PDA

View Full Version : New to 40K; just bought Black Reach

dumbib92
29-01-2012, 09:04
Hi, I recently got assault on black reach. I have yet to play a game and wondered if there was any advice anyone could give me. Thank you very mucH.

Bunnahabhain
29-01-2012, 12:05
Hi, I recently got assault on black reach. I have yet to play a game and wondered if there was any advice anyone could give me. Thank you very mucH.

1) Play the Marine side. They have more points- the 'bigger' army, and are easier to play for a beginner, thanks to their stat line and special rules. If you can, find an Ork player to trade the spare Orks with ( or if you want to play orks, trade the marines...)

2) Look at the rules, and then make sure you play a few games with someone who knows them, to learn most of the rules, and get a feel for how the game plays.

3) Tactically, focus your efforts- don't try and hurt a unit with one unit, kill it with three- of course, if you have a very powerful unit taking on a weak one, you don't need the supporting units..
Think about your order of operations -i.e. use anti tank fire to blow open a transport, then use small arms to kill the contents. Have one of your units shoot an enemy one to weaken it, so when your second unit charges in, it will win.

4) Remember your mission. If is to take objectives, take as many as you can, and try to deny the enemy the rest. If it is kill points, make sure you finish off units, and hide your own if they're crippled. Don't get distracted.

5) Make sure you have a table of a sensible size, and about 25% terrain (do fill 1/4 of the table with terrain, then spread it out. If you don't have enough, rocks from the garden, tin cans with the labels soaked off, or similar free terrain helps hugely). People get very odd ideas over what works if the table is so narrow anybody can get charged on turn 1, or there is no cover at all, or such like...

EDIT.
6) It is a proven fact, that painted models perform at least 20% better in game*. Especially for marines, a can of coloured undercoat, and blocking in a few major bits, like their weapons, does wonders. You can always go back and tidy them up, add more detail, etc, later.

* except their first use, when they are cursed,