PDA

View Full Version : The Fellowship models

Lester
29-01-2012, 22:47
Anyone has a picture to compare the Fellowship models from the Moria boxed set and the Metal/Finecast boxed set?

Noobie2k7
29-01-2012, 22:49
I have the old metal box still at my nans, not painted or put togather yet from years and years ago, got a gwaihir too lol. Couldn't you find the models pics online?

Lester
29-01-2012, 22:53
I have the old metal box still at my nans, not painted or put togather yet from years and years ago, got a gwaihir too lol. Couldn't you find the models pics online?

I searched for the Moria ones and all pictures are either too little or with average/bad paint jobs on so I can't judge the sculpts well.

Noobie2k7
29-01-2012, 22:56
don't GW still have them on their site? I haven't looked. I know they still sell them, unless the one in my local store is a left over.

Lester
29-01-2012, 23:29
don't GW still have them on their site? I haven't looked. I know they still sell them, unless the one in my local store is a left over.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat750004a&prodId=prod1140216
No good close ups. :/

decker_cky
29-01-2012, 23:47
Plastic fellowship:

Finecast fellowship has some good pictures here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1230150a

The plastic fellowship is passable, but it pales in detail to the finecast fellowship. The price reflects that though. I started with the mines of moria, and later got the metal fellowship (cheap off ebay), and don't regret taking that path. If you keep your eyes open, there's lots of different poses too, several of which are no longer available which you might prefer.

Noobie2k7
29-01-2012, 23:48
Ah, sometimes they're really good with showing their sculpts and sometime they don;t show any pics of them at all. It gets kind ogf annoying when i;d rather see what the sprues look like than when the models painted :P

Shamutanti
30-01-2012, 01:31
The Mines of Moria Fellowship are unfortunately quite bad. I've not even seen the Eavy Metal team make them look good. Go for the finecast ones. The ones in the fine cast range were also hand picked as the 'best sculpts' from the available lot and I tend to agree with their choices.

Lester
30-01-2012, 01:47
Is this the same set as the Finecast ones but in metal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Rings-Pewter-Miniatures-/220943369852

Whitwort Stormbringer
30-01-2012, 02:27
Is this the same set as the Finecast ones but in metal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Rings-Pewter-Miniatures-/220943369852

From the looks of it that is the original metal Fellowship boxed set, some of which are the same as the current finecast set and some of which are different.

If memory serves correctly, it's the same Gandalf the Grey, Boromir, Merry, Pippin, and Sam but the other 4 are different. Gimli and Legolas in the original metal set are in similar sort of stock poses (Gimli with his two-handed axe, Legolas with bow lowered and reaching into his quiver) but neither has an elven cloak. Rather than his foot on a rock and sword raised, Aragorn is standing with a wide stance and both arms oustretched, sword pointing directly to the side. Frodo is more like the other hobbits - wearing his jacket and with Sting drawn.

In that eBay listing you can kind of make out the different poses. On the top row they are (from left to right) Gandalf, Legolas, Boromir, and Aragorn. The two compartments on the lower right would have the hobbits and Gimli, but I can't tell who's who.

All in all there are lots of different versions of almost all of the Fellowship characters, I was at Warhammer World a few years back and I believe there were 12 different Aragorn models standing side-by-side, all in different poses. The nice thing is that for the most part any of them can be used with any profile, so you can pick and choose which Fellowship models you like best and you can use the others for conversions, captains, etc.

ForgottenLore
30-01-2012, 03:01
The Mines of Moria Fellowship are unfortunately quite bad. I've not even seen the Eavy Metal team make them look good. Go for the finecast ones. The ones in the fine cast range were also hand picked as the 'best sculpts' from the available lot and I tend to agree with their choices.

I disagree. I think the plastic fellowship are more than adequate and can't imagine paying 5-6 times as much for other versions. Yes, the metal/finecast versions are going to be better, but not THAT much better and not noticeably so when looking at them from 2 feet away on the table top.

If you can get the metal fellowship for $20, then sure, go for it, but I, personally, wouldn't spend much more than than.

The Marshel
30-01-2012, 08:29
from the perspective of a fan and a decent miniature painter, the mines of moria fellowship is very poor. its fine for gaming, but if what you want is the fellowship for the sake of having a really nicely painted fellowship on display, one of the other sets will serve you better.

Noobie2k7
30-01-2012, 08:40
I might go pick up my old metal fellowship if it's actually worth something.