PDA

View Full Version : considering Daemons as first 8th ed army... 2k.

blackjack
01-02-2012, 19:51
Considering this as my first 8th ed Fantasy list.

Herald of TZ, Master of Sorc (life), Scroll (General)
Skull Taker
Herald of Khorne, Armor of K, Sword of Flames, Icon of Dispare

25 Horrors, Full Command, Icon of sorcery
30 Blood Letters, Full Command
30 Blood Letters, Full Command, Icon of endless war

5 Flamers
6 Flamers

1995pts.

Malorian
01-02-2012, 20:44
Hey Blackjack, good to have to back in fantasy :)

Skulltaker isn't what he used to be. Now that he is seeing attacks coming back he has gone the same way as the DE assassin.

The bloodletter hordes are on the small size (I'm assuming you will run them horde) as any losses will lose you attacks.

Finally flamers aren't what they used to be given that you have on average fewer turns to shoot plus you see more hordes what make their shooting not worth as much.

So dropping one unit of flamers would allow you to beef up the bloodletter units.

Now assuming this is for Onslaught you need to have more troops than any other section, so unless you want to take the 1 point hit (really isn't that bad really) then you could instead drop the skulltaker to beef up the bloodletters.

blackjack
01-02-2012, 21:34
Thanks Malor, no this is not for onslaught. I am out of actual gaming till after july.

If I drop taker I would still have to take a herald with armor just to get the hatred for my block...

Man lists sure get short when all you need to take are 2-3 giant horde blocks....

Eatery
02-02-2012, 01:55
I would recommend light over life, turns your bloodletters into crazy killers wIth ASF and +1A spell. I still find skull taker to be good but he doesn't give your unit hatred saddly. He may not be as good but he is still one of the best character killers and if you get that spell off to give him asf he's amazing especially for how cheap he is. I do agree on flamers one unit is enough. I would try to fit in a fiend or two as miss directors and war machine hunters or furries.

mistrmoon
03-02-2012, 04:22
Thanks Malor, no this is not for onslaught. I am out of actual gaming till after july.

If I drop taker I would still have to take a herald with armor just to get the hatred for my block...

Man lists sure get short when all you need to take are 2-3 giant horde blocks....

As far as i know the skulltaker is not strictly speaking a herald and does NOT have the locust of khorne and so does not grant hatred.

Dreadlordpaul
03-02-2012, 09:02
Skulltaker is still as powerful as ever

Arselskjut
03-02-2012, 09:21
playing daemons myself, I would go for larger blocks of bloodletters, skip the horrors, give the herald of tz wings and lore of shadow, miasma is nice for enemies that have high i when fightning bloodletters (so he can fly near a unit and recieve a 4+ lookoutsir.)
skip the flamers, I think they're rubbish, better is a block as large as you can make it of fiends of slaanesh, great for hacking infantry. Then ditch the great icon on bsb, run him clean with bsb, armour, and fireblade. perhaps two such heroes (but one bsb) instead of skulltaker, to pump upp your letterblocks:

1 Herald of Khorne
General
Armour of Khorne
Firestorm Blade

1 Herald of Khorne
Battle Standard
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne

1 Herald of Tzeentch
Magic Level 2
Master of Sorcery Shadow
Winged Horror

39 Bloodletters of Khorne
Standard; Musician
Icon of Endless War

1 Bloodreaper

38 Bloodletters of Khorne
Standard; Musician

1 Bloodreaper

7 Fiends of Slaanesh

1 Fiends of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Furies

Models in Army: 95

Total Army Cost: 1998.0

hardhitting, with single fiend acting as an eagle and furies as diverters or warmachine hunters.

Godzooky
03-02-2012, 10:48
As far as i know the skulltaker is not strictly speaking a herald and does NOT have the locust of khorne and so does not grant hatred.

I completely agree, but it would be totally cool if he did have access to it... :shifty:

Eatery
03-02-2012, 13:45
playing daemons myself, I would go for larger blocks of bloodletters, skip the horrors, give the herald of tz wings and lore of shadow, miasma is nice for enemies that have high i when fightning bloodletters (so he can fly near a unit and recieve a 4+ lookoutsir.)
skip the flamers, I think they're rubbish, better is a block as large as you can make it of fiends of slaanesh, great for hacking infantry. Then ditch the great icon on bsb, run him clean with bsb, armour, and fireblade. perhaps two such heroes (but one bsb) instead of skulltaker, to pump upp your letterblocks:

1 Herald of Khorne
General
Armour of Khorne
Firestorm Blade

1 Herald of Khorne
Battle Standard
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne

1 Herald of Tzeentch
Magic Level 2
Master of Sorcery Shadow
Winged Horror

39 Bloodletters of Khorne
Standard; Musician
Icon of Endless War

1 Bloodreaper

38 Bloodletters of Khorne
Standard; Musician

1 Bloodreaper

7 Fiends of Slaanesh

1 Fiends of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Furies

Models in Army: 95

Total Army Cost: 1998.0

hardhitting, with single fiend acting as an eagle and furies as diverters or warmachine hunters.

This +1. Only thing I like more is light over shadow as instead of lowering the enemies I, you increase your own. Plus the spells have very low casting valves so it can be pretty easy to get two or more spells off depending on the winds.

Borgnine
03-02-2012, 14:57
I completely agree, but it would be totally cool if he did have access to it... :shifty:

Dude, you are THE MAN for coming up with that (assuming you did)

I was going to make a funny joke, but you totally nailed it!!!

But yeah, he doesn't have locus of khorne and so doesn't grant hatred

blackjack
03-02-2012, 16:37
Thanks guys!

What do you guys think of the banner of dispare? Is it worth it in 8th?

Malorian
03-02-2012, 19:28
It's not as good as it used to be, but still a good banner.

thesheriff
05-02-2012, 09:04
Skulltaker is still as powerful as ever

No, hes really not. with a common magic item for both I10 and ASf, as well as a high prelavance of thsese rules anyway, he can and does get killed before striing back. He hasnt changed in raw power, just his suurondings have.

Regardless, i still think he is a decent choice in any army.

Now, onto the list;

Considering this as my first 8th ed Fantasy list.

Herald of TZ, Master of Sorc (life), Scroll (General)
Good solid caster. Life is the best lore to accompany bloodletters IMO, as opposed to light. Making them more durable removes there only weakness!

Skull Taker
See my commenst above. I would always put him on a juggernaught, and take the risk from being sniped. Having him charge out the unit with his statline (and a +1/++5 sv on jugger) is a sure fire way to cause some problems. But, hes still great on foot.

Herald of Khorne, Armor of K, Sword of Flames, Icon of Dispair
The firestorm blade is great, but risky. Being drawn into a challenge against something w/ Dragonhelm/Dragonbane gem/Dragon armour can see his end. Especially when your only other combat charecter will have the same problem. Daemonic robes, or just saving the points woudl be a better senario.

25 Horrors, Full Command, Icon of sorcery
Bit small. The idea with Daemons in this format is to get these guys @ Lv.4 (to handle dispelling) and have heralds w/ Loremaster doing the casting.
30 Blood Letters, Full Command
30 Blood Letters, Full Command, Icon of endless war
Now, heres where a suggestion will come in. Without heralds for hatred, Bloodletters are not as potent. You only have one herald. And your horrors are a bit small. So, Taking the points youve spent on core (1160 by my count), id reorganise it into;
*36 Horrrors w/ Full command, Icon of Sorcery, Changling = 547
*39 Bloodletters w/ Full command, Icon of Endless War = 523
*A juggernaught for Skulltaker = 25 Skaven Slaves
*An extra flamer = 17.5 Skaven slaves

5 Flamers
6 Flamers
I disagree with Malroian here. These guys are great, take as many of them as you can in a competative senario. They can pour on average 42 S4 Shots into a unit a turn (with 2x6 of them). They are a;lso great against smaller units obviously, warmachine hunters, flyers, lone charecetrs, even monsters!

1995pts.

Now, the suggestions ive given you there are for highly competative senarios. taking 6 Flamers is a very quick way to lose friends in all but the most competative senarios. I dont know your gaming group obviously, but i woudl get quite tired of seeing that every time.

But, good luck!

thesheriff

vinny t
05-02-2012, 13:36
I like the suggestions thesheriff had, although I think you should try to fit one or 2 single fiends in there. Single fiends are really good at killing chaff, redirecting, and assassinating casters.