PDA

View Full Version : The space marine rhino... and your opinion on Games Workshop tanks.

Scaryscarymushroom
03-02-2012, 01:59
The thread is about games workshop tanks as a whole, but the poll asks specifically about rhinos. I wanted to make the poll concise and easy to answer, rather than being a complex question involving several exceptions or conflicting opinions.

How do you feel about Games Workshop's tanks? Do you think they're fun to build and paint? Or are they boring? Which ones do you like? Why?

Sternguard777
03-02-2012, 02:06
Metal Bawkses!

Inquisitor Aaron
03-02-2012, 02:18
I had a blast building my leman russ MBT's for my imperial guard, I personally just liked the kit for all the option that were available for fitting. The painting of it was alright but I attribute that too my painting skills.... which are by all means a little lack luster. :chrome:

Scaryscarymushroom
03-02-2012, 02:19
IMO, rhinos are boring. They look like metal bawkses and nothing more. Land Raiders are a bit better, and I have very little experience with Imperial Guard tanks.

Project2501
03-02-2012, 02:35
I think they look exactly as they've been portrayed. Standardized template constructed utilitarian modular mass produced bases.

I love them.

If you want unique snowflake, ork out a looted vehicle.

Kevlar
03-02-2012, 02:46
I think rhinos look silly. No one would ever design a vehicle to look like that.

http://www.military-today.com/apc/m113.htm

Captain Collius
03-02-2012, 03:49
i like rhinos but i don't like razorbacks or preds they lack something to make them special and realistic the turret on the razor looks wrong i prefer the fw variant

Jayden63
03-02-2012, 05:04
I see 40K as a sci-fi game. As such I love most of the Xenos tanks and really don't care much for the Imperial ones.

GrimZAG
03-02-2012, 05:24
I like the Rhinos. As Kevlar pointed out, they look like APCs. It seems suitably tankish.

New Cult King
03-02-2012, 05:49
I love how people don't like GW's tanks because they don't look like real world, current era tanks :D :D

I like the aesthetic, and I like how it continues across all of the SM vehicles.

Hendarion
03-02-2012, 08:36
Well, saying that one doesn't like Warhammer 40k tanks because they don't look like modern APCs is like saying one doesn't like science-fiction-movie space-ships (Alien anyone?) because they don't look like Space Shuttles.

Warhammer 40.000 is after all a science-fiction game about 39.000 years in the future. Future. Fiction. Not year 2k, not reality.

Although imo the Rhino is slightly boring and I hate its point-cost, the Razorback or Predator look pretty neat even to my eyes - the extra weapons make it *bling*. So I voted for "like it".

Hrw-Amen
03-02-2012, 09:06
I think the Rhino looks OK. It is nothing special but looks exactly like what it is supposed to be. I think the Predator looks OK, but I don't think the Razorback is that good myself, it looks a bit small for that gun and troops to me.

Generally I do like the overall look of the IG tanks, but i wish they had some ground clearance for the tracks. I know some people model them like that and I had hoped GW would review that when they redid the kits, but saddly no. I realise they are supposed to have the look of WW1 ear tanks so it is not a big issue and does not stop me buying them, just would be my preference if I had designed it.

The Ork vehicles look suitably Orkish, but could do with an accessory sprue to make each one different otherwise you end up with several ramshackle vehicles that juat happen to have random planks all randomly posistioned in the same place, which is just not realistic.

On a personal note I do quite like the look of the new Necron vehicles even if I do not like the way the army has gone.

Eldar and Tau I don't have much experience of but they look suitably alien.

Darl Eldar, I don't really like the open topped skimmer, they don't look like something a military force would use to me and look like carnival floats. I guess that is the idea?

I don't like my chaos tanks with too many spikes or skulls but generally they are similar to IG/SM ones so are OK. I quite like the FW chaos engines.

As I am a fan of SOB I really hope they do something with that terrible organ Exorcist thing, it is hideous and really lets the range down. I'd be happy with a Whirlwind with just something called Exorcist missiles to represent this. The FW one is good though. I do hope for a Repressor or similar when they are redone.

So overall, a few quirks but generally they are OK, probably the best one for fitting what it is would be the Rhino I think. Yes the Rhino is OK. Boring, but that is what it is.

Colonel Kolm
03-02-2012, 09:29
all told having collected many armies and many vehicles over the years i like what GW has done, the rhino and chimera are standard chassis for their respective armies which makes sense, and fits in the STC fluff of the game, i happen to think both are also great sets of models. and i think the vehicles in general have gotten a tad nicer with the advent of more detailed plastics so that they dont just look like boxes with wheels/treads etc.

Killgore
03-02-2012, 10:06
I think the Rhino is a fantastic model. Iv got Black Templates doors and Forgeworld decals on mine, which really helps bring the character of the model out

Marine
03-02-2012, 10:21
I love the Rhino and the 40k tanks as a whole. I will always remember getting my first Rhino back in '92ish and having so much fun putting it together. Even now, that enjoyment is still there!

ehlijen
03-02-2012, 11:32
I like the imperial box designs. They're all not quite perfect for any specific task, but flexible enough to be adapted to many different ones. The rhino's side doors look awkward to get through, the predator doesn't have the low profile its turret suggests the designers wanted, the whirlwind probably doesn't need the whole compartment box to still be there (the katyusha didn't)...but it all works from the one chassis needing the one set of spares and tools. That's the imperial creed: It might not work well, but if it means we can have more of it, that's actually better.

Bunnahabhain
03-02-2012, 12:14
I agree with everything Ehlijen just said.

I don't like their rules and impact on the game, but that can be solved with better rules. The models suit the setting well.

laudarkul
03-02-2012, 12:36
I like the Imperial way described the Imperial Guard Tanks: sternness and firepower. The Space Marines one's brings some agility, but Imperium of Man is about durability. So are fun to paint and assemble.

Juggernaut101
03-02-2012, 12:39
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks that Rhinos are utterly ... bland.

They look too much like a very cheap modeling kit to me; no details to speak of and painting them is just outright boring. You'd have to dump a lot of money into FW/Chapterhouse upgrades to make them cooler and that just isn't very practical.

IG tanks on the other hand ... half a dozen cheap Tamiya upgrades and you have enough stowage for a bloody tank company and the transports to boot. Besides, IG tanks just have more "micro" details ; makes them look more pleasing to the eye AND more fun to paint.

GW's alien tanks are fine as far as I'm concerned, the Orks could do with more individualism,though!

Captain Collius
03-02-2012, 12:57
also forgot to mention that that tanks are always the most fun to build

x-esiv-4c
03-02-2012, 13:25
I quite like the super-heavy range. Nothing screams "THIS IS WARHAMMARZ" then a Baneblade.

Garanaul the Black
03-02-2012, 13:56
I love GW's tank kits so much I should probably be playing Guard. I especially like assembling Rhinos and have a large standing force of it's variants (converted Predators and Vindicators), I just wish there were more variations available to my Chaos Marines (the Razorback kit is slowly tempting me into starting a loyalist marine force).

G

Radium
03-02-2012, 14:02
They're easy to build and paint, and they look decent enough on the tabletop. I just hate it how cheap GW has made the rhino and razorback, because now it's all I ever see being used.

ColShaw
03-02-2012, 14:04
Fun to build, but not much fun to paint. I don't like painting large, flat surfaces; it's one of the reasons I like infantry. I voted "Yes" because I like the imagery and styling; I just can hardly stand painting them.

Polaria
03-02-2012, 14:18
Ah, the ubiquitous Marine Metal Box. I love Rhino for the simplicity of assembly and for the clear and simple design. The kit is bland, but unlike other kits with 100+ parts and million little details the Rhino is a perfect canvas for converting and painting your own details into it. I have three and they are all slightly different from each other and especially from other Rhinos.

tu33y
03-02-2012, 14:56
the old russ used to be an utter UTTER swine-dog to build i thought, buut the new one is ace. I really LOVE thenew IG range of tanks... and in particular i think the new sentinel is genius

loveless
03-02-2012, 15:10
Fun to build, but not much fun to paint. I don't like painting large, flat surfaces;

This. I love the look of Space Marine vehicles (and Dark Eldar vehicles...and Imperial Guard vehicles...and Ork vehicles...and Necron vehicles...), but good lord, such a pain to paint in comparison to infantry.

Dux
03-02-2012, 15:40
This. I love the look of Space Marine vehicles (and Dark Eldar vehicles...and Imperial Guard vehicles...and Ork vehicles...and Necron vehicles...), but good lord, such a pain to paint in comparison to infantry.

For me its the opposite. I like the tanks and I like to paint them. But i hate painting infantry...

Konovalev
03-02-2012, 16:12
I love the look of the Rhino and the other vehicles which use its chassis. I hate building rhino chassis though because they are boring and in no way challenging.

carldooley
03-02-2012, 16:15
I suppose that I agree with Stalin, 'Quantity has a quality all its own' (and I play Guard).

I like tanks, and my meta hates me for it! ;)

de Selby
03-02-2012, 16:16
The rhino kit looks how it's supposed to but I don't find any of the Imperial vehicle designs very interesting. If I was designing a far future wargame from scratch I wouldn't fill it with rhinos and thunderhawks. I'd do AT-ATs and snowspeeders and so forth. The xenos skimmers are a lot more fun, particularly the recent range of BOATS IN SPAAAACE that Gw has been turning out.

totgeboren
03-02-2012, 16:45
I think the IG vehicles are generally quite sub-par. The lack of suspension and the comically small turrets are just too much for me. I have converted all my Lemans and chimeras, but now with the new boxes and their lack of small wheels, I can't really buy any more. The new ones would be much much harder to convert.
The SM vehicles are quite a bit better, they look sci-fi enough whilst still looking WW2 grim-darky.
Ork vehicles actually look more realistic than the imperial ones, and the Eldar/Tau vehicles look really cool.

Scaryscarymushroom
03-02-2012, 17:18

I'm this way too.
It took me about a month of working on an IG valkyrie at a casual pace to get it built. It's taken another 13 months to paint; and it's still not done. The sheer size and the huge amount of flat surfaces make it hard for me to stay interested in painting.

totgeboren
03-02-2012, 17:27
Finding tanks boring to paint is usually the result of one thing. Too small brushes.
I used to hate painting tanks, becuase they took so long and had such large bases. Now that I gotten some proper brushes for the task, I really enjoy painting tanks!

MagicHat
03-02-2012, 18:03
Love the Rhino. Loves the Razorback and Predator even more. They are so damn Imperial.
The only SM vehicle I dislike is the Stormraven. IMO, it would have looked better with a rear compartment, so the wings are roughly in the middle of the vehicle.

Painting them on the other hand... I have a hard time getting a smooth colour over such large areas. Freehand can only get you so far to cover up the fact that the colour is not even.

Phaeron Setek
03-02-2012, 18:21
The SM tanks (Rhino/Razorback/Whirlwind/Predator/Vindicator) seems to make sense as STC vehicle variant fluff-wise, but I don't see how ZERO change in the chassis allows the pred/vindi to have higher armor.

Assembly/Painting wise, I have liked every GW vehicle I have, from my SM bland boxes to my Eldar spearhead army to my newcron arks/barges. Then again, I just like the vehicles in general.

MagicHat
03-02-2012, 18:35
The SM tanks (Rhino/Razorback/Whirlwind/Predator/Vindicator) seems to make sense as STC vehicle variant fluff-wise, but I don't see how ZERO change in the chassis allows the pred/vindi to have higher armor.

Assembly/Painting wise, I have liked every GW vehicle I have, from my SM bland boxes to my Eldar spearhead army to my newcron arks/barges. Then again, I just like the vehicles in general.

Take another look at the Vindicator. Added front, side and top armour, not to mention a huge solid metal shield in front of it. Still as good/bad armour as a predator.
Added armour on the Predator would have looked nice, but then it wouldn't have been able to double as a rhino/razorback as easily.

Garanaul the Black
03-02-2012, 19:04
The only SM vehicle I dislike is the Stormraven. IMO, it would have looked better with a rear compartment, so the wings are roughly in the middle of the vehicle.

I'm the opposite, I REALLY like the way the Storm Raven looks but (again) have no reason to purchase one. Maybe some day I'll end up caving and doing a 'counts as' Blood Angels with my CSM. Or, GW could save me some trouble and release a CSM flier that's sorta similar... :D

G

hashrat
03-02-2012, 19:34
I had more fun putting 16 Chimeras together, than one Rhino.
Boring looking model. There are cooler looking APC's than the M113, hopefully they will rip of something a bit more interesting for the next version.
It's scale is pretty poor in comparison to a Astartes warrior aswell.

The Devourer
03-02-2012, 20:14
I find the overall shape ok but I don't like the lack of details. If you compare standard marine rhinos to GK/BA/IG/chaos vehicles it is really lacking in details. I find them very boring to paint.

burni
03-02-2012, 21:32
I don't mind the rhino but I really dislike the predator - something about the 'stick bits on a box'-iness about it.

I love the IG tanks though - love the looks and really enjoy building and painting them (badly... ) :D

Scribe of Khorne
03-02-2012, 22:14
Its exactly what its supposed to be, a mass produced transport. Could they bling it up a bit? Sure, but you can do that on your own with random bits as well.

Hey 1000 Posts. :p

FarseerBeilTan
03-02-2012, 22:43
Prefer Xenos vehicles but theres nothing wrong with the rhino kit

AquaSulis
03-02-2012, 22:56
I get the STC concept and can't deny the ease of putting the thing together but the scale of it versus a space marine just doesn't work for me. When I look at the picture in the SM codex that is my vision of the Rhino and its variants, whenever I put one together I feel like I'm missing half a kit ...

Panther Al
11-02-2012, 03:54
I like the Rhino/LR tracks (Tanker speak for Armoured Vehicles) in general, however, being a professional tanker, I hate the design ethos of not just the marine vehicles, but the IG ones as well. The IG even more to be fair. No suspension travel at *all*. At best, they would be able to move at a fast walk on anything not pavement smooth. Suspension Travel is why the much heavier Merkava is actually faster cross country than the lighter, and higher horsepowered Abrams.

But thats my real life experience talking, and this is a game so I turn that side of me off and roll some dice. Its still a great model, and painted up just right, its dead sexy.

lantzkev
11-02-2012, 04:10
Looks like I'm the only one who thinks that Rhinos are utterly ... bland.

They look too much like a very cheap modeling kit to me; no details to speak of and painting them is just outright boring. You'd have to dump a lot of money into FW/Chapterhouse upgrades to make them cooler and that just isn't very practical...

The practical side of little plastic men is your stumbling block?

agurus1
11-02-2012, 04:19
I like the rhino, I just think it should be larger, I don't think 10 marines could fit in it! The land raider looks good but the assault hatches should be larger too.

Other than that I love the IG range, and of course all of the forge world stuff!!!

As far as xenos go, tau are cool, and elder and dark eldar look Alien.

I like what has happened to the necron range too, space tiremes and all that!

Infern0
11-02-2012, 06:49
The normal GW rhino is ok, but I REALLY like the FW heresy one

InquisitorBoreal
11-02-2012, 07:03
I think rhinos look silly. No one would ever design a vehicle to look like that.

http://www.military-today.com/apc/m113.htm

Hehe :) I really like the SM tanks, having worked alongside M-113s, M-109s etc etc while in the army myself. Generally, I find GWs tanks great, with a few weird exceptions.

Tarax
11-02-2012, 08:38
I like the rhino, I just think it should be larger, I don't think 10 marines could fit in it! The land raider looks good but the assault hatches should be larger too.

Vehicles and infantry models are at different scales. If they were the same scale, it would look better, but on the tabletop would it be impractical (or maybe hte infantry would be harder to paint because they would be smaller).

I also like the Rhino, but on a Predator it is too high. If you look at most modern combat tanks, they have a low profile. Also, if you look at the Razorback and compare that to the Predator, you come to think that there is a lot of wasted space on the Predator, especially if to take the twin-linked Lascannon option.

Another thing that quirks me is that the all have small wheels. You never see a tank with big wheels. Or maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

logan054
11-02-2012, 09:17
I love the Rhino and the 40k tanks as a whole. I will always remember getting my first Rhino back in '92ish and having so much fun putting it together. Even now, that enjoyment is still there!

What you still putting it together? jesus man, I think you can only get so much enjoyment from gluing one tank unless your really just sitting at a desk with the glue pot open....

Sons of Lorgar
11-02-2012, 09:25
If the vehicles were upped to the same scale as infantry, wouldn't a chimera, leman russ and a rhino hull be about the size of a land raider today while the land raider would be around the size of a baneblade?

Ravening Wh0re
11-02-2012, 09:55
I recall Jes telling me that when he redesigned the new Rhino, it was loosely based on the Warrior tank.

I like how it looks and how it can be modified to become differing variants using the same basic chassis

LonelyPath
11-02-2012, 11:19
I'm a big fan of the Rhino, Razorback and Vindicator kits, I think they look fantastic. Also very partial to the Ork Trukk and Battlewagon, sadly not to keen on the other tank kits though (I'm of the opinion that Eldar and Tau vehicles look very boring and the Monolith is one of the worst kits out there).

Threeshades
11-02-2012, 11:47
I like my metal bawkses, although i think the razorback kit is better, because if you play it smart you have 2 kits in one and can use it as either a Razorback or rhino. All you have to do is not glue the roof plate on.

My favourite tank kits are Eldar tanks. Especially the current Fire Prism, I think it really captures the core aesthetic of a real tank and still has all the beauty of an eldar vehicle.
eldar tanks can be a bit of a pain to assemble though; in my experience the top and bottom of the main chassis don't fit together as neatly as they should and i always have to deal with a gap somewhere.

Kakapo42
12-02-2012, 00:29
You know when I first started out with 40k I couldn't stand the Imperial vehicles. Even now they're not my favourite tanks, but I must admit they are very slowly growing on me...

The Tau vehicles, on the other hand, I have always loved, and have always been my favourites. I'll take a futuristic high-tech hovering armoured death machine over a clunky metal box any day.

The other ones aren't that bad either, and I've always felt that the Ork machines have a lovely Mad Max feel to them.

Far Seer
12-02-2012, 05:26
When I first got into 40k, I avoided rhinos and their different variants (predator, vindicator, etc.) because they looked so boring. But now, my respect for them has grown. I like all of the tanks GW has produced, with the exception of the Leman Russ battle tank. It's just too bulky for my liking.

Rogerio
12-02-2012, 12:30
Love tanks and vehicles in 40k, my face vehicle in the game is the Hammerhead and its the main reason i started playing Tau. My first investment into my army was a battleforce and then 3 hammerheads!!!

Havock
12-02-2012, 15:22
I don't mind the rhino but many vehicles are just too "what."
Like the shot traps on the predator, and the lack of suspension on many imperial vehicles. And the ridiculously small turrets + big guns.

LR turret:

Proper MBT turret:

Kevlar
12-02-2012, 15:49
To be fair the russ is modelled more along the line of a world war one era tank. Back then they weren't meant for anti-tank warfare, they were mobile artillery pieces.

S_A_T_S
12-02-2012, 16:20
I like the rhino kit as it is good for what it is - a slightly more advanced by not massivly imaginative update of modern apc/armoured vehicles. Part of what I like about GW and 40k in particular is the pessimistic viewpoint. It may be 39,000 years ahead of us, but humanity is stagnant and has not made new designs for at least 10,000 years. They even consider their best designs to be those from maybe 20,000 years before! I especially like the plug and play functionality in the bacground, that the rhino is so simple and efficient that there are many bolt-on options that let it fulfil any function.

What I DON'T like is Chaos also using rhinos. After all that time in the warp, and all they have to show for it is a defiler? I want to see more daemon engines, possibly remove dreadnoughts, definitely remove vindicators, buff the defiler with more options to replace them both (it's basically a dread and vindi mixed together anyway), a chaos specific land raider variant (instead of the burny one, can't remember what it's called, the one with awesome flame cannons) and give us another daemon engine.

Glen_Savet
12-02-2012, 18:54
The kits themselves I enjoy assembling. I dislike painting them, and I hate, with a firey burning passion that burns like fire, playing mech. Hate playing with it, hate playing against it. Just hate mechanized armies. So boring.