PDA

View Full Version : A charge from more than 1 fear-causer

Yasmin
24-04-2006, 10:49
A unit is charged by more than one fear-causing enemy units. But its Unit Strength is higher than their enemies.
The charged unit tests fear twice.

If it fails one of them, do they roll 6 to hit only against this unit they failed fear-test or against both units?

After reading a BRB I came to the conclusion you roll 6 to hit against every enemy, but my friends tell me I'm wrong and that you get a penalty to hit only against this unit you failed the test.

Who's right?

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-04-2006, 10:57
We apply it only against the unit you failed your test against. Thats how I see it played, but I do believe your right in that it's not perfectly clear in the rules.

T10
24-04-2006, 13:25
This isn't covered by the rules, really. However, you take one Fear test for being charged by fear-causing units. If the units outnumber you you flee.

As for hitting on 6's, the ruels do not really cover the situation where you are fighting a mix of models that cause fear and don't. Strictly by the book you need 6's to hit anything if the fear test was failed. It seems to be common practice that this penalty is only applied against models that cause fear.

-T10

Atrahasis
24-04-2006, 13:54
You take a fear test for each fear-causing charger. Each result is treated separately, ie if you fail one and pass another, you need sixes to hit only against the enemy you failed against.

The enemy do NOT combine US to determine flight in this instance.

Chronicles/Annual 2004 Q&A.

Kroxhandler
02-05-2006, 23:51
This isn't covered by the rules, really. However, you take one Fera test for being charged by fear-causing units. If the units outnumber you you flee.
-T10

Err....you're thinking about Terror now aren't you? Failed Terror-test equals fleeing troops, failed Fear-tests equals hitting on 6's, right?
The outnumbering is only relevant when seeing if you autobreak when beaten by a fearcausing enemy AFAIK If they aren't more than you, take a break test. Else you just leg it.;)

Have I got it right?

momfreeek
03-05-2006, 01:55
Err....you're thinking about Terror now aren't you? Failed Terror-test equals fleeing troops, failed Fear-tests equals hitting on 6's, right?
The outnumbering is only relevant when seeing if you autobreak when beaten by a fearcausing enemy AFAIK If they aren't more than you, take a break test. Else you just leg it.

No. If you fail a fear test when charged by an enemy with greater unit strength then you flee. If they don't have higher unit strength then you hit on 6s.

momfreeek
03-05-2006, 02:11
A similar example:
Consider a fear-causing character in a non-fear-causing unit (eg nurgle character in herd/marauders). If charged by them and you fail fear, you only hit on 6s versus the character. Not an official ruling, but it makes sense. The rules are unclear.

Taking the rules literally, if an outnumbering unit with a single fear-causing character charged you and you failed fear, you would flee even though the US of fear-causing creatures is just 1. Its fairly obvious that this is not the correct approach. Some common sense is needed to resolve these situations.

Kroxhandler
03-05-2006, 11:41
No. If you fail a fear test when charged by an enemy with greater unit strength then you flee. If they don't have higher unit strength then you hit on 6s.

So it does. heh, I guess I shouldn't be reading rules at 03 in the morning. My bad.