PDA

View Full Version : Empire spearmen, worth it?

Glenn87
31-01-2012, 19:30
I wanna play Empire, and was just wondering, are basic Empire Spearmen worth it??

Also, what are the units you need to take (for an all-commers tourney list) and wich units absolutely NOT?

Rosstifer
31-01-2012, 19:43
Not really worth it, Halberdiers are killier, and Swordsmen live longer. No real reason to take them.

Glenn87
31-01-2012, 19:54
aawww, too bad :(
wich one is the mainstream unit in an empire army?

Mr. Shine
31-01-2012, 19:57
aawww, too bad :(
wich one is the mainstream unit in an empire army?

Both. Take a big unit of one and detachments of the other. Horde of Halberdiers with two detachments of Swordsmen, or vice versa.

Glenn87
31-01-2012, 20:01
hmm, I have some DoW models lying around here, and since they'll probally NEVER ever re-release new rules for them, I was thinking of using the Empire Army Book.

No use for Pikemen then :(

How would a typical Empire army look like?? (thanks!!)

Askari
31-01-2012, 20:38
Arch Lector with or without Altar
Level 4 (Shadow, Life or Light)

Warrior Priest
Captain BSB with Armour of Meteoric Iron
Engineer

Horde of Halberdiers
Big steadfast block of Swordsmen
Redirector/warmachine hunter unit of Knights

Horde Greatswords

2x Mortar
2x Cannons
Steam Tank and/or Helstorm Rocket Battery

Glenn87
31-01-2012, 21:01
hmmm, so far of making an Empire army with DoW models....

I could field Bronzino's Galloper guns as Cannons, and Halflin Hot Pots as Mortars, the Knight could be Voland's Vendetors, and I'd find something for the Characters.
But there isn't a DoW unit that has Great Weapons, or Halberds, or Sword & Shield :(

Morax
01-02-2012, 12:05
Nothing wrong with spears. They need support just like all the other core but once it's there they can be quite effective. That extra rank of attacks is handy when under the effects of Mindrazor, Light of Battle or Wildform. Sure this means you are taking a wizard, but this is 8th we are talking about. Of course you are taking a wizard right?

Cambion Daystar
01-02-2012, 12:54
There is very very little difference in the effectiveness between the empire core CC infantry choices. Just take the models you like the most.

Tuttivillus
01-02-2012, 15:31
I play with spear horde with WP. It's ok, as long as You run them against equal targets. Halbardiers can be more usefull, but if i field GS, flaggies ang GWcav I don't need that much of a punch.