PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Brets Ducal Army

Dalaran1991
01-02-2012, 13:43
Hello all! I've recently switched to Fantasy and is collecting Bretonnians. They are pretty bad under the current edition but I love them anyway. Therefore this list is based on a carefully designed fluff with a young Duke and his sister the Prophetess, though I do try to be as competitive as possible. Please give me your opinions. Since I'm still familiarizing myself with the change, if you can include a brief explanation along with your suggestions I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Lords (476pts)

Dalarand Dragonné - Lord (216pts)
Enchanted Shield, The Heartwood Lance, The Knight's Vow, Virtue of Heroism, Warhorse

Duéla Dragonné - Propethess (260pts)
Chalice of Malfleur, Lore of Life, Warhorse, Wizard Level 4

Heroes (310pts)

Séléna Cheveux d'Or - Damsel (120pts)
Lore of Beasts, The Silver Mirror, Warhorse, Wizard Level 1

Orlandeau Sacréfoi, porteur de l'Oriflame - Paladin (79pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Charmed Shield, The Knight's Vow, Warhorse

Aragon Feu de Vengeance - Paladin (111pts)
Gauntlet of the Duel, Morning Star of Fracasse, Shield, The Knight's Vow, Warhorse

Core (860pts)

Knights of the Realm (264pts)
Gallant, 10x KotR, Musician, Standard Bearer
Knights of the Realm (192pts)
Gallant, 7x KotR, Musician, Standard Bearer

Men-At-Arms (202pts)
Halberd, 35x Men-At-Arms, Musician, Standard Bearer, Yeomen Warden

Peasant Bowmen (101pts) x2
Braziers, 16x Peasant Bowmen

Special (175pts)
Pegasus Knights (175pts)
Gallant, Musician, 3x Pegasus Knight

Rare (180pts)
Field Trebuchet (90pts)
Field Trebuchet (90pts)

The lord and propphetess go with the bigger lance as heavy hitters. Hopefullly with magic resistance and lore of life they will be able to shrug off some damage and get into combat where the lord with his re-roll lance and virtue of heroism will flatten rank and file and big nasties alike.

The Paladin with gauntlet and morning star is obviously the duelist. Go with damsel in the smaller lance and hunt for character. Hopefully I can get Beast of Horros/wyssan wild form to help him out.

The prophetess and damsel serve more as magic defense with their items and buff units as necessary. I have a question: does the silver mirror S6 wound instant death T3 models? Like in 40k?

Pegasus hunt for warmachine or loners, or harass

Peasants bowmen and trebs thin out the ranks for the glorious charge.

MAA advance to engage horde and help out the knights.

Dalaran1991
02-02-2012, 16:36
23 views and no rep :( come on guys nobody is willing to help out a noob?

Wesser
02-02-2012, 19:30
Very vulnerable army

You'll have difficulty protecting your flanks and you are ultradependent on a good charge.

I'd cut heavily away away at characters. 2 lords are no-go. Personally I'd slash the lvl 4, but thats just my taste.

Oh and any misscast will wipe out your knight units unless you've been able to cast throne of vines.

This army have many vulnerabilities. Brets are generally weak against horde armies, but this army will also have trouble against shooty and fast armies.

Manling
03-02-2012, 00:33
Very vulnerable army

You'll have difficulty protecting your flanks and you are ultradependent on a good charge.

I'd cut heavily away away at characters. 2 lords are no-go. Personally I'd slash the lvl 4, but thats just my taste.

Oh and any misscast will wipe out your knight units unless you've been able to cast throne of vines.

This army have many vulnerabilities. Brets are generally weak against horde armies, but this army will also have trouble against shooty and fast armies.

Keep the lvl4 cut the extra paladin and maybe even cut the archers. Bump the lvl 1 to 2 and maybe consider the different lores like life or heavens. I woul even consider putting more into the M@A and make them like 42 with 7 across and 6 deep and use the mages as support.

trebs are okay
2 lords work for your army as theycan deal damage and with Lore of life you can hopefully dwellers hordes down to size and making your knights more survivable is good.

thankfully the lores Brets get are actually better than previous editions. And with how cheap our footsoldiers are we can put up a fierce figh considering.

Try expiramenting with Grail knights and use your Pegasus knghts as skirmisher/Warmachine hunters and remember to use the lance to Double or even triple charge horde or tough units and you should break them just on wounds.

Jimmy Reptile
03-02-2012, 07:53
Hi Dalaran1991!

I think the army look quite balanced when you exclude the characters. I love your prophetess, especially with lore of life. I think you should consider lore of life for the damsel as well. In this way you're pretty shure to get the spells needed from this lore (READ: Throne of Vines AND Dwellers From Below). You mention the silver mirror and instant death. There is no instant death in fantasy. I think if you want to use the silver mirror, then combine it with feedback scroll. In this way you should be ble to take out an enemy mage early in the game.

As the army list is less than 2500 my advice is not to use a bretonnian Lord. Use a paladin as general and try to keep the number of characters to max 4.
Maybe you should consider 2 x 10/12 bowmen to save a few points there as well. The shooting of the bowmen aren't going to win the battle for you anyway, but they have other roles, which I find quite important = 1) protecting the trebuchets as the deploy with stakes in front of them (= fences, obstacle) 2) shooting at small units threatening the trebuchets.

The spare points should then be used on another unit of knights (realm, errant or grail).

You wrote: "They are pretty bad under the current edition but I love them anyway"...
I must say, that I don't agree. I think 8th ed. made Brets much more fun to play as it is no longer a "point-and-click" army.

Good luck!