PDA

View Full Version : What if 8th were it, the end, the final edition?

Feefait
01-02-2012, 04:02
So what if, against all history, trends and sense GW decided that 8th was so good that they would not update anymore. No new editions. Instead they would focus on reworking army books, adding minis, expansions etc. More army books a year, maybe some rule updates through White Dwarf but no new core rules. Would you keep with it and maybe play new armies or would you lose interest and just give up eventually?

I think it might be interesting to see what they could do if they didn't have to think about a new edition halfway through the cycle of books. I'd probably end up playing more armies (last thing I need) just for some variety, but I'd honestly be okay if the core rules didn't change, and anything new was just added via army books or articles in WD.

Rosstifer
01-02-2012, 04:04
I'd be fine with 8th not changing, but that's not to say there aren't changes I'd like to see.

Sexiest_hero
01-02-2012, 04:30
I'd be fine with it also. Ju a few tune ups.

DaemonReign
01-02-2012, 04:44
Not that I believe for a second that we're now playing the last ever Edition of WHFB, but frankly yeah what the other two already said: Whether or not we get a new Edition is not an issue that'll decide my continued hobbying. At all.
And if there ever was an Edition that could stand such a Test of Time it's this one. By far the best we've ever had despite whatever personal gripes one might have with a detail or two.

Adohi-Tehe
01-02-2012, 05:04
It wouldn't bother me terribly if that were the case, though perhaps a few minor tune ups here and there for the sake of balance. For example, raise the casting value of Purple Sun and have it kill on 4+ (6+) similar to Final Transmutation and for Dwellers have multi-wound models test for each of their remaining wounds, losing a wound per failed test.

dwarfhold13
01-02-2012, 05:49
mah.. purple sun = 2nd edition 40k vortex grenade.... yuck!
my biggest complaint is where it comes to 1 model of 100 counts as full points.. it will NEVER make sense to me, but other than that and a couple other minor things, I like it

thesheriff
01-02-2012, 06:40
I agree with the above sentiments. If we look at GW having finite resources, I would rather they use them to create new army books than a new edition. Having said that, different editions different editions do prevent an edition from going stale, so it would be a shame to think of this as the last one :D.

thesheriff

DarKolia
01-02-2012, 08:55
Hi

As far as I am concerned, I would like to see a 9th, with return to the old mvt rules: half movement in rough terrain and 3d6 for cavalry (which is not powerful enough in 8th... except bretonnian)...
Everything else is OK for me in 8th...

DarK

Gromdal
01-02-2012, 12:58
A long time ago I posted several things that was wrong with 6th edition, and then later at the start of 7th edition.

My main points were that the combats were not bloody enough, not enough people got to fight, not enough died before flight (esp true when it comes to most armies except for mebbe the cowardly skaven or pure gobbo armies).

I also argued for a faster paced game and more streamlined and simpler rules. And a greater focus for the basic block of infantry.

All of these got more or less implemented in 8th. Im glad to see GW working on rebalancing the books and limiting deathstars etc.

8th is by far the best edition sofar. And with a lookover on the no save spells, the removal of some the uber combos we could use 8th from now on and id be happy with it.

IcedCrow
01-02-2012, 13:00
It would need tweaked here and there but 8th is probably overall the best version of the game IMO to me.

Athelassan
01-02-2012, 13:40
It depends what you're after from an edition. 3rd edition felt the most engaging and intellectually-satisfying; 4th/5th edition, I felt, were the most fun; 6th edition was the best-balanced; 7th edition was rubbish; and 8th ed seems the most streamlined and easiest to play. I've remained a 4th/5th ed apologist (5th was probably the better of the two all told despite a couple of very minor irritations) because "fun" is what I'm in the game for.

There are a couple of elements of 8th edition that I really don't like, and if fixed could raise it to the level of 4th/5th ed in my estimation. The game *is* fun but I find that some of the tweaks to make it easier to play have made some of the elements that used to be skill-based more luck-dependent, which for a game which already uses an awful lot of luck-based variables is not, I think, a good thing.

However, I recognise that for many people, 4th/5th ed represents the nadir of human history and should be extirpated from the memory.

It's a shame that there isn't more of a culture of multi-edition tolerance. There are probably a few people out there still playing older editions but they will be few in number and in relatively closed groups. I understand why the game gets updated constantly, of course, but it'd be nice if people were able to find a ruleset they liked and stick with it, like you get with RPGs (which doesn't necessarily preclude buying new figures, of course).

Harwammer
01-02-2012, 13:55
It wouldn't bother me terribly if that were the case, though perhaps a few minor tune ups here and there for the sake of balance. For example, raise the casting value of Purple Sun and have it kill on 4+ (6+) similar to Final Transmutation and for Dwellers have multi-wound models test for each of their remaining wounds, losing a wound per failed test.

That would be an interesting change for characters (they'd be more likely to be harmed but less likely to die), but wouldn't make a massive difference to units of multi wound models (since their wounds carry over).

Imagine 36 I2 monstrous infantry are hit by purple sun:
Current system = 36 MI * 2/3 = 24 dead
Your proposal = 108 wounds * 2/3 = 72 wounds = 24 MI dead.

OnT: I'm pretty happy with 8th ed. We'll see if that's still true in 3 years time or not :P

Lordy
01-02-2012, 14:17
I'd be pretty gutted, 8th is alright, still prefer 7th if i'm honest though.

Would prefer a hybrid of 7th and 8th if there was going to be a final edition.

Petey
01-02-2012, 14:43
House rules for the win

Adohi-Tehe
01-02-2012, 17:31
That would be an interesting change for characters (they'd be more likely to be harmed but less likely to die), but wouldn't make a massive difference to units of multi wound models (since their wounds carry over).

Imagine 36 I2 monstrous infantry are hit by purple sun:
Current system = 36 MI * 2/3 = 24 dead
Your proposal = 108 wounds * 2/3 = 72 wounds = 24 MI dead.

I was specifically thinking about characters when I wrote that for Dwellers actually and forgot wounds carry over in that way (oops -make it an exception to the rule perhaps?). My main problem with Purple Sun is its potential to inflict hideous amounts of damage on low initiative armies and thought it might be better to have each model test once like they do for Final Transmutation meaning characters have a high chance of surviving when combining look out sir with the fact they would only be removed on a 6.

Adohi-Tehe :)

Kayosiv
01-02-2012, 17:35
I liked 6th edition probably the best out of all of them as a whole, but liked 7th the most at the start. When everyone had low powered 6th edition army books I had a blast. The more army books that came out in 7th the worse the game got for me because of the blatant imbalance between the armies. I really don't like 8th edition as much because it seems far less tactical and more about super spells and super units. Plus I think a block of 25 infantry looks nice and is a good standard while a horde of 50-100 is both stupid looking on the table and is a pain to buy, paint, transport, and set up. On the other hand the rule books for 8th edition have been greatly balanced. People will complain that they are not perfect and that is of course true, but they are similar in power and have many effective builds. A consistent power level with variety in build options is what the army books should be about and I'm happy that the last 4 books have followed such a trend. I would be extremely upset if 8th edition was the last one because there are a lot of really non-nonsensical or poorly balanced rules in the rulebook. I'm hoping 9th will iron out those creases while retaining the army book balance that has been achieved these past few years.

Petey
01-02-2012, 17:56
I liked 6th edition probably the best out of all of them as a whole, but liked 7th the most at the start. When everyone had low powered 6th edition army books I had a blast. The more army books that came out in 7th the worse the game got for me because of the blatant imbalance between the armies. I really don't like 8th edition as much because it seems far less tactical and more about super spells and super units. Plus I think a block of 25 infantry looks nice and is a good standard while a horde of 50-100 is both stupid looking on the table and is a pain to buy, paint, transport, and set up. On the other hand the rule books for 8th edition have been greatly balanced. People will complain that they are not perfect and that is of course true, but they are similar in power and have many effective builds. A consistent power level with variety in build options is what the army books should be about and I'm happy that the last 4 books have followed such a trend. I would be extremely upset if 8th edition was the last one because there are a lot of really non-nonsensical or poorly balanced rules in the rulebook. I'm hoping 9th will iron out those creases while retaining the army book balance that has been achieved these past few years.

I too loved the lower powered army lists. I think they were much better for the game as a whole, but I will say that this edition the army books have been better than any previous edition, with minimal book creep (if any). I think I prefer the Horde units, they look more like what armies looked like historically. I really like 8th rules, by and large. I wonder what the game would look like with 6th ed armies and terrain, but 8th ed rules otherwise

Manling
01-02-2012, 18:16
6th Edit was probably the best edition, 7th was meh considering the changes to magic weren't all that balanced for some armies and the lores were less dstructive. the hordes are okay and the nerf to cav is interesting for some armies but on the whole with 8th its not infantry focused at all its Magichammer. to many No saves of any kind are just retarded. WTF is the point of taking ward save or magic resist?

Lore of fire got nerfed and doesnt even have a decent ultimate spell, Even the lore of life got a no save of any kind but lore of fire gets nothing even close. the lore atributes add a nice rich flavor but again with magic its way to powerfull in that most time it can be a game ender. if there was more consistancy and i really wish they kept the seperate irresistable/miscast rules and the miscast overrides the irresistable force rule. these are just things i loved in previous editions and TBH i think its gotten away from its roots.

Luigi
01-02-2012, 19:49
So what if, against all history, trends and sense GW decided that 8th was so good that they would not update anymore. No new editions. Instead they would focus on reworking army books, adding minis, expansions etc. More army books a year, maybe some rule updates through White Dwarf but no new core rules. Would you keep with it and maybe play new armies or would you lose interest and just give up eventually?

I think it might be interesting to see what they could do if they didn't have to think about a new edition halfway through the cycle of books. I'd probably end up playing more armies (last thing I need) just for some variety, but I'd honestly be okay if the core rules didn't change, and anything new was just added via army books or articles in WD.

What??? a game with rules that stay consistent over time??? What is this madness you speak of? Don't you know that what everyone loves about warhammer is having to spend a ridiculously high amount of money on a set of rules that will inexorably change??

yabbadabba
01-02-2012, 19:59
I think Warseer would go through this as a transition:

http://www.dorktower.com/

Aside from that, wouldn't bother me. I've always tinkered with the rules of every edition I have played with so sooner or later I would get to a rules nirvana.

lbecks
01-02-2012, 20:13
I'd be fine with more minis.

arthurfallz
02-02-2012, 03:46
I would be happy if they would just finish all the Army Books for an edition before they updated to the new one, or instead of releasing a new edition, released an update guidebook to move some rules around, including full conversions for existing army books (which, if they were all finished, wouldn't be a problem). New miniature sales are always going to be the backbone of this game, so why keep making people buy new books?

8th has it's problems (I hate the magic system and think the random movement is too big, and I'm against true LOS), but it's a decent fantasy battle game. I like the minis. The world is nonsense but fun. Just finish it!

Duke Ramulots
02-02-2012, 05:30
I would b exited as 8th is by far the best edition yet and they would at least be able to make all the armybooks for an edition. Then, once all the armies had an 8th edition army book we could see all the armies come out that we have wanted for so long... I'm of corse talking fishmen:)