PDA

View Full Version : deploying

medevilmike
04-02-2012, 13:58
the premise is simple, i won roll off to pick sides, do i have to deploy a unit first or can i make my opponent deploy first? says winner picks sides and then you take turns deploying, dont think it specifies otherwise.

theunwantedbeing
04-02-2012, 14:21
The roll off to see who gets to pick sides is simply that.
You roll off, the winner picks.

medevilmike
04-02-2012, 15:32
thank you uwb, question isnt about sides, i get my side if i win and fully understand that. the question is do i have to drop a unit first, or can i force my oppisition to place first?....say i have 21 drops in my army and know i am not getting the +1 for finishing first, can i make my opponent drop first there for gaining a tactical advantage over him\her?

theunwantedbeing
04-02-2012, 16:22
I think you misunderstood (or I worded it wrong).

If you win the roll, you choose whether you or your opponent deploys first.
However if you decide that your opponent should deploy first, they get to choose sides not you.

Nightsong
04-02-2012, 16:33
Page 142 Alternating Units. "roll off to see who sets up the first unit" This done after sides have been chosen as per the rules of the scenario which is most often a roll off.

SteelTitan
04-02-2012, 17:44
Page 142 Alternating Units. "roll off to see who sets up the first unit" This done after sides have been chosen as per the rules of the scenario which is most often a roll off.

The way I read that is that if I roll higher, I HAVE to deploy first. I don't get to say 'ow, i won...you deploy first'.

This in contrast with what theunwantedbeing said...

Nightsong
04-02-2012, 18:53
I only posted that to in response to the Unwantedbeing. In his post it came across as choosing sides and deploying were part of the same roll off and it is in fact two seperate dice rolls. The book does not say, you roll and the winner decides. So if you take the book literally in this part then you must deploy first. My group does not play that way, winner picks.

LiddellHart
05-02-2012, 19:48
Yep, seperate rolls and "choice or not" it is even FAQ'ed:

Q: When players roll off to see who deploys first, gets the first turn
etc. must the winner deploy first, take the first turn etc.? (p144-150)
A: Yes, unless is specifically states that they get to choose.

vinush
05-02-2012, 20:10
IIRC, you choose sides first then roll off to see who places units first, depending on the scenario being played.

THE \/ince

Harwammer
05-02-2012, 21:18
The rules are a bit of a higgeldy piggle to work out for getting the game started. Or at least it took me a lot of flicking to get there.

For Pitched Battle 1: Battleline this is what happens:
Roll dice. Winner decides which side they want as a deployment zone.
Roll dice. Winner puts down a unit first (then alternating)
Roll dice. Winner takes the first turn (don't forget modifier for finishing deployment first).

This is the general structure to getting started BUT there are exceptions so pay attention to exceptions that may be listed in the remaining 5 pitched battle or narrative battle scenarios.