough time spent on developing them (rules wise, models wise or background wise). I think it reflects badly on GW in general that they have such a mismatched aproach to armies. Although Marines are their flagship line they don't balance the attention that the other armies get.

Kahadras

23rd elysian
23-04-2006, 22:51
It of course has to be dark eldar. However when played by someone who actually knows how to use them they are SO harsh. The trouble is a lot of their models look fairly poor and their list only really allows for two type of army....a good one or one thats already dead. Most people starting out cant work out the optimum list and so get disheartened when they are eaten alive. There is no variation, but as I said dont underestimate them in the right hands they are harsh.

My most hated army is the necrons...crap fluff, crap rules (very dismissive but I find it actually miserable fighting them, not because I cant beat them but the whole concept doesnt do it for me.)

athamas
23-04-2006, 22:52
unpopular as in use, those noted...

unpopular as in dont like facing!

MEQ's... they are everywhere!

it would not be a probem if they were here and there, but as its every other army has T4 and a 3+ save, it gets repetative!

it makes it almost easy to configure your army.. [just ecspect marines] and your tactics rarely change..

so its always nice to fight something that is MEQ...

Da Reddaneks
23-04-2006, 23:14
well everyone in bromley gw

what is a "bromley gw"? a bromley games workshop? are you meaning basically just some guy that wears a red shirt and works in a gw store?

well, i can tell you think mjc1000, if you are correct nothing would make me happier (40k wise that is) than to see a basic ork unit costing 6 points. orks have always suppose to have been a horde army and right now they are overpriced for what you get (a result as i said before of codex creep). with a Kroot costing 7 points and kroot hounds costing 6 and being darn near the same as an ork the best way to field an ork army is VERY UNFORTUNATELY to use kroot. that is a very sad statement indeed.

HeraldoftheGods
23-04-2006, 23:29
All these things are sadly true. I am never happier than when floating about laughing maniacly with my Dark Eldar, yet they seem to always get the brunt of it. Truely, they aren't that elite of an army. If even I can pick them up and (after a fair amount of time, granted) be good with them, then so too can almost anyone else.

Their problem is they don't have power armour, nor are they a cheap horde army, nor do they have tough tanks, or large amounts of uber killy stuff. They are an incredibly balanced army that rags the snot out of anybody that underestimates them. So come on people, don't just sit there complaining that the true Eldar (unlike their poncy craftworld bretheren) are an under-used army. Take the reins and grab hold of the coolest playing army in the game!

OT, but with the Orks, whether they eventualy cost 6pts or not, they are certainly in need of a points reduction. A foot slogging ork has bugger all chance to reach the other side of the board until the last few turns, and on the way he and his mates are dying in droves to little more than bolter fire. Hence why KoS is so popular.

Sekhmet
23-04-2006, 23:39
Necrons boring? Always the same boring army... Not round here. I never field Monoliths or Res Orbs - Liths are too expensive below about 1800 points and Res Orbs are completely unnecessary and a waste of points.

Round our way I guess it's Dark Eldar or Orks but one of the guys just got a DE army together so we are left with Orks for someone to get.

Yeah, Orbs if used with a VoD and Immortals should never really get used...

mjc - Everyone uses monoliths, destroyer lords and lots of warriors? That's interesting... cause I don't. o.o

Master Jeridian
24-04-2006, 00:13
6 pts Orks eh?

GW POV- "Makes em buy more Orks for same sized army, more moneys"
Player POV- "I already have to buy and paint twice as many Orks than if I had Marines, now I require more to compete...no chance."

I say give Orks the Fleet ability, for the most unfluffy, unlikely, hideously quick, ill-thought out fix- just like GW. And make the Big Shoota rending...

As for Most Unpopular Army- you need to be more specific. You've already stated you don't want Most Hated Army Because It Beats Me or Is Broken- so that rules out Iron Warriors, Seer Council, Siren, etc.

Most Unpopular Army to Use?

I have to go along with DE, I've only played against one DE player, but he definitely knew how to use his army- a case of few skilled players rather than many poor players.

Also Necrons, seem very cookie cutter. That's what you get when you only have one Troops choice with no upgrades or Sergeants, and one serious HQ choice (C'tan being 'special') with a mandatory wargear piece Res Orb. So you compulsory HQ and 2 Troops will be identical to every other Necron players. From there only Destroyers, Immortals, and Monoliths have any worth in a Necron army- everything else is just for fun.

Most Unpopular Army to Play Against?

Personally, IW's, Siren Prince, Seer Council...any army where the game is won or list weeks in advance when your opponent copies his list of a net forum.

Again, Necrons for predictability. Though their fluff is certainly interesting.

neXus6
24-04-2006, 00:20
Dark eldar are only unused cause their models suck so badly and GW decided to not do anything about it. The rules are pretty good, the background is fantastic, but when to make a good looking army you need to use Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Dark Elf bits and convert the whole thing generally people can't be bothered. :p

damz451
24-04-2006, 00:37
Their problem is they don't have power armour, nor are they a cheap horde army, nor do they have tough tanks, or large amounts of uber killy stuff. They are an incredibly balanced army that rags the snot out of anybody that underestimates them. So come on people, don't just sit there complaining that the true Eldar (unlike their poncy craftworld bretheren) are an under-used army. Take the reins and grab hold of the coolest playing army in the game!

well incubi are 3+ save units and tear through sm's in combat as they are essentially space marines with a power weapon and pistol and have a higher initiative that usually tears through terminator squads with ease.

In all the battles that i have fielded my Dark Eldar they have nearly obliterated the enemy by the 4th turn. The sheer speed of a mounted Dark eldar army is terryfying to the enemy, get a few reavers to distract heavy weapon squads or if ur rlly evil, get them to cover the exit hatches on transports then pop them which will kill all the people being carried (worked brilliantly when i turbocharged them to cover the hatches on a crusader, got a raider to fire at it, penetrated which forced the 8 assualt terminators to disembark and were then insta killed :D).

A ravager with 9 ap3 heavy bolters will make its points back in one round, give it pinning weapons and it will cripple a whole squad in a round easy. Talos are extremely underated, imagine a wraithlord that ignores terrain, has a possible 7 cc attacks and a 6 long ranged attacks, it is great against horde armies. Warriors are another great part of the army, stats that are nearly as good as marines except half the points and as long as your good their saves wont matter :D

The only drawback with dark eldar is that their Models are freaking horrible, warriors need conversion work to look nice, their vehicles are far too fragile to transport in a case however if ur good at converting it makes no difference as they can easily look great.

Now onto least popular, i dislike necrons, there like marines but even more boring :|

Thoth62
24-04-2006, 00:44
mjc - Everyone uses monoliths, destroyer lords and lots of warriors? That's interesting... cause I don't. o.o

And neither do most necron armies I've seen. The most effective army I've seen had a regular lord, warriors, immortals, regular destroyers, and wraiths. Good use of the army list, and a well rounded army that doesn't conform to what everybody always uses.

Sekhmet
24-04-2006, 00:45
I really don't know where you guys are getting the boring part of Necrons... they're an absolute blast to play as. They have to be one of the most mobile and resilient armies in the game. And what's more fun then rolling tons of dice for each shooty squad?

I think people hate Necrons because one of the worst feelings in the world is disappointment. You get disappointment when you think you've killed a few Necrons, and they stand up again. Disappointment kills!

damz451
24-04-2006, 01:24
i dnt think iv faced a necron that has actually gotten back up after going down, i just focuss my whole army on one squad at a time, usually finish the game in 2 turns which makes them pretty boring to fight against.

neXus6
24-04-2006, 01:27
I'd find Necrons boring cause they've got about 2 tactics and thats it. :p
I know others might like working with just one tactic, but I like the abillity to pull some variation if I want.

impending slaughter
24-04-2006, 01:29
Has everyone forgotten Kroot Mercs?! Ever played against them? No? Well there you go then :D They are by far the most unpopular army in 40k imo.

neXus6
24-04-2006, 01:31
Yes I have played against them. Yes they sucked, but thats probably more to do with the guy that was using them. :p

But really you can hardly count something that doesn't even have it's own army book.

damz451
24-04-2006, 01:34
Has everyone forgotten Kroot Mercs?! Ever played against them? No? Well there you go then :D They are by far the most unpopular army in 40k imo.

i think 4 ppl play them at my store

Sekhmet
24-04-2006, 01:38
i dnt think iv faced a necron that has actually gotten back up after going down, i just focuss my whole army on one squad at a time, usually finish the game in 2 turns which makes them pretty boring to fight against.

So they only field 2 squads? How big of a game do you play? :confused:

Jon_Irenicus
24-04-2006, 01:46
Interestingly (or not) what people consider the ´worst armies´ are the older ones, the ones that´ve seen the least spit and polish from GW.
I kinda like (thus, pity) Dark Eldar. So much potential. Oh well, maybe they´re going for a vintage type in a couple of years, and pull a squat.

I don´t frankly see what´s wrong with DE, apart from them needing a miniature revamp (and I am a big big fan of the DE warriors).

Most boring army? Meh. Maybe the less popular. Not the most boring.

Da Reddaneks
24-04-2006, 02:08
I say give Orks the Fleet ability, for the most unfluffy, unlikely, hideously quick, ill-thought out fix- just like GW. And make the Big Shoota rending...

interesting theory there but i hope they dont do that. i would much rather have the points reduction myself. i think that when the ork codex does come out eventually people needing to buy a few more boxes of boys to finish their army wont hesitate to do so. Orks are suppose to be THE horde army of horde armies. points reduciton helps with that. i, and i very well may be in the minority, dont want "better" orks, i want cheaper orks with more options.

rending big shoota will never happen. if the shuriken cannon is not going to get rending then there is no way the big shoota will. and honestly, the big shoota is really not a rending type weapon fluff wise anyway.

TheCimSaint
24-04-2006, 02:39
Least popular, in my experience in the Pac Northwest, are Dark Eldar as far as number of players. It really is no exageration to say that Marines are least popular though; even Marine players hate constantly playing Marines. And, as has been noted before, a lot of Marine players build really boring armies. I'd rather play the standard Necron than half-painted Ultras or Templars for the upteenth time.

Off Topic: As for the Orks, I like to think you're going to be seeing something more along the lines of Dawn of War; the base units suck, but are numerous while specialists are fairly tough and not as steep as other armies. Vehicles will be very light or very heavy; and I'd bet money that the average Boy finds that his chopper can't quite handle power armor like it used to.

-Saint

skuller
24-04-2006, 03:01
Where I play (Austin TX and Monterrey Mexico) never seen a kroot army... heck never seen a kroot deply to tell the thruth, or the 13th company other than that I have seen a deathwing, 2-3 dark eldar, a wych cult, speed freaks, 2-3 necrons, last chancers army.

Colonel_Kreitz
24-04-2006, 03:12
I have played 40K for about 6 years now. In that time, I have never played against a Dark Eldar player. Ever.

That pretty much settles them as the most unpopular army for me...

mattjgilbert
24-04-2006, 10:11
Also Necrons, seem very cookie cutter. That's what you get when you only have one Troops choice with no upgrades or Sergeants, and one serious HQ choice (C'tan being 'special') with a mandatory wargear piece Res Orb. So you compulsory HQ and 2 Troops will be identical to every other Necron players. From there only Destroyers, Immortals, and Monoliths have any worth in a Necron army- everything else is just for fun.You're not serious are you? Necrons are one of the most balanced lists. Any army can be made into "Beardy" one but for some reason people seem blinkered into doing this with Necrons. 'Crons can be a very fast mobile army, a gun line, or somewhere inbetween. The typical warrior with res orb block is just dull and not applying thought to the codex selections. The res orb is NOT mandatory. As stated, I never take it because I think it is the opposite - a waste.

Colonial Rifle
24-04-2006, 11:07
Mattjgibert, I respect your ability to use Necrons in a different way, but every Necron force I've played looks the same (veiled Immortals, etc, etc.)

The codex is not particularly balanced as there are far too many 'no-brainer units' - it's nearly as bad as Codex: Eldar! Things like Flayed ones and Wraiths are *ok*, but Destroyers and Immortals are so much better, why would you not want to use them? And then there is the monolith which seems to break everyrule going and certain armies have a snowballs hell chance of dealing with. No fun whatsoever.

I'm fortunate to have 3 DE players at my club and have fought them a fair few times. Raiders are real tricky to use now, but the list is still very viable. New minatures, more background and they are sorted.

Hoster
24-04-2006, 11:54
At our club the least played race would be Eldar or Ork. There is only 1 regular player of each of these races.

The least liked race is split between 2 popular races. The old timers of teh club are not too keen on Tau and don't think the flashy eastern sci-fi sits too well with the traditional western gothic universe.

The kids however all play Tau (and ultra-marines) and like to shoutdown imperial guard as being "rubbish". I think this may be something to do with the lack of ultra-killing characters or troop choices.

hivefleetcarrion
24-04-2006, 13:07
most unloved army, i would say de at this point... great list, but bad looking models(only thing stopping me from collecting them). unpopular army i would say necrons. if they made flayed ones a troops choice the army would have some choice, buts theys really not to much there. they really need 1-2 more units just for choice. though i do like the concept and models themselves

Eblis_Dead_Forever
24-04-2006, 13:31
Dark Eldar hands down no contest granted that I do know two dark eldar players both of which now play marines. I think thats it probably due to the fact that few people can play with them and those that do seem to have vastly similar tactics I don't think it has many options similar to the necrons. Although I must admitt that I have only ever seen a demon hunter army once and never a witch hunter one. The necrons are pretty boring to play with and against (the shortest battle I ever had was against them it lasted one turn and was ended by a single shot from a basalisk 27 dead necrons:evilgrin: ). I'm suprised no one has mentioned the cathachans:confused:

ss_cherubael
24-04-2006, 15:05
Ok this is a bit weird it seems like we have two discussions going on here, first lets deal with this idea of orks being 6pts... from GW's POV they get more money yeah, but they would rather make it on things like "how to paint space marines" (biggest load of BS ever) and mate just because a red shirt says something aint mean its true, hell red shirts usually have no idea whats going on so i think someone up at your store has been smoking a bit of the wacky tobaccy (man there is no pot head smilie that sucks).

Ok now onto what this post is actually about, the least popular army in Australia and New Zealand is Dark Eldar, now i have no problem with dark eldar and i think they might be the next army i collect, but ive been playing this game for over a decade and from when Dark Eldar were released to now i have seen only a handful of armies. That said most of those armies did unbelieveably well on the table top but the lack of good models really hurt them although you can do some of the best conversions with them.

As for the most hated army around that honour goes to our tincan friends the Necrons, from day one (when you got that free necron on the white dwarf cover=> at least in AUS we did) they have been an absolute bore to play with and against and i have done both to some length trying to find some spark of creativity with them but they always let you down. Also the point made about their fluff is true IT STINKS, they are tied into everything but it makes no sense that they should be, and the galaxy got on fine with out them so can we please go back to that. The idea of letting people use Gods in their armies is also absured, how is that fluffy why fight the imperium when they have one guy (night bringer) who can eat the suns of all the solar systems killing everything and then they have another god to laugh about it later on over beer. That makes no sense whatsoever what was GW thinking (thats right they didnt think).

ok thats me done feel free to tear this apart at your leisure.
PS: i dont think there is an army i havent played against that has a codex or chapter approved article, and before you ask yes i have played against a Death Company army and yes my guard did get ripped to shreds but thats life as a guardsman.

Master Jeridian
24-04-2006, 15:32
I was being very sarcastic with the Fleeting orks and Rending big shootas, I should have know better that sarcasm doesn't translate on the Net.

On closer inspection increasing the Ork horde is the most plausible way to get some of them across the battlefield alive.

As for Necrons- there will always be exceptions to the rule (and I'm not talking about the Necron Special Rules, it's second name is Codex: Exceptions for a reason), so there will always be those Necron armies without Res-orb or without Immortals.
But the rule is that the majority will have a Lord, Warriors, Immortals, supporting Destroyers. Some may have Monoliths, others may have more Destroyers. They all play the same, and are dull to play against.

I guess I can see how people can be annoyed at the way Necrons where shoehorned into every event in 40k history, but I like the idea of ancient battles of the Old Ones and the Stargods. Gives Eldar a much deeper background- explains why they exist, explains why Orks exist.

If anything the Tau are far worse for historical re-write- "Oh, a warp storm hid em from the Imperium", oh come on, I expect that from noobies explaining their army- not GW inventing a new race.

Sekhmet
24-04-2006, 16:25
Actually I guarantee all Necron armies have warriors... And all of them have a lord unless fielding a C'tan... :rolleyes: And I'd say after warriors and lords, they'd probably use immortals or destroyers or monoliths... wait, that's the majority of the army list. An argument like that is like saying: omg tau are so boring, they all have a commander in a battle suit and firewarriors!!! :chrome:

Zzarchov
24-04-2006, 16:47
See, Orks (as an Ork player) really aren't that bad off. The problem is people try and play them as a giant footslogging swarm, and then wonder why they are out manuevered.

Orks strength has always been in their vehicles, since RT days and it hasn't changed. Get an Ork codex and look at their vehicle upgrades and compare them to imperial ones.

You can play a great ork army with no vehicles, you can play a great tau army with no vehicles too, but if the other side brings vehicles he will be able to outmanuever and crush you in a "Wartrakk Rumble/ Fish of Fury" textbook manuever.

mjc1000
24-04-2006, 16:52
I think that they will lower orks slugga boyz to 8pts and shoota boyz to 7 points each 1pt reduction on each.:skull: :chrome: :skull:

I'm not entirely sure though so please quote me if I'm wrong:chrome:

gathering_darkness
24-04-2006, 17:00
two words.. Dark Eldar

mjc1000
24-04-2006, 17:05
Well so far it has been a tie between Dark Eldar:skull: and the tin can Necons.:chrome:

Now i have a question if your a Marine, Wicth Hunter, Imperial Guard player have you ever lost to Daemon Hunters?:eyebrows:

Justicar_Freezer
24-04-2006, 20:45
Hmm I play pure Grey Knight Demon Hunter force and I think it is one of the most unpopular armies. I say this because it is very hard to simply pick up and play. On the outside they might seem like shiny marines but if someone approaches them with that idea they will soon find out just how wrong they are. They don't appeal to new players because they have no "tanks" of their own except the land raider and they are seriously lacking in the heavy weapons department unless a dreadnought is taken. They also have no transports. Sure squads can teleport in but a transport for a marine is more reliable then teleporting I believe.
Now before people tear my ideas apart saying there are other units in the codex for a reason. I know this. I simply play pure Grey Knights for fluff reasons. Back in second edition there where no inquisitorial storm troopers, or death cult assassins, and demon hosts. Instead there where Grey knight terminators and Inquisitors. Since I hate inquisitors in the newest edition I chose to limit myself to Grey Knight only units and to be honest at the end of the game I may only have my HQ and two terminators left sometimes a dread if I'm lucky but the other player is in a world of hurt.

dioscuri
24-04-2006, 21:19
Just look at the new releases for the Medusa campaign, nothing for Dark Eldar or Necrons. GW doesn't seem to want to make the unpopular any more popular; their marketing desisions only provide for the armies with the most love, poor Dark Eldar..... (stuff you tin man!)