PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mephiston

MikeyB
30-01-2012, 15:36
I love the character, love the back ground and I want to use him in my Ba army.

But

No independent character and no invulnerable save makes jack a dull boy! So short of having him hover near a Sanguinary priest what's the best way of using him?

wyvirn
30-01-2012, 15:43
You do know he's more survivable than a basic Hive Tyrant, right?

Put him behind a squad to give him a 4+ cover. He's tough enough to shrug off anything but antitank rounds, which the Sanguinary Priest wouldn't help with.

Noobie2k7
30-01-2012, 15:53
Have him plod along behind a rhino or land raider until he's close enough to just Wings his way into an assault he will butcher any and everything in and then repeat. It's just about always having him positioned with a tank in between him and whatever big nasty shooty death that is likely to kill him, and just using Wings of sanguinius to swoop within massacre range.

MikeyB
30-01-2012, 16:00
Yeah I figured he'd have to hide, it just seem such an unheroic tactic for him :( Mephiston should be leading from the front not cowering at the back >:(

trigger
30-01-2012, 16:06
Put him in a storm raven

http://www.badwargamers.co.uk/

Narf
30-01-2012, 16:42
put him near the front, charging infront of a land raider with a priest in!

Let him take bolters, plasma, melta and lasconnon to the face!

He will survive alot, and you can always FNP the bolter shots that get through.

And whilst your opponenet is wasting 2/3rd of his shooting on him, waddle the termi's out of the landraider to bash there heads in!

Bunnahabhain
30-01-2012, 17:14
Yeah I figured he'd have to hide, it just seem such an unheroic tactic for him :( Mephiston should be leading from the front not cowering at the back >:(

Heroes are those that accomplish something heroic, idiots die trying to be heroic. You can be a hero and use cover.

Noobie2k7
30-01-2012, 17:17
I love Mephiston too, but lat time i tried using him he died turn 2 to lots of concentrated firepower. The rest of my army mamaged to wander up there pretty much unscathed though, but i mean if i wanted that to happen i would have just brought 2 furioso dreads with blood talons for the same price and they might have lasted longer.

Chem-Dog
30-01-2012, 18:16
Have him joined by a Junior member of the Librarius With Shield of Sanguinius.

Or Storm-Raven him in. Like a Boss.

Noobie2k7
30-01-2012, 18:19
He is the only reason i run a storm raven in my 2k points list. He must wonder sometimes why no-one else wants to share with him.

Askari
30-01-2012, 18:20
The same way people who use Daemon Princes and Hive Tyrants get by, using a bit of tactics.

MikeyB
30-01-2012, 22:59
The same way people who use Daemon Princes and Hive Tyrants get by, using a bit of tactics.

Comments like this are uncalled for. If i knew the tactics to use i wouldn't have started this thread.

He is the only reason i run a storm raven in my 2k points list. He must wonder sometimes why no-one else wants to share with him.

Yeah its weird that. Shining beacon of hope for the chapter that the thirst can be overcome...but no one likes him O.o I take it then you cant put a squad and Mephiston in the same transport even though it has the capacity? Or am i reading too much into this? :S

wyvirn
31-01-2012, 00:00
Well, one does not become a Lord of Death by wasting time on petty things like showers.

trigger
31-01-2012, 00:03
Yeah its weird that. Shining beacon of hope for the chapter that the thirst can be overcome...but no one likes him O.o I take it then you cant put a squad and Mephiston in the same transport even though it has the capacity? Or am i reading too much into this? :S

It is not no one likes him , he no longer sees himself as the shining beacon , not after the chat with a deamon.
Self doubt for a space marine is z bad thing

GrimZAG
31-01-2012, 00:38

Not if you want him alive. I usually hug cover with my Daemon Prince until he is close enough to assault some enemy unit. People always want to shoot the big killy HtH monster flying at them.

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 01:48
Not if you want him alive. I usually hug cover with my Daemon Prince until he is close enough to assault some enemy unit. People always want to shoot the big killy HtH monster flying at them. I know right. Strange that :P They're supposed to assult me with the shooty stuff anf shoot me with the assaulty stuff not the other way around.

agurus1
31-01-2012, 02:54
lol I thought this was another "how do I kill him?!!!0101010010011111?" thread

seriously though, when I was running my DoA army I would use him as a magnet for all of my opponent's shooting. Honestly he is really hard and immune to ID to anything but force weapons, so honestly just Wings him up into your opponent's face and while he is freaking out about Mephiston the rest of your army is advancing unscathed, and if he doesn't try to knock out the Lord of Death, well then he has a gore-party in his front ranks.

Narf
31-01-2012, 07:56
Have him joined by a Junior member of the Librarius With Shield of Sanguinius.

Or Storm-Raven him in. Like a Boss.

alas he is a single non ic model, so cant join or be joined by anything else, including an Ic, so its alone, in a tank, or behind something to move him around the board, never ever attached to something.

MikeyB
31-01-2012, 11:08
It would appear I am worrying about nothing ^_^ Cheers guys :)

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 11:13
Mephiston is indeed one of the most powerful SCs in 40K in my opinion. He's just damn mean.

orkmiester
31-01-2012, 12:06
Mephiston is indeed one of the most powerful SCs in 40K in my opinion. He's just damn mean.

*Yawns*

yes when is in combat that is- otherwise he dies pretty quickly, hmmm i cannot remember whether he has eternal warrior or not, if he doesn't then you know what will happen- one GK squad with the charge and its all over:shifty:

though in my experience in facing him, he needs protection to get to the enemy line. Then that dilemma rears its head- shoot mephi or the transports. Shame our BA player has bad luck when it comes to us busting his transports in short order:rolleyes:.

it then becomes a game of 'shoot mepi' to which guard and Dark Eldar are well suited (he didn't like splinter weapons or Dark lances, which had run out of targets:p)

to be frank two Daemon princes are far harder to deal with and the other week a pair killed him in close combat, with all those bungled dice rolls involved, that was funny:D

:angel:

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 13:15
These days if i ever have the urge to run mephiston these days i slap myself in the face and run 2 furioso dreads instead.

Chem-Dog
31-01-2012, 18:47
alas he is a single non ic model, so cant join or be joined by anything else, including an Ic, so its alone, in a tank, or behind something to move him around the board, never ever attached to something.

Far as I understood it he could be joined by an IC as he's simply a 1 model unit....
He doesn't get used much round my way a lot though Astaroth and Sanguinor seem to be flavour of the month.

trigger
31-01-2012, 18:58
Far as I understood it he could be joined by an IC as he's simply a 1 model unit....
He doesn't get used much round my way a lot though Astaroth and Sanguinor seem to be flavour of the month.

Nope single model units can nit be joined by nout ( unless they are IC )

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 18:59
Astaroth and Dante or round here. The only time ive seen The Sanguinor used was with Dante and it was actually a pretty mean army list. Just sanguinary guard and storm raven spam.