PDA

View Full Version : Malorian Pattern NG and Spider banner

musical
03-02-2012, 08:51
Hi I run a Night Goblin theme army and have a unit of 100 NG. I have been running them with a few Malorian pattern Bigbosses (great weapon) for the hitting power but I am thinking about using the Spider banner (poison attacks) on the unit. My question is with poison would it be better for my boss to have extra attacks as opposed to S6 or should I keep the GW?

Kalandros
03-02-2012, 10:15
The spider banner is bad idea for two reasons:
A goblin big boss has to hold it - which means T4 and at most 5+ armor save on foot.
Its your important BSB model - you don't want it to be easily killed.

You'll probably get no use out of it before it dies.

MOMUS
03-02-2012, 10:31
Malorian pattern?* :p

It kinda suffers like the idea of a skink BSB - too squishy. They are ok for a cheap guy to hold it in a bunker, dishing out the re-roll, safe behind your lines but in a front line combat squad its a bit risky.

*Malorian pattern land raider with twin-link orc. hehe

Col. Dash
03-02-2012, 12:03
I use it with 100 archers and it does great. If you have a whole army of goblins, T4 is pretty good. One thing I was informed of earlier this week is that apparently its a pretty popular build in the UK. I learned adding a Black Orc(which defeats the theme, I know) big boss will improve the unit greatly. Field it 20 wide and you are getting roughly 70 poisoned shots, 40 on the stand and shoot, + fanatics, + however many x2 are in base to base combat with poisoned hits. Not very many opponents will charge it. I usually have some hero with the Iron Curse Icon as well.

Where did this Malorian pattern gobbo name thing come from? People were doing that as soon as the army book came out. Oh, and because we have had the conversation in the past, he is against the poison banner archer thing(or was, he might have come around).

Djekar
03-02-2012, 13:12
I've used a similiar unit without the big bosses. I think the key to using that unit effectively is to keep it out of combat where the aforementioned weedy BSB can stay alive a while.

Malorian
03-02-2012, 13:39
Where did this Malorian pattern gobbo name thing come from? People were doing that as soon as the army book came out. Oh, and because we have had the conversation in the past, he is against the poison banner archer thing(or was, he might have come around).

I wasn't the first to toss a GW on a night goblin, but I was the first to spam them (at least on these forums).

Getting this called "Malorian pattern" been pretty cool though :D (Ranks up there with the Spite rumor I accidently started for dark elves that took the internet by storm.*)

Anyway, like has been sad, I am not a fan of it because the BSB is so expensive and so easy to kill.

If you do try it, make sure to put him on the edge of the unit, make sure there is something else to take challenges, and maybe even make the unit 11 wide to help keep him out of combat.

Actually, if you want to go extreme, just like how my logic lead me to units of 100 night goblins, if you have two units of 100 in your list you might as well join them to make one MASSIVE unit with a frontage of 20. By doing this you can now add this poison bsb, place him on one side, and have a much easier time keeping him safe.

*Edit: Before people ask, I posted up an idea after the HE book came out (and they got ASF) that DE should have a rule called spite. Basically a killed DE model would still get to attack even if killed (remember this is back in 7th) and thus would be the perfect balance with HE's ASF.

Well this moved out of the rules developement thread and made it way to rumors, and especially the DE forums (Drucii net?). It wasn't until months later that I found it and laughed :)

musical
03-02-2012, 14:27
MASSIVE unit with a frontage of 20.

Malorian you are one sick psycho :eek: (in a good way :angel:) I might just do that. However I don't have that many NG kicking about so I might just go 15-16 wide and 10 deep.

Welfstar
03-02-2012, 14:34

Hahaha. Not to blow my own horn, but I coined the phrase 'Malorian-pattern' (referring to a NG BB with GW) last year on the Orc thread. And yeah, Mal wasn't the first to run these guys, but he pushed them hard as part of his 100-strong NG blocks. I've used the unit (and the those little Gobbo heroes) to good effect, so I started using the phrase in honour/appreciation of Malorian.

To chime in on the OP's question, I'd avoid the Spider banner. Points are better spent elsewhere.

Col. Dash
03-02-2012, 14:39
I have been going 100 with a frontage of 20, 5 deep as normal anyway since rumors of the army book dropped their cost. Usually there is at least a second hero with iron curse icon and by the point of combat, he has outlived his usefulness against warmachines and can take or make challenges. I am going to try the UK build and have a Black Orc leader for leadership and maybe to take challenges. Plan is to have him with a goblin on his shoulders, can you ask "Who runs Bartertown?"(movie reference for you youngin's)

MOMUS
03-02-2012, 14:52
Actually, if you want to go extreme, just like how my logic lead me to units of 100 night goblins, if you have two units of 100 in your list you might as well join them to make one MASSIVE unit with a frontage of 20. By doing this you can now add this poison bsb, place him on one side, and have a much easier time keeping him safe.

Gah! Malorian! You psychically stole my idea!
I was considering running a mega skrox horde with a skink BSB with the frenzy banner.

Malorian
03-02-2012, 15:20
Gah! Malorian! You psychically stole my idea!
I was considering running a mega skrox horde with a skink BSB with the frenzy banner.

Don't bother with skrox, put him on the end of a mega saurus unit.

MOMUS
03-02-2012, 19:33
!!! I was thinking of that but i think it only works on the skinks...or that might be the special character hate... better go check that..

calnen
03-02-2012, 22:07
I played against a list like this in a tourny (Sheffield Slaughter) last weekend. It was good against no-armour infantry, but I charged in with 6 empire knights and the poison did nothing, so once it was tied up in combat the halbs could wade in and beat them.

(Still lost the game though!)

MOMUS
04-02-2012, 08:56
I would think poison good on low S troops like skinks or gobbos (against knights), as its just extra wounds mounting up. Meaning you have to roll more saves and thus more chance of you rolling ones. Although the skinks have stand and shoot aswel.

Djekar
04-02-2012, 13:36
The Goblins generally get to stand and shoot as well (though it is tougher against knights) and then if you have a big horde of them 10 wide you are getting 3 ranks of attacks that are also poison so it does start to mount up after a while. For a person who has lamented the lack of poison for years after watching giant after giant fall to skinks and gutter runners, I enjoy fielding the poison night goblin stikkas for a change.

w3rm
04-02-2012, 15:24
One of the best warhammer players I know runs a massive unit of 70 NG w/ bsb w. poison banner, a level 4 ng, warboss and lvl 4 orc shaman, nets and fanatics. It's deff worth it.