PDA

View Full Version : dark eldar and tyranid noob

Warlord Kyle
24-04-2006, 01:23
im already new to this game and have been asking questions on tyranids, but a friend just dumped 32 models of dark eldar on me. First why does everyone thinkthey are the worst army? Is there a 4th edition rule book for dark eldar?
And is it possible to create a semi workable way to play a dark eldar army without any vechiles?

Da Reddaneks
24-04-2006, 01:29
dark eldar are a horriable army for a noob to play. shelve them and go for nids until you learn the game really well. people who do well with dark eldar honestly do well because they are veteran players who would probably do well with any army. its a dreadful army for any beginner.

and no there is not a 4th ed. codex for them and one is not even on the horizon.

zealousheretic
24-04-2006, 05:03
In the hands of a skilled player, DE are unspeakably nasty.

In the hands of an inexperienced person, they're terrible. The list requires a lot of finesse, but it's incredible if you can make it work.

starlight
24-04-2006, 05:28
Agreed, sit on them for about a year while you learn the game and at least one other army. Once you have the game down and you're comfortable with other armies, pull out the DE and start kicking butt.

Sybaronde
24-04-2006, 09:07
2 words: Dark Lances.

Try to get as many dark lances as possible into a single 1500 point army. Then you got a shot at winning with the Dark Eldar.

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2006, 09:28
2 words: Dark Lances.

Try to get as many dark lances as possible into a single 1500 point army. Then you got a shot at winning with the Dark Eldar.

Not necessarily true, it's all about your personal playstyle. Sure, 6 squads of 10 warriors with 2 Dark Lances in each is effective, but it doesn't really make for an interesting game imo. In 1500 points, I have 6 Dark Lances, 6 Disintegrators and 4 Splinter Cannons, and I do rather well with that :)

I find that it's my Lord, Wyches and Ravagers with disintegrators that do most of the killing, not the Dark Lance sniper squads. Warriors armed with Splinter Cannons are also fun, they force so many armour saves due to volume of shots released that they almost always kill something. You just have to love Assault 4 weapons :angel:

But I also agree that it's not the best army to start with. I did, and I struggled for quite some time before I learned how to play it properly.

Kaoslord
24-04-2006, 10:11
Dark Eldar: A True Conneseurs army. In the hands of someone who has mastered the subtle art of the rapid exsanguination of an enemy from a thousand excruciating cuts, they are possibly one of the most terrifyingly destructive forces in Warhammer 40000. I take a pair of brown pants to tournaments on the off chance that I will face an experienced Dark Eldar player.

In the hands of anyone else, they will die horribly and will probably be lucky if they score 10 victory points.

Put them down and grab your tyrannids. Expend sixty gaunts to kill one Marine. It's cool, they're without number. Run the enemy to the ground under the tide of gribbly death from beyond the galaxy. Trample them to death under the hooves of your 'Fex and Tyrants... You'll have much more fun than trying to learn to play Dark Eldar. Save them for your third or fourth army, and be one of those people who scare newbies at tournaments.

russian
24-04-2006, 10:47
as meantiond above DE are hediously desturctive if used well, but extremly hard to play with unless you know exactly what you are doing, im on my second De army, and two lists differ ever so slightly, but i have yet to come across a de list that was susessful without the raiders, however that does not mean that u canot be susessfullw ithout them would just require a good set of tactics

i prefer raider squads, agroniser ont he syberite blaster and splinter cannon and then 4 other blokes and i have 4 of these squads as the backboe of my army then ive got wytches, warp beasts, the lord n his retinue and 2 heamonculi.

shelve the de use the nids there more enjoyable, unless you enjoy getting a hiding every thime you play untill your experianced

ss_cherubael
24-04-2006, 14:13
WHat the others say is true about Dark Eldar they rape anything that moves quite well if you know how to use them, and most of the time it will include vehicles of one type or another. But unlike the others i would say take those free minis and some cash(u will need a bit with GW being such a money grabbing tightwad company) and start that Dark Eldar army. Check round the net and your local store for help with building your army and for working out tactics and yes become one of those people who scares newbies and vetrans alike at tournies and stores alike. Nids are good to use and have many different styles but unless u have alot of surplus money they could be hard to field as an army anytime soon, but yes 60 gaunts to 1 space marine will give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside any time of the day! welcome to the hobby and have fun

Sybaronde
24-04-2006, 14:24
Not necessarily true, it's all about your personal playstyle.

It's kind of a joke, anyway. :angel: :D

Eblis_Dead_Forever
24-04-2006, 14:38
If you start with the dark eldar you'll just become disheartened as you lose battle after battle. My mate kyle has giving up on his dark eldar army because he has lost so many battles and gone for marines now. It's good to see someone that has decided to start with something other than marines it was a mistake I made and regrette. The nids have some really beautiful models and are so much fun to play (espically against orks when you have without number :D ) with espically against someone that has never played them before.
As the most common phrases you will hear are
It has HOW many attacks?
Rerolls to hit and wound with how many shots!?!:eek:
So let me get this straight it has t7 5 wounds which it can regain and you have 3 of them in your army?:cries:
What do you mean my demolisher cannon ONLY wounded it?

Loricatus
24-04-2006, 15:10
My first 40k army was Dark Eldar... sure, I lost quite a few games early on, but that's just the learning curve.

Why not learn on a hard-to-master army? Sure, the learning curve is a little steeper, but once you have mastered the difficult ones, every other army will just fall in place. I'd say go for Dark Eldar. Start with small combat patrol games, and then slowly add squads to the mix over time.

As mentioned, there is no 4th Ed Codex, but the 3rd Ed 'dex in conjunction with the FAQ works perfectly fine.

Typheron
24-04-2006, 15:14
when i was using my dark eldar i tended to decide if i won or lost (regardless if i did actually win or lose) on how many slaves i had taken. I did once take the better part of a IG command squad (or whatever there called) including the army commander.

they were all dragged off to be tortured for my archons pleasure. Gives good bragging rights i feel, i even coverted my HQs raider to carry his decomposing skull alongside some chainned up imperial and orks bits and pieces.

pablofiasco
24-04-2006, 16:39
after starting 4+ years or so ago with Tau, and moving to spacemarines, then Ig...then choas (and failing miserably with all of them) ive recently started a small(large) De army myself

let me tell you, the Jetbikes rock out load.

the look on my oppoents face when i redeploy my entire army to the other side of the board on turn one, and it starts to dawn on him that he has No hope of recovery is just priceless

take jetbikes, lots of jetbiks, hundreds of jetbikes *

also, stay far away from Incubi, they are really only useful in Certin situations

*ok, maybe only 2 dozen or so

Achilles
24-04-2006, 17:06
also, stay far away from Incubi, they are really only useful in Certin situations

well i really loved my incubi just for the Aahhh:D factor they invoke in oponents... just make sure ur lord is tooled up for the job to... i love grotesques, and i know a friend who makes REALLY nasty use of madrakes... deploying 3 units... DE are a cool list, and were one of of my first army's... and i won my first 10 games until my opponents learned how to counter me...

but as a new player, the best advice to give u... winning or losing isnt the point. having fun is (loved the comment about the slaves:evilgrin: ).

russian
24-04-2006, 17:29
take jetbikes, lots of jetbiks, hundreds of jetbikes *

Incubi are some of the best things avaliable to the Darkeldar they are failty nasty, having a 2 handed power weapon with a tormentor helm so you still get +1 attack, my command squads normally consist of an archon, Incubi master, 6 incubi, and 2 warriors with splinter cannons

De jetbikes are overpriced, they still pay for an upgrade that everyone now had(turbo boost) im sure they have their uses, but unless your wanting a wytch army, or heamonculi cult army incubi are a must imho

Achilles
24-04-2006, 17:36
my command squads normally consist of an archon, Incubi master, 6 incubi, and 2 warriors with splinter cannons

me to... and i love the horrorfex & terrorfex:angel:

and i think i just figured out what army to dust of for Medusa V...:D

damz451
24-04-2006, 17:42
Incubi are some of the best things avaliable to the Darkeldar they are failty nasty, having a 2 handed power weapon with a tormentor helm so you still get +1 attack, my command squads normally consist of an archon, Incubi master, 6 incubi, and 2 warriors with splinter cannons

De jetbikes are overpriced, they still pay for an upgrade that everyone now had(turbo boost) im sure they have their uses, but unless your wanting a wytch army, or heamonculi cult army incubi are a must imho

de jetbikes got their points lowered from 30 some time ago, higher initiative than most races, combat drugs etc they can tie up devestator squads or heavy weapon platoons :D

TheShadow3s
24-04-2006, 18:08
On of my friends plays DE and did a game agaisnt another one of my friends and I think his marines were dead on turn 2 , but then again he already had played them for 5 years or something

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2006, 19:24
It's kind of a joke, anyway. :angel: :D

Okay :)

But without any smileys, it isn't obvious that it was meant as a joke ;)

About the Incubi. They are amazing on paper, but I've rarely gotten them to work properly so I ended up leaving them out of my list completely... and I don't miss them at all. And the Lord doesn't really need a retinue, he works just as well alone or tagging along with a squad of wyches.

Jetbikes.. I see these as mostly tankhunters, haven't really tried them as assault units, they feel a bit too expensive for that. They don't really have any killing power unless you buy a succubus with agoniser, and then you're paying 61 points for a 1-wound, T4, 4+ save model. Maybe they're amazing in close combat, I don't know. Anyone have any experience with jetbikes as assault troops?

starlight
24-04-2006, 19:42
I'm building a WC, so I'm all about Wyches (AP) and Reavers (AT).:evilgrin: The odd Mandrake unit keeps them guessing.:p

"Its time that Devastator Squad stopped shooting - Oh look, it just got assaulted by Mandrakes.":p

pablofiasco
24-04-2006, 20:17
reavers can kick butt in assualt IF properly equipped and supported

agoniiser+combatdrugs+ teormentor helm at the minimum
this gives you (for the succubus) at least 4 attacks on the charge, going before almost anything else, all hitting marines on 3+, wounding on a 4+, no armor save
then toss in the effects of combat drugs on her (and the rest of the squad) and it starts to get nasty

just for fun attach a Dracon on jetbike with (insert choice of equipment here) for some extra nasty fun

Elttaes
24-04-2006, 20:54
Dark Eldar are a difficult army, but they aren't that difficult.

The basic idea you have to get through your head is that your weapons all go through any enemy like a hot knife through butter, and every enemy weapon will go through _you_ like a hot knife through butter.

They have tremendous firepower and assault power, and are more fragile than you could imagine.

A LONG time ago, I was playing a 3-way game against some Space Marines and Chaos Marines. I had decided to try out a webway portal. My opponents were so freaked out by this that they decided to have a truce until they killed my army. Great, now I've got 1000pts against their 2000! So, I come out of the portal on turn 3 and tear into both armies. In that turn, I did about 500pts of damage to the Chaos side and 600 to the Space Marines. By the next turn, I had perhaps 200pts left on the board. The turn after that, I had nothing left, but both their armies were gutted.

I love Tyranids, and I'd highly recommend that you play them, but I like the DE, too.

If you would like suggestions about how to play them effectively, I'd recommend doing a search on here and maybe dakka as well for Dark Eldar. (There are a lot of negative people out there, but ignore them. Xtapl is one positive name I remember that does very well, though he(?) is quite experienced.)

It looks like the best bet is to use a Webway portal or two to hide most of the army on the first couple of turns. Put a couple of strong Warrior squads out first (hidden in terrain) to place the portals, and pretty much everything else in the Portals. The Portal stuff uses Raiders and some Reavers for high speed movement, shooting, then straight into assault once they come in from the portal.

One final note: play fair always, never fight fair. Gang up 2 or 3 squads on a single enemy target and obliterate them.

***Shameless Plug Alert***If you want more ramblings on DE tactics, check out my website, you can find it in my sig, below.