5 Knights of the Blazing Sun- 115pts

Special
19 Greatswords, Full Command- 220pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Mortar- 75pts
Mortar- 75pts

1970pts

30 Points leftover. Any ideas how to use them?

Manling
03-02-2012, 00:45
put the Halbs at an even 50
make the greatswords an even 20
Maybe drop the mace and use a sword of power

let me know how the list works in playtests

calnen
03-02-2012, 22:01
You really need a wizard! I'd think about dropping the greatswords - 20 guys with ASL are only a target really, and not that good of one really. You need a horde or don't bother IMO.

Wesser
04-02-2012, 00:20
Still with the hatred gimmick... sigh sigh and double sigh.

As an Empire player I hope we lose this with the new book.

Powerful list if not particularly entertaining. Amusingly though I think it will have very big trouble against wood elves and brets

Ajax of Khemri
04-02-2012, 16:26
put the Halbs at an even 50; make the greatswords an even 20; Maybe drop the mace and use a sword of power

I think the OP's intention is to add a Priest to each Halberdier unit (for 50), and the Battle Standard Bearer to the Greatswords (for 20).

I would drop the Mace of Helstrum for a Sword of Swift Slaying or Gold Sigil Sword, as the ability to strike before the enemy helps the survivability of a solo chariot immensely (take it from a former Tomb King and current Dark Elf player!); The Dawnstone and Armor of Meteoric Iron combination is probably far less useful than the Armor of Destiny, its the same price, you give up some mundane armor save, but you get that oh-so-important ward save.

Take the 35 to 45 points my changes to the Arch-Lector's kit gives you, combine with the thirty you already have leftover, and you can grab another five Greatswords (for a 25 block, with BSB) and maybe even stick a spare Halberdier into each unit.

Two Cannons and two mortars seems like overkill, unless you insist on being Wizard-less. Without Wizard(s) you are going to be relying heavily on the warmachines to do their wizard's offensive job plus their own; Your Priests and the Winds of Magic will also be your only magical defense... you'll have the dice, but with nothing to add to the rolls, you better hope Sigmar (and Ranald!) likes you. Perhaps drop a cannon and mortar for a level two Battle Wizard with Channelling Staff and Armor of Tarnus?

Ajax of Khemri
04-02-2012, 16:28
Still with the hatred gimmick... sigh sigh and double sigh. As an Empire player I hope we lose this with the new book.

I'm actually switching to Empire from Dark Elves, not due to the Hatred rules (got that in spades!), but more for the fun of bound spell unit buffs and the bonus dispel dice.

scubasteve04
05-02-2012, 00:31
If you want a 4+ ward for the Empire BSB, then Holy relic, charmed shield and full plate is a better loadout. 3+ armor, 4+ ward, ignoring first hit for 8 points more then armor of Destiny.

New version of list:

Lords
Arch Lector, War Altar, Shield, Dawn Armor, Mace of Helstrum- 323pts

Heroes
Captain, BSB, Luckstone, AOMI- 105pts
Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Shield- 96pts
Warrior Priest, Heavy Armor, Shield- 96pts

Core
49 Halberdiers, Full Command- 265pts
49 Halberdiers, Full Command- 265pts

Special
24 Greatswords, Full Command- 270pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Great Cannon- 100pts
Mortar- 75pts
Mortar- 75pts

Ajax of Khemri
08-02-2012, 21:02
I'd never want to field an Imperial Battle Standard Bearer without a Ward save. That 1+ mundane Armor seems great, until the opponents character assassin(s) come over to say "Hi." There are just too many ways to ignore mundane armor.

Furthermore Dawn Armor seems rather useless on the Arch Lector; the War Altar already provides a 5+/4++ save, the armor is just duplicating what he's already got. Handing him a Dawnstone would have the same net effect (5+/4++, re-roll all failed armor saves), but chances are that anything he'll be worried about will be ignoring his mundane armor anyway.

Wbarobinson
15-02-2012, 13:57
What is the empire hatred gimmick? If you dont mind my asking...

calnen
15-02-2012, 14:05
What is the empire hatred gimmick? If you dont mind my asking...

If you put a warrior priest or archlector with a unit, they give it hatred. (Religious ravings and so on). Big blocks of halberdiers with a WP have become a very common sight in tournaments. (Some would say too common - hence 'gimmick').

Morax
16-02-2012, 14:51
Looks like a pretty standard empire list to me. Should preform like every other empire list built like this, well.

If you test the list out and find you still need some magic defense, a level 2 fire wizard with staff of sorcery for 135 gets the job done just fine when you have +3/4 dispel dice. No need for a second wizard as you should have as many dispel dice as he has power dice with a +3 to dispel. The Lore of Fire has a great sig spell and with 2 other spells in the lore that are amazing (flaming sword and the cage) I suggest you give it a go.

Note on the Popemobile, its an anvil not a hammer. It will fail you every time when used as a hammer so save the points and drop the magic weapon. If you find you need one to handle ethereals, (ie priets spells plus the lore of light aren'y cutting it) then go with the biting blade. Keep it cheap as it is there for being magical, not for killing things. Keep the dawn armor shield combo as he will get a 2+ rerollable 4++ with that set-up making him a better anvil, ie his roll in the list.

Ajax of Khemri
16-02-2012, 18:51
If you put a warrior priest or archlector with a unit, they give it hatred. (Religious ravings and so on). Big blocks of halberdiers with a WP have become a very common sight in tournaments. (Some would say too common - hence 'gimmick').

A Warrior-Priest is an incredibly effective force-multiplier, with a modest point cost, cool models, and nice fluff. Given that the Empire army list more-or-less revolves around "lousy troops made better with mediocre heroes and detachments," its hard for me to call playing the list that way a 'gimmick.' Our heroes range from 50-points to 90-points, base, and with modest gear loadouts end up somewhere around 100-points, give or take, each. That's a value only beaten by Goblins, and ours have a much more direct force-multiplier role... Its not a 'gimmick,' it's a theme.

warhammer353
18-02-2012, 21:43
I agree with the others, you need a wizard. Just a level 2 will do the job.