PDA

View Full Version : Wife attacks the Legio Custodes - my views as she descends into madness

Morathi's Darkest Sin
24-04-2006, 10:09
I'm running this thread on behalf of my lovely wife, she's not a huge fan of posting on forums but I'm that impressed with how its going, I thought it be interesting to post my views looking in from over her shoulder.

She has however agreed to reply to any queries through this thread, via myself.

Ok so after seeing the Custodes figure that got a statue at Games Day last year and being quite disappointed in its standard, she feels the need to begin her Custodes force early. I just didn't realise how early, I came home from work last night to find she had spent a good portion of the day attacking the bits box to make her first test figure.

The following pic is the frame, after pinning it's body together and preparing it for the first stage of Green stuff. The Deathwing fella is mine, just to show a sense of scale of the figure.

On a side note most of the bits are held on by blue-tak, only the legs and body are glued so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/MorgthNthrog/24-04-06.jpg

She decided to start with the standard bearer of the Foot Knights, as in her own words.. 'why not' and to be honest I couldn't really argue with it.

She plans to eventually do a two 5 man squads of Foot Knights, a 5 man squad of Ares Guard, a Hero and 3 Custode Jetbikes. Then from there who knows, but I have heard her pondering on how big their Terminators will be compared to the standard Custodes.

Anyways, I'll post as she gets more done.

Reign in Blood
24-04-2006, 10:30
I am just subscribing to the thread because the fact that your wife thinks she can do better is something I would very much like to see. The test figure makes me think she could do it but I would have to see some painted models. Tell her to keep up the good work.

frod
24-04-2006, 10:30
Hmm I think it's a little large, whilst the fluff indicates they are a bit bigger than regular marines I don't think they're THAT much bigger, head and shoulders above a marine sounds about right rather than chest head and shoulders, other than that however it looks very interesting

Morathi's Darkest Sin
24-04-2006, 10:46
She says the reasoning is due to the height of the Ares guard standing next to the Emperor in a pic from the Heresy artbook, compared to the Horus v's Emperor scene and the height of the Chaos Marines around the Emperor. She does however admit that is guess work mostly.

Although I should warn you she is of the Opinion Marines are currently not to scale.. and when she gets around to doing her Blood Angels force she intends to up their scale by a few mm. :D

frod
24-04-2006, 11:56
I agree that the marines are not to scale, I've got the HH2 art book open to the picture with the Emperor, Sisters of Silence and Custodian Guard big picture, now I reckon that those Sisters are likely to have the same stature as the SOB which are some of GW's best proportioned figures, going for a similar open legged stance figure as the one 2nd on the right from the Emperor.

Picture Height 128mm to top of Head, model height 29.5mm 4.34:1 relationship

The custodian Guard captain to the Left of the Emperor is 158.5mm in the picture which should give a model height of approximately 36.5mm

The Emperor would be 41mm

A normal metal marine figure is just over 30mm tall but should be closer to 33mm tall to be an accurate representation of their 7ft tall size

Yodhrin
24-04-2006, 15:24
I agree that the marines are not to scale, I've got the HH2 art book open to the picture with the Emperor, Sisters of Silence and Custodian Guard big picture, now I reckon that those Sisters are likely to have the same stature as the SOB which are some of GW's best proportioned figures, going for a similar open legged stance figure as the one 2nd on the right from the Emperor.

Picture Height 128mm to top of Head, model height 29.5mm 4.34:1 relationship

The custodian Guard captain to the Left of the Emperor is 158.5mm in the picture which should give a model height of approximately 36.5mm

The Emperor would be 41mm

A normal metal marine figure is just over 30mm tall but should be closer to 33mm tall to be an accurate representation of their 7ft tall size

Closer to eight in armour. My own truescale process results in marines almost exactly 34mm tall, and my rough imagining of one of them standing next to the Custodian shown makes me think that it could do with dropping perhaps one or maybe 1.5mm in height, as at the moment it's larger than a truescale Marine by a similar amount that a truescale Marine is larger than the standard sculpts, which is a little on the large side, imo.

Looking good though, is she going to put them in standard Marine-style armour(ie, the known Marks and with backpacks), or their own ornate style powered full-plate?

Inquisitor lorr
24-04-2006, 16:00
This looks really cool and is what i am aiming for-i just need some more bits-anyway i think it looks cool but maybe a new head from the high elf fantasy range would fit the pics....just a suggestion:)

starlight
24-04-2006, 16:14
Does she have a sister?:angel:

Seriously, I'm really looking forward to this project. Its always good to have people out there raising the bar for the rest of us.:D Make sure you get lots of step-by-step pics.:D

malika
24-04-2006, 16:40
Wow this is really cool! Im curious how this will go further!

Morathi's Darkest Sin
24-04-2006, 22:25
No worries.. will do each stage of green stuff and extra models and so forth for peoples viewing pleasure. :D

Anyways I got back from work tonight, and she had decided to double check her size was accurate, so partially inspired by frod's concerns she did this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/MorgthNthrog/sizecomparison.jpg

As you can see her test Blood Angel brings the scale of the Custodes into focus, but damn when I saw that next to my guard all I could think of was... 'Don't get on the wrong side of him!!' and that she's planning to do a 2000pt Blood Angels army in that scale. :eek:

Anyways she thanks those so far for their interest, and I will endevour to bring fresh pics asap.

Oh and as a final note.. she did ask me to stress she is not so certain she will paint the figure better the J.N, its just she felt the conversion of the Custodes he did could have been so much more than it was.. thus this thread.

starlight
24-04-2006, 22:35
Still no word on the sister.........:angel:

:p

Interesting comparison. Is that a Catachan arm or an Ork one on the Cadian? I'm guessing Catachan. I'm actually using Catachan and Marine parts to build my Marine Scout army so I'm following this Scale Thread with great interest.:D Now I'm going to have to re-do my Marines to suit their little brothers.:p

frod
24-04-2006, 22:37
Was your deathwatch figure bent over ? because whilst I still think your wifes figure is a little too tall, it doesn't appear to be as tall as I first thought, I think I'd still lower him by between 0.5mm and 1mm though all of that off the legs, looks very promissing though

Morathi's Darkest Sin
24-04-2006, 22:46
starlight.. yep Catachan arm. my Hellesvour where catachan based, but more and more Cadian parts have mixed into them as they are not jungle fighters, but come from a volcanic Deathworld.. so gets a might warm wearing full body armour.

As to a sister, hmmm well she does.. but... well to put it lightly.. all of my wifes relatives hate this stuff. :confused: Don't understand it myself.. how can you not like warhammer 40k??? ;)

frod I think the Space wolf one was a little forward.. my poor Deathwatch.. they feel like they're being trodden all over by bigger brothers. :D

Yodhrin she's planning to do them as they are in the pictures from the Heresy book, all in ceremonial armour and the long cloaks.

starlight
24-04-2006, 23:00
:(...........................:shrugs: ;)

I think that your/her sizing is accurate,so I'm looking forward to the onging saga.:D Pass on the Kudos.:D

Astador
24-04-2006, 23:16
Well normally I lurk in these threads, but this one I felt strong enough to post in.
You are a lucky man! Your wife is building a Custodes force and a 2000 pt. BA force in true scale! They look damn good for no sculpting work yet! Can't wait for more.

DraXaus
24-04-2006, 23:57
You're one lucky man MDS. Not only do you have someone who enjoys the hobby, but also has some really good conversion skills to boot.

Thousandth Son
25-04-2006, 00:46
I am looking forward to seeing some progress on this project, shame about the sister thing though...:D

icebergman
25-04-2006, 01:40
Wow! That is totally awesome you have a wife that's into the hobby too. Looks like she rocks at the modeling part of the hobby too. Tell her to keep up the good work and looking forward to more pics.

KayvaanShrike
25-04-2006, 20:35
I like the scale, was kinda thinking it might be too much towards Inquisitor size, but seeing it next to a marine it looks ok, and if you have a whole force of them, you won't notice. I like the scale of the BA test mini as well, looks better than the current out the box size.Keep up with the pics please.

Satan
26-04-2006, 12:14
Really nice conversion. I think the true-scale marine looks like a really smooth job. As for pedantics I guess she could lower the Adeptus Custodes figure a millimeter, but I don't think it's vitally essential. It's looking really great and I look forward to seeing the greenstuffed parts. Give my regards and well-wishes to your wife with this project. You're a lucky man to have found someone who'd willingly immerse themselves into the hobby. Or maybe she's a lucky woman to have found you.

precinctomega
26-04-2006, 14:22
Can your wife please speak to my wife? She can't deal with anything that involves even the abstract concept of hurting people...

All together now...

R.

starlight
26-04-2006, 18:08
Heck my (now ex-) wife had as many armies as I do. Brets, Empire, Dwarfs, Wood Elves, DoW, Tyranids.....I think that was it.