PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Model

mdeceiver79
01-02-2012, 15:09
Just picked up the corpse cart kit. I've never really picked up a kit and thought "wow this is amazing" so it was a first.

The variety of heads, the necromancer, the body pile, the rats and the bat all make for excellent bits for conversions and terrain.

What other experiences have you had of a genuinely amazing kit?

boli
01-02-2012, 15:29
The basic Clan Rats sprue

I hadn't bought anything for years (like 15) and I was disaapointed to hear they were all now plastic having experianced the really *really* bad plastic and miss-aligned plastic they used to give us.

But I bought 2 boxes of clan rats to paint up and start getting back into the game - first was annoyance when i realised it was just two sprues of plastic and bases in each box... but the more I worked with it the more I came to the conclusion: hey these are really nice models - really detailed.

Other than prob the entire IoB box set... honestly I almost want to get a second set as they were a joy to assemble; to have plastic models which fit together so easily and looked so detailed. Compare this to the High Elves and goblins you got in the 4th Warhammer box set and you can guess how blown away I was. No more card units for one :P

Domandi
01-02-2012, 16:00
The Arock spider for Orc n Goblins. That thing is pure terrifying beauty.

quietus1986
01-02-2012, 16:52
The zombie dragon/ terrorgheist is a great box in my opinion.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
01-02-2012, 17:03
Chaos Knights kit. I've used parts from my 5 sets in tons of different models, as well as building the 25 cavalry in numerous different configurations. Just so much customisability with some really great parts; a truly excellent kit.

Confessor_Atol
01-02-2012, 19:32
Man, I love that thunder tusk kit. Fits together like a dream, with tons of bits left over, and looks boss!! I'm a big fan of the giant kit too. Lots of depth and cool extra gubbins.

VenomBlood
01-02-2012, 19:58
The basic Clan Rats sprue
This

*They are easy to assemble, full of ace details, but still fun to paint. Apart from the lack of slings they are the best plastic core unit in WFB IMO.

theJ
01-02-2012, 20:24
It's not fantasy, but the Ork Nobz box made me think the same. Loads of options, neat poses, tons of character... the pictures on the GW site sure don't give 'em enough credit.

mdeceiver79
01-02-2012, 20:30
Yeah I wanted this to be non fantasy also. Its nice to appreciate the nice things the increases in price make people forget.

Are the flaggent kits any good?

popisdead
01-02-2012, 21:09
Glade Guard. They came out two years after the static pose ultra-bland WoC kit and for modelling purposes were nearly infinitely better. Plus they are loaded up with bitz. For a kit over 8 years old it's a home run.

GenerationTerrorist
01-02-2012, 21:11
I'm a big fan of the Savage Orcs kit. The models are fantastic.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
01-02-2012, 21:45
Yeah I wanted this to be non fantasy also. Its nice to appreciate the nice things the increases in price make people forget.

Are the flaggent kits any good?

The flagellant kit is also rather excellent in my opinion, lots of interesting extra bits and dynamic posing of the models themselves.

Rosstifer
01-02-2012, 21:48
I like Marauder Horsemen. Lovely models, good poses and variety, and SO many extra bits. Especially heads. I love extra bits :D

tarrym
01-02-2012, 22:23
I will definitely add +1 to the vote for the Clanrats kit. Not much flexibility, but the models are really nice - and plenty of different bodies on each sprue, so you don't really notice the repetition of models in an army scale.

However, having just bought myself several of the new TK boxes I think I'd also have to put in a mention of the new Tomb Guard - really detailed, and not a single mould/flash line in sight! And I'm so grateful that someone at GW finally had the common sense to do away with having the legs and torso of a skeletal body in 2 parts - it's the bane of many a VC/TK player! :)

lbecks
01-02-2012, 23:06
Island of Blood box set. Just a lot of nice models for a very good price. I think a lot of plastics post-2005 are very nice in Fantasy and 40k. The recut of the Chaos Marines in 40K was extremely nice with all the added parts.

Morkash
02-02-2012, 08:11
I had a similar experience with the Space Marine Devastator box a few years ago. After a few years of absence these were my first box and I was shocked how amazing it was. That the box actually made me money instead of costing anything (14,40 pounds I think, and the leftover weapons sold for 4 each :p) just enhanced the opinion.

For Fantasy, I second the Arachnarok and the Savage Orcs, both on foot and mounted. Heaps of options on the Savages with a fitting look of madness and lots of extra weapons like bows and shields... The Arachnarok because, well just because. While assembling her I had to grin constantly as she just is the most beautiful model ever made. Never had anything comparable!

angelofrage
02-02-2012, 08:58
Been playing 40k for a while and my first recently painted Fantasy figures were the Skaven warlord and engineer from the Island of Blood set, picked up off ebay really cheap compared to the main release characters. Painted them both up and love the detail, amazing how much plastic has evolved back from the days of the monopose plastic troops for Fantasy when I played before.
I've also recently got the plastic Lizardman hero and again, it's nicely detailed with a nice scenic base. Painting him now.

wreiro
02-02-2012, 09:11
I have to vote for the Skaven Stormvermin. They are just awesome!

Also the newish Nurgle hero! Have been painting that recently and it is brilliant.

Thanks
H

Just picked up the corpse cart kit. I've never really picked up a kit and thought "wow this is amazing" so it was a first.

The variety of heads, the necromancer, the body pile, the rats and the bat all make for excellent bits for conversions and terrain.

What other experiences have you had of a genuinely amazing kit?

I too love the Corpse Cart. Since I finished painting it, it has featured in my every list, even though it has rarely been worth its points. I remember it was a pit of pain to put together, as the corpse pile and the "ribs" can be tricky to combine in harmony. I guess the most important thing is to attach the ribs only after the pile o' bodies is in place.

Anyways, it just looks awesome and has a permanent place in my army.

Algovil
02-02-2012, 09:22
Second the Corpse Cart, excellent model.

I really like the Great Swords kit, Really nice.

The VC skeleton is also just what a kit should be, so many different combinations possible that no model ever need to look the same.

Am I the only one that found building multipart plastic models, the best part of the hobby, custom command groups by mishmashing different kits form the same army for example. This is GWs strength IMO.

Sexiest_hero
02-02-2012, 09:27
Tomb kings war sphinx. it's golden.

Far2Casual
02-02-2012, 11:38
The Ogres' entire line is fantastic, you have plenty of nice kits to play with.

Ogres, Ironguts and Leadbelchers to get things started. Nice customizable kits with lots of useful bits.
Then go up one level with the Mournfangs, to build one of the most impressive cavalry in the game.
Then the Ironblaster/Scraplauncher kit, two awesome chariots with lots of details, and the Giant that is so easy to customize.
Finally, you end your work with the incredible Thundertusk/Stonehorn model. ~90 pieces that fit perfectly together to build a gigantic and impressive model.

GW is the undisputed leader for a reason. Those kits are f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c.

Holy_Combat
02-02-2012, 14:52
I love my orcs, but the good ol' boys need love.

However I just jumped on the bandwagon and started a VC army. I really love the humble skeleton models, Grave Guard, and especially the Black Knights/ Hexwaith kits.

Cragum
02-02-2012, 20:28
Id have to say my favourite kit is the Mournfang kit for ogres. Primarily as from all those extra hand weapon options you get, I was able to create half a unit of Maneaters. If anything any ogre kit is perfect as everyone is interchangeable!

75hastings69
02-02-2012, 21:16
The latest Orc boar boyz, I have over 50 of them painted - I don't think I have 50 of anything else painted! Lol!!! I just love how much character is in that kit and it looks like real though went into how the riders would be positioned unlike other GW ridden kits where they just seem to be plonked on anywhere.

I also have a great fondness for the corpse cart & also the plastic Juggernaughts.

Some great stuff there!

abdulaapocolyps
03-02-2012, 05:39
I agree with th mauarder horsemen kit.
I was also impressed with the standard mauarder set.I know loads of people hate that but I just think its ace!

karse88
03-02-2012, 11:00
skaven screaming bell is awesome! super great model and a lot of kits to play with! i made the screamin bell, a plague priest, 1 ratling gun (used guns from empire) and 1 bsb out of that one pox! a lot of cool combinations and great details!

Zark the Damned
03-02-2012, 14:50
Tough choice - all the recent kits have been great (well, if you ignore the price...) but a personal standout for me is the GreatSword regiment - so full of character and decent amount of extra details.

mdeceiver79
03-02-2012, 16:49
I like the look of the greatswords but the price is a little over the top for me. I was frankly quite shocked the corpsecart was so cheap compared to the rest of their stuff.

Tae
03-02-2012, 21:21
I can only echo those who have said the Arachnarok. I've put three together now (2 are mine, one for a friend) and each and every time I just enjoy it more and more. Add to that the massive number of extras included - I've managed to 'forest goblinify' my entire goblin half of the army just from these kits. Amazing.

tartanspartacus
03-02-2012, 23:39
The Greatswords kit is phenomenal, if a little pricey. The only downside for a fairly limited (but adventurous) painter like me is that I like being able to get all the little details, which means, of course that I find myself having to paint 90% of the model in bits then glue it all together! lol