PDA

View Full Version : Why Is White Dwarf Being Stingy With 40k?

Tak
31-01-2012, 01:28
I'm getting REALLY hacked off with how much White Dwarf Magazine is neglecting us 40k fans over the past months in favour of Fantasy and LoTR!

It seem that the magazine team is taking 40k very much for granted and keeps giving us piddly little articles to keep us going whereas Fantasy and LoTR fans are getting the royal treatment month after damn month, and I'm sick to the back teeth with it!

40k batreps are always tiny 1500pt affairs while good old Fantasy regularly get twice that amount. Can you remember when White Dwarf celebrated the Fantasy 25 year milestone? It was practically front to back Fantasy which was understandable but when it comes to 40k's 25 year anniversary it's nowhere near as in depth.

A case in point: look at how the Necron Codex issue compares with the Vampire Count issue and the 40k versus Fantasy front covers, and thats just for starters!

I paid a not inconsiderable sum of money for a years subscription and all that they seem to be bothered about is anything BUT 40k. In case it isn't obvious yet, yes I am a 40k nut, I like my Sphess Marines and teh Inquisition and I look back fondly at the 3000pt batreps that they used to have along with background articles that were there just for the hell of it (sigh...Index Astartes) plus short stories by people like The Dan (Abnett of course, The Fall Of Molvolian was one such awesome story), but now we would be lucky if we got a couple of pages of quality 40k stuff that wasn't just about pushing some new line of figures or some such other shameless marketing.

I understand that it is a business but to neglect a portion of their fanbase in this way is just downright disrespectful to the very people who make this business flourish.

SORT IT OUT WHITE DWARF!!!

I know that I'm far from being alone in this opinion and I hope that things will change and sooner rather than later!:mad:

Inquisitor Kallus
31-01-2012, 01:36
LOTR has barely had anything for over a year.

Beppo1234
31-01-2012, 01:40
it goes in cycles. I'm sure 40k will dominate WD over the late spring and summer months... the LOTR will begin to take a lot of room come the winter.

Kamenwati
31-01-2012, 01:41
Yes, but on the flip side 40k has figured prominently in White Dwarf for many years previously and in their model/army release has until recently tended to be more more frequent as well. So just be patient, Fantasy had an edition change rather recently so it's getting more attention which it needs. 40k will get it's limelight back soon enough if the rumors of a summer 6th edition release occurs.

Tak
31-01-2012, 02:05
I really don't think that going in such large time cycles is very fair on anyone though. Why can't they be more 50/50 in order to keep everyone happy? It really does feel as though they just can't be bothered with 40k ever since the issue that launched the new Fantasy rule book which was quite some time ago now. Any new 40k release (codex wise) that has been since this time has had a feel of being glossed over in a way that completely lacks enthusiasm, especially when compared to Fantasy releases which have passion dripping from the pages. I don't see how this can be seen as acceptable.

Doesn't anyone agree with me that it would be nice to see some more 40k content in there?

Voss
31-01-2012, 02:07
Doesn't anyone agree with me that it would be nice to see some more 40k content in there?

I don't. I think they should just close up shop on the rag, and put out more game products.
Whats in WD affects me just as little as whats in the latest issue of Fashion Victim Monthly.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
31-01-2012, 03:00
40k has had plenty of attention in the past, and that will probably be the case again when 6E hits. LotR's been largely ignored as long as I've been in the hobby, and I remember a time when the focus was almost completely on 40k, and Fantasy was less prominent. It comes and goes. Besides, I wouldn't want to see WD entirely focused on 40k, as I like Fantasy too, and there are even people who (shockingly :rolleyes:) prefer Fantasy, LotR, or both to 40k, and I don't want to listen to them complain.

Disturbed Frog
31-01-2012, 03:18
I'm a 40k player and have a 2 year subscription so yes I'm sick of the non stop fantasy train that white dwarf has been recently! I'de much rather if white dwarfs layout article wise (not new releases) was 50/50 40k and fantasy and maybe once a month 50% Lotr 50% one of the others. I do enjoy reading fantasy stuff so I wouldn't like to see endless pure 40k but I don't want the pure fantasy with 40k tid bits either.

The Death of Reason
31-01-2012, 05:29
I understand that it is a business but to neglect a portion of their fanbase in this way is just downright disrespectful to the very people who make this business flourish.

What you didn't understand was that WD isn't a magazine, its a catalogue and advertising brochure. Why you want to pay for that in the first place, is beyond me.

...short stories by people like The Dan

You really need to open a decent book one day, this might help get a new perspective on all sorts of stuff, including the WD-thing :)

Bartali
31-01-2012, 11:18
What you didn't understand was that WD isn't a magazine, its a catalogue and advertising brochure. Why you want to pay for that in the first place, is beyond me.

Why on earth people pay money for White Dwarf is beyond me. Let alone subscribe when 50% or so of the issues will have no content to interest you if you play just one of the core systems.

carldooley
31-01-2012, 11:42
at one of the places that host tournaments nearby, the TO gives them away as consolation prizes to people who don't place high enough for prizes - and even then can't get rid of them!

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 12:12
LotR? Really? We've had like 1 decent WD (this monthes) In like years. over the cource of all of WD 40K has got way more attention that fantasy and LotR combined. If anyone has a decent collection of WD's laying around go look at covers and count the amount of covers the 40K, Fantasy and LotR's have gotten and i can guarantee 40k will have more.

demyx
31-01-2012, 13:18
well Vamps just got a new codex (or army book? unsure for the fantasy term for it is) so its understandable that they get priority in the next few WD so they can flog off the new product. I think they are padding the fantasy abit much at the moment but that is most likely in anticipation for the release of 6th edition at which point I would be very surprised if we dont see month after month of 40k dominating the magazine.
Annoying yes but it will balance out in the end

HereticHammer01
31-01-2012, 13:47
LOTR gets barely any love and 40k has had huge releases recently such as necrons, GK, etc. etc. 6th is probably coming out not too far away. Original Poster needs to look from the perspective of people who still play LOTR...40k gets a lot more releases than LOTR does which is fine as its more popular, but its surely about time LOTR got something...

Korraz
31-01-2012, 13:57
LotR was from the magazine for ages, and it was All 40k All The Time till 8th Edition rolled around.
And it's not like that thing prints anything of value.

Inquisitor Kallus
31-01-2012, 14:01
And it's not like that thing prints anything of value.

Thats like, your opinion man..

Scammel
31-01-2012, 14:06
Perhaps you're just a bit silly for paying a 'not inconsiderable sum of money' when you only care about one of the three core systems. To me your complaints are little more than whining about the fact that 40k hasn't been the poster boy for a few months. When Summer rolls around, how much coverage do you think Fantasy and LotR are going to get? Using terms like 'disrepectful' and asking 'how is this acceptable' just make me laugh - I wasn't aware the WD team had a moral obligation to focus on 40k every other month?

Korraz
31-01-2012, 14:09
Thats like, your opinion man..

Ring me when the thing brings something that I can't get better, for free.
The Civil War Rules are approaching something that reminds remotely of it. But not for over 20 bucks.

Chem-Dog
31-01-2012, 18:13
Why on earth people pay money for White Dwarf is beyond me. Let alone subscribe when 50% or so of the issues will have no content to interest you if you play just one of the core systems.

I've only really ever played 40K and never had a problem with WHFB coverage in the old days.
I even begrudgingly accepted that LotR needed to feature too. And I would happily read through anything in it.

My problem with WD is with the lack of CONTENT for any of the systems, it used to be a hobby magazine, now it's a sales tool and it's not even a subtle one at that.
I stopped being a regular buyer some time ago and stopped being a subscriber some time before that, I ppick it up now and again for things like the SoB codex the Necron re-release and the such like, but despite years of pleading GW have failed to make it a worthwile read. I'm not even calling out for a return to the days when free stuff was on the front of the mag frequently, just a return to the days when it was worth it's cover price.

Tak
31-01-2012, 18:24

You really need to open a decent book one day, this might help get a new perspective on all sorts of stuff, including the WD-thing :)

I think that a rephrase is in order as I fear that most of you have grossly misunderstood me.

I have in my collection about 120 BL books which I have read but that doesn't mean that I can't still appreciate a good short when one appears in White Dwarf now does it? I'm also not advocating a total focus on 40k which some of you seem to think I am saying. I merely would like to see a more balanced approach to the IP in order to keep everyone happy.

The simple truth is that White Dwarf magazine is a pale shadow of what it was 3 to 5 years ago. Back then it wasn't just a blunt advertising tool but rather a magazine that was an absolute joy to read and was obviously put together with more thought than it is nowadays. Anyone who has the issues from back then, and was honest about it, would agree with me.

I only sound as angry as I do because I consider myself to be one of those people who used to look forward to each and every issue but in the light of it seeming to go a little downhill I have become a disgruntled customer who is exercising his right to free speech. I haven't mentioned it yet but I do like Fantasy as well (Sigvald is one of my favourite BL books) it's just that 40k has undeniably been given the back seat ever since the new Fantasy rule was brought out which was quite some time ago now.

40k focus? NO More balance? YES

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 18:32
I've got picked up a copy of WD in years so i don't know what its like now. I stopped buying it when it was just trying to sell me something every other page. I thought WD was a hobby magazine not a monthly sales catalogue. i didn't even might the coverage for the other systems as some of the articles and batreps were good reads.

Korraz
31-01-2012, 18:48
I think that a rephrase is in order as I fear that most of you have grossly misunderstood me.

I have in my collection about 120 BL books which I have read but that doesn't mean that I can't still appreciate a good short when one appears in White Dwarf now does it? I'm also not advocating a total focus on 40k which some of you seem to think I am saying. I merely would like to see a more balanced approach to the IP in order to keep everyone happy.

The simple truth is that White Dwarf magazine is a pale shadow of what it was 3 to 5 years ago. Back then it wasn't just a blunt advertising tool but rather a magazine that was an absolute joy to read and was obviously put together with more thought than it is nowadays. Anyone who has the issues from back then, and was honest about it, would agree with me.

I only sound as angry as I do because I consider myself to be one of those people who used to look forward to each and every issue but in the light of it seeming to go a little downhill I have become a disgruntled customer who is exercising his right to free speech. I haven't mentioned it yet but I do like Fantasy as well (Sigvald is one of my favourite BL books) it's just that 40k has undeniably been given the back seat ever since the new Fantasy rule was brought out which was quite some time ago now.

40k focus? NO More balance? YES

Make it 7 or 10 years.
When I started it was doing its dying breaths, before being reanimated as a pure catalogue, and that was roughly 7 years ago.

Gazak Blacktoof
31-01-2012, 19:01
Aye, it hasn't really been good since the era of fat bloke, index astartes, card stock inserts, etc. If the content was good I wouldn't care which system it was for. Currently I just don't care.

Tak
31-01-2012, 19:14
Make it 7 or 10 years.
When I started it was doing its dying breaths, before being reanimated as a pure catalogue, and that was roughly 7 years ago.

Yes, Korraz, you are right. It was definitely a superior read back then and it is such a shame too. Going on what most people have got to say about it on the first page of this thread, I would say that they did not have the experience of reading one of those issues, they were great, really,really great!

And that's what my problem is, I would like to see a return of it. My issues go right back to issue 163 and I have about 130 issues from that number to present and you can definitely see how it waxes and wains quite dramatically.

Get The Fat Bloke back (isn't his name Sawyer or something?), he was/is awesome and sorely missed. Does anyone know what he is doing now by the way?

Commissar_Kahl
31-01-2012, 21:08
40k batreps are always tiny 1500pt affairs while good old Fantasy regularly get twice that amount.

That's because a standard game of 40K is 1500 pts and a standard fantasy game is 3K points. The way the points cost of units work out in the two systems mean that those points values are somewhat equivalant. So I don't really see your complaint.

I have always thought they should split every magazine 40k/fantasy with one LOTR article. That would be the best way to make everyone happy.

Noobie2k7
31-01-2012, 21:14
No, the intelligent thing to do would have the magazine split into thirds. It wouldn't be hard to have a batrep and a couple of nice articles along with some painting and modelling stuff for each game system in each book if you just took out all the pages and pages of the prices for stuff.

Project2501
31-01-2012, 21:37
IMO, outside of a WD codex release, ever since chapter approved died, there's been no reason to buy WD.