PDA

View Full Version : 2k High Elves

elcoggins
30-01-2012, 19:31
I alwasy seem to have a problem with high elves, I have only ever had one true win with this army even though having looked at my lists, they look solid. Here is an example list i have used but is there anything which i can improve upon it

Lord
Archmage (Folariaths robes, Tali of prtection, lvl 4)

Hero
Caradryan

Mage (lvl 2, hex scroll)

Core
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers
20 Spearmen (full command)

Special
22 Pheonix Guards (full command)
18 White Lions (full command)

Rare
Bolt thrower

What i did when i used this list was used the archmage in with the pheonix guards as a buffer to stop most forms of magical attacks on them, caradryan was also in with this squad giving them a massive buff.

I believe i put the other mage somewhere at the back with the archers.

Is this list any good? this is definatly one of the better ones that i have used especially as the hex scroll can nullify an enemy wizard.

Nocculum
30-01-2012, 20:31
Hi there.

My first and foremost thought is to drop a unit of ten archers and invest the points freed through doing so to improve the size of the spearmen unit, wither to 25 with a banner or to the maximum size allowed.

Which lores do you intend to use with your mages?

elcoggins
30-01-2012, 20:58
Whoops forget to mention that.

the smaller mage would take high magic, whilst the the archmage would use lore of fire

Nocculum
30-01-2012, 21:21
Excellent.

In which case, I'd drop the high mage to level one, and use Dispel Magic at the end of the magic phase.

I have to ask why the Lore of Fire? Not because I think there's a better option, I'm just curious really. I'm a new player to High elves in 8th so I'm learning and imparting advice with the same motion.

elcoggins
30-01-2012, 21:39
i have always prefered the direct damamge that you can gain from lore of fire. To me that is always the safe option, though i must admit lores of life and metal are other choices that i would really take. But they would depend more on situations in my mind

Bloody Nunchucks
31-01-2012, 00:08
take life with your lvl 4. seriously, its awesome. and tack on the silver wand so you get all the spells you want.

drop a unit of archers and add to the spears, someone above said it and i agree.... 20 spears wont due much but 35 will make someone think before they charge with another core unit.

drop the bolt thrower and take two eagles, they can kill opponents WM's and can take on some units light cavalry and skirmishers.

i would also drop your scroll, as that is a one spell negating item, take the annulian crystal, it creates a two dice change every magic phase of your opponents.....it can really handicap them.

cadyryan.......use him if you really want two, but korhil is stubborn and has better close combat skills.......he works better in phoenix guard then cadyryan does lol, course cadyryan works better in a WL unit then korhil does so idk.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
31-01-2012, 06:03
I alwasy seem to have a problem with high elves, I have only ever had one true win with this army even though having looked at my lists, they look solid. Here is an example list i have used but is there anything which i can improve upon it

Lord
Archmage (Folariaths robes, Tali of prtection, lvl 4)

Hero
Caradryan

Mage (lvl 2, hex scroll)

Core
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers

Special
22 Pheonix Guards (full command)

Rare
Bolt thrower

What i did when i used this list was used the archmage in with the pheonix guards as a buffer to stop most forms of magical attacks on them, caradryan was also in with this squad giving them a massive buff.

I believe i put the other mage somewhere at the back with the archers.

Is this list any good? this is definatly one of the better ones that i have used especially as the hex scroll can nullify an enemy wizard.

IMO the problem I see with your list is that it trying to be good at everything but not overpowering at anything (jack of all trades but master of none). In WFB it's hard to do well at everything (especially for a high Elf army) so it best to excel at 2 of the 3 combat phases and doing decent enough not to get smashed in the third one. So do you want this list to excel at shooting & close combat, shooting & magic, or close combat & magic?

Since the HE Archmage is taking Lore of Fire & the 2nd Lvl. Mage is taking High Magic I would suggest trying for a shooting force backed up by units of close combat capable special units that lets the shooting units do their job.

For example:

Lords & Heroes:
4th Lvl. Archmage (Fire): Folariath's Robes, Guardian Phoenix, & Jewel of Dusk: 345 pts.
Caradryan: 175 pts.
2nd Lvl. Mage (High Magic): Seerstaff of Saphery: 165 pts.
Spell Suggestions: Flames of the Phoenix & Curse of Arrow Attraction

Core:

20 Archers with full command with Banner of the Eternal Flame: 255 pts.
20 Archers with full command: 245 pts.

Specials:

19 Phoenix Guard with full command: 315 pts.
5 Dragon Princes: 150 pts.
5 Dragon Princes: 150 pts.

Rare:

2x Bolt Throwers: 200 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

So basically this example list is geared toward offensive spell casting and shooting. It's a little light in terms of magic defense but you can switch out the Jewel of Dusk for a Scepter of Stability for dispel insurance or the Jewel of Dusk & the Seerstaff of Saphery for an Annulian Crystal/Sigil of Asyuran & Dragonbane Gem for the 2nd. Lvl. Mage if needed. Curse of Arrow Attraction & Flames of the Phoenix will help with taking care of lightly armored horde units while the Archmage can concentrate on blasting or buffing as needed.

The Phoenix Guard & Dragon Princes are there to take care of any units that happens to break through your shooting attacks. I would place the Archmage & Caradryan in with the PG unit so you can give them a 7x3 frontage for maximum close combat attacks and the 2nd. Lvl. Mage with one of the Archer units or in close proximity of them. If the DPs small numbers doesn't seem to work for you can exchange them for 2 units of either 10 Swordmasters (for more close combat killing power) and/or 10 White Lions (hard hitting unit that can tie up medium size units due to their stubborn ability with some surviability against shooting attacks).

If you really want to crank up the "heat" so to speak then I'd suggest trading in one of the DP units for an extra RBT (or 2 Great Eagles if you need charge blockers/redirectors) and give the PG unit the Banner of Sorcery for extra Power Dice in the magic phase.

I hope that helps.

elcoggins
31-01-2012, 10:10
I will definatly try this one out.

Though i agree my list does try to cover everything, but then again I am more of a seasoned 40k player in which i am used to catering for everything.

I have only recently started using eagles and i must admit they have surprised me with how good they are, currently only used them in a couple of battles but both times they have outperformed my expectations. Bolt throwers have alwasy been my steady standard when it comes to high elves as i have had some major successess with them (taking out a unit of chaos knights for one).

One idea i am playing on is using a dragon more often. I know in the latest edition this is very hard due to the points restrictions but dragon mages lately have worked quite well for me with the dragon tearing through any flank and then getting off a flank charge

FireDragonExarch
01-02-2012, 09:20
Personally, I want to have a Dragon in 2000pts but its very hard to work around as if you wanted the best Star Dragon with a Prince then its base pts is 510 (I think), and this leads me to proxy my dragon as a weaker one such as sun dragon or even moon dragon in certain cases, but until i reach 2000pts I can't use the advantage of a Dragon in my army.

elcoggins
01-02-2012, 13:10
Indeed it is hard to work around. Even if you choose to use a moon dragon, you will only have enough points left in lords to only equip him with another 50pts worth of items. In my most recent battle, i used a dragon mage which basiclaly ripped though the flank of my friend, but he had a lucky roll on the turn i charged and managed to hold (damned insane courage). Therefore it seems that you can only start getting effective lists when you go up to 3k points which most people in my club dont use as it takes too long

Kahadras
03-02-2012, 00:30
Lord
Archmage (Folariaths robes, Tali of protection, lvl 4)

Hero
Caradryan

Mage (lvl 2, hex scroll)

Core
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers

Special
22 Phoenix Guards (full command)

Rare
Bolt thrower

I'd advise having a tweak or two to try to to get some more stuff into you army. I think that your character choices are fine. The Archmage and Mage should turn out a good magic phase and Caradryan is a really solid hero. I'd look to save some points by cutting back on magic items though; Robes and Talisman are a bit much IMHO and I'd advise dropping one (or both). I'd also drop the Hex scroll as well from the Mage. This should free up nearly 100 points (more if you drop all three).

With your core I'd merge the archer units together as I've found that 10 just get shot up rather easily. I'd look to invest a few points in getting the Spearmen up by a few more models as well. Maybe merge two units of archers together to make a unit of 20 and turn the other unit into another 10 Spearmen. The Special choices are fine but I might knock the Phoenix Guard down to 20 models and run them as a 7x3 unit (with Caradryan).

With these saved points I'd look to get an Eagle or two and the Banner of Sorcery with either the White Lions or the Phoenix Guard.

Kahadras

FireDragonExarch
03-02-2012, 12:30
What does the banner of sorcery do?

elcoggins
03-02-2012, 12:41
I believe that one adds d3 dice to your magic pool though of the top of my head I can't remember if it us in both players turns

Kahadras
03-02-2012, 13:46
It add D3 power dice to your pool so it only works in your turn. It usualy equals up to getting off another spell than usual in each magic phase (unless you max out your dice on your initial winds of magic roll). An average rolls will usualy see you have 7 dice with your opponant generating between 4 and 6. Banner of Sorcery can strech this to 8 to 10 versus 4 to 6 (ignoring channeling). Running with a Life Archmage with Silver Wand (for example) will net you a decent amount of good spells which can be cast on a 8 or 9.

A Throne of Vines on 2d6 to start with will force your opponants hand as if you get it off all of your other spells will become more powerful. I'd then try to get off Earth Blood or Flesh to Stone again on 2d6 . If your opponant hasn't tried to dispel Throne of Vines then these spells become even better. If your opponant decides not to counter either of these spells then you can look at the magic phase having been a success. I'll then chuck a couple of dice at putting another augement spell onto another unit. This should have used up 6 dice from your pool. If my opponant has a decent amount of magic I'll then switch to using the High magic Mage. If I have a 2 Dice left I'd go for Dispel Magic to make it harder for my opponant to cast in his phase. If I have an uneven amount of dice I'll try a cheeky Shield of Saphery on a single dice (has a 1 in 3 chance of failing but is worth the risk IMHO and you can always switch back to your Archmage and throw your remaining dice into another spell rather than finnishing with Dispel Magic)