PDA

View Full Version : item question/bret related

Lance Tankmen
30-01-2012, 08:51
my friend has a Empire general with a lance, and it occurred to me he cant use the lance if he takes a magic weapon, but bretonnians (which i am) can. But i was wondering if i take a magic weapon for example like the sword of battle which "the wielder has +1 attack", do i have to use the sword to give me the bonus +1 attack? or can i use the lance on the charge and have +1 attack and +2 str?

T10
30-01-2012, 10:22
You are asking if a Bretonnian character can use a magical weapon and the lance at the same time when charging?

-T10

Lance Tankmen
30-01-2012, 11:27
no, and yes, im saying do i have to use the sword to get the +1 attack? or can i use a lance on the first charge and get the +1 attack? since it doesnt say i have to attack with it to get the effects.... just the guy holding it has +1

T10
30-01-2012, 12:17
Ah, yes. It is commonly held that the properties of the magical weapon comes into play when the model is using it - i.e. when resolving its close combat attacks. Of course, some weapons muddy this a bit. The Shrieking Blade gives a model the Fear special rule, an effect that really can't be said to be intrinsic to the process of hitting an enemy over the head.

Most players would probably say "No!" and when pressed to answer "Why?" would answer "Just because!"

-T10

Wesser
30-01-2012, 12:36
my friend has a Empire general with a lance, and it occurred to me he cant use the lance if he takes a magic weapon, but bretonnians (which i am) can. But i was wondering if i take a magic weapon for example like the sword of battle which "the wielder has +1 attack", do i have to use the sword to give me the bonus +1 attack? or can i use the lance on the charge and have +1 attack and +2 str?

I can guarantee you the following for a bret char with lance and magic weapon (not magic lances):

1. When charging he MUST use the lance even if he'd rather use his magic weapon.

2. In subsequent rounds or if he's charged the lance would just count as handweapon, so he MUST use his magic weapon.

3. To have an effect the weapon must be wielded. Shrieking blade only works if the character is using it. So when charging he does not cause fear.

Lance Tankmen
30-01-2012, 12:47
jw i dont use the bret lord model with a lance just a curious thought

T10
30-01-2012, 14:02
The lance does not "count as a hand weapon" in 8th edition. Instead, the model's hand weapon is used when the lance is not. I seem to recall a thread going on at length on this subject some time back.

Artinam
30-01-2012, 14:27
Bretonnian rules specify that you switch to the magical weapon (when charging) after the first round of combat.
Another exception is that a Bretonnian will keep using his magical lance in all rounds of combat.